PDA

View Full Version : Why have an astromech on the Jedi Starfighter?

Fulit
04-05-2002, 01:34 PM
I know there was supposed to be some scene w/ the stunted-bodied R2 unit that got cut, so they made it like the dome was just permanently attached. But really it doesn't make sense to have this bulbous R2 head sticking out of your ship, messing up your aerodynamics. The whole purpose of having an astromech slot on other ships is, the droid is removeable and can follow you around outside the ship. Why not just build a device that performs all the functions of the astromech straight into the ships brain? Even better question, why do I care?

Pendo
04-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Why is the droid only on one side of the Jedi Starfighter and not in the centre. What if there is a problem on the other side, does it have an arm able to reach to the other side of the ship? Could it see what it's doing?

PENDO!

chewie
04-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Aerodynamics I don't think play any role in space, since there is no air. The small buldge shouldn't affect the ship too much flying around in planetary atmospheres either.

The droid "head" is simply there so that when Obi-Wan is being shot at, the camera will switch to the droid and its panicked "beep-boop!". It may also beep a few times in conversation with Obi, though they could have done the same thing with an on-board computer in the ship's console.

Pendo
04-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Isn't R4-P17 supposed to be attatched the the Jedi Starfighter and has no body? A report from JediNet (http://www.jedinet.com) has the R4 unit out of the starfighter and being chased by Rogas:

Obi-Wan then pulls back from the stairway he had previously ascended, and we switch back to his Jedi Starfighter's landing area. We find R4-P17 backed against the cliff wall by several Rogas. Obi-Wan attempts to contact him after finding a window...."Arfour, Arfour, Where are you?" The Jedi then takes his electrobinoculars out and watches as the droid is being chased by the Rogas. Obi-Wan then proceeds to climb higher in the structure, eventually reaching it's top.

I'd like to see a droid with no body be chased, is his dome head rolling down a hill or something?

Check out the full report here (http://www.jedinet.com/news/Story.asp?init=active&back=archive&fldr=Prequels&month=April&year=2002&id=93759,20020405,2893).

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
04-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Maybe it's got one of those Deodourant "roll-on" type balls underneath it!! That would be cool!

no it wouldn't.

:p

Rollo Tomassi
04-05-2002, 02:31 PM
I heard and that R4-P17 was supposed to be as half as tall as a regular astromech droid, which would have been cool and explained why she fits in the Aethersprite like she does. But they cut that scene and now it's just a head on the ship. Of course, the REAL reason is Goerge and co. lack foresight and they are retro-explaining all this away with EU BS...

Fulit
04-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Of course, the REAL reason is Goerge and co. lack foresight and they are retro-explaining all this away with EU BS...

Nodding in agreement. Yep, yep, that's where I was going w/ this.

JEDIpartner
04-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Fulit

Nodding in agreement. Yep, yep, that's where I was going w/ this.

another case of "Fulit pride"? Waaaaaahhhh-hahahahahaha!!! :crazed:

No... both of you are right though. It is a bad case of EU coming back to save Unca Georgie's ever expanding butt!

LTBasker
04-05-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, pretty much the droids are there for engineering and such, so that's why we always saw droid sockets. Well this way the droid is "one with the ship" and so it can control stuff better, plus this probably it to where the droids can fly it much easier without a pilot in the cockpit in case they needed to rescue their pilot or the pilot wanted them to retreat, it can also be better in repairs because the unit would know precise places it was hit at leading to be able to make repairs to itself or give the information to a mechanic. As for the aerodynamics, well unlike the reason given by StarWars.com as to why the unit is an R4 droid but no conehead, well my theory on that is the dome houses the R4 componets it's just to keep with the atmospheric aerodynamics they put the dome on instead of the regular R4 head. Also remember that while having the dome on side could mess with the aerodynamics, that it's entirely different technology and Lucas doesn't always keep with the technical stuff. ;)

Lord Tenebrous
04-05-2002, 09:07 PM
R4 isn't really all that special, she's just Obi-Wan's secretary...

TAUN WE goes. The door slides closed behind him. OBI-WAN looks around, then moves swiftly to check the room over. Finally, satisfied, he takes out his comlink.

OBI-WAN: Arfour, Arfour...

