PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Qui Gon Jinn!

brentfett
04-05-2002, 12:48 PM
I'm sorry, but another Qui Gonn Jinn figure? I think this is absolutely pathetic. Feel free to rant here.

El Chuxter
04-05-2002, 12:52 PM
And, to quote a short Jedi Master, "Crap it looks like, yes!"

If ranking all the Qui-Gons, this would only be better than the Hangar pack-in, the Deluxe, and the Opee pack-in.

The Qui-Gon in Talon Karrde disguise is better, for cryin' out loud!

Wolfwood319
04-05-2002, 01:22 PM
The only thing this one has going for it is the fact in can hold the lightsaber with 2 hands. The face sculpt is horrendous though, and the general pose isn't that good. I would be interested in buying a Qui-Gon "action pose'' figure with cloak, but not this one. This one is just crappy beyond crap.

Fulit
04-05-2002, 01:25 PM
I could start a huge list of figures I'm tired of seeing rescuplted that we're probably going to see made this year or next. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Even if the rescuplt is better, I just kind of get mad about paying for one version of a figure, just to have them do it the way they should have done it in the first place 3 years later. Get it right, the first time, Hasblo, then you won't have to do rescuplts. Nevermind, that's not profitable and therefore illogical.

187-Maul
04-05-2002, 03:15 PM
I also hate this version of qui-gon
but the deluxe one looks pretty cool with the robe of the accessory pack on - it's the best qui figure to put in my hangar diorama in attacking pose

Battle Droid
04-05-2002, 03:41 PM
I wanting a Qui Gon being killed figure, same pose as in the film when Maul sticks him.

With a whole in his stomach, and the same expression on his face like in the film.

DarthMaulSithLord
04-06-2002, 07:49 AM
Which Qui-Gon is this? Have a pic?

:confused:

Rollo Tomassi
04-06-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
I wanting a Qui Gon being killed figure, same pose as in the film when Maul sticks him.
With a whole in his stomach, and the same expression on his face like in the film.

The Soft Goods Episode 1 figure was supposed to come with a burn mark on his chest for just that purpose, but they nixed it at the last minute.

Qui Gon Jinn resculpts? ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!
:cry: :crazed:

Bosskman
04-06-2002, 08:54 AM
No more Qui Gons, unless he's got a whole in his chest or he's on fire. This is terrible. The good thing in all this is since they're releasing him, and the battle droid with monr tweaks from that cancelled twopack, they might consider releasing single carded OOM-9 and underwaterobiwan from the cancelled trophy line. NO MORE QUI GONS THOUGH> I'm beginning to hate Qui Gon.

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't mind a Qui-Gon in robe, can hold his lightsaber with 2 hands in a somewhat action pose, and has a good face sculpt. There has yet to be a Qui-Gon with a decent face sculpt IMO. The only one that I can tolerate is the Mos Espa disguise. But this new one's sculpt is not very good at all.

bigbarada
04-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Ummmm....anybody got a picture?

I don't mind the idea of another Qui-Gonn, since he was a pretty cool character; but only if it is a significant improvement over the Ep1 Naboo version (the best one IMO, the POTJ Moisture Farmer version's head was too small).

However, there are other characters I would rather see resculpted from the first few waves of EP1 toys, before we get another Qui-Gonn. Namely Senator Palpatine and Amidala in her Red Senate Gown (with the black overcoat). I won't mention any of the Jedi since we'll get new versions of most of them for Ep2.

Anyways, it could be worse. We could be getting another Darth Maul.:rolleyes:

Jargo
04-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Okay okay! stop the shouting already! here's a picture of the piece of crud they call the saga Qui-Gon Jinn.....

And the blue saber doesn't mean anything it was just a dimwit at TOYFAIR who gave him the blue one. Obviously they forgot to pack his green one. But i guess they had to show him as being a new figure because look - he's got the new saber blade with flares so that must be good right? Right? :rolleyes:

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Here's a picture. Overall I like the body, but I hate the head sculpt. And the legs look too static as well.

EDIT: You beat me to it Jargo!

Lord Tenebrous
04-06-2002, 01:12 PM
He has big blob-like hands, and they never fixed that horrible robe/underrobe underlap. We're getting another Maul, too, and they're going to be pegwarming until 2004 and beyond.

