PDA

View Full Version : Should a fan site become an "official" fan site?

SirSteve
04-05-2002, 01:48 PM
It looks like another site (site #1) bought a big named site (site #2) last year and is trying to convince the people at LucasFilm that site #1 should be the "official" Star Wars FAN site. If their plan works, site #1 and site #2 will merge. Now this disturbs me because why should any fan site become an official site? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the fan site? Why have StarWars.com? Why have StarWars.Hasbro.com? Are they wanting the power to control other fan sites content because thats's the only way to get ahead? Please, don't just vote, let us know what you think.

NOTE: The site that was bought was NOT a "collecting" site, but much bigger. Actually it was the company that was bought but they are one in the same (the site is incorperated). If you look closely at their advertising system, they are using the same advertising agency and programming. In this case, I would NOT want to use, "the force".

Wolfwood319
04-05-2002, 01:54 PM
The thing that makes a "Fan Site" an actual "Fan site'' is its uninvolvement with Lucasfilm. And then, what's to say that one fan site is betterr than the next? If you want official, go to Starwars.com. That irks me that one site out there thinks there so good and better than everyother site and should become the "official" fan site.

Beast
04-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Oh for cripes sake, it was bad enough when they bought out that other site. Because I actually liked them, better then the site that bought it. But now they seriously wanna become an "official" Fan site? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? That's about as bad as the recent DVD release of the "Army of Darkness" that was labeled as the "official bootleg edition". :rolleyes:

Again, any wonder why I primarily stick to here. I didn't think that anything could be as bad as that picture situation with them, from earlier in the week. But as usual, it's nice to see that my expectations have been surpassed. :frus: You have a loyal forum member here, Sir Steve. Infact your site is my homepage. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
04-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Check the note I added in my initial post.

Dryanta
04-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Let me say first I am blissfully ignorant of the situation in question.I am however informed enough to see that someone is apparently trying to corner the market on info and whatnot.
Unacceptable.Why should I as a fan unofficial or otherwise be at ease with this idea?
The potential for misinformation and even elitism and censorship are overwhelming to me.
The arrogance!!
I personally would not jump ship from here to an "official site" just for the title.
If this goes through then I'm assuming the info posted here would be limited?
So be it,I'll still come here and I would make a point of never going there and would certainly never give any business to any advertiser of that site.I'd let my wallet scream my opinion on the matter.
a fan site is just that, good or bad.they need to remain that way.There are enough "official sites" already.

JediBoulton
04-05-2002, 02:37 PM
It seems to me that everyone is going "political". Why can't there be a group of people who share views, opinions, thoughts, comments, and other neat stuff in a forum without having to label it "OFFICIAL". I enjoy reading all the information .. some official -- most unofficial(usually the more interesting).

I could really get into something here -- but for time and space sake I won't.

If a fan site becomes "official" then it becomes regulated, controlled, and basically -- not "fan-fun".

I vote for no confidence in this decision!!! Long live the Fan Sites!

SirSteve
04-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
It seems to me that everyone is going "political". Why can't there be a group of people who share views, opinions, thoughts, comments, and other neat stuff in a forum without having to label it "OFFICIAL".

You found it, here!

:D

Mandalorian Candidat
04-05-2002, 02:48 PM
I honestly have no idea to which sites SSG is referring to, but my opinion is that why wouldn't you want to have the fountain of all SW knowlege come from the original source. It kind of reminds me of Robocop where a private company ran the Detroit P.D. and screwed it all up. Plus, we only need one Rick McCallum in this world, not a whole bunch throwing monkey wrenches in the works. If we have to a have a Rick MC, I'd rather have the official one!

Fixer
04-05-2002, 02:58 PM
I'll vote if you'd just cut the subterfuge and tell us who site #1 and site #2 are. :rolleyes: My head is still hurting from trying to parse:
The site that was bought that owns the site...

JediBoulton
04-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Official Sites bring you just THAT --"Official News" If we want official news, we can ask Rick M, or even a better source, George L.

HOWEVER --

I might be George Lucas. I might be reading these sites to get "that opinion" that I might need for my next movie. After All, I am only human (maybe a clone -- but that is an opinion, and not allowed on an "official site").

My point is this -- everyone likes to share ideas, and whether we want to admit to it -- we all like hearing some of them. An Official site would kick these opinions out and thats just not right -- not to mention fun. The whole purpose of the "FAN SITE" is to have fun -- if I want Official -- I'll go back to work!

