PDA

View Full Version : any prediction which episode2 figure would be hard to find?

earl
04-04-2002, 01:19 AM
I've learned a lot of lessons from my episode1 splurging spree last 1999. I spent around $200 on my first stop at walmart on all ep1 related products including kenner figs, micro machines, lego, books, applause products, and shirts. My first priority was hasbro's action figures, since my budget was $200, i only got the main characters like Darth Maul, Quigon Jinn, Anakin, Obiwan, Padme, etc. leaving Mace Windu (since i have the preview fig), Ki-Adi-Mundi, Boss Nass, etc. After 2 weeks, when i got my pay check, i immediately went to the nearest walmart, toys r us, and target stores only to find out that all the ones ive left behind were gone. the only ones were left were JarJars, C3pos, Senator Palpatines, and Chancellor Valorums.

Now that apr23 is fast approaching and and my budget for that day is a hundred lesser than before (i now have more bills to pay). would any one of you kind enough to give advice which figures should i pick up on the 23rd?

these are my priority:
1.anakin (hangar duel)
2.kit fisto
3.shaak ti
4.super battle droid
5.nikto jedi

who would be the next 5 figures?

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Its too hard to tell at this point, IMO. We've gotten word that most stores will receive or have already received many cases of figures, maybe even more so than E1. Your best bet is to find out each case break down, and then pick up the ones that are only 1 per case. Then work from there.

Do any of us know officially what the case breakdowns are?

Fulit
04-04-2002, 01:30 AM
Whichever ones I'm not able to pick up on the 23rd. ;)

bigbarada
04-04-2002, 03:07 PM
The Ep1 line taught me many valuable lessons when it comes to Hasbro's tactics:

1. Pass on the first waves of core characters - Hasbro will sculpt and resculpt these guys until you wanna plotz.

2. Buy the obscure and background characters - like the Tusken female, Nikto Jedi and Shaak Ti. Because, chances are, this is the last time you will ever see them in action figure form.

3. BUY THE VEHICLES AND BEASTS! - Hasbro thinks there is no market for these things, which is why they are relegated to in-store exclusives and non-existence during the slow times. This is why we haven't seen a Shuttle or a good Jabba yet.

However, don't spend your money on crappy toys just to artificially inflate demand. This sends Hasbro the message that we will buy anything.

Unfortunately, thanks to the completists, this is partially true. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, guys! You know who you are!:mad:

When all is said and done, though, I don't think any Ep2 figures will be that hard to find a few months from now. The first few waves are always the most plentiful and clog the clearance bins long after the line is cancelled. The last waves of any line have always been the rare ones. Case in point: who's worth more - vintage loose Darth Vader or vintage loose YakFace? Darth Maul Tatooine or Sio Bibble?

See what I mean? Above all, don't fall for the hype and BE PATIENT!!!

pthfnder89
04-04-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by earl

these are my priority:
1.anakin (hangar duel)
2.kit fisto
3.shaak ti
4.super battle droid
5.nikto jedi

who would be the next 5 figures?

Well for one thing, Anakin Hangar Duel probably won't be out on the 23rd so you might want to drop him off the list.

I would leave off ShaakTi unless you just REALLY want her. I've had one for a while now and she isn't that great. I wouldn't be surprised if she is a major peg warmer. The one thing that does stand out though is that shes a Jedi, so that might help her sell. The Jedi from Ep1 were genereally some of the best sellers, but then again there are going to be many, many more of them in AOTC so buyers might be a bit pickier about which ones they get.

Really though, NONE of the figures will be very hard to find. Yes, after a few days most of the original stock will be gone, but after a week or two all the figures will be back on the shelves. There weren't any figures from Ep1 that were incredibley hard to find until the last few waves.

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing all but the Army Builder characters, Boba, Jango, and some Jedi will be peg-warmers, scalpers'll be grabbing up the Bobas and Jangos probably.

Beast
04-04-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I'm guessing all but the Army Builder characters, Boba, Jango, and some Jedi will be peg-warmers, scalpers'll be grabbing up the Bobas and Jangos probably.
The Battle droids and 1st Maul were slightly difficult to find on May 3rd in 99. LTBasker is right, look for Army builders, Jango, and Boba to be in shorter supply then the rest. After all I can find nice quantities of all of the preview figures at my local stores, except for Jango.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Also too, with the way they are packing cases to prevent shortpacking, there shouldn't really be any figure difficult to find because of case shipments.