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Well, the Qui-Gon is actually based on the canceled Episode 1 2-Pack that was to include a Qui-Gon in that pose and a Security Droid leaning back with a huge blast coming from his chest. I couldn't find a picture of the original painted prototype to compare to these pictures but trust me, you'd be disgusted if you saw how badly they re-did the Qui-Gon compared to the original prototype.

Jargo
04-06-2002, 03:38 PM
You mean this picture that I found at tradefederation.net? This prototype looks cool. The TOYFAIR version looks reject. Shiny and smooth just isn't going to sell when the AOTC stuff has all that fabric detail molded in. They'd be better off just cancelling this Qui-Gon outright and doing something more constructive like shoving out a Bail Organa figure early. There is absolutely no point to this figure being released at all. Other than trying to grab as much money for old rope as possible.

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 03:41 PM
That Qui-Gon in the prototype looks pretty damn decent to me. Why not just release that one? Hell, you could probably just release him with that battledroid too, and have him be a "deluxe" figure just like the new Mace.

Beast
04-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Hopefully the Qui-Gon we saw at Toy Fair was just a bad mock-up, and we will get one that looks more like the original 2-pack version. Of all of the figures coming this year, if he's released as is, he gets my award for worst figure of the year.

If they wanted to give us a new Qui-Gon, why not make him like the E1 Darth Sidious figure, so that we could use him in an arrival diorama with TC-14. :( I frankly wouldn't mind versions like that of him and E1 Obi-Wan.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 03:50 PM
Actually, JJ, that would be cool too. A "hood up" version of the pair.

I really just want a good sculpt of the duo where there in a somwhat action-pose, and can hold their lightsabers with 2 hands. The Qui-Gon from the prototype would be perfect, IMO. I'm trying to do a "Naboo Rescue" scene, but the Naboo versions of the duo are just to static, IMO.

Jargo
04-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Um guys, I've just been sitting here scrutinising the pictures and i think the figure is the same one. The painted hardcopy just looks better because care was taken to make it look decent and the cloak is pushed back to show his legs properly. The one shown at TOYFAIR is just made from inferior plastic and the molding from the hardcopy looks to have suffered. But the hands are the same and the cloak is the same, it has the same folds down the side and the same flared look. The head appears to be the same too but the paint job is just absolutely dreadful. It's got the same couldn't give a rats *** anymore feel about the application. The same as the jango fett kamino escape shown at TOYFAIR looks dreadful with the stubble. Qui-Gon's beard in the TOYFAIR version has a half painted look. I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't see any improvement in the produced version unless they use a matt finish in the plastics and do a better paint application.

it's still an ugly figure though IMO. And the hood up version would be so much more welcome. Something new-ish. Provided they didn't just do a chocobiwan job on it and smother the figure with a plastic coccoon.

GeneralKenobi
04-06-2002, 04:59 PM
No more Qui-Gons! Okay I feel better now.

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 05:03 PM
The head sculpt on the 2-pack prototype still looks different to me. Maybe its just the half painted look of the toy fair one though. I especially don't like the shiny cloak though. The 2-pack one seems to be in more of an action pose, though it might be because the cloak is moved around.

I still would like a new Qui-Gon though. The hood up idea is pretty good, but I fear we'd just get another choco-Obi and Qui-Gon with the same shell.

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 05:24 PM
The original prototype head is more accurate to Liam's likeness but the ToyFair prototype is..bubbley. It looks like they're trying to give him a bushy beard instead of his 5 o' clock shadow.

mark2d2
04-06-2002, 05:32 PM
. . . Great. Just what we need. Another Qui Yawn . . .

DarthMaulSithLord
04-06-2002, 08:04 PM
I kinda like that Qui-Gon. But they really need to do something about his face and the articulation. He needs a minimum of 15 points, a cloth skirt and a decent cloth robe. Not the cheap-o ones, but a to scale one of good quality. Just imagine. It would be the perfect Qui fig!

