PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck knew what a clone was in 1977?

icatch9
04-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Now a days cloning is common knowledge. We may not understand it, but we all get the ďjist of itĒ. But who the hell knew what it was in 1977. I know I didnít, but I was just a kid. Was cloning even a scientific term back then? How did George Lucas come up with this idea? He is a genus, but I think that this shows how amazing his imagination truly is. How he could imagine such a thing that would somewhat come true in the future. Of course we donít have clone armies now, but the technology is nearly there and these things may be possible in the near future.

jw_bryant
04-03-2002, 08:18 PM
1977 wasnt that long ago. cloning and immortality have always been dreams of science and medicine, since a lot longer ago than almost 30 years ago.

Rollo Tomassi
04-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Yeah. There were bad sci-fi movies in the 40's and 50's with names like 'Attack of the Clones" and stuff....

.................:frus:

Well, that was a happy accident. I didn't mean that, honestly. But the concept of clones has been a sci-fi staple for YEARS. Way before ANH in '77...

Really, I didn't think about it until AFTER I typed it.

Why won't you believe me?

C'mon guys...:(

chewie
04-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Real-life natural clones happen all the time in the form of identical twins. George really didn't think of anything that wasn't already well known.

sith_killer_99
04-03-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey, I thought they said clown wars.....

Just picture a bunch of Jedi Knights getting PIES thrown in their faces.....

hehehe....Yoda ala Key Lime pie!

JediTricks
04-03-2002, 11:06 PM
Yup, there are sci-fi stories about the dangers of cloning that are a century old, Lucas certainly didn't come up with anything new - but that's never been his strong point anyway.

Beast
04-03-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Hey, I thought they said clown wars.....
Just picture a bunch of Jedi Knights getting PIES thrown in their faces.....hehehe....Yoda ala Key Lime pie!
Attack of the Clowns! Starring Bozo, Ronald, and Shaak Ti. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 11:48 PM
Attack of the Calogne Wars:

"It has been ten years since the Phantom Menace, and Anakin is still going through the no-bathing phase..."

2-1B
04-03-2002, 11:54 PM
For those of you who saw it in '77, did you think the stormtroopers might be clones ? ("aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?")

LTBasker, I know they are not all exactly the same height in the movie, but I'm wondering if the audience was supposed to think they were :)

Beast
04-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
For those of you who saw it in '77, did you think the stormtroopers might be clones ? ("aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?")
I dunno if we were supposed to think they were clones, but my brother and a few of my friends always thought they were robots. :rolleyes: Kids back then, ya know what I mean. :D But, on the other hand. That means that most of them forsaw the Battle Droid armys from E1 back then, by thinking the Empire was using droids. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
04-04-2002, 06:49 AM
there are kids at my school who aren't very familiar with starwars and still think stormies are robots...

icatch9
04-04-2002, 09:20 AM
Well obviously we all have different opinions on the Star Wars movies, and it seems that my opinion is always the minority one on these posts.

I donít know much about Sci-Fi movies from the 50ís, so I couldnít tell you if they did have clones or not. I do know that Lucas did borrow ideas from many different stories, but itís not as if he stole the story line. I bet authors use ideas that influence them all the time. I think itís called ďinspirationĒ.

My point was that he took an idea that was not very well known at the time and made it totally relevant. Again, we have different ideas, and I feel that Lucas is a modern day movie genus.

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
there are kids at my school who aren't very familiar with starwars and still think stormies are robots...

HERETICS!!! :eek:

and now... back to the show!

I new what clones were back in 1977. There were many Sci-fi shows that had dealt with the issue. Heck- if you watched NBC during the late 70s there were all sorts of shows like "The Invisible Man", "The Man From Atlantis" and "The Omega Man" (I think that last one was right)... but a lot of the plots or subplots involved clones. Those shows aired at 20h and my bedtime was at 21h, so I got to see a lot of them. Maybe we weren't so unsophisticated back then after all!

And, icatch9... I don't think of you any less for being a forum "minority". I still like you... just as you are! :happy:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Back to the question, I did not make the connection between "The Clone Wars" and a battle between identical warriors. I know that was a pretty basic idea, but it wasn't really clear to me until I read "Dark Force Rising" by Timothy Zahn. Then it just hit me, "clones" ... CLONES! Oh yeah...

I also thought Stormtroopers were robots, and that Han and Luke jsut scooped out the wires and stuff to use their suits. I was also 5-6 years old.

chewie
04-04-2002, 01:59 PM
I was about 1 year old when SW:ANH came out. So I didn't remember a thing from it until its re-release a few years later.

The "Clone War" reference went by me just as all the other unimportant points in the movie (especially to a small child).

Years later, I wondered a bit about the Clone War, but really didn't think much of it. After starting on the internet in early 1994, I started reading the theories and held to the one of soldiers looking identical to Boba Fett.

The only thing new to me is the stormtrooper/Fett costume mix we now have.

Jargo
04-04-2002, 05:58 PM
last time this came up I said the same thing: Way back in the mid seventies my Mum used to get a magazine called SHE which was a cheap version of Cosmopolitan or something. Anyway this one summer - 77 I believe, I was in the garden and bor4ed as hell and started looking at the adverts for ladies underwear as kids do... Then i started to read an article called "The baby machine" which talked about splicing genes to obtain the baby of choice, with characteristics that a parent chose like sex, hair colour, eye colour, intelligence level, skin colour, sexuality etc. It also talked about cloning and the inherent dangers to society should such a process ever be used to make an army........ spooky stuff and more like SCI-FI than fact. But it was fact. And it was 1977. So yes they whole cloning thing was big back then just as it is now. The only difference is that now we've actually witnessed real clones in our lifetimes. albeit sheep and frogs and rats, but still clones. And we've witnessed the first court ruling allowing the breeding of children for medical purposes in a case here in Britain, a couple fought for the right to have a child born to donate bone marrow specifically. This will be possible by gene manipulation. It's the first step towards actually cloning a child. I expect the next court ruling to allow a child to be cloned to replace a sick and dying child. To alleviate the parents loss as it were. It's the selfish greedy rich who will finally push through the cloning process not a film director. Film directors are there to show how bad it is and how it could end up in one possible scenario. I think Lucas is making his standpoint quite obvious on this matter. Don't you?

Dryanta
04-04-2002, 07:29 PM
I agree with Jrgo wholely.
I was almost 8 when I went to see ANH.My mother took me and my next brother up to the drive in to see it.
Now I loved it but I was 5'6' at the time and my brother was bigger.We were crammed into the front seats of a Datsun 210 hatch back.My mother worked so much she was asleep in the back.So the question for me is not did I know what a clone was but if I even heard the statement in the first place.I was 7 and really uncomfortable and hyper!!LOL good times,the best.Never thought about it until way into the eighties.

icatch9
04-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Well I guess alot of people did know what a clone was. Good to know.

Cloneing is a very interesting topic. Its funny how many movies new and old have show cloning to be a bad thing. I hope that this help people realize that playing God is this way is wrong.