Again, just my opinion...

SirSteve
04-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Fixer
I'll vote if you'd just cut the subterfuge and tell us who site #1 and site #2 are. :rolleyes: My head is still hurting from trying to parse:

Sorry, typo. Fixed.

Wookie Boy
04-05-2002, 03:41 PM
It seems to me that it really does not matter if a site is an official fan site or not. Fans are going to go where they want to get their daily dose of info, rumors or pictures. But I am not sure how they can call themselves a fan site if fans are not deciding what is or is not getting posted for everyone to share. And even if they do allow postings by fans, those who control the site will censor anything they feel should not be posted. So why would anyone go to an official fan site? We have great sites on the net (like this one) to get info and pictures before they are ever officially released to the public (i.e. Hasbro's announcement yesterday). It seems to me like that it would be self-defeating to become an official site and be told when something can or can not be posted.

Or maybe it is too complicated for my puny brain to understand and I am completely wrong.

OC47150
04-05-2002, 03:45 PM
It would be interesting to see, if such a thing happened, if this new "official" site would have timely information and updated daily like some of the fan sites. I seriously doubt it. Where else other than fan sites can you find out what locations the TIE bomber and the newest figures are showing up in?

Long live the fan sites!!!

Dak Powers
04-05-2002, 03:55 PM
First of all, howdy, I'm new here, even though I've been visiting SSG for a good year or more.

Second of all, my input on the situation: It's logical for a single person to have his/her own "official" fan club or site, since the club or site may be directly linked to the person, and that place would be the center of correspondence and fanmail to that person. Countless celebrities have these. But to put an "official" fan site to a series of movies? Something much bigger than one person? The idea is just ludicrous. I consider SW/Hasbro/everything else associated with SW the source of the news, like there are sources of news in real life (? hehe) and sites like SSG and TFN to be the... "Newspapers", if you will. I hope this all made sense to you guys.

Dak

Vortex
04-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Well again, we as fans fall to the way side as individuals try to make a buck or two and don't care who they upset or hurt in the process.

I think the whole key to this is the $$$. Who, or whatever, owns these sites is probably more concerned about web traffic and sponsor money that the thoughts and ideas that are out there.

Its like a large company coming into a new area and buying out the mom and pop corner store because they are in direct competition. Its just one more way to try to carve out a piece in the large Star Wars market.

I have a sneaky hunch the term "Fan Site" in this case is just like a fast food chain throwing in the word "fresh" when it really isn't...a spin dr. trick at marketing.

One question though - Is anyone really sure that these are true "fan" sites? Like John Q. Public's site from his basement? Or does this go back to the the "fresh" idea and the "fan" site is actually a small branch of some bigger comapany who has their hands in the star wars universe some how?

But hey what do I know - I'm just a dumb architect.

stormie
04-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Hmmm. Difficult one to pin down. I will agree that if a fan site becomes an "official" fan site, it essentially loses its credibility with all the fans. It becomes a part of the machine, and ceases to become an unbiased source. However, if Lucasfilm wants to have an "official" fan site, there's very little that we can do about it. I just hope that whatever site is considering this move, think clearly about the ramifications before becoming "official." Ah, I long for those halcyon days where everyone was just collecting, sharing, and having fun (known as the '90s). :)

El Chuxter
04-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Theoretically, shouldn't the Star Wars Fan Club host the "Official Fan Site"?

Oh, wait, we're talking Hasbro here. Never mind. :rolleyes:

Casual George
04-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Whether there is an "official fan site" or not I will still be coming to places like sirstevesguide and rebelscum and any of the dozen other really cool fan run sites. The main point here is for Lucasfilm to use it's head and not even think about trying to shut down fan run sites. My biggest fear would be an "office fan site" and then a subsequent flood of legal notices telling other fan run sites to shut down shop or face legal consequences. Fan sites are a loosely run operation and the fun of it is nothing needs to go through some cooperate approval process. That's the point of posting a rumor about a new character or plot point and news of new toys or whatever. If you take away the spontaneity and freshness that fan sites offer, the fans themselves will turn to other interests. We don't want to be controlled and dominated. We want to be free to express our feelings and opinions about Star Wars or whatever. Lucasfilm, hear me. Don't screw the fans out of the process by trying to "officailize" everything!

