PDA

View Full Version : Walmart - No SW Toys Theory

xboywonder
04-04-2002, 02:46 PM
I was just at my local Supercenter and found the Tie Bomber and Snow Speeder... They had about 7 of each.

As I picked the one I wanted I noticed a toy dept. worker calling another toy dept. worker... they both walked over and started looking at the Toys and said to each other that these are not supposed to be out.

I tried to explain to them that these are not Ep. 2 toys and that they are Okay... They said that they had all the Ep2 stuff in the back and are not able to put out anything SW.

I purchased my Tie Bomber but, as I was leaving I noticed them pulling the rest from the shelf. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

My theory is that maybe some Walmart employees are so dumb that they are holding everything back until the 23rd regardless of whether it is Ep2 or not.

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Its a good theory. That would explain why I haven't seen the TIE Bomber, Snowspeeder, or Bo Shek wave at Wal-Mart around me yet. But only the AOTC cases have the red-stamped release date thing.

icatch9
04-04-2002, 03:34 PM
I don't know why, but I always feel bad insulting Wal-Mart employees. I don't know anyone who works there, and I never have worked there. I guess I'm just a nice guy, but wow they are dumb. Some are so dumb that they can't read that the boxes say do not put out until April 23rd. Others are so dumb that they won't put out anything. I just wounder where WM gets thier pool or employee. Is there a idiot agency where these people go to find a job?

2-1B
04-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting . . . I'm curious to see what happens 4/23. I bet those ships will be more popular than much of the AOTC merch - it would be funny since most people will be there for AOTC to begin with :)

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 04:45 PM
April 24th;

TIE Bomber... Slave 1.... TIE Bomber... Slave 1... No figure..... Exclusive pack-in TIE Pilot with articulated legs... price... same price...

Another Slave 1, left on the shelf. :p

Maybe the cases on the TIE Bomber & Snowspeeder are marked for April 23rd? It would mean more new product for them to have out on that day with Episode 2 stuff, plus they're both $30 each so that means even more money.

Jedi Drew
04-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Well, I was at a Wal-Mart in Cleveland a few hours ago and asked the "Toy Lady" if the had any Snowspeeders or TIE Bombers. She gave me a really goofy look. I explained that they were WM exclusives. "Well, I haven't seen any yet in the backroom. Maybe check back on the 23rd:crazed: " So I said " I KNOW you have them in the back, don't you?? Along with the new AOTC figures." She just smiled back and said "Try back on the 23rd. Thanks." Oh well, this Wal-Mart is sticking to the 23rd release date.....even with the Snowspeeder and Tie.:confused: :confused: HH. No, I wasn't nasty to her I was just asking.

El Chuxter
04-04-2002, 05:02 PM
It's like that at some Wal-Marts because (and this is just me hypothesizing here) Average Joe Schmoe the Wally-World Employee might not know the difference between Luke and Anakin Skywalker (or even Luke and Jean-Luc Picard, for that matter). Not wanting problems, the management of certain stores may think it's safer to hold everything until all product can be put on shelves.

We're talking about a chain that has already leaked out the AOTC figures in several stores, and regularly puts books and CD's out before the release date. Given that there can be serious legal repercussions, I suppose it makes sense for some of the more hard-nosed managers to institute such a rule in their stores.

Dryanta
04-04-2002, 05:55 PM
I started a thread about this awhile back.
I think walmart may have actually marked the boxes for the 23rd.
They will sell alot more of them if they're put out with the aotc stuff.
Well,maybe not marked them but You all know what I mean.Corporate policy or something like that.
I don't know.It could very well be confusion on the emplyees part.Not knowing the difference between the toys.I don't know really,I do know this,No walmarts I've been to have any thing but preview figures and Jedi starfighters.

InsaneJediGirl
04-04-2002, 07:48 PM
I havent seen any TIEs or Snowspeeders.Either Hasbro "accidently" stamped the boxes with the 23rd release date or WM employees dont want a legal problem on their hands.

Lord Tenebrous
04-04-2002, 08:48 PM
I'm thinking that this has to do with the planograms seen earlier. It's 442 KB, so I won't post it, but it pretty much had everything that is to be out on the 23rd (not individual, just a representation). If Walmart is doing a large display, they want a lot there, and if they sell Snowspeeders and Bombers early, they'll have large holes in the display, those holes will be filled with something else, and the display will be further along to looking disorderly when they get new items (like more speeders and ties).

