PDA

View Full Version : What is it with people hiding toys in the store?

JediDan
04-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Yesterday I stopped in Wal-mart looking for AOTC toys but again no findings. I did some other shopping and when I was in the Candy aisle I found the Crashed Snowspeeder hiddden behind a bunch of boxes. That seems a little childish don't you think? It was in mint shape but I didn't buy it, I just buy the 3 3/4 figs, no vehicles even if they have exclusives figs in them. it just gets too expensive. Now how many of you do silly things like that? Meaning hiding toys. :stupid: ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Uhhhh. Cough*cough*i do*cough.

I may do it if I know a sale or clearance is coming up and the stuff will get grabbed up quickly. Usually I carry a credit card to get whatever I want so I don't need to hide it until I come back with the green stuff.

Lately I've been stashing pegwarmers at the local WM just so the stockers will put out some new stuff.

So in conclusion kids, hiding is bad, very very bad. Don't ever let me catch you doing it. :mad: EVER! :mad:

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 04:07 PM
Its a noble thought to hide pegwarmers to get them to put stuff out. But they go buy what stock is left on the computer rather than the shelf. I've hidden things a few times in the past, but not lately. I also carry my debit card, so in case I do find something, I just buy it right there, rather than mess around with hiding it and whatnot.

Beast
04-03-2002, 04:15 PM
I think that in the case of Wal-Mart it's a little silly to try hiding stuff in the store. Wal-Marts have layaways, and it's only a few bucks to stick stuff in layaway. And if your only going to hide it for a few minutes while you run to get your checkbook, credit card, or borrow some money, just take it to the front desk and tell them you need to go get your wallet or somthing. Most stores are kind enough to do it for you. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-03-2002, 04:21 PM
Why would anyone be on the lookout for new product without money? I can see using a card when you don't have enough (I'm guilty of that ;) ) but if you do have enough money in an account somewhere, why not just keep extra $ on your person to save the hassle of an ATM run :confused:

JediDan
04-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Mandalorian Candidat.. what a great idea about stuffing the pegwarmers away so it looks like they're selling, so in return they'll refresh their supply... GENIUS.... I never thought of that. I LOVE it. I'm gonna have to try that out. :D

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 12:53 AM
The thing about lay-a-way..is you gotta be 18 to put something in lay-a-way, I haven't hid anything as of lately since I've been either getting it on-line, not being able to go to the store or can buy it right there on the spot, I used to hide things though, but only when it's gonna be a short period of time for me to go back. I'm 15 and when I would mostly hid stuff was when I was younger because I had no money and do you think they're gonna let a 10 year old stick something in lay-a-way? :rolleyes:

Tycho
04-04-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by JediDan
Mandalorian Candidat.. what a great idea about stuffing the pegwarmers away so it looks like they're selling, so in return they'll refresh their supply... GENIUS.... I never thought of that. I LOVE it. I'm gonna have to try that out. :D

It's always a mystery when the pegs are empty but the store is NOT ordering new figures isn't it?

So Star Wars is a LOSS for them:

1) the computer shows they have 18 Star Wars figures on hand.

2) the racks are nearly empty

3) they must have been stolen!

4) conclusion - Ordering Star Wars is NOT worth the shrinkage loss (that's the term for theft I think)

5) Don't order more Star Wars.

6) all the store has are 18 JarJar Binks or Jek Porkins figures stashed under a shelf in the Barbie isle - but they don't know that and you forgot about it (or can't get to them anymore, etc)

DO NOT HIDE FIGURES - THAT STRATEGY MAJORLY BACKFIRES!

But if you have to in oder to pick them up later, alright. But pick them up.

Get price difference refunds if stuff goes on sale. There's 30 days for that.

If not, buy it when you see it. You have 90 days to return it.

Then buy another one on sale. Return this second one with the first one's receipt to get the difference on your money back from the sale price. This is totally legal. Just don't brag about doing it to any store employees.