LONG LIVE SIRSTEVESGUIDE.COM AND ALL THE FREE FLOWING STAR WARS FAN SITES!!!:Pirate:

SirSteve
04-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Well, all I can say is a few years ago Hasbro approached me about becoming their collector site for HasbroCollectors.com, which was just a link back to SSG. They sent me a contract and it basically said if I had anything online they didn't want, I would have to remove it. So, I didn't sign it and turned down the offer. They then approached another site that did agree and because of that, they couldn't post a lot of stuff during Episode I so in order to get around it, they started up another site and posted the information there. That site has since been closed because the contract is no longer in place.

eliwankenobi
04-05-2002, 04:37 PM
from what i've seen, as soon as most fan-based anythings are turned "official" the quality goes down and the cost goes up. let the fans have a little fun - we don't need to commercialize everything!!

Vortex
04-05-2002, 04:55 PM
I guess I'll never quite get all this cloak and dagger bit they play.

If they want to keep things authentic, and true and within the guidelines of Mr. Lucas, why do they publish books, comics, make toys? If they are trying to contol what's out there in this trivial way, by absorbing a web site they are going about it back assward.

This whole thing seems stupid since we as the consumer take those things that are out there in the Star Wars universe and make them our own (like fan sites), adding a personal touch, or adding some part of our identity to it to relate.

Next thing you know the powers that be will be telling us once a book is read and the conclusion established there's no after story. We can't imagine what comes next, can't take a guess at what the heros did after, or what the next adventure might be.

How about the powers that be put a disclaimer on the toys that say "These figures are not to be played with the G.I Joes, Barbies, etc. And shall not be in a scenario that wasn't designed by Mr. Lucas".

We have every right to play in that vast universe, let us have some fun and share our fun with others. Don't regulate for fear of loosing a few bucks.

But hey what do I know...

dexter_finster
04-05-2002, 05:00 PM
no. starwars.com is the only "official" site that should exist (except licensed product sites like starwars.hasbro.com...)

RooJay
04-05-2002, 06:31 PM
I don't think an "official" site would technically count as a FAN site. Kinda contradictory in my opinion. By the way, I make the round of all the major Star Wars fan sites about once or twice a week, but Sir Steve's Guide is always my FIRST stop! Visiting the other sites is just a way of passing the time. Plus, whenever I visit Starwars.com it's almost always through a link posted here.:happy:

bigbarada
04-05-2002, 06:57 PM
So if you visit the "official" fan site, does that make you an "official" fan?:rolleyes:

The only reason this site could possibly want "official" status is to run all the other fan sites into the ground. Kind of like Wal-Marts: they build stores in small towns, strangle all the small mom & pop stores with prices only a major multi-national conglomerate can afford to charge and finally, they raise prices when there is no longer any competition.

If this site gets "official" status (I can only assume it is TF.N, since they are the only ones big enough to even try this), then they will cut off all official info from smaller fan sites. Then when no competition is left, they will become like starwars.hasbro.com and offer special exclusive sneak peaks at two year old action figures.

I say "NO!" Fight "da Man!" Power to the People!!

(In any case, in about five years this will all be moot, since I don't forsee any major influx of new fans once Ep3 is released. Fan interest died only two years after ROTJ's release, I expect the same thing to happen around 2007)

c_richards
04-05-2002, 07:01 PM
What brain dead Nemoidean came up with this?

An "official" fan site? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a fan site? Aren't fan sites designed as tributes to something that has moved them, or has had a profound effect on how they live their lives?

The thought of someone wanting to have the "official fan site" is about as good as saying that a major collector has the "official" collection of Star Wars items!

This is a rediculous idea, and the fact that anyone could even think that a fan site should be made official is laughable at best! Fan Sites are not meant to be official, or not....they are labors of love, dedication, time, and most of all....TALENT! Produced by those that have the ability, knowledge, and expertice!

I'm sorry, but the idea of an Official Fan Site seems lame. They already have an OFFICIAL site... STARWARS.COM! That's good enough! Suffice it to say that if I were ever unfortunate enough to stumble upon that site, I would make a note of it, and make sure to tell all my friends NOT to visit the site!

