PDA

View Full Version : Now that U know more about the movie do U still hate the name AOTC?

JediDan
04-03-2002, 11:07 PM
Now that we know more about the movie and its ties with the clones do you still think the title sux? I 1st hated the title but now I see where Lucas is going with it, so I have actually grown into it and I now like it. It really seems to fit now. How about you guys out there, what do you think?

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 11:10 PM
I never hated the title, if you look at the title for all the movies, there are really thorw backs to 50's B Sci-Fi movies it seems. The Phantom Menace, A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi; say all the titles with a deep omniscient voice like you were a voice over for those old sci-fi movies.

"Beware!!! For the Empire Strikes Back!!!"

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 12:10 AM
You betcha, still seems like a bad choice between all the "Send in the Clones" comments I've been hearing and the whole problem with "attack of the ______(blank)______" being a stupid cliche for the past 20 years.

jedihunter25
04-04-2002, 12:26 AM
I was expecting "The Clone Wars" but since the clone wars don't start till the end of the movie, the title isn't bad at all.

chewie
04-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Yes. It is still a bad movie title. The explanation that its a throwback to early sci-fi radio/tv programs still doesn't make the title any less awful, IMO.

2-1B
04-04-2002, 12:48 AM
I'm alright with it.

I didn't hate it when they announced it, but it did sound a bit strange. Rick said it would reflect on the changes Anakin was going through, and AOTC threw me a bit. Meh, it could be worse . . . right ? :crazed: ?

Fulit
04-04-2002, 01:27 AM
It's a bit silly, but I can deal. It's not like it would make people who don't understand my love for Star Wars make fun of me less if it had a better title. Oh well, screw them. :D

Pendo
04-04-2002, 09:52 AM
I like the Attack of the Clones title. I think it fits in and still has the b-movie feel to it. Putting them all together you can see it fits:

The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Death of Jar Jar
A New Hop
the Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 12:19 PM
I have to admit that it's really not that bad. It was quite jarring to hear EPISODE I was going to be called "The Phantom Menace". I reacted the same way...

Honestly... the worst title of all of them has to be "A New Hope". That title is just so s-o-f-t... :happy: mmmmmm... marshmellowy :zzz: Srrrkkkk! :eek: However... I haven't a problem with the titles of the films. I think they are fine.

evenflow
04-04-2002, 01:32 PM
It's not as bad now as it was then. It grew on me i guess.

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 01:56 PM
I kinda hated it at first because I don't really like the whole "retro" thing going on this time around... but it's not bad I guess, there could have been better titles BUT, oh well.

pthfnder89
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Honestly, I never hated it. I understand why some people don't like it, and it''s not my favorite title, but it really doesn't bother me at all.

Then again, I NEVER understood why everyone HATED TPMs title. It always sounded ok to me, at least as much as the rest of the series. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that AOTC is totally different than the rest of the Star Wars titles is on crack:crazed:

JediTricks
04-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Here's an example... yesterday I was flipping channels and stopped on E! where Anthony Daniels was doing a satellite for E! News about some NY museum SW show and was watching and watching all happy and then someone (I can't remember if it was the suckup anchor or Daniels himself) said the title and I literally winced and cringed before I could stop myself. It sounds THAT BAD to me!

NesteaFett
04-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Yes, I disagree with the title. For it to be a more accurate depiction of the film itself, I think it should be called, "Rescue of the Clones" or maybe, "The Clones Strike Back" or how about, "The Republic's Backup Plan For The Messing Up of the Jedi That Consists of the Attack of Clones." I don't know which one sounds better. I personally wished they called it, "Jango Fett Clones Saved My Arse."

pthfnder89
04-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
...and then someone (I can't remember if it was the suckup anchor or Daniels himself) said the title and I literally winced and cringed before I could stop myself. It sounds THAT BAD to me!

Are you sure you aren't epileptic JediTricks? Might have been a small seizure..;)

SithDroid
04-06-2002, 01:18 AM
Yes, the title is still horrible.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 01:30 AM
My personal ranking of the titles, in the order I "like" them are:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Attack of the Clones
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace

But I don't hate any of them :)

bigbarada
04-06-2002, 02:52 PM
I never really understood what all the hoo-haa was about the title. When I first heard (actually read) it on SW.com my immediate reaction was, "Yes! That's it! Perfect!" That was all internal monologue of course, since I was at the computer at work and wasn't supposed to be cruising SW sites.