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I thought I explained why hiding figures to get them to stock more wouldn't work, but no one must have gotten it.

fourtwo
04-04-2002, 02:23 AM
porkins is a pegwarmer?
i never even saw that dude up here.
this topic was done when i first joined. i'll hide for myself and for a friend. thats it.pickings are slim around here. i always go back and get what i want shortly after i hide. usually within a day. it may be childish, but these are childrens toys remember :p

jedijason1138
04-04-2002, 02:32 AM
but with a reason. I've hidden things only to pick them up later when I could get more money. This usually happens on those rare occassions that I hit the motherload when I wasn't expecting to find anything. I will only let the item(s) sit for at the most a day, but no longer than that. The worst thing is when you find something that someone has hidden and you need it yourself. I've been known to make some purchases like that. It really ticks off the Wal Mart employees who are hoarding stuff for themselves.
:happy:

deanpaul
04-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Usually, I am very opposed to anyone hiding anything, ever. Mostly because I would consider myself outside the circle of knowledge of where to look for said hidden items. I did however turn to the dark side yesterday morning, and for the first time ever stashed some ATOC figures on a shelf adjacent to the figure area. Anyone seriously looking could easily find them.

My reasons for stashing were two fold; I have followed up on several leads left in the Utah forum in short order after they were posted to find empty shelves and I wanted to give my Sir Steve’s Guide buddies a crack at this wave. And I considered that these figures could be pulled back to the storeroom if someone in the know at the store discovered them. It all sounds odd here, but at the time (7am) it seemed reasonable, and I would consider doing it again.

The other thing is I immediately posted what I had done, so someone checking the forum before hitting the store would know exactly where to look.

Despite all my rationale, I am pretty much with you on this one Jedi Dan.

Deanpaul

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 10:11 AM
I've thought about it, but never did it. I never saw the purpose. I have two credit cards and a cheque/debit card. If I want them... I just get them.

Believe me... the idea that hiding figures will get them to order more doesn't work. Everything is kept in electronic inventory. they don't necessarily physically check the shelves to see what's actually out there. I know this from retail experience. Some stores are on automatic replenishment, which means when a certain product reaches a base number, the computer automatically reorders the item. If the computer believes there are still 20 figures on the pegs whether they are there or not... there will be no reorder unless someone "forces" an order.

evenflow
04-04-2002, 12:52 PM
When I was a little kid i used to do it, but whenever i went back i never founf the stuff i had hidden. I have not done it in years though. I have found hidden stuff before. I wish I woul dhave found the crashed SNow Speeder. I only buy figures too, but i also buy vehicles with exclusive figures.

Darth Evil
04-04-2002, 01:10 PM
I never hid figures, I always go searching for them with my wallet in my pocket. I have, however, found hidden figures before, sometimes the ones I'm looking for. If I had the figure, I'd put it back on the peg, hiding them isn't fair!

stormie
04-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Searching for hidden figures is precisely the reason why my 5 minute toy hunts have now turned into 20 minutes. I've found stuff hidden amongst the HotWheels, the Legos, the stuffed animals, and even amongst housewares. What was once a one-aisle check has expanded to 10. This toy hunting is almost becoming a full-time thing! ;)

El Chuxter
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
I've done so at various times for two reasons:

1) If they have a lot of something that I'm not sure if my friends need or not. Case in point: the ANH 25th Anniversary 2-packs. I wasn't plunking down $32 for mine and $32 for a buddy who I wasn't sure needed them. So I hid one of each. Turned out he didn't need 'em, so I went back the next day and restored them. I always get a kick out of kids who want the toys, and don't like to deprive them of new toys if possible.

2) Target clearances. Target marks down clearance items almost weekly. They'll match prices. . . unless something was already on clearance before it was marked down again. It comes down to a simple question: pay $20 for it this week, or wait until it's $8 and risk not finding it. Or hide it, and if someone else gets it, then they were meant to have it instead of me. I've only actually done this once, with the Lego Technic Stormtrooper, and ended up saving about $27 from the original price. . . or $12 from the first clearance price. But since Target's return and price-matching policies have been rapidly evolving away from what can be called customer service, I try to avoid them except when I know they have something.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-04-2002, 06:12 PM
Whether they end up ordering new figures or not, the local WM hasn't put anything new out since the Shmi wave. I already know they don't put anything out with the pegs full. I think I'll take my chances hiding a few and seeing if they'll put more out.

Remember kids, it's very bad. Do as I say, not as I do, and so forth. :mad: :) :mad:

InsaneJediGirl
04-04-2002, 07:52 PM
I hide figures simply because If I even see something a few waves back,its new to my store.

On the other hand,my dad(a WM employee) has told me NOT
to do this becase WM has recently beefed up in undercover guards.Watch out for any one following/watching you when your
in the hiding process..they'll think your stealing.:crazed:

Battle Droid
04-04-2002, 08:04 PM
I have Dirty Biker Scouts, Sandtroopers, and Clone Troopers hid at the moment at Wal-Mart.