Nice idea people....come back when you can think of something else more intelligent like making Gatorade the official drink of STAR WARS!

julian
04-05-2002, 09:15 PM
I know exactly what this site is. I know his owner is a very controlling individual with a big stick coming out of his throat..God knows where it got in from! Anyway this is a disgusting attitude by some guy and a few others wanting to control the entire collective community just so they can rejoice in the disgusting stink of their own disgusting egos.

and if you guys out there have no idea who this is remember you do not need to be WISE to live in PHILLY or should I spell it PHILY?

DOWN WITH THEM!

stillakid
04-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Well, there's not much new I can add to this. SirSteve has said it best already. Going "official" always leads to some kind of restrictions on content.

Imagine what aintitcoolnews would look like if it were suddenly "sponsored" by Fox, or Paramount, WB, or god help us, Disney. People visit aicn.com because they know they can get the inside scoop that the studios don't want you to know.

The same goes for the Star Wars corporation. They spend millions on targeted marketing to ensure that their product will sell. Nothing wrong with that, but having renegade "fans" out there mucking up the works with "unofficial" releases and such throws a monkey wrench into their expensive plans. Instead of manipulating and using "fan sites" in much the same way our government did with CNN during the Gulf War, perhaps Lucasfilm believes that they can somehow achieve ultimate control by buying out fan sites one by one, like Walmart (as BB mentioned). I figured that that was what they were doing when they offered up free space to fans last year.

A site like SirSteve's poses a threat to them...at least they perceive it to be that way. Silly. But hey, it's their money.

PS. And I have absolutely no idea what site(s) you're talking about with this merger business. I only visit here, which I hope speaks to the integrity of SirSteve's Guide.

corporal AMF
04-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Well this isue was something I read in another website forum, and I thoought 'that's ridiculous', but I see the word is spreading out , so it must be becoming true........
First of all, this 'force' site may have a lot of info but is becoming very restrictive, f.e. when the Clone War trailer was soon to be released, with pictures all over the web, they removed them form their forums.....! Forums?, I said forums?...never found something so frustating as their forums......I really like SSG 'small town feeling'....
SSG was my first site after the official, by the end of '98 and is also my homepage......I mean a fan site is to share our points of views and find what you can't find in books, magazines, or the OS...
My guess is....: they will loose credibility, they will get slow and burocratic, just by following LSF rules....

MORE THAN EVER LONG LIVE SSG:) :) :)

JediTricks
04-06-2002, 01:45 AM
I see a lot of good points here that I agree with, I'm sick of seeing big guys eat up little guys and take away their individuality. Long live the independents!!!

WCB
04-06-2002, 01:55 AM
Steve, I've been reading your site for 5 years now but this is the last time. You are a bitter man and your petty stabs at other sites are offensive and only prove how little you are.

It seems to me you have no idea what responsible media influence is. Your opinion poisons the minds of your readers in the same sick way any other cult leader has before you.

It's glaringly obvious that you are extremely jealous of 'site a' and or 'site b'. Assuming you are correct, who cares?

Wipe your nose you little baby and write about collecting (and by that I don't mean sell "your friend's " TF Vader to "recoup for batteries" while lying on your front page saying that there is no way the FC version will be on the same card...) You are sour and you pollute the entire Star Wars collecting community. We are better off with out you.

This is the last time I'm ever viewing this site so I guess I won't know how long it'll take before you delete my opinion from your "forum", but rest assured at least a handful of your readers will see it and maybe they will realize that their emperor wears no clothes.

"Sir" Steve you are the cancer that will destroy Star Wars collecting. Why don't you show the "tax receipt" from the sale of that TF Vader as an act of good faith and try to redeem yourself? Put your money where your mouth is...

Beast
04-06-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by WCB
Steve, I've been reading your site for 5 years now but this is the last time. You are a bitter man and your petty stabs at other sites are offensive and only prove how little you are.

It seems to me you have no idea what responsible media influence is. Your opinion poisons the minds of your readers in the same sick way any other cult leader has before you.

It's glaringly obvious that you are extremely jealous of 'site a' and or 'site b'. Assuming you are correct, who cares?

Wipe your nose you little baby and write about collecting (and by that I don't mean sell "your friend's " TF Vader to "recoup for batteries" while lying on your front page saying that there is no way the FC version will be on the same card...) You are sour and you pollute the entire Star Wars collecting community. We are better off with out you.

This is the last time I'm ever viewing this site so I guess I won't know how long it'll take before you delete my opinion from your "forum", but rest assured at least a handful of your readers will see it and maybe they will realize that their emperor wears no clothes.