The recent AOTC sales will hurt this a little, but the pegs will still be full.

Turbowars
04-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
I don't know why, but I always feel bad insulting Wal-Mart employees. I don't know anyone who works there, and I never have worked there. I guess I'm just a nice guy, but wow they are dumb. Some are so dumb that they can't read that the boxes say do not put out until April 23rd. Others are so dumb that they won't put out anything. I just wounder where WM gets thier pool or employee. Is there a idiot agency where these people go to find a job? Hey, that's not nice. The guy that stands at the door all day and says "hello" and "Good bye" is a very nice guy, I just hope he doesn't have anything to do with the toy department;0 LOL

jedi master sal
04-05-2002, 09:49 AM
The "theory" of Wal*Mart is dead on accurate. I ask the toy dept mgr. about this very thing last night and she said that they were indeed waiting to put ANY new SW stuff out siteing a bigger display. I said that they are hurting their business because other stores are putting the product out and people will still be clamoring for AOTC figs so at the very least they should put out all things NOT AOTC. This does NOT violate the April 23rd release date and will give the opportunity for people to buy more. I already expect to spend $300 on the 23rd but to have to wait for stuff that should already be out..... I could have been buying this stuff for the past month and fear that I won't be able to get everything I want on the 23rd because now I'm going to have to cough up more money on one specific date to get everything as opposed to stretching it out. She said only that she was following "instructions" and that is all she can do. Isorely wanted to mention this to the STORE manager but if felt that I wouldn't get any sympathy there either. I'm sure they talk about us behind our backs. "Look at those grown men (I'm generalizing her so don't beat me up) buying all those toys". If they would only realize that these grwon ups also buy other merchandise such as toilet paper, clothes, groceries (supercenters only), vcr tapes, video games, and many other things that pay their wages maybe they would do more to be helpful instead of plaiyng dumb. okay enough of my ranting.

Dar' Argol
04-05-2002, 06:43 PM
I saw on the front page something about the Tie and Snowspeeder being held till 4/23. Something about a memo sent down from Home Office. I personally haven't heard anything about this. I do know that there has been a "stoppage of sales" on all AOTC merchandise. This was sent down from our HO and basically they took all AOTC stuff out of our system. They will not scan now until 4/23 @ midnight. The reason was b/c all the idiots at other WM putting the stuff out. The problem with this is that once a store is warned, Lucas Liciecing(sp) can refuse to sent futher produce to just that store. They would receive no more SW stuff. I for one do not want this happening to my WM.

derek
04-08-2002, 06:39 PM
i just got back from wal mart, and found the snow speeder, tie bomber and all the pre view figures. i had been putting off getting the preview figs, but since i was going to get the snow speeder, why not drop an extra $24 while i'm there? well, the dang jango and the astro droid rang up as restricted, while zam and the clone pooper rang right up. i tried to explain the deal to the lady, but she wasn't hearing any of it.:)

Dar Argol, what's up with this. why would some of the pre view figs ring up but not others?

Dar' Argol
04-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by derek
i just got back from wal mart, and found the snow speeder, tie bomber and all the pre view figures. i had been putting off getting the preview figs, but since i was going to get the snow speeder, why not drop an extra $24 while i'm there? well, the dang jango and the astro droid rang up as restricted, while zam and the clone pooper rang right up. i tried to explain the deal to the lady, but she wasn't hearing any of it.:)

Dar Argol, what's up with this. why would some of the pre view figs ring up but not others?

It could have been an error on the part of whoever entered the figs under "No Sales Allowed". It was done at our Home Office and sent down to all of the stores nation wide. Think about this, you are sitting at a computer and entering UPC after UPC for anything that says E2 SW. You've seen the name "Jango Fett" b/4 and you see it again in a preview fig. I, if I did not know SW, might make the same mistake. You should have CALMLY asked for a manager and showed them the similarities between Zam and Jango, pointing out the fact that they say "Sneak Peek". I bought my Jango on Mon 4/1 around the begining of this whole thing and I did not have a problem. I'm sorry you did derek :(

derek
04-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Dar' Argol,

i was calm and rather polite.:). i know the lady was just doing her job and following store policy. a manager(one of the red vested folk) came over and i did explain the whole situation to them both. it's no big deal, i just thought it odd. thanks for the reply. and on a side note, what's the orgin of your screen name?:)

