PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas?

SirSteve
08-15-2001, 11:56 PM
If you haven't realized, you can set your avatar. If you reach x amount of posts, you will be able to upload your own custom avatar (no bigger than 75x75). Now that we have more room, those of you that like to make avatars can send them in again at a larger size. Larger size means more detail!

Also, If I see unneeded posts being made just to run up the post count, they will be deleted and your post count will just go down.

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 08:02 AM
Does anyone have any tips on how to make your own avatars?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2001, 10:55 AM
"Also, If I see unneeded posts being made just to run up the post count, they will be deleted and [GNT's] post count will just go down."

Had to put that in for ya, 'G'! :D

Sir Steve, in order to have different avatars for different posts, we have to go into our profiles to change them? Or can we change it somehow while replying/creating new threads?

---------

El Chuxter
08-16-2001, 01:09 PM
I'm not entirely clear on one thing. When I signed up, I'm pretty sure it said I'd have to post 50 times before I could set it up. Just wanted to see if I could upload my Jawa Thunder God icon. :)

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 12:17 AM
Bel-cam, on the avatars for posts thing, right now the system is set up to use whatever avatar you're set to for ALL your posts, this is done to minimize the post's data size. So if you change your avatar today, it'll change for everything you did yesterday as well. If it's important to you, post in the Comments/Suggestions section about it and let your voice be heard in the proper place. Even if SirSteve can't change that system, I think there may be an alternate idea... but I'll have to discuss it with SirSteve.

artdoesart
08-17-2001, 08:02 PM
Well as for creating avatars... the only advice is draw from a picture, use a image u like and use it as a template to draw from. and draw carefully pixel by pixel, first outlining the main features with 1x1 black pixels and then filling in...

hope this helps, yes its time consuming, you could probably draw a real image faster but well at 75x75 the only way to go is pixel by pixel my friend...

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 11:54 PM
The bulk of the avatars I drew for this site I did pixel by pixel. The ones I can remember not doing that way are R2 (I drew that one by hand for a much larger design, the Fan Day badge) and the transforming Droideka (I actually did redraw a lot of this one pixel by pixel, but it started out as a full image). The rest I drew pixel by pixel in Photoshop, except for my JediTricks logo, which is designed from the larger version found here:
http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/jt.htm

GNT
08-18-2001, 12:01 AM
Hmmm BCJ

How do you your signature to save? Mine will not save so i'm now posting it by hand until I can figure out how to save it again!

GNT™
''You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi. Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Darth Cruel
08-18-2001, 02:35 AM
Would it work to scan a picture and then shrink it with a photo program?

12inch Lando
08-18-2001, 04:26 AM
Cool pic artdoesart! Umm... I thought that this was a nifty trick that we didn't get to do until later on?

QLD
08-18-2001, 05:23 PM
I'm to lazy to make one, so someone should make one for me. AZ really cool one. A jedi with a big.......lightsaber. I noticed that Bel Cam Jos III wants to have icon wars with me....lol

artdoesart
08-18-2001, 09:22 PM
Darth Cruel,

nah that won't work to well because of the compression that undergoes when u shrink something that small. besides avatars should be pixel drawings like the one you have currently and mine. images that are just shrunked down don't quite do it for me.

in any case good luck!

artdoesart
08-18-2001, 09:25 PM
Hey thanks... yeah ur not supposed to have custom avatars yet.. but some of us are stronger with the force than others... but in time you to will have this option.

but i got to do it a little early since i work for the man upstairs SSG! (hint my nick tells u what i do)

okay well take care. thanks for the compliment...

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 10:07 PM
If you want to use a picture for your avatar, try to find one that's pretty small to begin with. The Kithaba pic I used was only 200X183 pixels to begin with. I just uploaded the image into Microsoft paint, converted it into a bitmap, then cropped the picture until you just see his face. Finally I saved it as a JPEG and uploaded it.

Pretty easy.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by GNT
Hmmm BCJ

How do you your signature to save? Mine will not save so i'm now posting it by hand until I can figure out how to save it again!

GNT™
''You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi. Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious Read the How Do I section of the forums for the answer.

GNT
08-20-2001, 02:15 AM
Thanks JT :D I got it to save :)

El Chuxter
08-20-2001, 11:59 AM
What I want to know is if I can use the JediTricks logo as my avatar and pretend to be in charge. :D

evenflow
08-20-2001, 03:31 PM
I am happy with my Royal Guard, but I wouldn't mind like Carnor Jax.

What the Hell, Amanaman would be cool too.

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
What I want to know is if I can use the JediTricks logo as my avatar and pretend to be in charge. :D yeah, till I see it, then you're a goner. "Trouble" with a capital "T", which rhymes with "E" which stands for "El Chuxter is gonna be in Trouble". ;)

GNT
08-21-2001, 12:50 AM
Can we get bigger Avatars?

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 09:18 PM
75x75 is the current size limit.

JediTricks
08-30-2001, 06:07 AM
On these forums, I have drawn the current Chewbacca, blinking C-3PO, transforming Droideka, Scout Trooper, R2-D2, tusken raider, the death of Maul animated icon, and the animated Darth Vader removing helmet, so if you want to see my style, those are the basic idea of what I do. If you have another icon in mind that you'd like to see me try, just let me know and I might give it a try.

master jedi
08-30-2001, 03:20 PM
How about an unfolding battle droid.

Lobito
08-30-2001, 04:05 PM
Can u make a Lak Sivrak icon??

GNT
08-31-2001, 01:08 AM
How bout the Emperor with bolts that come out of his hands???

2-1B
08-31-2001, 01:23 AM
JediTricks, I think an ion cannon would look great !

AmanaMatt
08-31-2001, 03:34 AM
I'd really, really dig an Amanaman icon (let's rip off the collectsarwars.com one)!

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 11:30 AM
Interesting ideas, I'll give them a lot of thought, and let you folks know if I think of good ways to do this (although most of the time, once I get a good idea of how I want to approach something, I'll simply do it on the spot).

master jedi, would you happen to know of any photos of the battle droid collapsed (or even better, several of the scenes where it transforms)? I've been trying to do that one for a while now, but I can never get it even close.

Grif
08-31-2001, 02:48 PM
How about an exploding Death Star.

JediCole
08-31-2001, 03:31 PM
How about an animated Worrt (Rock Creature) snapping up prey with its tongue (as in Jedi). Also a Bantha, Tuan Tuan, or an Opee would be nice. I just love the animals of the Star Wars Universe!

Jargo
08-31-2001, 07:11 PM
I found this battle droid a while ago, don't know if he's what you were thinking of. :)

JediTricks
09-01-2001, 02:26 AM
Thanks Jargo, it wasn't the angle I was originally thinking of, but I think I can use it's frames as inspiration when I draw this. I don't know when I'll have the free time, but I'll give it a shot.