"Sir" Steve you are the cancer that will destroy Star Wars collecting. Why don't you show the "tax receipt" from the sale of that TF Vader as an act of good faith and try to redeem yourself? Put your money where your mouth is...
:rolleyes: And your complaining about this has what to do with what this topic is about? Sounds like you are doing the exact same thing that you are blaming Sir Steve for doing, making a petty stab at this site. I am really sick and tired of people registering here just to attack Sir Steve. Do you really even understand what the topic is about? And you posted it twice, why? It sounds like you are the one being petty, my friend.

For one, a responsible media orginization..shouldn't be affiliated with the orginization that it's reporting about. They will be biased about the topic. Someone who came here to sour our collecting community has very little they should be saying about others polluting the the collecting community. To quote you: "We are better off without you."

By the way, all of the websites at the time the TF Vader came out said that they thought that Hasbro was going to put it on a slightly different card. Infact Hasbro even said that it might be on a different card, so please check your facts, before you use them to crucify someone. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
04-06-2002, 02:31 AM
This is in response to "WCB's" post.

I am the moderator of this forum, but this is SirSteve's site.

It is my opinion that we on Staff here as well as Steve, are big enough that WE don't have to tear a post down that is critical of this site. Ultimately that decision lies with Steve, and I will defer to him on this matter. (JediTricks, please chime in here too, though)

I think that in this case it is different than my job to protect other forums users from harassment from visitors here.

That being said, if this WCB's post is going to be left up on the boards, we as Staff have every right to respond to it in kind.

This WCB has only ever posted here twice (at the time of this message being added here). So who is he? Someone from one of the other sites in question here? Obviously.

I'll say he has a right to an opinion, but for what reason does he want to come over to our site and flaunt it in front of our readers he has only twice cared to ever talk to?

Who is jealous of what site, when it "so much matters" to them to come over here and talk to our readers about what THEIR opinions on this SHOULD BE, in WCB's mind?

Come on!

I have 2 close friends of mine who work in top positions on one of these rival sites, and it insults their integrity to have one of their own co-workers stoop down to this level and go and show off their amazing self-virtue by enlightening us here that they think even discussing the impact of changes with other big fans sites is not our purvue!

In my opinion, let them go "official." They'll cut their own throats when they learn just how much Lucasfilm will censor them and not allow them to show new product images - and spoiler reports? It will be the end of those.

It's a bad move in my mind because we'd lose some of the broad diversity Star Wars fan sites have provided on the web for almost the past 6 years.

But it's not my business to even recommend to my friends on these other sites as to what they should do. And they don't make those decisions for that site anyway.

But Mr. WCB, we have every right to discuss what impact it will have on fandom if Lucasfilm thinks they are going to consolidate fan sites behind the scenes and then cut off information to the fans by "officiating them."

SSG has always been the real Rebel site, and we will continue to rock because of it.

WCB, you take your site and Roll over for Lucasfilm. We still have and will continue to have freedom of expression and information here!

JediTricks
04-06-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Jar Jar Binks
Do you really even understand what the topic is about? And you posted it twice, why? It sounds like you are the one being petty, my friend.
JarJar, since double-posts are considered post-padding, I simply deleted the duplicate post by WCB.

WCB, I don't know what to tell you, but if you really see it that way, then I feel bad for you because I think you don't see what's going on at all. If it is something else though - as my collegue Tycho here thinks - then I really think that's just childish and rude and a disgusting display of petty behavior on your part WCB.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 03:05 AM
How goofy is it to go to the extreme of labeling SirSteve as a cult leader? Oh, pass the Kool-Aid master Steve, I'll take a drink :rolleyes:
WCB, nice job of mixing "site merging" with "TF Vader selling" in your post. That's a really convincing argument. :D

I'll add to the discussion that I wouldn't care to visit a mouthpiece website. For example, I rarely visit the official SW website on my own. Once info is released, by the time I log on it's already spread to the fan sites (SSG for instance) and I just want to talk about it with other fans. Screw facism !

And no, I don't know what sites we're even talking about :)

Tycho
04-06-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by JediBoulton

After All, I am only human (maybe a clone -- but that is an opinion, and not allowed on an "official site").

Ah-hah! I knew it! Another Clone! :D

I'll find you all out!