*dreams away*

:zzz:

187-Maul
04-07-2002, 06:03 AM
here's a pic of him on card from rebelscum
look how awful those armjoints are - he should be made like that little moviepic of him on the card

LTBasker
04-07-2002, 04:03 PM
I dub thee... Baby Faced Quality-Gone.

JEDIpartner
04-07-2002, 05:19 PM
This one looks like a big turd holding a lightsaber. I can't believe that anyone... and I mean ANYONE in their right mind would buy this thing. The hands look like he's got edema and the face is too young!!! HELLO!!! QUI-GON WAS NOT YOUNG! Damn hippy figure. :frus:

Jayspawn
04-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Ah, I think it looks pretty cool. I'll make my final judgement when I see it.

Wolfwood319
04-07-2002, 07:40 PM
After looking at the proto pic, it seems that they had the same armjoint revealing problems. If you look carefully, it looks as if the shoulders under the cloak were painted the same colore as the cloak itself. I think if this turns out to be the case with the real figure, I'll do the same.

I also hope they used a matte-ish finish on the cloak, so as to prevent shiny-ness. I've been looking forward to a two handed Qui-Gon with robe for some time now. I think all in all, this figure will be alright. But like Jayspawn, I'll make final judgements when I see it.

corporal AMF
04-07-2002, 10:40 PM
the figure in the 'idea' is OK, I mean a fighting Qui Gon, with robes but the final product is horrible, I really wanted Qui Gon and Obi Wan fighting with robes (remember kicking obi wan?), and also would like cloaked, like arrival at Neimodian Spaceship, I tried to customize Obi Wan with robes with wave 1 Obi, removed and sanded down the shoulders, and used the cloak (as mace's a horrible thing)...I glued Obi's robes and finally look pretty decent, but just that...
Qui Gon, an Obi cloaked are a must, also Obi from AOTC, with crossed arms, like sidious EP 1:)

Dave_Cameron
04-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Another Qui-Gon is a useless thing- especially when it looks as badly sculpted as this one. I'm passing on it.

JEDIpartner
04-08-2002, 09:09 AM
We're, what... 80% in agreement here. Can you say MAJOR pegwarmer of all time- Malikili???? :rolleyes:

187-Maul
04-08-2002, 09:31 AM
I'll maybe buy a second Nikto Jedi Knight and swap head and hands with a Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon and then paint them properly so that I finally hve the jedis for my hangar

pthfnder89
04-08-2002, 10:53 AM
I'll probably pick him up because I need Jedi figs for all the custom Jedis I want to make, aas well as lightsabers. But I don't need a new Qui-Gonn by any means.

droidekas2
04-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Its just a waste. There are so many unmade characters from Phantom Menace that could have been made, but instead we get another one of these. Cant wait until the next chance to buy another Darth Maul, not.
I dont by these rehacks. I spend my money on new never before made figures, droids, and aliens. Not a man in a brown robe that has been made 10 times already.
I have money to spend and if Hasbro doesnt want it then that is there own stupidity. They know what we want and instead they choose to make this. So be it.

bigbarada
04-08-2002, 01:54 PM
What an awesome figure! Definitely the coolest new toy to come down the pipe in years!! This one rockets to the top of my most wanted list! I especially like how he comes with that removable hand and the "antenna" that he......

huh?......oh we're not talking about the new Luke Bespin? Who? The new Qui-Gonn?.....

ICK!

He looks like poo!

With my recently depleted budget, there is no way I am going to spend my money on a sub-standard rehash. So Qui-Gonn is "quite gone" from my want list. Get it? Get it? Qui-Gonn,"quite gone?" Ahh, I crack myself up.:)

badtaste
04-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid

LOL!!! yeah, that would be cool.I think I'm going to make a custom of that. I hate him anyway. He is so ultimate boring. I think he's the most boring character of the galaxy, and he has absolutely no sence of humor.'I don't sence anything'. And with that haircut and beard, he looks like a camel.
Yuk

mark2d2
04-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Bad Taste,

I so agree. I've always thought that the utter dullness of Qui Gonn was a big part of the "failure" of TPM. He's just such a snooze as a character. And he doesn't even impart any real wisdom what-so-ever. He's just boring. Boring. BORING!

No wonder Old Ben never mentions him in the OT. What's to remember?