PDA

View Full Version : AOTC and Restaurant's?

Jedi Drew
04-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Has anyone heard about any restaurant tie in's with the release of AOTC?? Like they did with TPM at Taco Bell ect. with the toys?? Just wondering....HH:confused: :confused:

JediDan
04-03-2002, 01:51 PM
You know what I totally forgot about that. Yeah last time Taco bell, KFC, and Pizza Hut had all those awesome promo items. I had such I hard time finding all those toys and items last time, I did get them all, but hours upon hours every week of going restaraunt to restaraunt. I was so sick of it about half way through I vowed not to do it when Epi.2 comes out. SO IF they are doing it again this time around I am out. WAY to stressful speeding to every little restaraunt throughout the twin cities. I never hated red lights so much before that experience. I'd spend more times waiting for red lights then actual driving.:frus: Nope count me out. More for you guys now right....... :D

JEDIpartner
04-03-2002, 01:53 PM
The reason being is that Pepsi was so disenchanted with the return on their promotion that they chose not to renew their contract for AOTC. Since Pepsi controls the restaurants involved in the last promotion... we'd have to see if Coca-Cola will step up to the plate at the last minute for any tie-ins. Chances are pretty slim for a deal to be inked so close to the release of the film.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2002, 07:37 PM
All I know is, it sure as hell better not be McDonald's doing it.:frus:

GeneralKenobi
04-03-2002, 09:24 PM
I doubt the "Golden Arches" will pick it up since they cater to Disney's every beck and call...maybe Popeye's Chicken! Ugh er um please no.

Jedi Drew
04-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Maybe, Sub Way with Jertt (the guy that lost 150lbs.) as Jertt the Jedi???:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 01:52 AM
I want it to be Coke and Burger King, I want more SW glasses! And it can be a subtle thing, not all overblown like Pepsico/Frito Lays/Tricon restaurants (all the same company).

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 09:19 AM
They ALWAYS did tasteful promotions of the films. No pun...

I really liked the Glasses... I have all of them except the very first one, which, I think, is Luke.

They also had a giant sticker book for ESB. Ahhhh... those were the days!

bigbarada
04-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Last I heard, Mickey D's, BK and Coke wouldn't touch Star Wars with a ten-foot pole after all the money Pepsico lost on it's Ep1 promotion.

I think Pepsico's greed hurt them more than anything. The restaurants in my area put so many limitations on how you could get the toys that it killed all the fun. I remember reading a sign at a Pizza Hut that stated, "Star Wars toys cannot be purchased with a Kid's Meal, buffet, take-out or individually." So, in other words, you can only get them by buying the most expensive items on the menu!:rolleyes:

So, if Coke, Pepsi, McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell, KFC and Pizza Hut are out, who does that leave?

RC Cola and Arby's?

How the mighty have fallen!:p

2-1B
04-04-2002, 04:02 PM
I agree, those BK glasses were/are awesome. 1 set from each movie is way cooler than all the Pepsi TPM stuff combined! But I admit to getting caught up in the TPM mania and buying every single toy/cup topper/chicken bucket frisbee. ;)

:( I only have a complete ROTJ set, 1 ESB glass (Lando), and zero ANH glasses.

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 04:07 PM
I also heard that GL really didn't want to do fast food promotions because he thought that was in part responsible for the over-commercialization of TPM.

I personally didn't like anything that Taco Bell, KFC, or Pizza Hut was offering during the run, I thought the toys were pretty much trash and I didn't have any room for the cups. Something like what BK did with LOTR would be cool though. I loved the old SW glasses as well as the recent LOTR ones, and the circle of toys thing.

Jedi Drew
04-04-2002, 05:06 PM
That would be Cool if they did come back out with those glasses. I have a whole bunch sitting back behind my bar under my 25th framed Cantina poster-looks great!!!!:D :D

InsaneJediGirl
04-04-2002, 09:03 PM
I hope that BK does a small AOTC promotion.I would love to see some type of SW Glasses like the LOTR Goblets.Paying the
$3.99 plus food item would be worth it,since the glasses would
be a (hopefully) nice item.

Also Pepsi needs to keep to themselves.I hated going into a Pepsi owned fast food joint and trying to hagle the Manager into giving me the toy for 99 cents(which they were advertised for).

JediTricks
04-05-2002, 12:42 AM
Wow, I had no idea so many folks agreed on this Burger King thing. Heck, one of my favorite things about being a kid visiting Grandma's was that she had the whole set of ROTJ glasses that I got to (get this) use!!!

Lucas is right about Ep 1 being overmarketed in part because of the Pepsico tie-ins, but all that crap wasn't the ONLY reason (although that fraggin' commercial with the Pizza Hut girl, Taco Bell dog, and fake Col Sanders was really over the top).

But Ep 2 should have at least a small tie-in with Burger King, they've had so many successful tie-ins lately because of the quality of the toys and other promotionals (I was tempted to buy those LOTR goblets and toys, and I didn't even see the dang movie!!!). Lucas never should have strayed from them in the first place.