PDA

View Full Version : Carnivorous Reek?

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 12:06 PM
It's obvious that the Acklay and the Nexu are carnivorous beasts and are beant on eating Padme, Obi Wan, and Anakin, but what about the Reek. It looks more like a herbivorous beast that would only stomp and gore them like a rhino, elephant, or raging bull. I remember reading somewhere a long time ago about them getting fed to the reek, but it doesn't look that way to me after seeing the look of the beast.

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 12:38 PM
I dunno... He probably IS carnivorous. What would be the point of putting a creature like that into an arena if he weren't a total threat to the intended victims?

I suppose if you want to use the argument that he doesn't LOOK like he has the physical traits of a total carnivore, then I suppose he could be an omnivore...

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 12:45 PM
I think it would be really cool it he WAS a carnivore, or and omnivore. It would be kinda creepy (sort of minotaurish). The romans used animals that weren't carnivores in their spectacles though, either to figth each other and humans, or simply to gore or do worse thing to victims. (I can't imagine ol George going THAT far with this movie though, you know, the horny bull thing).

Pendo
04-04-2002, 12:54 PM
The Reek is in the Star Wars Universe. It is full of strange and interesting creatures. Just because it doesn't look carniverous it doesn't mean that it isn't. I'd have to say it is carniverous, otherwise the audience won't feel like the Jedi are in trouble.

PENDO!

chewie
04-04-2002, 02:08 PM
I'd say the Reek is like a bull. Not carnivorous, but still very territorial and angry.

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 02:09 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm afraid of many large creatures who have absolutely no interest in eating me. I'm standing by my conviction that the reek is dangerous, not because it's carnivorus, but because it's got big horns and likes to stomp and gore people like a rhino. Hell, maybe George will prove me wrong and have the reek eat a few Geonosians, or maybe a jedi or two or, if I could have my ultimate wish, aurra sing.

Jargo
04-04-2002, 03:53 PM
The Reek has no teeth only a bony ridge which indicate a cud chewing nature like a cow or Bull. The Reek is only dangerous because of it's territorial nature and aggresion in the face of anything that isn't normal. Jedi and the arena could be seen as not normal for this creature as well as the fact that the Geonosians prod the poor buggar with electro poles to get him nice and riled. The Reek wouldn't eat anything that it killed but it would, like a bull in a Spanish bullfighting ring, fight to the death to protect itself. Those horns and it's feet would prove to be very formiddable weapons as would its size and weight. Also the Reek has a horn on its belly that it could use by lying on an opponent. Kinda like a wrestling belly flop move (I forget the name of that move)

The Acklay is a carnivore as it has serated teeth and claws to tear and the same could be said of the Nexu. The Nexu is close to a cat and the Acklay is close to a crab or lobster all are carnivores of a sort.

But the Reek most definately isn't designed as a carnivore.

Lord Tenebrous
04-04-2002, 06:00 PM
I don't believe any of the Reeks eat anybody or anything in the Arena, but they do have a rather jagged ridge. It's reminicent of a scene that didn't make it into Gladiator, where a rhinocerous was featured in the Colosseum.

However, unlike Rome, there is little vegetation on Geonosis, which does seem to confirm that the Reek's principal diet has to consist of meat.

One thing's for sure, it's stout and it's really ****ed off.

Jargo
04-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Little surface vegetation. But is the Reek indiginous to Geonosis? I think the colouration is decieving. I have a hunch that all the exotic lifeforms are imported much like the Rancor of ROTJ. The Rancor was not indiginous to Tatooine but he appeared there as a caged animal much like these arena creatures are. Who's to say that Jabba didn't have his own arena set up with gladiatorial games?

It's more likely the poor old Reek was picked up from some verdant planet and transported to Geonosis by the Geonosians allies. maybe as a gift. Maybe they have dial a beast in the star wars galaxy. You call them up and they deliver a beast right to your planet. Two million credit callout charge if you live in another neighbourhood.....

it's also possible that the vegetation on Geonosis is underground or just below the surface. That's how they got round it on Tatooine by saying the Ronto grazed the lichen just under the sandy surface. So why couldn't the same work for the Reek? There's alot of steam on Geonosis so there's gotta be water somewhere. if there's water there's vegetation. Ergo food for the Reek :) I'm being a smartypants now aren't I? :evil:

Darth Ovori
04-04-2002, 07:32 PM
Lord Tenebrous, do you have the site with all the story board pics... ??? If you do, can you please post the link...

Darth Shinji
04-05-2002, 02:53 AM
The reek would have to be at least a threat, I believe, because it is my opinion (and I have not seen it posted anywhere else) that the reeks head would later become the inspiration for the insignia on Boba Fett's left shoulder pad.
Just my opinion, but perhaps the reek is killed and the lasting image from the day his "father" was killed was the reeks head, with blood running out of the mouth.
I dunno, but it sounds more plausable to me than the wampa/taun-taun skull theories.

Bosskman
04-09-2002, 11:13 AM
There was a small writeup on the reek in some magazine and it said that it lived on the Codian Moon. I guess this confirms that's it's not native to Geonosis. I never said anything about what it ate, only that it was a real "crowd pleaser" in the arena. On an unrelated note, I just saw a comic book picture on Anakin's mechanical hand.

Co Jo-Da
04-09-2002, 10:30 PM
The Reek is awesome looking, I hope to see the Reek do more than run around spitting and snarling...

Lord Tenebrous
04-10-2002, 05:32 PM
From the VD:

Reek live on the Codian Moon, where small herds are highly territorial over their patches of wood-moss turf. Unfortunately for the herbivorous reek, it was discovered that the beast can be starved into carnivorism to provide excellent entertainment in the arena. Fed on meat alone, the reek will die, but arena specimens are given just enough plant food to keep them hungry and strong.

JonoFett
04-11-2002, 02:43 PM
I don't believe any of the 3 creatures are native to Geonosis. Lucas appears to have done a very good and exciting Star Wars rendition of the movie, Gladiator, and taken a few words of advice, perhaps, from historians about Roman culture. My only regret is, unlike the Romans, that too few beasts will appear in the arena, though it will still remain a pleasing spectacle.

JonoFett
04-11-2002, 02:53 PM
The posts to which prisoners are tied serves as a focal point for the Reek to charge at. Maybe its visual acuity not a great the others. Do we know the order in which the beasts are to be released into the arena? If the Reek is the opening crowd pleaser, then it is likely his tendency is to charge at its prey, whereas the other 2 would appear to have the anatomical weaponry of dismemberment of their victims. Perhaps the Reek is afforded the luxury of eating the slain corpses. Being of large body mass, tiredness and fatique would prove unwelcome factors if it is required to chase its prey, hence the inclusion of companions, the Acklay and Nexu, which would appear to be more agile, sleek and able to dispatch their prey quickly.

Jargo
04-11-2002, 03:41 PM
They're all let into the arena at the same time by the Geonosian picador riders (picadors are like alligators but more docile and with long legs.) the picador riders have electro poles which they use to jab the creatures into the arena where they just head hungrily toward the 'food' left at the 'feeding' posts. the Acklay and Reek get stuck right charging at the prisoners and the Nexu prowls around a bit sizing up the situation before pounding toward padme.

Lord Tenebrous
04-11-2002, 04:43 PM
The Picadors are the riders. The beast itself is called an Orray.

The concept is a hybrid of bullfighting and gladiatorial fighters, in that they have to semi-control the actions of the beasts to provide entertainment, and often engage the prisoners as well.

They should have made the Arena playset much, much larger. :rolleyes:

Jargo
04-11-2002, 08:30 PM
A small oversight on my part in calling the beast the picador. I meant to call it a Picador mount but my brain was racing and editing out unneeded stuff.

Back to the Reek, the VD write up quantifies my excellent guesstimate earlier on in this thread about the Reek. All but the starving of the Reek to make him hungry enough to eat meat is in my post. I feel very smug about that I can tell you. :)

Am i alone in thinking that the Orray is a very stupid looking beast and that it appears to be based on the same dinosaur as the Massif? They's just different sizes and the massif has spikes added but they appear to be derived from the same wireframe model. That said, i hope we get a beast with figure toy of it. The more beasts there are for me to play with and have mangling stupid jedi the better :D