EXT. TIPOCA CITY LANDING PLATFORM, JEDI FIGHTER, (RAINSTORM) - LATE DAY
The R4 P17, Obi-Wan's Astro-Droid, who is sitting on top of Obi-Wan's Starfighter, switches on and BEEPS.

INT. TIPOCA CITY, APARTMENT - LATE DAY
OBI-WAN hears ARFOUR BEEP through his comlink.

OBI-WAN: Arfour, relay this, "scramble code five", to Coruscant: care of "the old folks home"...

The Hasbro J. Starfighter should have been electronic for this reason only...

hamsterboy
04-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Why does it look like the red R2 unit that was on the Queen's ship in TPM?

JediTricks
04-06-2002, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Well, pretty much the droids are there for engineering and such, so that's why we always saw droid sockets.Droids are there not just for engineering, but also (and I believe more importantly) for hyperspace navigation. Ships like the Falcon didn't have an astromech because they had a droid brain for the job instead, and did the repair work themselves. If the Jedi Starfighter doesn't have hyperspace capabilities, as the official site claims (most don't, some do), then it's just for repair, but what kind of droid can only repair ONE SIDE OF THE SHIP?!? Droid heads have fairly small arms inside with a short reach, how is that droid head going to get those little arms all across that ship, over the tall center, into the rear sections? I think Lucas should have just abandoned the idea of the droid head and gone with the separate hyperdrive ring instead.

As for the red R2 from the royal starship, R2-R9, that droid actually has a silver dome with red panels, whereas R4-P17 has a red dome with silver panels. The EU background on this droid on the official site is really insulting IMO, but has nothing to do with the royal starship droid.

Obi-Don
04-07-2002, 07:59 AM
I think it was done for looks. Over the years we have seen r2s with the starfighters and GL just wanted one in the Jedi starfighter. It would have been better to have it in the middle or on the back and not look like just a head.

JediTricks
04-07-2002, 11:24 PM
I've heard that one before, but only 2 out of the 4 rebel starfighters in the films have had droids, the A-wing and B-wing had no droids.

Beast
04-07-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I've heard that one before, but only 2 out of the 4 rebel starfighters in the films have had droids, the A-wing and B-wing had no droids.
Those ships weren't starring role ships either, that had to be on screen quite a bit. It's much easier for them to take care of boring exposition, if Obi-Wan has someone to talk to. It's similar to Luke's conversations with R2-D2 in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. It would have been alot worse if they wouldn't have included an astromech, and just had Luke and Obi-Wan talking to themselves.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-07-2002, 11:53 PM
I think Obi-Wan was talking to himself in 'Clone War', he said "This is why I hate flying." He could've been talking to his droid but it was kinda toned down, kinda like how you say things to yourself when you're walking away from something and you don't want anyone else to hear ya. :D

mark2d2
04-08-2002, 07:49 PM
I agree. The little attached head idea is a bit lame. I would have been totally stoked if the ship (and the toy!) had a droid slot and a fully removable R4. Also, I still don't like the whole "rebuilt by someone with the wrong shaped dome" concept either. That just sounds lame and made up. And frankly, the overall design of this vehicle DOES NOT make up for (what I feel are) these deficiencies.

I can only hope and pray that it plays better on screen than it does in my head.

RooJay
04-11-2002, 10:20 PM
I think it's there because it looks cool, and we should all stop worrying about it and just enjoy the movie.

Fulit
04-11-2002, 10:25 PM
Nope. I'm going to keep worrying. My wife said the same thing, she's trying to get me to a therapist, and I said, "No way, this will always be a huge deal to me".

Who's worrying? We're just discussing.

BanthaPoodoo
04-11-2002, 10:53 PM
This is the audio taken from www.starwars.com Making Of Pt. 2.

The designer states why they place the droid where he did:

I think its funny how he says, no logical place so they just stuck it on there somewhere!

RooJay
04-12-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Fulit
Nope. I'm going to keep worrying. My wife said the same thing, she's trying to get me to a therapist, and I said, "No way, this will always be a huge deal to me".

Who's worrying? We're just discussing.

Some of us were also kidding.;)

Honestly, I still think it's cool looking and don't see what everyone's concern is about. I'm sure the droid feels no pain due to his decapitation.