PDA

View Full Version : "Masculine" voices...

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 03:05 PM
This is a UNITED STATES only thing... but I find this very funny. No matter where I go in the USA, when I hear a guy talking with his "buddies" and they are asking how the other person is... they adopt a Southern Drawl or even a dumb "Surfer" accent. Why is that? Is that supposed to be an "I care, but I can't seem to care, so if I say it in a different accent, it might sound more manly" thing? The person the question is directed to often also mimics the accent... It is so amusing to me. Sometimes, not as often, I hear a person using a thick New Yorker accent. This practice happens often at gyms or bars. Since the accent has nothing to do with the person's regional origin it strikes me as being very funny. Very funny to me indeed!!!

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2002, 04:51 PM
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. My roommate gets like that when he is in a crowd. Every time he talks he adapts his voice to the environment he is in.
For example:
Instead of saying "baseball cards", he says "baseball caads."
There is no pronouncing of the letter R.
Sounds like a northern accent.
Also he has a good buddy that doesnt talk, he yells. When around him he yells as well.
I dont know why people do this, but I have noticed it as well.

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 05:16 PM
I know what your talking about, but it doesn't happen around me often. My friends and myself always talk in our normal voices, we don't add any type of accents or anything of that nature.

Jargo
04-02-2002, 05:37 PM
It's even worse over here in the UK. Try listening to an American accent coming from a non American. Thank you so much Budweiser "WASSSSSSUUUUUUPPP!!!" and crap like that. My brother greets me with slurred pseudo american accents. Like he's just walked from the Bronx to my house. Six year old kids scream in American accents at each other while kicking a ball around in the street. Pretty soon there will be no real accents left, just some mangled pseudo accent that transcends comprehension and becomes a slurred grunting shout. Kinda like a monkey shreak Duuuuuude. Kewl.....

Sorry JP, I know you said US only but........ :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Two words: Televison. Movies.
What's popular? The Sopranos, Budweiser "How ya doin'?" commercials, the Hollywood "lifestyle" (where it's assumed we all live near the beach, drive sports cars, meet celebrities daily, and eat at Spago's), etc. I hear Eric Cartman voice imitations all the time, and South Park is not so "in" anymore. Even Ah-nold's accent is still in use. It's imitation, or as the Red Hot Chili Peppers call it, California-ication (can't use their word). Nothing more than people trying to be something they're not.

However, I've got a great Scottish accent you've never heard before! And my George Bush Sr.? Nah gonna d'it! :rolleyes:

DeadEye
04-02-2002, 06:52 PM
I see it all the time...:rolleyes:

Fulit
04-02-2002, 07:14 PM
I can't stand the kids from rich neighborhoods who talk the "gangsta South Central L.A." talk or slang or whatever that MTV is currently cramming down their throats. Or adults for that matter. I about fell out one day when I overheard two 30 year old guys in business suits talking about how something was "da bomb". And he said "da", not "the". Hilarious.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Sorry JP, I know you said US only but........ :rolleyes:

Well... I haven't been to your side of the pond in a few years and I don't know how much of that has now littered your culture. I just think it is the most hilarious thing. People get so stupid- "posing". Just be yourself for Chrissakes! :rolleyes:

jeddah
04-03-2002, 06:46 AM
Wiggers are the worst, IMO

jeddah

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 09:57 AM
Blame MTV for the proliferation of jive talking middle-class white kids. Yeah... you're so ghetto. Let me take you for a little ride and we'll see who you impress acting like that in the REAL hood! ;)

Dryanta
04-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Live in Maine where most of us have a heavy accent naturally(if that's the right term).
I can't stand the "ebonics(?) coming out of peoples mouths around here.Give me a break!!Also the whole New York thing is ridiculous too.
I'm a person who has a voice that starts somewhere around my knees.It's hard for some to understand me because at times it's so deep I sound like I'm kinda growling.Now Imagine how stupid I'd sound if I decided to talk like that.No thanks it's bad enough now.
I also hope "wigger" doesn't mean what it used to :eek:

Dave_Cameron
04-03-2002, 12:39 PM
I think it does, Dryanta. I live out in the northwest now, but I still hear a lot of guys lapsing into that "drawl" as well. "Wut's up Jawrge?" "Nuuuuhthin'. Ah juss did sum runnin' uhround this morrrrrnin' ". I hate that because they start speaking with their normal accents within five minutes.