Tycho
04-04-2002, 09:32 PM
Two of my collecting circle buddies are notoriously known as

Darth Stasher

and

The Master-Stasher!

Grrrrr. We have to use cell-phones to find the stuff they bury for us, but they always hide 'em good!

They got caught at Toys R Us, when they quit hiding "things" and started hiding SEALED CASES they took right off the pallets per our connections in the store.

That's how we got our connection with the manager at that store, ironically. They actually CALL US when stuff we want comes in now. We keep them updated of our want lists.

They'd rather move their inventory than do the re-arrangement for their stores (during remodeling, and find things as large as the 12" Dewback and Queen's Ship stashed - for savings until the price drop). For that advantage, the manager over-rides the 30 day return and price-gaurantee and gives it to us anyway.

They liked us to start with though - so don't think this will work with just ANY toy store manager. We are VERY VERY VERY Lucky!

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 09:52 PM
Of course I have to hide them in the store. Have you ever tried hiding them OUTSIDE the store? That darn alarm goes off and that big, burly comes over and asks whats up...

I used to hide stuff for other people after I had grabbed my share of the goods. I'd call 'em and tell where the stuff was hidden and then if they didn't get it in a week or two days or whatever I'd put it back on the shelf. The best is when somebody else is in the store lamenting about how they can never find anything and you say "Hold on a second..." and then come back and make their day. But since most of my collecting buddies have moved away, I don't hide stuff much.

Hiding pegwarmers lets them pull the overstock out of the back and hang it on the pegs. And maybe the stuff in the back is stuff you need.

Sean the Hutt
04-04-2002, 09:58 PM
my god what am I hearing! Stashing? It is not hard enough to find a tie bomber that I have to deal with crafty adults who stash toys...seriously get a job with the mob, or the cia or something...!
whith that news I scrounged the lonlely pet department, and pool suppiles aisle at my wal mart today...no luck!

Turbowars
04-04-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Its a noble thought to hide pegwarmers to get them to put stuff out. But they go buy what stock is left on the computer rather than the shelf. I've hidden things a few times in the past, but not lately. I also carry my debit card, so in case I do find something, I just buy it right there, rather than mess around with hiding it and whatnot. The only thing about carrying a debit card is that you have to make sure there's money in the account:) It seems that my wife always spends the money before I can.

jedi master sal
04-05-2002, 09:58 AM
amen to that brother!

my fiancee can spend the benjamins.

I'm just glad we have seperate accounts.

(probably will when we get married too)

I kick myself thinking about the time I stashed 3 naboo guards (red ones with silver helmet) instead of just putting them on layaway. I think this is a more ethical way of doing it. This way if you are getting them for friends and then find out they don't need it just cancel the layway order. Iv'e cancelled layaways before and they don't seem to care too much.

El Chuxter
04-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Yeah, but some stores charge a restocking fee if you cancel a layaway, or even charge a flat 10% "service charge" for layaway. Of course, I think both of those rules were at K-Mart, so maybe their current legal troubles have convinced them that's not the way of good customer service.

RooJay
04-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Personally I love when people hide figures! I've found lots of cool stuff by looking behind stuff and on the very top shelves in and out of the action figure aisles. One of my favorite places to look is the garden department. People love to hide new and harder to find stuff in the plastic planters and trash cans! Plus, I don't think many collectors think to look, or even go anywhere near the garden department.;)
I'd like to add that I have occasionally hidden stuff myself, and usually don't think to much of it when I go back and someone else has found it. C'est la vie! I have even, like Mr. Tomassi, tipped off other collectors to my hiding places sometimes, and it does indeed feel great to help someone else find the good stuff; especially the kiddies!:happy:

darth chuck
04-07-2002, 12:37 AM
People have been hiding figures since POTJ2 first came out. (Actually, I think I once found a hidden vintage figure back in the 80's). This topic has actually been discussed here in these forums before, also.

Knowing that some out there hide figs, I sometimes don't stop looking after checking the pegs in my local Walmart. On more than one occasion, I have found new figures in the stuffed animal section, barbie section, etc. It also seems to be more fun when I find a rare new figure that someone else stashed away. If I don't purchase these figs, I have always put them back on the pegs.

Oh, by the way, after eight months in the land of no star wars (Korea), I am finally going back to the U.S. this week for a visit. So, if there is anything on the pegs you guys want, better buy it now, because I have a lot of catching up to do!!! ha ha

Man In The Box
04-11-2002, 06:29 PM
I used to do it before the pegwarmer days. They store eventually caught on to us and everytime we looked for our booty it was gone...than the pegwarmers came and actually killed half the fun of figure hunting.

