PDA

View Full Version : Use of Image...

SirSteve
04-03-2002, 12:10 PM
Regarding this post:
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=28&show_article=93

All of these pictures came from the Hasbro server. Most of them have since been removed. A Hasbro spokesman has stated that the company has not released these pictures, nor has any site been given exclusive access to any of them. If these are Hasbro pictures, as Hasbro says they are, and if no site has been given exclusive access, as Hasbro also says, how could any fan site claim any of them for its own, exclusive use? To see one of the pictures in questions, check out the attachment. Again, I normally wouldn't care how images are out there as long as the fans get to see them but when we all have to follow the same Hasbro guidelines, it's another story.

From the Hasbro site:

"Any textual or graphic material you copy, print, or download is licensed to you by Hasbro, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries ("Hasbro") for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided that you do not change or delete any copyright, trademark or other proprietary notices. "

Change meaning stamp a logo on it.

Dryanta
04-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Good points.If "no one" has them then "no one" can claim exclusive rights.Strange.They look like the exact same picture to me.But maybe I'm :crazed:

mabudonicus
04-03-2002, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure I follow the situation, but as the highlighted "lens flares" and reflections show, these images are indeed made from the same original image.
I just don't follow the significance.

SirSteve
04-03-2002, 02:19 PM
The significance is we were sent the images as well (and posted them) but another site is claiming they own them and want us to remove them. How can you own a Hasbro picture?

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 02:26 PM
And why is Hasbro trying to close the barn door after all the horses are out?

They look like the same image to me. SO what is their beef exactly? You can't post official images from their website on your news site? I don't think they have a case. That's public information , isn't it? (Sigh) Hasbro continually finds new and innovative ways to "eat"...

Beast
04-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
The significance is we were sent the images as well (and posted them) but another site is claiming they own them and want us to remove them. How can you own a Hasbro picture?
Thats the exact reason that I mostly stick with this fan collecting site, and also why I have 1300+ posts here, but only 30 or so in the forum of the place that is claiming ownership of the images. It's sad how some websites think they are all that and a bag of chips. You think that since they all serve the collecting community, that they would be a little more friendly to fellow sites. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
04-03-2002, 03:07 PM
I added a few sentences to my original post. Please read it.

pthfnder89
04-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Thats the exact reason that I mostly stick with this fan collecting site, and also why I have 1300+ posts here, but only 30 or so in the forum of the place that is claiming ownership of the images. It's sad how some websites think they are all that and a bag of chips. You think that since they all serve the collecting community, that they would be a little more friendly to fellow sites. :(

One would hope so JJB, but of course we know that some people unfortunately don't work that way. It's really sad, because I do really like that site in general. I hate to see them get so petty over something that doesn't belong to them.:(

2-1B
04-03-2002, 03:49 PM
That's pretty shady, taking an image from the Hasbro site and stamping one's logo on it. Pretty arrogant to take ownership of someone else's property.

Thanks for the work you do SirSteve ! :)

SirSteve
04-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
That's pretty shady, taking an image from the Hasbro site and stamping one's logo on it. Pretty arrogant to take ownership of someone else's property.

Thanks for the work you do SirSteve ! :)

They are stating that they did not get the images from the Hasbro site but it IS a Hasbro image (the picture comparison proves that) so regardless where it came from, it is a Hasbro picture and no one but Hasbro can make claim to it. By stamping it, you are claiming it. Period.

2-1B
04-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Has Hasbro ever considered stamping their own images?

Beast
04-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
They are stating that they did not get the images from the Hasbro site but it IS a Hasbro image (the picture comparison proves that) so regardless where it came from, it is a Hasbro picture and no one but Hasbro can make claim to it. By stamping it, you are claiming it. Period.
You definatly can say that atleast the last four letters of their name makes sense then, in this case. :mad: And I agree with Ceaser, keep up the good work Sir Steve. Your loyal forumites won't abandon you. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BlahBlahBlah
04-03-2002, 05:55 PM
I personally do not see why some people are reacting so harshly to this. I certainly don't see the reason to refer to them as... well, what JarJar referred to them as.

SirSteve
04-03-2002, 06:25 PM
No need to call anyone names. That's not what this is about...

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 10:24 PM
Oops. I thought Hasbro was making you take the pics down. If they are having a problem with it, apologize and post the images from Hasbro instead.;)

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 10:35 PM
I don't see the big deal.

Another site which has been known in the past for shady dealings has done another no-no. This site mistakenly put them up, but then took them down once finding out the truth. This site has always been respectable, but we can't say that for every other site out there, unfortunetaly. I don't think anyone was blaming SirSteve, were they?

Sauron
04-05-2002, 09:08 AM
what the?! my post was deleted?? something shady is going on here

mabudonicus
04-06-2002, 10:36 AM
The explanation cleared it all up. Is this "problem" ongoing? It seems so cut-and-dried.
It's kinda like Jeb Bush trying to copyright his name, so as to be the final arbiter(i think that's the right sp) on what gets printed about him. Are we not allowed to post scans from newspapers now, if some other site posts a similar scan first and stamps it with their logo? REEEEE DICULOUS!!!!

SirSteve
04-08-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sauron
what the?! my post was deleted?? something shady is going on here

I never deleted anything... what post?

JediTricks
04-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Nor did I.

Jargo
04-09-2002, 02:58 PM
No but Steve deleted all the original responses when he amended this thread and bumped it back to the top of the forum. Maybe that's what Sauron is talking about. it peeved me somewhat also. Got nothing against stuff being removed if it's inflamatory but these were perfectly ordinary posts that disappeared. it's Steve's fight not ours. His quarrel is with either the Hasbro press office or the webmasters of those other sites. No need for this thread to be here AT ALL.

InsaneJediGirl
04-09-2002, 09:25 PM
They look the same to me..I guess the Hasbro Spokesperson isnt the brightest crayon in the box.:rolleyes: