PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Inspiration for Yoda?

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 06:25 PM
I've debated this long and hard, and have discussed this with many of my friends (most of whom could care less about Star Wars) but I have to post this for fear of losing my mind. This is a somewhat long post, so either bear with me or get out while you still can (If I were you I'd pick the latter because, if you're like me, you'll walk away from this forum with nightmares) Here goes.......

Ever since my childhood I have had a recurring nightmare where I wake up in my old bedroom in my old house to the sound of a hideous moaning noise. I am compelled to investigate despite my dread and am drawn by the frightful sound down the back hall steps into my grandmother's kitchen. Upon opening the doo I see a man-sized Yoda, only evil looking, sitting on the table making that terrible noise - only louder. Then I wake up and turn on the lighths and am afraid for the rest of the night. (on an unrelated note, when,a few years ago, I first saw a picture of that banned trading card with the Yodas worshipping a big Yoda statue, I freaked)

The nightmare came back every now and then but I could never figure out how I could have been in such fear of Yoda. Then, last year, while watching re-runs of the old Spiderman cartoon on channel forty it came to me. There was one episode where there's this Egyptian Magician (no Jerky Boys jokes please, I'm serious) who came from another dimension that spiderman had to fight. HE LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE AN EVIL VERSION OF YODA!! I now remember seeing that episode when I was a kid and it is undoubtedly the source of my nightmares and fear of Yoda even though I must have repressed it over the years.

What, you ask, is the point to all this? ---- That cartoon was out at least in the 1970s so my theory is that Yoda is, in fact, a shrunken, muppetized, good version of the Egyptian Magician from the Spiderman Cartoon. PLease, I beg anyone who was able to read this post and tell me I'm not crazy!!!!!!

Dryanta
04-04-2002, 06:55 PM
you could very well be right .Everytime my kids watch the Jungle book disney cartoon I swear that's where Chewbacca's name came from.
King Louis "scat" song.When he's jumping rope with his own arms he's saying Chewbacca. Ape? chewbacca?I've always wondered if that was George Lucus' inspiration for the name.

LTBasker
04-04-2002, 07:27 PM
I thought he said something else like "Chuby-doo" but I haven't seen it in a LONG time so I don't remember it clearly. Hmm...all I know about what Yoda was based one is that his eyes are based on Albert Einstein's.

Dryanta
04-04-2002, 07:35 PM
It's funny but if you heard it now it would just about scream at you.He was saying "you who who" through the song but in one of the short "scat" sequences he's saying Chewbacca chewbacca chewbacca"Three times.Find one LT and you'll see what I mean.Serious.I also had heard of the Einstein eye thing.

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 08:12 PM
When I was a kid I had the Jungle Book Record and when me and my sister used to sing along to that song (shut up I was a kid alright) we used to say CHEWBACCA, CHEWBACCA, CHEWBACCA!!!!

I'm SURE that's what Louis was sayg! HE WAS!!

PS. Somebody PLEASE say you saw that Spiderman Episode too.

BTW To keep this thread where it is, I heard a rumor that in AOTC, there was going to be a fight between Dooku and Yoda, ... OH and Padme is now a senator, and so is Jar Jar, and Yarael Poof has been replaced by someone uglier........

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I never heard about Yoda and Einstein but I heard about ET and Einstein.

Dryanta
04-04-2002, 08:20 PM
AOTC :D
Anyway,I think your right Bosskman.It was ET I heard that about not Yoda.Thanks man I knew I wasn't nuts about that song.
I never saw the spiderman episode at least not that I can remember.So I guess you're still nuts :crazed: ;) :D

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 08:33 PM
If I remember correctly, that Yoda guy was on the episode called 'Evil Sorceror'. His name was Hotep or something.

And the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit game has a question about Yoda's eyes and the answer is Einstein. proof enough?

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 09:25 PM
I can't believe it! The song went like this:

Spiderman, spiderman
Does whatever a spider can
spins a web, any size
catches thieves, just like flies

Look out,
Here comes the Spiderman

dun
dun
dun

...and so on.......