Dar' Argol
04-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by derek
Dar' Argol,

i was calm and rather polite.:). i know the lady was just doing her job and following store policy. a manager(one of the red vested folk) came over and i did explain the whole situation to them both. it's no big deal, i just thought it odd. thanks for the reply. and on a side note, what's the orgin of your screen name?:)

Just a bit of 411, the "red vested folk" was not a manager. They are the CSM's or Customer Service Managers. The manager I was referring to was either an Assistant Manager, Co-Manager, or Store Manager. Its says that right below thier name tag on a yellow piece of plastic.

As for the origins of my name, check the link, its too much to type again and a waste of post space.
Dar' Argol's Origin (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=52231#post52231)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-08-2002, 10:31 PM
I'm throwing this question out there for the general audience, but specifically for Dar Argol.

I've noticed that my local WM (Orem, UT) seems to have not received the FX-7, Zutton, or BoShek waves. Whether they were put out and bought in two seconds, sold out the back by employees to scalpers, or accidentally thrown into the cardboard box baler, I have no absolute idea. Is it likely that these POTJ waves will be stocked on 4/23, or is WM only putting out AOTC stuff plus the two exclusives?

Has anyone heard of their WM doing this on 4/23 for POTJ stuff?

RooJay
04-09-2002, 04:37 AM
I payed a visit to my local WalMart last night to see what I could find, and saw some interesting goings on: I saw a case from Hasbro labeled "Jedi Unleashed" sitting on one of the pallets that always seems to be blocking the aisles at every WalMart. Seemed rather intriguing, but there were lots of employees walking about and didn't feel like risking opening it. One of the employees was working on stocking some of the merchandise when he came across an old case of Ep. 1 electronic banks. He seemed to be asking one of the other guys if it was o.k. to put out, it being Star Wars merchandise and all; though, honestly it was hard to tell since he was speaking some other language. I also came across the Playskool Naboo Fighter and X-Wing sets in the pre-school aisle. I went to check the price at the scanner and all I got was "please see sales associate for assistance". I decided I'd rather not risk the hassle, and could wait to pick them up later. With this in mind it seems like my WalMart, at least, has all Star Wars items flagged in the computer in effort to prevent street date violations!

Dar' Argol
04-09-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I'm throwing this question out there for the general audience, but specifically for Dar Argol.

I've noticed that my local WM (Orem, UT) seems to have not received the FX-7, Zutton, or BoShek waves. Whether they were put out and bought in two seconds, sold out the back by employees to scalpers, or accidentally thrown into the cardboard box baler, I have no absolute idea. Is it likely that these POTJ waves will be stocked on 4/23, or is WM only putting out AOTC stuff plus the two exclusives?

Has anyone heard of their WM doing this on 4/23 for POTJ stuff?

The only thing I have heard about holding regular SW till 4/23 was about the TIE fighter and the crashed snowspeeder. I also cannot speak for every store in the company but we at my store(location withheld) have not received the BoShek wave in yet. It sucks cause I want the Eeth Koth to complete my ever growing Jedi Army. But if the Toy Dept Mgr in your store knows anything about SW they would have put them out if they had them. Of course I have only run into 1 Toy Dept Mgr that knew SW so . . . . .

Originally posted by RooJay
I saw a case from Hasbro labeled "Jedi Unleashed" sitting on one of the pallets that always seems to be blocking the aisles at every WalMart. Seemed rather intriguing, but there were lots of employees walking about and didn't feel like risking opening it.

The "Jedi Unleased" is a board game. We got some in last week. From what I read it is a game where you can have Jedi vs Sith battles of anykind. It looks to be card based but I am not sure. You could have Luke go against Darth Maul, or Mace against Vader. There is also a Star Wars Stratego comming out, most likely another SW Monopoly, and along with that shipment we got in the 100pcs puzzles and the 150pcs puzzles. So RooJay, it was not some unknown figs in that case, just a game:)

RooJay
04-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanks Dar'Argol. I didn't think they were figures, just that the unopened case of new stuff was intriguing. This reminds me though, that same WalMart had ALL of the new Star Wars board games, and even had some of them stocked out on the shelves.

