PDA

View Full Version : A Hasbro Thank You Gift?

icatch9
04-03-2002, 08:18 PM
I know what the general Feeling is about Hasbro. They suck, weather that is true or not is very unimportant now. They provide us with Star Wars toys, period. But did you ever think for a minute that they reward us collectors. I know I know that sounds ridiculous, but think about it for one minute. How many POTF 2 figures did you find at Toys R Us for $2.97 and $1.97? Not to mention all the vehicles for a fraction of the price. Then they did the same thing for Episode I figures. I know that I found all but 5 figures from the Episode I line for $1.97. Again, they reduced all the vehicles too. We all got some great deals. I know a lot of people got tons of the CT Stormtrooper to build their army. Some may say that Hasbro was getting rid of all the stuff they made too much of. But if you look at it from a different point of view, Hasbro perhaps thanked us all. They thanked us for buying their product buy giving us the same product for a fraction of the price. Maybe itís a wishful thinking point of view, but you just never know.

Turbowars
04-03-2002, 09:27 PM
That's a nice way to put it, but the prices were cut because the stuff just wasn't selling, althought I did complete my EP1 collection when TRU sold them at 1.97

dr_evazan22
04-04-2002, 12:30 AM
I'm w/ Turbowars on this point.

The sale was no "Fan Appreciation". We've got the Fan's Choice fig's for that. It was a simple business decision. There was so much product out there that people weren't buying at regular price, the prices had to be lowered to move the product.

We'll most likely see something similar w/ AOTC fig's. They'll produce so many now, w/ the movie coming out, so that they can sell as many as possible at full price. Hopefully Hasbro will make better decisions about case assortments that new fig's will flow into the stores.
Part of the reason for the sale was b/c (it seemed like) there were a few Maul's, a few Obi's, a few Q-G's, a few battle Droids per case, w/ very little of newer fig's like the blue astro-mech, Sio and a few others.

Another problem w/ distribution (of the POTJ line) is/are retailers who just blindly order cases of fig's, not paying attention to the fact that there were different waves w/ different fig's. this lead to the fig's warming the pegs b/c the collectors in the area bought the fig's once and there was no room on peg for newer fig's.

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 12:59 AM
Hasbro wasn't doing us a favor, they were screwing us over. They overproduced expecting us collectors to be the mindless sheep which they think we are and expecting that they could keep their kids market share without actually DOING anything to salvage the slipping market. This overproduction caused retailers to stop selling product which caused prices to go up and retailers to buy less and less new product, causing a cycle of failure which eventually led to liquidation. No, this wasn't any sort of appreciation, this was a betrayal of the collecting community on Hasbro's part.

icatch9
04-04-2002, 09:16 AM
Wow, it seems that I touched a bit of a nerve. Well I don't know anything about Hasbors business transactions, and I doubt many do. Never the less, I am glad that Hasbro put out that stuff for the cheaper price. No matter what thier reasons where. I have been a collector since the begginging and I don't feel screwed over, but my opinions on these sorts of things are always in the minority. I will just leave it at that. To each thier own. Good luck guys.

Amanamike
04-04-2002, 01:00 PM
You dont want the stuff to cheap to aften because then stores will say, "Screw it!!" and not order again because they arent selling and they arent making money.

GeneralKenobi
04-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Hasbro has nothing to do with the clearance prices in stores...each chain determines what prices they are going to charge hence KB still charging $7.99 for a Zutton while a majority of stores are lower...IMO, I would like to see Hasbro reward it's customers with mail-in offers...I've got a bunch of UPC points that I have saved and maybe someday I could use them. Maybe they could have a mail-in Dodonna or Riekeean.

evenflow
04-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by dr_evazan22
The sale was no "Fan Appreciation". We've got the Fan's Choice fig's for that.

I agree. That is the only thing that we get. I hope there is another one soon. :) We deserve it.

Amanamike
04-04-2002, 01:57 PM
I know Hasbro has nothing to do wiht the prices in stores. Thats why I was aying that if they are selling to cheap then the store doesnt make money and hence wont order more.

icatch9
04-04-2002, 02:35 PM
How do you know who controls the prices? Specifically the prices of the clearance figures that were found mainly at Toys R Us, and KB outlets?

dr_evazan22
04-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by GeneralKenobi
IMO, I would like to see Hasbro reward it's customers with mail-in offers...I've got a bunch of UPC points that I have saved and maybe someday I could use them. Maybe they could have a mail-in Dodonna or Riekeean.

I've been saving my Jedi Master points AND receipts since they had the last offer (I forget if it was the slide viewer or the POTF2 '95 to '98 poster). I've got a whole box full of them!:crazed:

Now c'mon Hasbro and give us something we can mail in for!

BTW icatch9, I didn't dislike paying $2 per fig; Hell, I loved that! It was the fact that I still didn't find what I needed to complete the collection. If I could have found the fig's I would've been happy to pay $6 / fig.

2-1B
04-04-2002, 03:41 PM
:frus: I gave up on the Jedi Master points long ago. I had TONS of them set aside, and I kept receipts for most of them. I finally caved and threw them out because even if they do offer something in the future, I think they will limit the time frame on the receipts so all of mine would be expired anyway. So far my decision has not come back to haunt me :)

dr_evazan22
04-04-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
:frus: I gave up on the Jedi Master points long ago.... So far my decision has not come back to haunt me :)
That is unfortunate:) .

I thought the same thing about the receipts and decided I would just send in old ones first. Maybe they would feel compelled to recognize my effort in saving them all these looonnngg years!;)

JediTricks
04-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Hasbro's business practices during those big sales were out of neccessity, not generosity. They were hoarding all that unsold stuff in their warehouses because nobody wanted it and eventually they ran out of space to hold the stuff when they decided to close some of their warehouses; and they ran out time to get rid of it all because they held back so much stuff for so long that stores would NEVER have interest in it at regular prices.

As for pricing issues, Hasbro does decide MSRP, but once they sell the product to the stores, it's up to the retailer how much they charge (which is why FAO charged more than KB even though they probably paid exactly the same price for their cases). Hasbro also sends out representatives to help stores properly sell product and give advice. Hasbro got in a seriously huge amount of trouble when they were named along with TRU as defendants in a lawsuit (I think it involved price-fixing and anti-trust issues) here in California, they were indicted and got in big trouble, and after that TRU stopped getting Hasbro product first.

Sith Vicious
04-05-2002, 05:41 PM
In regards to the expired receipts for jedi points, it's pretty easy to forge receipts. My comic shop sells figures and all that's printed on there is a price and date. How could they tell if anything I bought on there wasn't a star wars figure? However, I doubt Hasbro will ever do anything with them so don't feel bad if you threw out your points.

JediTricks
04-06-2002, 04:59 AM
icatch9, I'm not sure my intended message really came through in that last post - it's not anger directed at you, it's just frustration with Hasbro's practices and the idea that they shouldn't profit from doing the collecting community harm.