PDA

View Full Version : Padme doesn't put C-3PO's coverings on him, look here.

Battle Droid
04-02-2002, 04:24 PM
This comes from www.episode-x.com

At early stages of production (and probably straight up to principal photography) the idea was that the first scene in Episode-2 with C-3PO would have the droid still in the same state as he was left in The Phantom Menace, with his inner cables and wires protruding and all.
The plan was to have Padme complete the droid in attaching some spare parts to him as to give him an outer covering, in order to find some distraction from worrying about Anakin, who at this point is out in the desert looking for you know who.

This concept has now, in fact, been entirely scrapped.

Upon Anakin and Padme’s arrival at the homestead, Anakin finds the droid working outside the farm, in full coverings already!

As they approach, Threepeo, not recognizing the two at first, asks how he may be of service and introduces himself “I am See-“ and is abruptly cut in mid-sentence as Anakin recognizes him “Threepeo?”

Goldenrod suddenly springs to life, overjoyed to find his creator standing before him. “Oh, my. Oh, my maker. Master Anakin! I knew you would return.”

Threepeo leads them inside…

As E-X has learned, it was in fact Shmi who completed the droid (this is not seen onscreen).

So there you have it. There’s no more scene with Padme working on Threepeo in the garage.

Hopefully it'll be on the DVD.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 04:40 PM
All that work filming in that harness and they throw it all out. Oh, well... I like Threepio better in his plating.

Beast
04-02-2002, 04:50 PM
Well, just like the E1 R2-D2 w/ booster rockets...Lucasfilm has now made the E2 C-3PO w/ attachable coverings a figure that doesn't appear in E2. So nice that again, Hasbro gets screwed up cause Lucas chages ideas during production. Happened with the Jabba Beast w/ Hex & Rex also. It's no big loss movie wise, but I really hate when Hasbro teases us with something that's supposed to be in the movie, and then Lucas cuts it, or changes it. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. So they changed the movie, big deal.

It is funny that the toys keep getting messed up because of last minute changes in the film. Case in point, the Orc Overseer action figure for LOTR isn't even in the final cut of the film. And then there's the E1 R2 too.

Jargo
04-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Well what can you say about the AOTC toy threepio - "comes with a nice packing crate....." I always hated the idea that we'd get a cutesy scene where Padme slaps on the coverings. You're telling me that in the desert a droid would go round with the inner workings exposed? it's burn out in seconds. It has been ten years since Anakin left Threepio in the charge of Shmi so I'd guess that she pilfered the parts from Watto to finish the job as something to do on long boring nights with no-one to talk to. She is rather a wizz with mechanics herself as evidenced in TPM. Makes perfect sense that Shmi finished Threepio. :)

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 11:23 AM
I STILL feel bad for little Tony D. He had to lug that huge "puppet" around for weeks... :(

pthfnder89
04-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Well, just like the E1 R2-D2 w/ booster rockets...Lucasfilm has now made the E2 C-3PO w/ attachable coverings a figure that doesn't appear in E2. So nice that again, Hasbro gets screwed up cause Lucas chages ideas during production. Happened with the Jabba Beast w/ Hex & Rex also. It's no big loss movie wise, but I really hate when Hasbro teases us with something that's supposed to be in the movie, and then Lucas cuts it, or changes it. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm not too worried about it. I'd rather have the removable plating Threepio than a plain completed Threepiowith no accessories, even if he's not perfectly proportioned.

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 03:16 PM
So so far two completed scenes with Padme have been scrapped already? No loss. :D

Somehow I don't think it would've been that great of a scene seeing 3PO evolve right in front of our eyes from seeing him in his underoos and then seeing him as we so fondly remember him. :happy:

I wonder if Shmi was very soft-hearted and bought the parts from Watto overtime with the money plus a little extra that she got from Anakin or maybe he warmed up to her a little and gave them to her? He does seem to be a little "nicer" (so to speak) in E2 when he meets up with Ani in the scene from the trailers. 'Course that was one scene, but he could hide his "niceness" with telling her it was insufficient to have an uncovered droid since his wires could be picked by criminals or screwed up by the sand.

evenflow
04-04-2002, 01:34 PM
I never thought we were going to see the coverings actually put on, no change for me then.

bigbarada
04-06-2002, 03:32 PM
I think, if this is true, that the new version is much more touching. Anakin was working on two major projects before he left: Threepio and his podracer. Qui-Gonn sold the pod, thus all Shmi really has to remind her of her son is Threepio. So she uses some of the money she got from the pod sale and buys coverings for Threepio from Watto (you can see Jar Jar knock down some protocol droid parts in Watto's shop when he accidentally activates the Pit Droid). It might not be much but it is all she can do to keep from going to pieces about her son leaving. So she holds out hope and keeps herself occupied and maybe, just maybe, she can surprise Anakin with a completed Threepio when/if he comes back to free her.:cry:

Of course, the report of the scene change could be bogus and we'd still see Padme putting on Threepio's coverings. In which case, nevermind.

