PDA

View Full Version : R2-D2 and battery acid don't mix!

therock0603
04-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Has anyone else thought of this? The R2-D2 figure comes with batteries (apparently already in it since it says "Try Me!" on the front of the bubble with a little hole in it to push the button). Well, if you're a collector and you plan to keep your figures in the package, something could go wrong. If batteries just sit around for a long time, they'll eventually leak battery acid. This could ruin the R2-D2 figure and maybe show up on the card. This would not be good!!!

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 08:48 PM
All the better reason to set him free of his plastic prison!

When the original FX figures came out in 96' or 97' Sansweet did an article about keeping them carded in the Insider. They won't last forever in perfect condition, but then again, neither will regular plastic figures as some original carded figures, even ones kept in temperature controled environments have begun to deteriorate.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 08:56 PM
I've been saying this for months!! I'm glad someone else finally had the brains enough to consider this as well. I kept asking... well what about then the battery starts to corrode...? well what about then the battery starts to corrode...?!! well what about then the battery starts to corrode...?!!!!!!

No responses... well maybe just JARGO. This is the beauty of opening up the figures and playing with them as they are meant to be!

Battle Droid
04-02-2002, 09:09 PM
They're meant to be opened, so Hasbro doesn't think about it.

SithDroid
04-02-2002, 09:35 PM
The AT-AT and the FX X-Wing both had batteries with them as well. I opened them both, so I guess it doesn't matter. Remember the time when packages used to say "batteries not included," that was for this exact reason.

Lord Tenebrous
04-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Batteries take away play value. Why can't they just worry about the sculpt, and let me handle the "VRRRRROOOSH" and "VRRRRRRRRRMMMMM" and "KA-ZIMMMM" and "DO-DA-WHOOOO-WI-WOOOOK"? :p

SithDroid
04-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Exactly. I loved making my own Sound FX as a kid. However kids today need MORE to their toys or they become uninterested in them. Ah, where has the imagination gone when playing with toys.

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:09 PM
Kids DON'T have imaginations... they've become conditioned to everything being automated or electronic. They have no concept of "play". "Play" means sitting in front of a screen and watching images go by.

SithDroid
04-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Couldn't agree more. Technology is the future, unfortunately some things shouldn't be touched.

browndroid
04-02-2002, 10:21 PM
i agree figures are meant to be opened, so what if they're not woth as much any more, collecting isnt about the money, its about...its about....its...about... AW i dont know, but i have never been in this for money:D

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 03:02 AM
According to Hasbro, the modern batteries that they use in their toys are not prone to corrosion or leakage like the batteries of days gone by. Surprisingly, I sorta believe them on this one 'cause other toy makers have claimed the same thing and I haven't had a leaky or corroded battery in a toy in quite a while.

Jargo
04-03-2002, 06:27 AM
All the same, the Reek uses a battery to make it go GGRRRRRR when you hit it's belly button or whatever. But there doesn't appear to be a place to remove the battery if you don't want it to go GRRRRRR. It's this dictating of play values that i despise. The assumption that people will automatically accept everything Hasbro or other toy makers shove out. The point of having the batteries seperate was that you could choose to put them in or not. parents with annoying children often remove batteries from toys before giving them to the children so that they don't have to endure endless hours of repeated laser bursts or GRRRRRRR. I have no problem with toys including battery operated features but I think more thought should go into the removability of the batteries. batteries aren't cheap to keep replacing every five minutes. They also make the toys heavier for small hands to hold.

Top and bottom of it - leave the batteries out. Nice idea but the sounds are always poorly generated and it cuts out the need to stimulate a persons imagination. I mostly remove the batteries from everything I buy these days. It'll annoy the crap out of me if i can't get them out of the Reek.

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 01:10 PM
I would've rather just seen a resculpt of the R2 w/ Holo Leia but only cleaner (R2 w/ Holo Leia had Tatooine sand all over the bottom) and that way we'd be getting a good R2 and those that missed out on the R2 w/ Holo Leia would finally get it rereleased without it really being rereleased. Ya know, the ol' kill 2 mynocks with a 1 shot blaster. :D

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 12:14 AM
Jargo, are you SURE the Reek doesn't have a battery hatch? Up until now, Hasbro has not released one Star Wars toy that had a permanent, non-removable battery and I sincerely doubt they'd start now.

Jargo
04-04-2002, 06:28 AM
Editing this post because I have now seen the battery hatch and it is indeed the belly horn area that has it. I rechecked the bottom of my picture box and found a Reek pic stuck to the back of a fishermans weekly magazine... The Reek has a small hatch kinda rectangular looking just near his bum and between his rear legs. The front right leg is articulated at the shoulder whereas the front left leg is articulated at the shoulder and knee. So rather than it being a bucking action it would seem to be a stomping action. That's if the Reek has an electronic leg action. The batteries may be just for the noise it makes when you hit it's nose horn. The leg thing may be activated in a similar way to the Ronto - pull back the leg to make the beast rear up. Does anyone have access to the box so they can illuminate us with the knowledge? What is the deal with the Reek and the batteries and the legs? Please, in all seriousness can someone help out if they have access to the boxed toy right now. :) thank you in advance.

pthfnder89
04-04-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I would've rather just seen a resculpt of the R2 w/ Holo Leia but only cleaner (R2 w/ Holo Leia had Tatooine sand all over the bottom) and that way we'd be getting a good R2 and those that missed out on the R2 w/ Holo Leia would finally get it rereleased without it really being rereleased. Ya know, the ol' kill 2 mynocks with a 1 shot blaster. :D

I don't really like electronics either in most toys. I can definitely do without them in vehicles if it makes them cheaper. But i don't see why it's so bad in this Artoo. It doesn't affect the overall figure much, and it's pretty damn cheap for having electronics, and they even gave us some cool accessories on top of it all. What's not to like?

What i REALLY don't like though, is any feature that uses springs. They're ridiculous, they usually make the toy or gun WAY too big, and they aren't very interesting. I HATE HATE HATE them. :mad:

Just give me good ole' GI Joe missles that I "launch" with my hand and I'm a happy camper! :D

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 02:03 PM
prevent Artoo's third leg from retracting. I'd say that it affected the whole figure! What good is an Artoo that doesn't have a retractible third leg??? About as good as an Artoo-Beeone with NO third leg. :mad:

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 03:24 PM
The reek does NOT have a battery cover because it has NO BATTERIES in it. It's electronics are powered by midichlorians that have been injected inti it via syringe. (the syringe is NOT included for obvious reasons) In order to operate the reek, you simply speak to the midichlorians and they activate the action. IT"S JUST THAT SIMPLE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

pthfnder89
04-04-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
prevent Artoo's third leg from retracting. I'd say that it affected the whole figure! What good is an Artoo that doesn't have a retractible third leg??? About as good as an Artoo-Beeone with NO third leg. :mad:

Oh well, I'm still not sweating it too much. He looks pretty good to me, so I'll pick him up anyway.

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 03:53 PM
I was going to pass on this Artoo because of its lack of 3 rd leg mobility. I have a few extra E1 Artoos coming so I'll just use those in my scenes. Isn't this one pretty much a resculpt of the power fx Artoo that came out a couple of years ago?

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Wolfwood, just from the pictures here on SSG, I can assure you that AOTC R2 is not the same figure as Power FX R2, nothing about them appears to be the same. AOTC R2 appears to be an all-new sculpt, except possibly the outer legs.