Dryanta
04-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks dave.I was hoping it was a another term that's changed meanings and I was just out of touch again.
To bad if it still means what it used to

notafinga
04-03-2002, 09:21 PM
I had a really good buddy in high school (unfortunately, I haven't talked to him since his wedding 3 years ago, and aproximately five years prior) who had a British accent (sorry, Jargo, I couldn't say what part) by nature but would alternate between that accent and an American accent in the middle of his sentences.

It used to drive us crazy, 'cuz throughout high school he never displayed his British accent, but post graduation came in touch with his "roots", so to speak.

I can understand, though. If I lived in England I would definately adopt the accent in a short period of time and acclimate myself accordingly. I absorb alot from people I am in direct contact with, and do not mind altering my speech to communicate effectively.

RE: 'fit in'.
:rolleyes:

Tycho
04-04-2002, 01:52 AM
And guys- swearing, too.

I have nothing against saying words I can't post in SSG's forums myself, but I CHOOSE not to.

I use them when I really need to express something's so F**D
that I have to say so!

What other words do I have left if I've already used the strongest ones in my arsenol?

Intelligent, confident people who are sure of themselves can express ideas - 10 times more powerful than lingos, accents, or swear-words.

Ever notice how a couple of buddies in private, or around their girlfriends, don't cuss a lot. Then put them in a situation where they meet some other dudes that are new to them, and off they go swearing - F'N this, and F'N that. Like it makes them sound tough.

To me, I hear FEAR.

Fear attracts me to the fearful, the strong, the weak, the innocent, and the corrupt. Fear is my ally. Soon you will only know ONE fear!

-and I seriously don't think Darth Maul EVER swore in his life. He didn't need to - when everybody else saw them (right before their life ended) - they did all the swearing for him - and at the best time for that sort of language!

Sithspawn! LOL

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 02:00 AM
Fictional characters aside, I too notice that a lot of "cool, preppy, jocks, whatever" constanly swear around each other. F this and F that, this is BS, that is BS, etc. I think it goes back to that natural, primal instinct to appear greater than the next guy. Then there are people like "The Osbournes" who use that type of language more often than words like "hello" or "fish."

I very rarely swear, only when I really think I need to get a point across, or reinacting lines from a movie. I find it very primal and unevolved to go around acting like that.

Fulit
04-04-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Then there are people like "The Osbournes" who use that type of language more often than words like "hello" or "fish."

I must be like an Osbourne. :D I consider myself fairly intelligent, and I swear quite a bit around the home and such. I think words are all about the value you assign them. In public though, I do keep it to a minimum, especially in front of the elderly and children. That's mostly because I don't like attention drawn to myself, and nothing draws attention like sailor-talk in public, esp. around here. I think that's the sign of intelligence, whether or not you care who's listening.

It's like Johnny Rotten once said, when asked "Why all the infamous language"? He said, "I speak nothing but the f---ing English language". It's just a word.:happy:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
It's like Johnny Rotten once said, when asked "Why all the infamous language"? He said, "I speak nothing but the f---ing English language". It's just a word.:happy:
Not everyone thinks words are "just a word." I will list all the cuss words I currently use to see if any get edited:
crap!
shoot!
dang!
darn!
arr! :Pirate: (seriously!)
d'oh!
idiot
stupid
jerk
dork

That's all, and I don't use these all that often. I feel that profane language sets a bad example to everyone, not just "the elderly and children." I want to set a good example. Now, have I NEVER used profanity? Of course I have, and when anyone hears me, they know I am extremely angry. And I apoligize afterwards.

(What was the thread topic again? :rolleyes: )

Fulit
04-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Not everyone thinks words are "just a word."