-and that's what these other websites want to do to themselves, turn them into StarWars.com and Hasbro.com Clones!

Me and my mouse droid will sniff them out! You just wait!

-Tycho's evil twin Clone!

Originally posted by OC47150
Where else other than fan sites can you find out what locations the TIE bomber and the newest figures are showing up in?

Exactly. An official site cannot promote shopping at one buyer's retail location over another's - such as shop Wal*Mart now for items x,y, & z. What about the fact that they sell on Wizard's in-house site, and that Target, Toys R Us, and Kay-Bee are also distributors who have already been "disadvantaged" if the company ships to Wal*Mart first (though that varies and also depends on store ordering and warehouse efficienies, etc).

So that might be the end of "official and verified" store reports from the website's staff.

There's another good one :rolleyes:

Beast
04-06-2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Exactly. An official site cannot promote shopping at one buyer's retail location over another's - such as shop Wal*Mart now for items x,y, & z. What about the fact that they sell on Wizard's in-house site, and that Target, Toys R Us, and Kay-Bee are also distributors who have already been "disadvantaged" if the company ships to Wal*Mart first (though that varies and also depends on store ordering and warehouse efficienies, etc). So that might be the end of "official and verified" store reports from the website's staff. There's another good one :rolleyes:
Good point Tycho, it would also mean the end of reporting things like stores breaking street date and selling E2 figures early. Infact they would probably use their info gathering sources like this to ensure stores that do, would be fined for the breaking of streetdate. Another good reason why a fan site should not be officially linked to Lucasfilm or Hasbro. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
04-06-2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
Well, all I can say is a few years ago Hasbro approached me about becoming their collector site for HasbroCollectors.com, which was just a link back to SSG. They sent me a contract and it basically said if I had anything online they didn't want, I would have to remove it. So, I didn't sign it and turned down the offer. They then approached another site that did agree and because of that, they couldn't post a lot of stuff during Episode I so in order to get around it, they started up another site and posted the information there. That site has since been closed because the contract is no longer in place.

Steve, were they ever punished for breaking the contract?

I think I know who you are talking about and it seems like this was just overlooked and not taken as the betrayal of Hasbro's good faith in them that it actually was.

Furthermore, I often suspect these news tidbits, or so-called spoilers that get released, to be using the fan sites for unofficial news test-sampling. It's hard to explain, but fans have accused Lucas of pandering to Fett fans in Episode 2. What if Yarna D'Gargan's fans had such a base of support, that Lucasfilm lets information leak that Yarna rescues the baby Luke and Leia in Episode 3 and gets them to safety (and she's really Padme in disguise, too - I'm making this up. "no 'duh!") Then Lucas adapts the plot of E3 to include this, finally posting on the official site a ton of information about Yarna D'Gargan and Hasbro starts curning out action figures, 12", and a Speederbike for Yarna to ride on (can you imagine that? he-heh).

One can only wonder that if prior to release of TPM, George had a far larger role for JarJar Binks in mind for the prequels, and he was summarily cut back in his screen time in E2 because of public fan opinion.

This is another reason why I think the FAN sites should remain truly that. They actually could serve Lucasfilm a purpose.

RooJay
04-06-2002, 04:50 AM
I just had a new thought on "official" involvement by Lucasfilm and their affiliates in fan matters. Remember when the fanclub truly was run by the fans, for the fans? For one thing it cost a lot less to join. We also get all kinds of really cool free gifts in the membership kit like a membership card, decals, posters, bumper stickers, and magnets, not to mention the Insider magazine. We'd even get surprised every so often with a free gift! Then after Hasbro/ Wizards of the Coast took over all the cool stuff just kinda stopped coming. The "official" fanclub was basically reduced to a magazine subscription and some exclusive (and often expensive) merchandise. Needless to say, I just kind of let my membership lapse and started picking up the magazine at the newsstand. I only rejoined the club when the exclusive figures became more common (which has become kind of pointless since the figures are only exclusive for about the first few months before you don't need to be a member to buy them!). Boy, was I ever disappointed when all I got for rejoining was a thank you letter! No bumper sticker, no poster, not even a new membership card! Pretty much the only other thing we get as members is a slight discount! Even with the discount, the figures still cost about a dollar more than in the stores; and that's not even figuring in shipping and handling! Our beloved fanclub has been reduced to a money making scheme! Maybe it's time we started a new "official" fanclub. One that once again emphasizes the fans over the profits. Man, things do have a way of getting really crappy when they get "official"!:frus:

