PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the Collector's Fleet

JediCole
08-30-2001, 09:58 AM
For those of you unfamiliar with the Collector's Fleet, this was a series of (sadly) only three Star Wars capital ships in a scale even larger than the Action Fleet from Galoob. It was more along the lines of Playmates' Star Trek ships, large, electronic, with lights, sounds, and a base. Hasbro attempted the same but as has always been their bane, the electronics were substandard. While Playmates' ships produced television accurate sound effects when their buttons were depressed, Hasbro's left you wanting. The raspy sounds that passed for authentic on the Star Wars Collector's Fleet were sadly typical of Hasbro when it comes to electronics, yet the sculpts were incredible. I have all three (Star Destroyer, Rebel Blocade Runner (Tantive IV), and Super Star Destroyer (Executor). The real appeal is that they are great display pieces. And you can set the switch on them for no lights or sound, lights and sound, or just lights when the buttons are pressed. And when the rear engines light up (especially on the multitude of engines on the Tantive IV) these guys look great.
In a way, the Collector's Fleet was a little ahead of its time as the collector market was not as strong as it is today, and it lost a lot of appeal due to the poor sound effects. But with better sounds the existing fleet could be rereleased to great success (considering the Super Star Destroyer was almost impossible to find). A Death Star was supposedly going to be the next addition, but the line died an early death and we got no more. Who is with me on a rerelease and EXPANSION of this line? I'd love a Collector's Fleet Republic Cruiser, Trade Federation Battle Ship, Rebel Frigate, Rebel Cruiser, Mon Calimari Flagship, Death Star, and Millenium Falcon!

good shot jansen
08-30-2001, 11:27 AM
but sadly never produced :mad:

the collectors fleet is great, especially when combined with certain micro machines, as the scale is perfect for recreating moments from the movie.

the extra small falcon which came with the se theater give away, fits perfectly on the back of the bridge of the cf star destroyer ala esb.

the mm tantive IV is the perfect size for recreating the opening sequence of anh with the cf star destroyer again.

the mm star destroyer is just about the right scale in comparison with the cf super star destroyer

and the af millenium falcon is a great companion to the cf tantive IV

El Chuxter
08-30-2001, 11:28 AM
I'd love to see more of these. Can't recall ever seeing either Star Destroyer, but I've seen the Tantive IV a billion times.

JediCole
08-30-2001, 12:28 PM
The Rebel Blocade Runner was the least popular of the three by far, though my personal favorite. The Blocade Runner and Star Destroyer started the line and were released in roughly equal quantities. The Super Star Destroyer was a late release and I personally never saw it in the stores. Bubba Fatt had found two of them years ago at a KB already marked down and later sold them to me (or I would still only have the two charter ships myself).
I'm glad to see some support for their return. I know it is wishful thinking, but it seems Hasbro is listening to the collector. A reworking of the sound (ala the Star Trek line or the Simpsons - we know it is possible to get good sound) is really all this needs to be a success.

good shot jansen
08-30-2001, 12:42 PM
is excellent. better than almost anything else out there. when the emperor say's i feel a great disturbance in the force, its' crisp and clean with the right amount of bass modulation. unfortunately the same can't be said fer the star destroyer and the tantive IV.

JediCole
08-30-2001, 03:32 PM
Good point, Good Shot! I had forgotten that by the time they got to the Super Star Destroyer the sounds were better. Not to impugne the good work done on that one. Though for me, the downside on that one was the inexlicable translucent blue top. Why they didn't go with a uniform, opaque grey is beyond me.

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 10:33 AM
The SSD really is a very nice piece. Cole, I think that Hasbro used the translucent, soft blue plastic because they were going cheap and using materials they already had around since they knew the line was dead. I can't tell which is worse, the blue center area or the small spritz of gray spraypaint in the center. ;)

I found mine at KB for full price, but I also saw a bunch of them at FAO Schwarz. By the time I realized that other folks would want these, FAO had sent them back to the warehouse... a week before I went to buy as many as I could! (I don't scalp, just in case anybody thought that was my intention, I sell stuff at cost when I sell stuff, which is very rare).

JediCole
08-31-2001, 11:06 AM
My impresion of the translucent top was, at first, that perhaps the intention had been to place intermittent lights underneath to simulate "battle damage", perhaps timed to flash on and off at intervals correspnding with sound effects. Playmates had done something like that under the break-away hull sections of thier awful looking Enterprise-D produced for (I believe) the movie Generations. That probably proved too expensive to meet the price point but the molding had already been done, so a jet of paint was used to (poorly) disguise the translucent hull. Just speculation.
Regardless, I'd love to see the line return, and with the projected Mon Calimari Cruiser and Death Star!

Sean the Hutt
09-01-2001, 02:05 AM
I saw the super star destroyer at a kb's and thought I would see many more. I did not. sadly, I do not have the big daddy star destroyer. I agree though, the sculpting was good.

Chewbacca1966
09-02-2001, 02:15 AM
I have mixed feelings about bringing back the collector fleet.

I picked up all 3 of the original ships (and as others have said, the only place I ever heard of anyone finding the super star destroyer was at the KB's -- which is where I found mine for the original store price -- no markdowns).

I remember seeing a list of the ships scheduled for release in this format a very long time ago, and there were four ships in that list -- the only one not done was the Mon Calamari cruiser. I never heard of any reference to a Death Star being done. Anyways, I would love to see the Mon Cal cruiser done on some scale larger than the micro fleet size. I feel that this ship has been denied it's proper place in the toy line long enough.

Aside from the Mon Cal cruiser, though, there really isn't any other vehicle that I would be that interested in seeing.

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2002, 08:23 AM
The Rebel Blockade Runner always seemed disproportionate to me for some reason. It's been a few years since I saw one, but I decided against buying it because it was different from the film version. Like it was too skinny or the engines were too big. Whatever the reason, it prevented me from buying the RBR and so when the other two came out I was less interested in buying those.

I think a Nebulon-B frigate would be a nice addition to the line. I always liked it's non-conformist style compared to every other ship in the Star Wars galaxy. Especially all the boxy, boring transport ships flying by in the background on Coruscant or the freighter Padme and Anakin use to get to Naboo. Boring.

To recap: Collector's Fleet: Feh. (especially the RBR)
Nebulon-B Frigate. :cool: Cool.
New AOTC ships: Boring.

dr_evazan22
06-11-2002, 08:44 AM
My fav is the Blockade Runner and I have it hanging from my ceiling. One of it's good points is that it looks the same/similar from the bottom as the top.

While the SSD is good, the regular SD is a beauty!

I'd definitely love to get more ships in the Collector's Series.

bigbarada
06-11-2002, 09:31 AM
I saw these when they first came out, but passed on them because of inaccuracies to the movie models and lack of detail. If they were redone completely with more accurate sculpts and much more detail I would be happy to get them.

Maybe if they got a Japanese toy company to manufacter them. Like the company that makes the Perfect Grade Gundam models. For some reason Japanese models and toys are always about a million times more accurate and detailed when compared to their American counterparts. Compare a Marmit Stormtrooper to Hasbro's 12" Stormtrooper for a crystal clear example of what I am talking about.