I remember J Jonah Jameson was always blaming all the bad stuff on Spiderman, and once he made a robot to kill Spiderman. There were all sorts of vilains like Mysterio, the Rhino, a big black blob that ate NYC, and the good ol' Green Goblin. The cops were really stereotypically shanty Irish (I can say that, I'm Irish........mostly)I think we got it on an American channel so it couldn't have been just a Canadian thing. The animation was pretty bad, some episodes were better than others. (not as bad as the hulk though)

The episode with the Yoda guy was a half hour long I think (as opposed to the 10 or 15 minute ones). In it, he was trying to ressurect a bunch of demons or something and Spiderman had to break his scepter to stop him. At some point in the show he became gigantic. THE GUY IS A BIGGER EVIL VERSION OF YODA!!! (or rather Yoda is a smaller, more benign version of him) The shape of his head and ears alone prove that he has got to be the inspiration for Yoda. I'm not crazy!

I AM NOT CRAZY!!

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm going to search the net for a pic of this guy, or a link or something............

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Alright, here's what I got so far:

The Spiderman cartoon was, in fact, a Canadian made cartoon that originally aired between 1967 and 1970. I think it was on american channels too but I could be wrong. The evil-Yoda guy was in an episode from the last season called "Phantom from the depths of time".

Other villains included the Condor and Doctor Octopus.

Bosskman
04-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Here's some more reliable Info:

The Cartoon was first made in Toronto but the last season was made in NYC

The Yoda guy's name was Kotep and he was featured in the Episode called "The Evil Sorceror".

The show also used clips from Rocket Robin Hood which also explains a lot of my nightmares.

If I find a picture of this guy you'll all be schocked and afraid. If I find a sound clip it will be worse. EVIL YODA

Dryanta
04-04-2002, 10:19 PM
OK your not nuts.My wife grew up in New Jersey and can remember the show,not the episode in question.Find a pic!!
And Anikin and Obi wan are in AOTC:D

Darth Shinji
04-05-2002, 01:45 AM
I remember the Spider-Man show but only vaguely.
the only part of the whole series I clearly remember was a scene where Spidey was removing
two very large jewels from a huge statues eyes.
The evil Yoda thing does ring a bell though...

LTBasker
04-05-2002, 03:04 AM
Just for the record, in the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, there a question "Who's eyes were Yoda's based on?" and the answer is Einstein. I'm pretty sure that confirms it to be true. :)

Bosskman
04-05-2002, 08:20 AM
I've searched and searched but I can't find a picture of Kotep. Here's a detailed physical description instead:

Imagine Yoda as a cartoon. Make him as tall as a man. Give him yellowish green skin and yellow eyes. Cover his bald head with warts and make it fatter with no neck. That's him. Just the thought fills me with horror. Stick in the creepy spiderman music and there you have it.

Croaker
04-05-2002, 10:26 AM
I can back you up on the Cartoon, Bosskan.
I remeber it well.
I do not, unfortunately remember that particular episode.
The show was done by Ralph Bakshi, animation guru, creator of Fritz the Cat, the Lord of the Rings animated movie from the late seveties and Cool World (among lots of other things)

I did notice the connection to Rocket Robin Hood when I was a kid. Spiderman's jet thing was the same one from RRH.

You've got to love those trippy watercolour backgrounds though!

Spins a web any size
Catches thieves just like flies!

mabudonicus
04-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Sure, I've got severasl tapes of the old episodes, and they're running every night on Teletoon( they were up until recently, anyways) I remember that episode and I concur, bosskman.
Ralph Bakshi's visual stylings were heavily influenced, influential, and , for the most part, cooked up under the influence. It wouldn't surprise me if, even subconsciously, Lucas had that image in mind on some level while dreaming up yoda.
The book "splinter of the mind's eye" also has some aliens in it that sond vaguely yoda like by description, could be a sort of "inspired composite"
That's my theory. Bosskman, you're memory is fine. I won't say you're not nuts or anything (BOSSK?!?)
On a related note, could the name "amanaman" have been born from Amana appliances? Like "the maytag man"- the "Amana man"? that just crossed my mind a couple days ago, and it makes sense. Whaddya think (don't try and tell me GL thought it up in the 50's, either :{) WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

corporal AMF
04-06-2002, 12:33 PM
I believe the name chewbacca came from two words: tobacco and chew....I had an 81's spanish book which translate the name as 'masca tabaco', so that means tobacco chewer.:Pirate:

Magnolia-Fan
04-06-2002, 01:38 PM
Per haps.