Dryanta
04-06-2002, 09:28 AM
Well Wcb I need to stay far away from this since your apperance.I have no intention of being goaded again.It happened once before and I left the forums because of someone Just like you(If not you yourself).I have no intention of having to post another appology thread in one week.
I commend you all for being level headed with this person.I can't and need to go now!!Sorry Sir Steve I would love to be able to defend this site but I can't do it intelligently right now:mad: :mad: :mad: :frus:

SirSteve
04-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by julian
I know exactly what this site is. I know his owner is a very controlling individual with a big stick coming out of his throat..God knows where it got in from! Anyway this is a disgusting attitude by some guy and a few others wanting to control the entire collective community just so they can rejoice in the disgusting stink of their own disgusting egos.

and if you guys out there have no idea who this is remember you do not need to be WISE to live in PHILLY or should I spell it PHILY?

DOWN WITH THEM!

Bingo! That's 1/2 of problem! Now, the other half... remember... There has been a great disturbance in "The Force".

As for WCB's comments, just because we don't agree with your comments, does not mean we are going to remove your post. We don't work like that. We value everyone's opinions, that is what the forums are for.

plo koon 200
04-06-2002, 02:34 PM
This is most rather interesting. WCB I have no idea where you got your beleifs from. I think they are rather contradictory to the actual point. All you seem to be doing is trying to manipulate everyone who reads your post into leaving this site in a rather unconventional way. You are accusing SIrSteve of exactly what youa rae doing. I have no idea what the site is in question that got bought but if you have been around for five years why only one post. Your actions confuse me WCB. I wonder if anything you said is true.

stillakid
04-06-2002, 09:20 PM
RooJay brought up an interesting point. As a youngster, I remember devouring every word of Bantha Tracks, mainly because it was the best source of information in those days. Now, I barely do more than skim the Insider. The Internet is now the primary and most up-to-date way to find out up to the minute information about toys and other movie news. The magazines are way out of date by the time they arrive in the mail. The same goes for the official site at starwars.com and even more so at the Hasbro site, which is a pitiful excuse for a collecting site. You'd think that the company that is selling the product would put more effort into maintaining the content so that it was accurate 24 hours a day.

This is where an independent site, like SirSteve's Guide, can pick up the slack. Official handcuffs would stimie the flow of accurate information as has been proven in the past.

This WCB character clearly is a principal player in one of the sites in question which makes his ranting rather cowardly. To so adamently, yet unconvincingly, argue an opposing viewpoint without stating his credentials speaks to his significant lack of character. No one at SirSteve's Guide has ever told anyone what to think or what to say or what to believe. That is the nature of being unbound by contract to anyone. Clearly, the simply questioning of WCB's actions put him on the defensive and he struck out without taking the time to construct a convincing argument, if he is indeed capable of such a thing in the first place.

In any case, WCB, Hasbro, and/or Starwars.com can't stop the fans from sharing their hobby with each other here at SirSteve's Guide or anywhere else they see fit.

Tycho
04-06-2002, 11:19 PM
I think rumors can get out of hand sometimes.

I found this that might explain some things:

How this whole thing got started - Maybe? (http://www.creaturecantina.com/)

Scan down to the appropriate article and you can read the story yourselves.

The Creature Cantina is a parody site. They make up sensationalist stories at times (or all the time - I don't know, I'm not a regular visitor) and this should not be taken seriously, unless other information can be provided.

I think we all jumped the gun a little and saw conspiracies because we wanted to. (I see Clones everywhere now)

Anyway it is silly to believe any other site is going to get control over the content on SirStevesGuide.

End of story? You tell me...

Beast
04-06-2002, 11:32 PM
Intresting story there Tycho, now I wonder what exactly the whole truth is. Did the Creature Cantina decide to parody the truth, or did the "truth" grow out of this parody. "Hard to see, the Dark Side is." Thanks definatly for bringing the site and the story there to our attention Tycho. Now matters are more confusing.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Is there a legitimate newslink we can share? That parody article was fun, now that I know who we are talking about for certain. But there still remains WCB's bitter post, and I'd like to know the specifics of what we are even contemplating.

Are the allegations of that parody fundamentally true? Or is the whole thing one big joke?