Lord Tenebrous
04-09-2002, 05:45 PM
From what I've seen, Walmart didn't order the FX-7 wave, just quantities of the Eeth Koth wave, to cover all six figures in one case. Zutton is mercilessly pegwarming around here.

BoShek came in one case each to three Walmarts around here, two sold out within the week, and one had two wet/rained-on BoShek and one Teebo for $5.

I asked a stock lady, and she said there's not really a rush to clearance the POTJ basic carded, but she said that since there are so many 25th Anniversary sets stacked up and sitting, they'll probably be put 1/2 price by the middle of summer, but the final plans aren't confirmed. I guess it's local clearance, based on current stock.

Nontheless, be patient, you might have to order the last waves online if your stores don't stock by June.

Freedom
04-09-2002, 07:40 PM
I had read on here earlier about the holding of the Tie and Speeder until the 23, so needless to say I was suprised when I saw them on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart. I quickly grabbed one of each and went to check out. The Speeder rang up no problem, but the Tie rang up"Do Not Sale". The cashier asked me if it was the same price as the speeder and I said, "yes." She was about to ring up the Speeder again, but decided to call a rep from toys. The toy rep said these items were not to be sold until the 23 like the stuff in back in the blue packages. She took the Tie back, but let me have the speeder since it rang up. She said she'd be fined if she sold me the Tie.

"Missed it by that much!"

Jedi Learner
04-09-2002, 10:30 PM
I just had the same thing happen to me! I found both the Snowspeeder and TIE Bomber on the shelves, and they would only let me have the speeder! The TIE rang up as "NO SALE ALLOWED" or something like that. The girl checked with the manager and she said that the TIE Bomber had been "recalled" and that she couldn't sell it to me for that reason. I didn't argue and I walked away with the Snowspeeder, feeling frustrated and in some way violated (the TIE was the one I REALLY wanted!)

I went to another Wal-Mart in town and they only had Snowspeeders on the shelf with a little "New Item" tag. No bombers.

Now, I think everyone can tell that this policy is wierd, to say the least. Why allow the snowspeeder to be sold early with no hassle and keep the TIE Bomber out of our hands until the 23rd? These are NOT preview vehicles, for crying out loud! They're both from the original trilogy and still in POTJ packaging! Why sell me one and not the other? Why can't I have my Bomber now??!!!

This is just unbelievable. I have never, ever, in all my years of collecting, had an item *literally* snatched away from my grasp because some over-eager stocker put it on the shelves "early." I feel like Indiana Jones when he says, "I had it . . . I had it IN MY HANDS!" Now, I guess I have to go back on the 23rd to get something that I feel I should have by all means been able to buy today. Wal-Mart and Hasbro, I am a paying consumer with money to spend, and, if you don't want to sell something to me, that's your own business, but I think I speak for everyone when I say these policies cross the line and take all the fun out of the collecting hobby.

Moral of the story? Don't put it out if you ain't gonna sell it!

Dar' Argol
04-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol

It could have been an error on the part of whoever entered the figs under "No Sales Allowed". It was done at our Home Office and sent down to all of the stores nation wide. Think about this, you are sitting at a computer and entering UPC after UPC for anything that says E2 SW. You've seen the name "Jango Fett" b/4 and you see it again in a preview fig. I, if I did not know SW, might make the same mistake.

This is happening a bit Jedi Learner. I really think they should have been a bit more careful when entering this into our system but mistakes happen. I know this is all frustrating but after 4/23 it will all go away and we will have all new problems:).

Jedi Learner
04-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Yeah, it's true, mistakes happen. Sorry to rant and rave, but it felt good to vent a little. I know it's not Wal-Mart's fault that they're under restrictions beyond their control in this situation, and it looks as though the policies Hasbro is enforcing on them are extremely confusing. Oh, well. I can wait until April 23rd. I'm happy that I was at least able to get a Snowspeeder early. :)

Dar' Argol
04-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Jedi Learner and everyone else! Read my post in the General area here:SW TIE Bomber!!! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=61499#post61499)

You can all thank me after you got them . . . jk:D

aikman
04-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Dont complain, you have had 2 stores that at least had the snowspeeder.

My closest walmarts have nothing at one and 'a couple' preview figs at the other.
It would be worse if it happened to me because ,
around here, if u dont grab it the first time u see it, its gone baby!