Hellboy
04-14-2002, 02:54 PM
IMHO the only reason you should ever hide fig.'s is if you don't have the money on you and plan on returning to purchase them the same day. I've done this and then I discovered the power the CREDIT CARD.

swcollector
04-16-2002, 01:38 PM
I came across someones stash of 6 Preview Jango Fetts at Toys r us the other day. I bought 2 and put the other 4 back on the pegs.

BanthaPoodoo
04-16-2002, 04:13 PM
I used to stash (before I had a good job) because I didnt have the money on me at the time. Now I just write checks, checks, checks!!!!!!!

sumdumchum
04-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Well I have to say that I hide things when I don't have enough money to buy them. I may be short that week and so I put it away with the hopes of being able to find it there the week after. Like the song goes: I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind... WHAT!!! Oh, you know what I mean. More power to you. :D

Amanamike
04-18-2002, 03:01 PM
I hide things so the store stock boys have to put out new stuff. I wait till there is about 6of 7 figs left out, the i hide them all so they have to crack a new case or 2.

Figurestasher
05-08-2002, 12:35 AM
I love stashing figures... especially when the ones I stash go on clearance.

figrin bran
05-08-2002, 02:56 AM
on a few occasions, i have hidden figures just to keep them out of the hands of scalpers

QLD
05-08-2002, 03:18 AM
I have never stashed anything before. I just buy it then, or leave it, like a normal shopper. I would prefer it if people didn't do it. I find it amusing that people say that people should never scalp anything because they are keeping toys from people who really want them. However, stashing figures accomplishes the same goals. Just think of all the people who have stashed Dookus, and of all the people who cannot find one, only to have one hiding behind the My Little Pony's or something. Hmm...Oh well.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-08-2002, 03:51 PM
What about hiding figures in the store for friends or other SSG collectors? I know of at least two people on SSG who's done that so someone else could later come along and find them without having a scalper (or another collector I suppose) grab them.

I see nothing wrong with anything like that. You may not be in the position to buy it then see that person soon so it's a way for them to get it. The figure gets purchased so the store wins and the collector gets it so he wins. The only loser in this equation is the scumbag scalper.

stevenmh
05-08-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
The only loser in this equation is the scumbag scalper.

Or the honest collector. I found one of each of the preview figures except Jango in WM one day. I had NEVER looked for hidden figures before, but something didn't seem right, and I had a hunch it was there. After digging around a bit, I found him hidden behind a big Gundam box on the bottom shelf across the aisle. As far as I'm concerned, I had to waste 5 minutes of my life tearing up the toy aisle because some brainless imbecile has nothing better to do with his time except hide figures.

I told this story at midnight madness to a guy, and he says "I hide figures all the time." His mentality really shined through that night, as he was the only person present at MM that showed any rudeness.

Here's what I don't understand....if you don't have enough money to buy a $6 figure, what in the world are you doing making a trip to Wal-Mart to browse the toy aisle? I can appreciate being strapped for cash, especially if you're not an adult collector with disposable income. I've been there, too. But if that's the case, stay at home and do something productive, instead of wasting your time and mine by hiding figures. If a scalper gets it, so be it. He's ultimately accountable for his own actions, and you're accountable for yours, and in my experience, what goes around comes around.

Either buy the figures or leave them on the pegs, so someone else who DOES have the money can get them. I don't have the time to disassemble the whole toy department every time I want to check a store for new figures.

Turbowars
05-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I said I'd never do it, but on Monday I hid a Tie Bomber because I had no clue they were 30 bucks each! Then I had a brain storm. WM has a lay away and I'll pick them up tomorrow. So I guess I'm not such a bad guy;)

Monolith
05-09-2002, 12:24 AM
The funniest things about stashing figures:

1) Trying to do it without getting "caught"
2) Forgetting where you stashed what
3) Trying to remember what isle your friend said it was in....Barbie, second shelf from top, or models behind the planes - or was it cars?!?

A friend of mine & I used to do it once in a while when we saw something new out, if we didn't know whether the other one had it or not. Too many cases of either buying it for each other when we already had it, or not buying it and getting a hard time for leaving it.

Dak Powers
05-09-2002, 01:19 AM
This was early in the thread, but hiding pegwarmers just so the stockers will put up new ones is simply mouthwatering! Great idea!

