PDA

View Full Version : Cloning, good or bad?

Pendo
04-05-2002, 09:16 AM
I have no idea what's gone wrong there...Do I really have to type it all out again?

Just use the title, I'm sure you know what it's about.

PENDO!

Pendo
04-05-2002, 09:16 AM
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE FORUMS...I think it's just me...and now I look like an idiot...

PENDO!

Pendo
04-05-2002, 09:19 AM
This thread should have said:

Do you agree with cloning and genetical engineering?

But my computer has screwed everything up...

So, do you agree with cloning and ginetical engeneering?

PENDO!

Fulit
04-05-2002, 09:21 AM
Kind of like a lot if issues, theres no black and white when it comes to cloning, it's all sort of a gray area to me. One one hand, it would be cool if they could clone people for stuff like organ or limb replacement, but then how would it feel to be born just as a walking spare parts shop. So then you say, well, why not clone just the organs themselves, then people will say you're playing God. I think it's like the abortion issue, there will never be a final answer that satisfies everyone.

QLD
04-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Well, to quote Dolly, "Baaaaaaaaaad."

Dryanta
04-05-2002, 01:49 PM
i personally don't agree with it at all.
Somethings should not be messed with IMO.
I think there is alot we are not told about it.
We do know about how much of a mess they make out of some animals they've tried it with.
I find some scientists just so overly impressed with their own unimportance that they go way overboard sometimes.
Just because you can do something mean you should. :)

Fulit
04-05-2002, 01:57 PM
What if we could clone just certain organs or parts to help kids or anyone else see, or hear, or even live? Would that be immoral? It seems to me if we had that technology and didn't use it, that would be immoral.

Dryanta
04-05-2002, 02:04 PM
Well here is where I'm not sure about a great many things.If the Cells to be cloned are from your self or some other consenting adult then I agree with you 100%.I'm not sure if the whole Stem cell issue even comes into play here,if it does than My personal answer is no.:)

chewie
04-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Cloning is good and will come about no matter what some people will say about its ethics.

A fully cloned human should be treated just as a naturally made human. As it will share the same characteristics that a naturally born person would.

As for using clones for body parts. The easy workaround is to simply clone only the necessary portion of the body, and not the whole thing. There's no actual life in one organ/part, its the whole of a body which creates life.

I don't see any ethical issues other than the potential abuse of humans who would be artificially birthed. They could be deemed to be less of a human. But as long as proper steps are taken to prevent that, I see no problems.

LTBasker
04-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Well, the major question about cloning would be... Why? Alot of the reasons that could be said would go against alot of stuff we've out-lawed. Like if we made clones just for battles, and they had no decision in the matter, well that would be slavery right there. Either way, constitutional rights would be in danger for a reason to clone a real person because well, if they're cloned in America, they're American Human Beings right there, either way you want to look at it, they're being cloned from a human being (unless it's an animal, but animal rights would still apply there) and then they'd be cloned in America, they have rights just like everyone else.

Genectic engineering is quite different from just regular cloning though... to do so would mean taking the genectic evolution off of track.

Either way, there is no real reason to clone or genectically engineer a person.

Now if you want to clone an organ to save a life and you can do it with no complications and it would mean not needing some weird mechanical thing to be stuck in someone, then ok, one really good thing from cloning an organ from someone would be they would know it automatically matches.

Lobito
04-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Great discoveries in the wrong hands lead to tragedy. It would be great if the scientists apply their knowledge to help ppl, not to make humans immortals, but just to help them in some fisical aspects. Like a new hand, leg, etc. who knows?? This is one of those questions that make u go hmmmmmm.

chewie
04-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Cloning, genetic engineering, and the like still wouldn't make man immortal. Incurable disease, accidents, natural disasters, bulding fires, and murders could and would still take people out. It would merely make man sheilded from the effects of several causes of death, mainly natural. The only way to create immortality would be to remove all the physical frailty of the human form, which I'm assuming will never happen.

QLD
04-05-2002, 04:35 PM
HELLO????!!!!!!

PEOPLE!!!!!

ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!!!!!!!

CLONES......ATTACK!!!!!

ATTACK OF THE CLONES!!!!!!!!!!

ATTACK......

OF......

THE.......

CLONES!!!!!

It says it all.

What part of Attack of the CLONES do you not understand?

I mean, Lucas might be doing us all a favor.

Now if only someone had made a movie about those killer tomatoes before it was too late.....

DeadEye
04-05-2002, 05:16 PM
rotf!:D

bigbarada
04-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Like it or not, cloning technology is real and is growing by leaps and bounds. While there are still many obstacles to negotiate before we get to the point of creating viable, healthy clones from adult humans; it is only a matter of time before we are looking at a new addition to the human race - manufactured humans.

If the government legalizes and funds the research, then the government can control it. And hopefully help to avoid any one of countless nightmare scenarios (ranging from harmless, "how would the clones feel about being clones?" to science fiction, "an army of elite clone soldiers taking over our world"). Of course, the government could also unintentionally bring about those scenarios.

The idea of cloning has become a modern Pandora's Box. The idea is out there and it will not go away. If the world powers ban the research, then another nation outside of our influence will simply pick it up in time. Only that nation will be working alone, in secret and completely without guidelines or controls.

That sounds like a real nightmare scenario to me.

JediDan
04-05-2002, 05:29 PM
I'm all for it if I can have a Natalie Portman clone.:D :D