Lord Tenebrous
04-06-2002, 04:31 PM
The original version still had its charm, however, so I'm still hoping for it:

INT. TATOOINE, HOMESTEAD - GARAGE (FULL MOON) - NIGHT
PADME stands looking at a speeder parked in the garage. Short silence. Then:

C-3PO
Please don't leave us, Miss Padme.
These people need your help.

THREEPIO is parked in a corner.

PADME
I'm not leaving, Threepio. I just
can't sleep.

C-3PO
That's something I cannot relate
to. As a Protocol Droid, I'm
either active or inactive.
There's no in-between.

PADME
I guess you're lucky.

C-3PO
Do you really think so..? I
suppose I shouldn't expect...

PADME
You're not happy here?

C-3PO
Oh, I'm not unhappy... and my
masters here are so kind I
wouldn't wish to trouuble them,
it's just... being like this...
well, it's embarrassing.

PADME
Being like what?

C-3PO
Naked. If you pardon the
expression. You see, when Master
Anakin made me, he never quite
found the time to give me any
outer covering. It's so
humiliating. How would you like it
if you had to go around with all
your circuits showing?

PADME
I guess I wouldn't like it at all.

C-3PO
Of course you wouldn't. Nobody
would. It's simply not protocol.

PADME looks thoughtfully at a pile of spare parts and bits of metal and tools.

PADME
Maybe we can do something about it.

C-3PO
I don't think so. Only Master
Annie...

PADME
Why not? They seem to have a box
of old coverings here.

C-3PO
Oh? How observant of you, Miss
Padme. Of course, I'm just not
mechanically minded... if you see
what I mean.

PADME picks up a piece of metal and holds it against him.

PADME
Let's see, if we put this...
here...

C-3PO
Ooooh! That's tickles.

PADME
You'll have to be quiet, Threepio.
Hold still, please.

(more movie passes by)

INT. TATOOINE, HOMESTEAD, GARAGE - DAY
PADME fixes the last piece of covering onto THREEPIO.

PADME
There!

PADME stands back. OWEN is with her. They look at THREEPIO. He isn't the golden figure we know because PADME has had to use whatever stuff she could find in the garage. He is multi-coloured in several textures, but he is complete.

C-3PO
Um. How do I look?

OWEN
Great! You look perfect.

C-3PO
Perfect? Oh, Miss Padme, I'm so
happy!
(extending his hand to shake hers)
Oh, pardon me.

THREEPIO drops his hand and bows formally.

THREEPIO
(continuing)
Thank you.

He forgets formality and hugs her. PADME hugs him back, laughing.

C-3PO
(continuing)
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

OWEN
(grinning)
Well, Padme, I think he should be
yours from now on... I know that
is what my Mom would want.

C-3PO
Oh, my!

Then suddenly, from outside:

BERU (V.O.)
Come topside, everybody! He's
back! He's back!

I wonder how much is still in the movie. We could just end up having Padme cheer up Threepio, but that really wouldn't make sense. He seems like a modest droid, so if not his coverings, what would there be to disturb him?

The Hasbro figure has the box of parts, so I guess AOTC 3PO will join TPM's R2 as a duo of cut-scene figures. :(

Jargo
04-06-2002, 04:58 PM
If that piece of script is for real then thank god they dropped it. talk about about tooth rotting sacharin sweet sentimental crap! BLEEEEURGH! URGH! BLEEEEUUUURRRGGHH!!!!!!! Vomit inducing.

Threepio doesn't even talk like that. Owens lines are just puke making. Padme comes over pretty much the way she did in TPM though so that's at least something but the very premise of the scene is just awful awful awful. It may be a movie made for twelve year olds but that's just insultingly juvenile writing. I bet that was Lucas' idea and jonathan Hales threw it in the trash and wrote something better and they fought over it. If they put that in the movie I'm closing my eyes and covering my ears in the Tatooine section. betwwen that and the Tusken camp scenes "I love Y....." I think I'll need a barf bag when i go to see the movie.
Please god don't let this be true.... :(

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 05:01 PM
That was pretty bad. I hope this was in fact dropped.

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 06:36 PM
That reminded me waayyy too much of that Return to Oz movie with the scenes between Dorothy and that Tick Tock (I think it's name was) robot character.

I'm very glad that it is out of there, it's not even a scene that would be good for the DVD. I doubt Shmi would've gone that long without giving 3PO coverings, at some point I'm sure she'd have a chance, especially after meeting Cliegg. And with how 3PO interacts... he just doesn't seem to be the same as he was in the OT and even in E1 he was his regular self but it feels like this scene was just done to give him his coverings and they ran out of ideas on how to build up to it.