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 11:43 AM
Of course when you hide figures there's always someone who won't get one, but there always seem to be more scalpers out there than actual collectors. If you can get one for a buddy, then what's the big deal? Either you would buy it, so the figure wouldn't be on the premises or stash it, so you can leave it available for a friend or fellow collector.

All collecting boils down to is being in the right place at the right time. I know I've missed out on tons of stuff because someone else got there before me, and part of the time figures were stashed for later. I may get disappointed, but that's how it goes. Sometimes you luck out and find stashed stuff, like I did with my TIE/B and sometimes hidden stuff gets grabbed by someone else.

If you don't want to hunt around, then don't hunt around. Get to the stores earlier or make friends with the stockers or find a group of collectors and pitch in to get stuff for each other. That's what I've had to do and I've ended up finding all kinds of stuff that way.

Good luck.

Orn Free Taa
05-09-2002, 12:20 PM
I have an idea. Everyone go and buy a whole huge shopping cart of peg warmers to trigger the inventory system to order more, wait 29 days, and then return the stuff. :D

Vortex
05-09-2002, 02:04 PM
As a former TRU employee, I would just like to say to all the hiders out there, you guys %$#* rot. You made our lives a nightmare, and made clean up and getting out of work at a decent hour at night nearly impossible.

We'd find figures, beasts, ships, figs in the playschool stuff, hidden in with the stuffed animals, hell I even had to shadow collectors from the 2nd level store room since we suspected them of either stealing or hiding figures. Man, I hated you guys. We'd even have descriptions of regulars in back and we'd point you folks out to the new kids or we'd get a call from the front desk when you walked in the door. You only made things worse for yourself.

At night we had carts full of hidden toys, hot wheels, star wars, star trek...and it all sat in carts in back since we didn't have enough time at night to put it all back where it belonged, while we straightened out the store. The only thing you did was delay the new stuff and cause a lot of headaches and resentment with the employees. Just make your life easier, put it on layaway or talk with an employee to put it on hold for 24 hours or something. We gladly accept the excuses of "I want this, need this, kids b-day gift, forgot my wallet at home, be right back, or I get paid on friday" If you didn't show after 2 days or when you said you'd be back, it went back to the shelf right after that.

Don't hide stuff, you really do make yourself and other collectors look bad...really bad.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Wow, I didn't realize it was that much of a problem for you guys. I was just talking about hiding a couple of items, not cartfulls.

I've actually asked people at both WM and TRU to hold SW stuff for me, and then come back later in the day to have it missing. I always assumed it was some employee/collector/scalper who nabbed it for themself so I got so turned off on asking.

I don't want to make enemies out of the employees, but I still don't see what the big whoop is if you stash a couple of things to come back later for or to hide for a buddy.

fourtwo
05-09-2002, 03:15 PM
who cares how we look?
do you really think we look good as it is?
most of us are grown ups buying kids toys.
how do you tihnk that looks to the majority of the world?
i'm willing to do what it takes to get what i need.

TK421BB
05-09-2002, 05:16 PM
The most secretive place to hide toys at walmart is below the peg boards on the bottom shelf. Actually under the bottom shelf, if their is nothing on top of it you just lift the shelf up and you can hide the figures under their. I do it all the time...

Tycho
05-09-2002, 05:36 PM
I support Tjonovich on this one.

I also want to add that stores order on their computer inventory which is adjusted when you buy something and check out.

If it is missing and the toy manager can't find it, it gets listed as "shrinkage" - which means merchandise that's stolen.

They do not want to stock frequently stolen merchandise because ordering more of it, statistically indicates they'll suffer more of a loss.

They don't know if that stuff is hidden.

I implore you to RESTOCK your hidden junk, or make SURE you buy it. If not, when Star Wars is not as hot as it cools off after the movie, YOU will be the one who loses.

Making them stock when the racks "look" empty only works when they already have cases on hand. Under those circumstances, you can either ask them to go in the back and pick out the figure you are specifically looking for, or they aren't likely to go in the back and stock stuff just because you asked anyway. I'm sure they were doing something else before you walked up to them.

fourtwo
05-09-2002, 05:47 PM
well put.
trying to "trick" the store isn't gonna work one bit.
i buy what i hide, or it gets bought by a friend. if i don't i put it back.
simple as that.