However King Louie DOES say chewbacca...from a certain point of view...

Listen below:

Dryanta
04-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks for that!
See what I mean,once you know it's there and you listen for it,it just screams it!!Does to me anyway:)

Magnolia-Fan
04-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Okay everybody...

Go here in exactly two weeks:

http://www.geocities.com/classicspiderman/spider1.html

This guy posts an episode of Spider-Man on his website each week in Realplayer (yuck) format.

I'm pretty sure he is showing the episodes in order, as yesterday the episode was "Spiderman battles the Molemen" (episode 46), and today it's "Rhino" (episode 47).

Therefore, in exactly two weeks, we should all be able to see Episode 49, "The Evil Sorcerer", AKA "The Evil Yoda".

B

Taichi
04-11-2002, 05:25 PM
Keep me updated, and post a screen cap!

jawaboy
04-11-2002, 08:01 PM
"The Evil Sorcerer"
In ancient Egypt, one of the most aggressive of evil magicians, Kotep, the Scarlet Sorcerer, is defeated in battle with an opponent, and his own demons strike him with a cursing ball of fire that puts him in suspended animation, his mummified remains lasting through the passing centuries and becoming an exhibit at a New York university and the object of a professor's obsession. The professor believes that he has found the incantations to revive Kotep and fanatically uses them. Kotep is returned to life, commands one of his resurrected demons to attack and seriously injure the professor, and threatens some of the professor's students, one of whom is Peter's girlfriend, Susan. Peter becomes Spiderman and engages in an indecisive battle with Kotep before the scarlet-clad sorcerer vanishes, with his demon, into another dimension to build an empire of black magic. Recovering in hospital, the professor repents and tells to a group of visiting students that Kotep's scepter is the source of Kotep's magical power. Kotep has materialized a huge spider web in New York City to entice Spidey into investigating and becoming caught in the web, to be transported to Kotep's realm. While Spidey
is struggling in the web, he hears Susan urging him to grab Kotep's scepter. After Spidey is transferred into Kotep's midst and ensnared there in an identical huge spider web, he webs the scepter and pulls it out of Kotep's hand. Spidey becomes dazed and drops the scepter, which shatters when it hits ground, and the sorcerer is unable to exist any longer in any present dimension and vanishes into the depths of time. Spidey is returned to New York, where the giant spider web vanishes.

RooJay
04-11-2002, 08:38 PM
I too once had a nightmare about Yoda. When I was much younger I once dreamed that I was in a foggy, creepy looking cemetary, and I remember a very eerie feeling as a walked along a path up to an old crypt. There was no sound, and lots of creepy looking scenery like headstones and gnarled trees and such. As I approached the crypt I saw a shaft of light shining down through the fog onto a headstone right in front of the crypt entrance. Sitting on top of the headstone right under the shaft of light was a silent, faceless Yoda! He didn't move, except for his head following me as I moved around him, and while I don't remember feeling threatened by him I do remember feeling really creeped out. When I woke I kept my head under the covers, and my eyes closed until the sun came up.:eek:

Bosskman
04-14-2002, 08:52 PM
I just saw the Spiderman Episode with Kotep about 15 minutes ago on Teletoon. I'll have nightmares tonite!

Magnolia-Fan
04-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Today's the day.

Go here: http://www.geocities.com/classicspiderman/spider1.html to see the Kotep episode in Real player format.

OR

Look at the attachment:

Bosskman
04-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Thar horrible bloated head makes fills me with sheer terror!

scruffziller
08-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Now only if that guy had bigger ears, he would really look like Yoda. I used to have dreams like that all the time about movie charachters.