PDA

View Full Version : Princess Leia Crash Lands onto SNL!

mark2d2
04-02-2002, 09:51 PM
I was just watching E news daily and at the very end of which they said, "Stay tuned for Saturday Night Live with Carrie Fisher!"

Imagine my surprise when the show opened with the Blues Brothers and then Princess Leia (complete with Buns and ANH Robe) gave a monologue in which she told an elaborate joke told to her by her old friend, Obiwan Kenobi. The joke was LONG and cumbersome. Filled with starwars references (sand people, wookie cola, holograms) it was all about A bantha staying at Jabba the Hutt's house and being corrupted by Jabba's daughter who lured him into her Millenium Falcon... Here Carrie Fisher got cold feet and muttered that maybe the joke was, well, "Too inside. For this galaxy..." Suddenly a blue light flashed and the voice of Obiwan (Not Alec Guiness, But Dan Ackroid) told her to "Trust your feelings. It's a good joke." Leia gamely continued only to be interrupted repeatedly by a guffawing Jedi." It was pretty funny.

In the first skit, Leia (still in costume) beems herself into a 60s Beach Party movie. "I'm an exchange student from outerspace and another film." At first everyone is thrilled to meet this newcomer. And amused by her name. "Princess 'Lay - uh." quips someone beating Beavis and Butthead to the punch by a decade or two. Tensions flare, however, when Leia rips open her costume to reveal (surprise, surprise) a Gold Bikini. Though much different than its years off ROTJ model, it's interesting to wonder if this gave George the idea for slave girl Leia. Gilda Radner's Annette Funicello is not amused by the interest her Frankie Avalon (Bill Murray) shows in this very Spaced out Babe. "You have so much in common. Space. She's from it and you've got it between your ears!"

Fortunately, a musical number saves the day and the Princess sings (much better than on the Holiday special, though she was obviously lipsynching for 60s musical effect, I "think" it was her voice...) a number about how she's not really a "Space Slut." Soon she and Annette are friends again. And the cast joins in for a rousing chorus of Obiwan Kenobi ala We Go Together from Grease."

Carrie also lampooned Linda Blair as being a coke-fiend. Played a member of the Loud Family -- a sketch where basically everybody shouts.

I remember seeing this as a kid, especially the Space Blanket Bimbo Sketch. And it was pretty much a hoot. I wish I had taped this one . . .

JEDIpartner
04-02-2002, 10:03 PM
"Hi! I'm Annette... and these are my breasts..." :rolleyes:

I haven't seen that one in years... awesome.

Oh, and Annette may have had the breasts, but Leia had great "buns"!

browndroid
04-02-2002, 10:25 PM
HA! i hadnt ever seen or heard of that! FUNNY

JediTricks
04-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Another twenty-something-year-old TV appearance by Carrie Fisher where she's half-naked and singing is a late episode of Laverne & Shirley (post-Shirley) where Carrie is an auditioning Playboy bunny. I found her funnier there than on SNL.

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Yea that was a pretty good and suprising episode of Laverne and Shirley. :D

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 11:04 PM
Too bad they both didn't get the job and renamed the show "Laverne and Carrie"... wait a minute, then we'd have to see Penny Marshall in a bunny costume every week, would it be worth the trade-off? (a mid-20s Carrie Fisher in a bunny costume every week, but she's standing next to a mid-30s Penny Marshall in one... oh the horror!!!)

;)

I only recently saw that episode for the first time, I flipped by during a marathon on TV Land.

2-1B
04-04-2002, 12:11 AM
I'm upset with myself because I knew this SNL was going to be on yet I forgot to record it :mad: It's my understanding that E! will be showing SNL for awhile, I might catch it next time. Maybe they are just showing the oldest episodes (I think Comedy Central only has them from the mid '80s onward) ?

Thanks for the description, mark2D2 :)