PDA

View Full Version : Palpitine and Sidious- same, clone, or other?

scruffziller
04-02-2002, 10:56 PM
There have been many a debates on this subject with my SW circle. We know that physically of what we see of Sidious and Palpitine are the exact same. But is Palpitine as we know him a clone of Sidious or are they actually just the same person OR is Sidious performing the Dark side force power known as "doppleganger" in which he is able to create a physical projection of himself to be in 2 places at once??:crazed:

Fulit
04-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Same, same same. I swear here and now if Palpatine is shown to be a clone of Sidious, or vice versa, I will give away my entire collection to some dirty, poor kids who will break them all.

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 10:49 AM
I think they are one and the same.

187-Maul
04-03-2002, 01:16 PM
think they're the same, too

Pendo
04-03-2002, 01:33 PM
They are the same! There's no way George would make them different people, is there? Then again, he did create Jar Jar Binks.

PENDO!

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Other!

No wait.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Same.

Same.

Same.

Same.

Same.

Same.

I think Sidious and Palpatine are the same guy. No clones. No assistants. No Blofeld-esque reconstructive surgery on minions to confuse double o kenobi...

SAME.

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 03:10 PM
I think they're clones, or maybe twins. :D I doubt they're the same because there is quite a bit of evidence against it but the most famous evidence that supposedly ponts to them being the same is that the same actor played them, which is some pretty bad evidence cause alot of people play the same characters, heck they only had one guy play the Coruscant Guard and then they used CGI to "clone him" in the computer when the guards aren't really supposed to be clones, they most likely just didn't feel the need to get a bunch of actors for the guards since they're mostly hidden behind the helmets.

Lone Jedi
04-15-2002, 09:47 PM
They're the same. Sidious is seen walking with Maul on Palpatine's balcony at night (the same railing is seen behind Amidala during the "We muzz do something quickly..." scene). The end of the novelization gives some insight too when it says something like: even though he [Sidious] lost his apprentice, he got what he really wanted [i.e., Palpatine got elected Chancellor].

Beast
04-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Lone Jedi
They're the same. Sidious is seen walking with Maul on Palpatine's balcony at night (the same railing is seen behind Amidala during the "We muzz do something quickly..." scene). The end of the novelization gives some insight too when it says something like: even though he [Sidious] lost his apprentice, he got what he really wanted [i.e., Palpatine got elected Chancellor].
A railing proves nothing Sidious could just take his meetings there, or it could have been a totally different apartment in the same building. And the ending of the E1 book doesn't prove they are one in the same either. Using the clone to keep an eye on the Senate, while he runs things as Sidious would be alot easier then trying to arrange all these things to fall into place, as well as training Maul.

As for the end of the E1 book is supposed to take place at the same time as what is occuring on Naboo, and Palpatine is present still on Naboo at the time. Plus Lucas himself has stated that anything that doesn't appear on film is EU. That includes the novels based on the movie. Proof of that is Obi-Wan's talk to Luke on Dagobah in the ROTJ novel. He says that Owen is his brother, and that is no longer true.

In the end it all comes down to what Lucas chooses. If he goes with Sidious leading a double life, then fine. If he goes with Sidious cloning himself, and placing that copy in the senate, thats fine to. I am glad that not everything is cut and dried and tied up with a little ribbon, just because we have seen Episode IV, V, and VI.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

chewie
04-15-2002, 10:51 PM
They are the same person. Why further complicate the story with an unecessary addition of a clone stand-in for Palpatine?

Battle Droid
04-16-2002, 03:24 AM
They're the same most definately.

187-Maul
04-16-2002, 06:32 PM
at the end of Episode 1 yoda and mace talk about master and apprentice (but was it the master, or the apprentice...) and the picture goes to the right over all the characters and stops at the face of palpatine - you can explain that in many diferent ways but to me it looks like an obvious hint of them being the same

Lone Jedi
04-16-2002, 08:48 PM
JJB, you raise good and interesting points. If the cloning deal is true, it would tie in well with the theme of AOTC, but I think it is definitely more meaningful having Sidious and Palpatine be the same person.

master jedi
04-17-2002, 03:04 PM
THEY'RE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!

Dryanta
04-17-2002, 08:38 PM
even tough it MIGHT be interesting if there was two,I think they are the same.
I guess I don't understand the idea that a clone would just be used as someone to handle the "original's" busy work.Wouldn't a exact copy andriod or something work better because it wouldn't have any independant ideas about it's own life.
I don't know.
They're the same

BanthaPoodoo
04-17-2002, 10:47 PM
Reasons as to why I think they are the same:

1. When the queen says she must return to Naboo, Senator Palpatine says half-heartedly "no please, you must stay, blah blah blah" He doesnt want her to stay because hes hoping she signs the paper.

2. What 187-Maul said
at the end of Episode 1 yoda and mace talk about master and apprentice (but was it the master, or the apprentice...) and the picture goes to the right over all the characters and stops at the face of palpatine

Yoda says always two there are a Master & an apprentice. And I think I Mace says (bad memory), but which one did we get, and they pan over to Palpy.

3. Probably the most obvious. They look the same.

Arrogant Arse
04-29-2002, 03:50 PM
I think they are the same. Here's my (LAME) reasoning. In the beginning of TPM. When the queen contacts Senator Palpatine about no ambasadors, he says someting to the effect of "I have assurances from teh Chancellor himself that they have arrived." Now I might be nit-picking, but I don't think Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon ever sent a message back to Valorum saying "Were here, We'll be back by 10:00," or anything like that. The only one who ever seemed to communicate was Nute and Sidious. So how would Palpatine know they had arrived, if he was not Sidious? (or at least on his COL (Coruscant-On-Line) buddy list.)

My theory could be useless if the ship's pilots transmitted anything, but I don't think they did that.