I loved the title at first, got a little wary of it for a while; but now that we have the actual trailer and I've seen some of the figures - I can think of no better title.

Even if I could, we're stuck with AOTC so what's the point in complaining? (I'm sure I'm about to find out :rolleyes: )

Magnolia-Fan
04-06-2002, 11:39 PM
I've never had much of a problem with "attack of the clones".

I dont like the name "Larry Lipschitz", though.

This topic has reminded me of something.

You should all look at this:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/frame/external_site_index/1,3956,2404561,00.html?fid=2404561&prn=1&rcid=1650&mt=&bw=&v=&w=&h=&refsite=&ad_ref=&cch=&admediatype=swf&adid=2423780&adbadgetype=sponsor&flash=true&frameSize=&mext=&mm=&iid=33471485&redirUrl=http%3A//www.campchaos.com/cartoons/george_lucas/index.html&ubw=

It's a parody of "Ed Wood", except with George Lucas as the dopey director. (shockwave format)

NesteaFett
04-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Ok, totally off topic, but it's bothering me. Wasn't it a Magnolia-Fan guy that Jay and Silent Bob beat up in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

2-1B
04-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by NesteaFett
Ok, totally off topic, but it's bothering me. Wasn't it a Magnolia-Fan guy that Jay and Silent Bob beat up in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?

Yes, but the Magnolia-Fan in Jay and Lunchbox Strike Back did not look like Chewie's dad. :D

Jargo
04-07-2002, 10:02 PM
I have one problem with it, the word attack. When do the clones attack? They don't attack anything they surge to the rescue of the jedi and the senator for naboo. They storm rather than attack. I think a more apt title would be storm of the clones but even that sounds iffy. The word storm has more of a foreshadowing connection to the OT than attack does though. And the clones are referred to in the script as stormtroopers. Not clones. Or at least the battle bits refers to them as stormtroopers and the Coruscant landing stage scene refers to them as stormtroopers. So the clones bit only refers to the Kamino part where they discuss the cloning procedure and reason for their creation. But i that section the clones aren't doing anything other than being billeted at at a training camp so there's no attack anywhere. that's why the title sucks for me. Also the acronym looks ugly AOTC looks like something you'd find in a banking manifesto.

BanthaPoodoo
04-08-2002, 12:45 PM
The clone wars dont actually start really until SWEIII.....

The very last scene before Yoda says "Begun this clone war has", they look out and see all the Cruisers and soldiers marching up ramp......

So really to call it Attack Of The Clones is a misnomer. They should have called it Making Of The Clones or something...

My personal favorite suggestion:

"Jango Fett's Clones Saved My Arse."

I read that and it cracked me up!!! :D

But being 25, I am just glad to have any kind of SW movies again. When I first heard they were doing SWEI I was like, no ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 16 years I get another SW movie!!!!!!!!

And all the great merchandise!!!!!! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

Jargo
04-08-2002, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call it great merchandise..... 'The hand of the Sith' is my current favourite for a retitled movie. It has a real 1930's saturday morning action serial feel while having a nod to the fact that the hands are important as symbols for some reason. that's why lucas keeps cutting them off right?

Anyway I may just call the movie SWII from now on cuz the title is starting to bug me more and more as the hype builds up. It's like an irritating seed stuck between your teeth that just won't budge but you can feel it there and it niggles with a tiny little pain..... or like a haemorhoid, itching like you wouldn't believe...... It's just plain out crap. So SWII it is for me.

But no, the merchandise isn't great at all. In fact from what I've seen so far it's pretty crappy. Right down to the breakfast cereals and the kids socks and the backpacks and the board games and the collectible card games and the no content books and the multiple cash in CD covers. Rip off cash cow. And people try to say that Lucas isn't merchandise driven GIMME A BREAK PURLEASE!!!!!

BanthaPoodoo
04-08-2002, 05:39 PM
Reminds me of Spaceballs:

"Merchandising, Merchandising. Spaceballs the toilet paper, spaceballs the flamethrower, etc, etc.........."