I understand that. That's just my personal opinion. Believe me, I've come across more than one person who objected to words I used. I just apologize, and if they can't accept that, then, pbthhht!:p I don't consider it to be my job to set a good example for anyone, that's for other people to do if they want. I just don't think using certain words makes you a bad person, maybe unless you go around calling people horrible names all the time. Ah, enough about me, what was the topic? ;)

Tycho
04-04-2002, 08:56 PM
I just agree with Wolfwood, it's a bit "unevolved," as he put it, LOL.

I suppose people who swear ALL THE TIME are not hypocrites either, but the thread started when it concerned how people change their behavior to posture, show-off, or act bigger than they are.

Your actions define you more than your words. I have nothing against swear words, but if you heard me cussing, you know I am mad. If I heard someone swear all the time, I'd have difficulty telling when they are REALLY mad. When do I take them seriously?

I act in a manner where I can always be myself and I speak if I have something interesting or important to contribute. That is the most powerful thing I can say about my own social interaction.

I don't change personalities and / or the way I express myself much at all for different audiences. Only when I am at a loss for words, do I really swear.

I've perceived that some people FEAR ME because they cannot debate me without resorting to swearing or personal attacks - and like Wolfwood was pointing out, it shows the limits of their intellectual development.

Thus swearing is a last resort weapon for the weak. Those who are doing it are pointing out to everyone that they have nothing better left to say. Thus they lost aleady.

Fulit
04-04-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

Thus swearing is a last resort weapon for the weak. Those who are doing it are pointing out to everyone that they have nothing better left to say. Thus they lost aleady.

I could agree w/ that to an extent. If someone can't get into a civilized discussion w/out immediately cussing and insulting the other person, it definitely shows they have little to say. But if a cool car or something goes by and I say, "Whoa, that was *bleeping* awesome", it doesn't necessarily mean I don't have any thing more intelligent to say at all, just not at that moment! :rolleyes:

Also, trying to stick to the topic, I am guilty of changing my personality in public. I make it a rule to keep my voice a little lower and not swear when I'm talking to those with me. I may have a dirty mouth sometimes, but I'm fairly considerate. :rolleyes: Yay for me! This is turning into the "Fulit talk about himself thread", sorry I'll quit now I promise.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
But if a cool car or something goes by and I say, "Whoa, that was *bleeping* awesome", it doesn't necessarily mean I don't have any thing more intelligent to say at all, just not at that moment! :rolleyes:

That's my point! Do you realize that you're saying "Whoa, that was having sex awesome!" ? Yes, I know that's not what you meant and it sounds silly to put it that way, but that's the way I hear it. On the radio last night, I heard a caller for a contest who couldn't remember the answers and kept saying a word that was bleeped. He sounded like a moron! When you use such language regularly, in my opinion, it shows a lack of self control and manners. Expand your vocabulary! If someone can't have a conversation without dropping in profanity, I have a hard time taking that person seriously. Sorry, I get quite disppointed with the direction humanity is going, and I have higher expectations that constantly get dashed upon the rocks... :(

Fulit
04-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

That's my point! Do you realize that you're saying "Whoa, that was having sex awesome!" ? Yes, I know that's not what you meant and it sounds silly to put it that way, but that's the way I hear it. On the radio last night, I heard a caller for a contest who couldn't remember the answers and kept saying a word that was bleeped. He sounded like a moron! When you use such language regularly, in my opinion, it shows a lack of self control and manners. Expand your vocabulary! If someone can't have a conversation without dropping in profanity, I have a hard time taking that person seriously. Sorry, I get quite disppointed with the direction humanity is going, and I have higher expectations that constantly get dashed upon the rocks... :(

I feel what you're saying. It's cool to get other peoples perspectives on things. I'm more or less representing the idea that not all people who possess a foul mouth lack self control and manners, just apparently the majority of them! :rolleyes: It gets all philosophical or whatever when you get into the subject of swearing, because one could argue, why is one term for something acceptable, and the other not? Who decided these were swear words, not to be used? I guess it doesn't matter now, since its firmly rooted in our society, but it's interesting to me to question it, because I've always been interested in the notion of how things become acceptable or unacceptable. Ah, anyway, I'm prattling on again, but I feel its been a good discussion between the "curses and curse-nots". Sorry for rather "hijacking" the thread in this way, though.

Tycho
04-05-2002, 12:45 PM
No one should ever have to appologize for their enjoying a discussion in a thread here. Participate all you want!

That's what the forums are here for.

Especially when the topic is interesting, it will go on.

So everyone's welcome to stay aboard for the ride!

Kudos for a good discussion. Keep it going guys - if there is anything else left to be said.

I think swearing took us away from the point the original author was trying to make about also using fake accents at given times.

Anyone ever change their voice to sound like Grand Moff Tarkin or Garth Brooks? How about Obi-Wan Kenobi? The Crocodile Hunter?

Well, do you do this not to be funny, but because you think you sound cool carrying on that way in front of a certain audience? Like you are a Boy from 'da Hood, or some kind of war veteran turned experienced adventurer? Anyone trying to sound more intelligent by how they accent their words, rather than what words they are using?

I think this happens a little less than the guys swearing thing, but it happens. Oh, and chicks doing the swearing thing just REALLY turns me off! How about you guys?

Fulit
04-05-2002, 12:55 PM
I find myself slipping into a British accent sometimes when I'm trying to make an intelligent point, which is quite funny, because I do it well for someone who's barely left Arkansas. Most people who talk to me don't even think I'm from here. But I've also spent time in the country, with country people, and invariaby I come out talking like an Arkansan. I hate the way people around here talk, though, its kind of a variation of the Southern accent, more annoying with the words drawn out more, esp. with the women. It's a different sounding Southern accent, than say, someone from Atlanta. More goofy sounding. Ar-kiyn-saaaawwww! Ugh.

And nothing sounds stupider than the combination of the "ghetto" accent w/ "Arkansas country" accent. I wish I could get a .wav of it and send it to you all, it sounds so bad. "Shhooot, duuude, thayut car wuz phayut"!

I just thought of something, if you want to hear "ghetto mixed w/ AR country" accent, watch "Gang Wars: Bangin' in Little Rock" from HBO. The white dudes on there talk like that, they are so hilarious, I knew some of them, they are such posers.

Grif
04-05-2002, 01:49 PM
I have heard that a few times also. Some people around me that talk normal suddenly turn into a redneck when they say, "How ya doin'?".

Dryanta
04-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Well I have to agree even though i have a somewhat foul mouth at times.
It's in those moments when my feeble brain runs out of intelligent things to say in an emotional response.Get what I'm saying.not in everyday conversation just when I'm upset or wound up.
Tycho I agree i can not stand to hear a woman "cuss".I can't stand to see a woman with a cigarette just hanging out of the corner of their mouth or drinking a beer out of the bottle.Don't ask me why,these things drive me nuts.I don't mind a woman who smokes or has a beer just not like that.
And as I mentioned before most here in Maine have a strong accent already then they turn on something else and it is the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard LOL

JEDIpartner
04-05-2002, 03:16 PM
"Y'all..."

AUGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Okay... I have no problems with where this thread is going... I think it's rather funny how all of this has splintered off. I'm watching my "child" grow.

I don't think that changing your accent for a humourous effect really counts as you are consciously doing that. I heard a guy at the gym start in with a southern "trucker" accent this morning when one of his friends showed up. Within moments he was talking like "himself" again when the conversation turned from the initial "hellos". What was funnier still... is that he "went south" just seconds after he had a five minute conversation, in his "real" voice, with an older gentlemen.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2002, 05:06 PM
Maybe the issue is a continuous accent use. Yeah, I insert British, Scottish, German, Canadian, Middle Eastern, Spanish, Norwegian, etc. accents at times when telling a story or something, but do they become my "real" voice? Nah. Well, I have tried to add the "oot" to words like boat, coach, or out, a la the Canadian accent sometimes. So I too am at fault, it appears.

One thing I have stopped is telling racial or ethnic jokes. I never really found them funny, so I just quit. When others tell them around me, I just give no response, which in a way is a response, I guess.

Splintered topic, eh? :rolleyes: "I'll take lame jokes for $200, Alex." A man with sun-darkened sun. "What is a tan-gent?" Correct. :frus: Groan...