RooJay
05-09-2002, 06:23 PM
I remember this one particular employee in the toy department in my local Target who never seemed to have a problem helping me find things. He was also a collector, and even though I really didn't know him, he was always very cool to me. I once asked him if he could hold a figure for me (I forget which one), but he said that (at the time) they were told not to hold anymore collectible toys for people, but he recommended that I hide it on one of the top shelves. He told me the other guys in the toy department did it all the time, and it usually worked! By the way, I was in the store with no money because the person I was with needed to buy something there. There are always plenty of reasons for me to be in a store with no money. I just like to look sometimes, and just enjoy being out in public.;)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
If it is missing and the toy manager can't find it, it gets listed as "shrinkage" - which means merchandise that's stolen.

Shrinkage! LOL!

I was in the pool! I was in the pool! :)

One things for sure, the only way a chain like WM would ever stop stocking SW is if nobody bought any. Last time I checked people buy tons of figures.

If there really was a big problem and the store thought it was due to theft, they would put their sec. guards over there more often and would train their eye in the sky on that section or where they suspect people are stashing stuff. They wouldn't stop stocking a cash cow like SW figures unless the market dried up.

Vortex
05-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Tycho is totally correct, stocking and ordering is all done with the computer and what's sitting in back at the time.

Its not up to the individual store to order more. Its the regional office, or HQ that calls the shots or orders for stores, and most times its like a pre-order. TRU orders so many cases of this, so much of that...if it sells out, they'll try to get more, but its not on the top of their list of things to do. They are planning for months ahead - chirstmas rush, summer items, bikes and trying to figure out what the next hot items will be. What moves out the door the second it comes in doesn't matter much to them. They'll try to get more to meet the need, but its not high on their list. They are trying to guess what kids want, not us collectors. They don't care about us when they order. Our attention span is fixed on Star Wars - we can wait...kids want this and that, and tomorrow it will be that and this - and kids can't wait.

With a line like star wars they order a lot of initial cases, and it moves fast, but since hasbro is slow in keeping the lines fresh, and shipping a mess of old figs with new, TRU would lower their case orders on different collections since stuff would hang for months, and the computer would only register 20-30 peices sold when they ordered 20 cases. Do the math. 12 figs per case x 20 cases = 240 figures, and only 20-30 sold? That's a loss. Why order product that's not moving, and only has 2-4 new figs? Its a major money loss for them. I remember getting 2 cases of the rebel trooper when it 1st came out. Out of 12 figs it was the only new fig in the case. 4 figs sold out of 24...would you buy more/order of that case if that was the norm?

So hiding doesn't do you a bit of good. It just ticks off the employees, and keeps stock on the shelf, mess up our inventory, but hey if you think it works...keep acting like pack-rats.

Vortex
05-09-2002, 09:25 PM
Here are some tips to avoid hiding and making everyones life easier.

1. Get to know the employees - keep your eyes open to see who's working the floors, who's stocking and who's unloading the truck. Make small talk, other than toys, collecting, when the next shipment is coming in.

2. Don't hover around the areas that go back to the store room. Big no-no. Don't be a pest and demand that people check the back for certain figures. This is a good way to get marked. Just ask if they have seen any new figs or use a name or photo. Trust me, after you restock figures night after night you learn names...

3. If you do find something and are short cash, find an employee, ask nicely if you can have them hold it for x number of days. Please don't make it over 4, try to keep it to one or two. Write your name clearly on a slip of paper, put your name, telephone number, and date you plan on picking it up. And for you youngsters out there. The night crew or morning crew has no clue that Thomas Smith is a 15 year old...and we don't care either. Just be nice about it.

4. Don't go every day to check the pegs, and try not to make a mess when you dig through the pegs. Trucks usually come once every 2-3 weeks, more during christmas time. Just look at the loading docks when you drive by if you can manage...you'll know when they change out a truck. If nothing more, when you make friends with the employees, they will easly let it slip when they get a truck, or just glance in the back room and if you can see a pallet or two full of boxes...they just got a truck. Everyone unloads and its not a fun job.

5. Don't hide stuff in the store. Every night we get assigned a section to clean up, and re-stock. So we push a cart up and down our isles, picking out the out of place stuff, and trying to get it back to its right isle if its in our section. If you hide stuff, it usually stays in the cart since we aren't going to waste our time at night running all over the store putting stuff back. We just push it in back, and IF we have free time in the morning (which we hardly ever do) we'll sort it and put it back...but don't bet on it.

6. Just be social, nice, and remember that the kids are getting paid crap for a hectic job.