I'm personally going for all army builders first. I'll fill up a cart with as many Battledroids and Super battledroids as I can get.

nwookie
04-04-2002, 05:56 PM
A cart full?!?! A cart full?!? Please, someone tell me he is joking! Its people like him that make it soooo impossible for people like my brother to buy his son just ONE of each the figures; or for a casual collector who just wants one of his favorite characters. Come on! Let everyone at them and fill a cart a day or two later. Add scalpers on top of this and its months and months before you can find many figures. I sincerely hope many stores put limits on what you can buy. So called "army builders" pushing a cart to the aisle and immediately shoveling in all the figures is completely out of hand and complete @-hole move.

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 06:05 PM
I think what would be a good idea for army building is to not do it right away, maybe 4-7 of each army builder is good number to get at once depending on the supply in the store. Remember there are internet sites and some should have some ok prices on these things. Don't build your army up at once, just do it gradually, the Ep2 stuff isn't gonna go anywhere, not before the movie comes out. ;)

IcebergSlim
04-04-2002, 08:02 PM
There will be hell to pay if I see anyone buying more than 2 of the same figure within the first week

NesteaFett
04-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I'm slightly new at this thing too with the whole army builder thing. I am not used to actually having money and being able to drive places. In '99 I was turning 16 and my parents bought all the figures for my birthday, save Gasgano. This year it's different. So far though I haven't bought much in the way of building an army. I waited a while to buy up some of the clonetrooper preview figures. When I saw that they were becoming peg warmers I started buying them every once in a while. I only have 5 Battle droids from Episode 1. When I found Collection 1 and 2 at ol' Wally World I bought two Super Battle Droids and one battle droid. I guess I'm not one of the "bad" army builders. I only get enough for small scenes to setup in my room. Although, I have like a million stormtroopers.

NesteaFett
04-04-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey, look at that! 100 posts! Ok, that was cheap...

Fulit
04-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Wasn't there a limit to two per customer last time? I hope they impose that rule this time, because anyone who tries to hoard everything the 23rd at the store I'm going to is going to hear about it from me.

earl
04-05-2002, 09:07 AM
damn! i just cant wait for apr23! part of the fun is the hunt for your favorite figure!

JEDIpartner
04-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by IcebergSlim
There will be hell to pay if I see anyone buying more than 2 of the same figure within the first week

You'll be lucky to make out to your car alive, I'LL say!!! :mad:

pthfnder89
04-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
Wasn't there a limit to two per customer last time? I hope they impose that rule this time, because anyone who tries to hoard everything the 23rd at the store I'm going to is going to hear about it from me.

None of the stores I went to had any type of restrictions on how many you could buy (except maybe not letting anyone buy actual cases) I doubt most stores will have restrictions this time either, because the figures aren't exactly limited edition. there will be plenty of everything to go around, so stores will probably sell any of it to anyone.

nwookie
04-05-2002, 01:39 PM
I've just formulated my plan. If I see someone loading a cart full I will just sit back and let them. Then, I'll just "shop" from out of their cart as opposed to the pegs.

Mr Sci Fi
04-08-2002, 03:31 AM
:D You guys are funny, getting all upset about people buying more than two of each figure. Let the people buy what they want, there will be plenty around. If some wants to be stupid and buy alot of something let them, they'll get their just deserts in the end. Can you guys name one ep1 figure from the first releases that's hard to find or worth something on the secondary market? Maybe a paint variant or something but that's it.

I myself will probably be buying it by the sealed case + 2 off the peg of each, like I did for ep1. I like collecting cases, it's cool just to have uponed boxes of any sw stuff.

LTBasker
04-08-2002, 03:43 AM
The Battle Droids for awhile were HTF on the net and stuff, but then we got real Battle Droids like the Security and Boomer Damage Battle Droid and then their demand left. .00/.0000 versions of figures from May 3rd (except .0000 Maul) kinda fetch a little more than the other figures. But since those aren't the actual figures...

If you see someone grabbing a few army-builder figs, then no biggy. But if someone's REALLY stocking up on stuff like 10+ of figures, then approach them and talk to'em or just flat-out PREACH THE MIGHTY COLLECT TO COLLECT! :happy:

I plan on getting a few army-builder figures like Battle Droids, Super Battle Droids, Preview Clone Troopers (if they have any), and if Geonosians are there, I'll get a few of them too if I can. Probably not all at Wal-Mart though, I'm also going to TRU in case they have those cool certificates so I can put one with my May 3rd Midnight Madness certificate. :cool: