PDA

View Full Version : Anakin, Obi-Wan and the new figures

nwookie
04-02-2002, 03:19 PM
Just got my hands on Anakin (disguise) and Obi-Wan figures. They're OK. Overall I was much more excited about the "force power" magnets in the jedi's hands. They work fairly poorly, and opening the storage bin that comes with Anakin pretty much require touching the hand to the bin. Disappointing. Great idea...they just don't work strongly enough. I dig the old-school lightsaber style on Anakin. I would want all the figures to have it, but one is pretty cool. Obi-Wan has a hard time "holding" that assassin droid above his head. You need to help it out by balkancing part on his head.

Battle Droid
04-02-2002, 03:36 PM
I hate the molded on Giant Lightsaber on Anakin, I'll only buy it for completion.

nwookie
04-02-2002, 03:40 PM
oops. I meant I "WOULD NOT" want all the sabers to be the old style... one is cool, though.

dr_evazan22
04-02-2002, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty disappointed w/ a lot of the collection 1 figures. The sculpting on the extremities (hands, arms) is horrendous! Hasbro only added the gimmicks for children who won't notice. Of course I could not buy them, but being a completist, I'm forced to.

The paint deco on the col. 1 is terrible also. I'm going to have to hide these figures away in a box.
Another pain w/ these is the way the fig's are packed on the blister: you have to pry/pop them out, cut the little rubber band holding them in, and sometimes pull the mushy plastic limbs or accessories thru a hole and worry about deforming it!

On another note, I really liked Kit Fisto's metal saber, it looked pretty cool.

I was much more impressed w/ col. 2. Hasbro did a decent job of adding in a little of articulation on the arms, and it's pretty well hidden. The sculpt and paint on col. 2 is better, IMO, also. I like the way you can take the blade out of the sabers (although, in the action poses the fig's are in I don't see the Jedi w/ their saber's off).

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 04:07 PM
I agree with Evazan on this one. Collection 1 just doesn't hold up to the late POTJ and other AOTC. The gimmicks are a noble attempt, but for the most part don't work.

I don't like the telescoping Anakin, but its got some nostalgia to it. I don't like the magnets for the most part either. I like the super battle droid though. I'm looking forward to the figures down the line more than that first collection. I might pick up a few, but not all of them.

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 02:54 AM
Completists, take my advice, break yourselves of the habit now and teach Hasbro not to make toys you don't like. They finally got me completely broken of the completist habit with these, I have only 4 figures on my April 23rd list.

dr_evazan22
04-03-2002, 08:52 AM
I definitely have to agree w/ JediTricks! Every time I look at my col. 1 fig's I see something else to complain about. Here's a run down of my complaints:

Anakin - Outland peasant: See my earlier post concerning sculpt and paint deco; I'm not crazy about the perepetually straight arm; I don't understand the need for the footlocker.

Superbattle Droid: Overall I like this fig, the sculpt and paint look good on my copy. There is an interchangeable right arm (regular arm or cannon). The figure has blast apart action.

Obi - Coruscant Chase: The magnet on the right hand is huge (although it does hold the fig to the droid when picked up off a surface); the droid "sits" on obi's head; sculpt and paint; Obi's metal saber is poorly painted.

Padme- Arena Escape: The arms seem absurdly thin, especially compared to the huge honking gun! Right arm stays straight, and the action feature isn't all that good. Sculpt, paint, and also the comment I made before about how the fig is packed. The chain that this fig comes w/ would be good for slave leia.

3PO: This might be my personal least fav from this collection. It looks worse in person than it did in photo's seen here. The proportions of his outer shell are too big. While I love the way the actual costume was paint deco'd, this isn't great. This fig was made for a 5 yr old who doesn't know better.

Jango- Kamino Escape: I liked this quite a bit- removable helmet (Jango appears to have a beard), rocket firing jetpack, 2 guns that fit in holster (although I had to wrestle a gun into L hand), the "cable" for ensnaring people. I like the way Jango's holster's and gun belts give him a western look. I'd recommend this one.

Kit Fisto: This is a decent fig. Nice metal saber, paint and sculpt are better than most of the others. Action feature doesn't work all that well.

R2 - Coruscant Sentry: This sculpt is really good; it has electronic sounds (similar in appearance and sound to the Hallmark ornament); the red light is bright. Pick this one up.

That's my review. Thanks for reading!

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Is that the radar eye NEVER lights up in the film. The should have made the "processor" light underneath it light up.

I'm certainly not a completist... and I never will be. There has to be a limit to what one will "accept" from Hasblah.

pthfnder89
04-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Is that the radar eye NEVER lights up in the film. The should have made the "processor" light underneath it light up.

I'm certainly not a completist... and I never will be. There has to be a limit to what one will "accept" from Hasblah.

I can't afford to be either. I used to pick up everything, but lately, I'm much happier picking and choosing what I buy.

I also hate when someone says that Hasbro is screwing them because the Big H "forces" them to buy everything, even if the quality is poor. You never have to buy anything you don't want to, completist or not. You may not be happy about what you buy, but you never HAVE to buy it.

dr_evazan22
04-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

You may not be happy about what you buy, but you never HAVE to buy it.

Excellent point pthfnder89, and it applies just as well to the hated scalpers!

mark2d2
04-03-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey, I'm definitely with you, Jeditricks!
I'm being choosy this time around.
So I'm only planning on getting . . .

R2D2
C3PO
Anakin Farmer Disguise
Female Tuskin Raider
Jango (which ever one is the "coolest.")

PS --- "Personal" to JEDIpartnr --- Hey, lighten up! Don't you know that those big radar eyes on Astro Droids light up all the time in Expanded Universe . . . . :crazed:

2-1B
04-03-2002, 06:29 PM
JT, what 4 are you planning on?

I'm looking to buy around 6, maybe 7. I was a completist, but broke away several years ago. Since then I have passed up many cool items, so skipping a large chunk of Hasbro goods in 3 weeks will be easy for me ;)

About those magnets, why would a toy company release goods like that when they don't work to begin with? I think it's pretty unethical.

Darth Ovori
04-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Well I'm also gonna be super picky this time...

Just the Kamino Jango, R2-D2 and the Royal Guard seems all I'm gonna pick up...

Pitty cause at one stage I was keen to do a whole Jedi collection, but those pose's have put me off the idea...

I wonder if AOTC will outsell TPM... ???

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 12:56 AM
My guaranteed list:

Super Battle droid
C-3PO
Jango (Kamino)
R2-D2

Ironically, I'll be buying all the vehicles for sure, that's a first.

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
PS --- "Personal" to JEDIpartnr --- Hey, lighten up! Don't you know that those big radar eyes on Astro Droids light up all the time in Expanded Universe . . . . :crazed:

...well so does the end of my ---- :evil: :eek:

nose! ;)