I answered the hypothetical poll question with ease, now I want to know the specifics . . .

SirSteve
04-07-2002, 12:54 AM
Tycho, no one jumped the gun... we are just discussing the "what ifs" here.

Dryanta
04-07-2002, 01:37 PM
I am calm enough to return to this topic :)
I have to say after going to the link Tycho provided(thanks BTW)
I am no longer "Blissfully ignorant".
I am also more concerned.I been around long enough to see most humor or parody in this case is based in some degree of truth.
It also concerns me that the poll rusult,while still in our "favor" are slipping.Why?
It is just me or this particular topic seems to have attracted alot of low post numbers?Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with it but after wcb(?) showed up it makes me some what curious.
I am not by any description a believer in conspericies but this story sounds like a very strong possibilty.Star wars fansites are not imune to the way the rest of the world seems to be going as far as a very few people with controling interests in almost everything.I really don't know.
I will tell you this though,I will be sure to storing energy up in case of a huge fight!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :D

Tycho
04-08-2002, 01:55 AM
First I stand by my earlier conviction: NO fan site SHOULD become or try to become an official site.

We already have an official site - which I visit AFTER my favorite fan site (SSG) has posted that there's something over there that I might be interested in. I don't check the Official Site, nor Hasbro's regularly that is.

I go there unprompted only when I have NOT seen news from them in a while, just to be sure that it's not because everyone on this site has forgotten to check them in some time. That rarely happens as Steve is very good at staying alert was to what's going on around the Star Wars internet community.

But my second point comes after new consideration of everything that's caused alarm and confusion around here:

I think that if Lucasfilm wanted to swallow up or close down websites like Paramount did to Star Trek sites, they would have done so already. We are practically 2/3 of the way through the prequels - or we will be in barely over a month. So what's the point in cracking down on our enjoyment of free speech now?

Someone's going to spoil the fact that Anakin becomes Darth Vader in Episode Three? - Ooops. Sorry. I was bad...:rolleyes:

aikman
04-08-2002, 01:39 PM
Who cares whether a site is offical or not really? Throw away any jealous feelings young padawans. A sites a site, if you dont like it , just pick another, no biggee. Once a site becomes part of another they usually go downhill anyway , just to be replaced bya better one

c_richards
04-08-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by WCB

Sounds like someone's mommy didn't cuddle or love him enough when he was a baby. This must be the brain dead Nemoidian that wants to be "official". Well, in my opinion, he's an "official" lunatic and pain in the arse!

SirSteve, Tycho, JediTricks and all other moderators and "controllers" of this site. YOUR SITE ROCKS. If this guy had nearly the following or views that your site has, he would see that fans are the ones that make or break a site!

To say that SirSteve was the equivalent of a cult leader is a low blow. If that's the case, then who is he? A STAR WARS televangelist? I can see it now, "If you want to remove sirsteve from your computer....put your hands on your monitor and step into a bucket of water and BE HEALED!" (bad southern/televangelist accent)

I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I take offense at the fact this moron calls us sheep. I am not controled by anyone, or any site. I choose to view SSG because I find it very informative, and also because a lot of people here are so very helpful and cool to chat with!

THANKS SSG....keep up the great work!

OC47150
04-08-2002, 02:06 PM
C Richards is right on! This sight and numerous other SW sites I check are great info sources.

It looks like WCB has some deeper issues that need to be resolved.

corporal AMF
04-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Anyone remember what happened when NAPSTER Got Shot down?
New ways to download mp3 appeared suddenly.....like in Jurassic Park, life finds his way, and freedom of speech also....

I mean the problem is serious, bigger than our love to a sci-fi world.....like music, movies when are realesed start to be property of the public....now uncle George is afraid from fan-sites...Maybe is not him, but a whole organization, lawyers, accountants, that want to make profit with anything involved with Starwars......:mad:

Sirstevesguide was the site that got me into collecting again, althought I knew from the Official site.....so the power of fan sites is that you recognize who is ruling them, someone with the same vision of the matter as you, an official site is made with a Profit/Vision....to make money, etc..

William Wallace : They can't take away our freedom !!

One thing that I'm worried about is that so little people is posting in this forum, maybe a threas should be started in the main forum

LONG LIVE NON RULED SITES

LONG LIVE SIRSTEVE

SirSteve
04-09-2002, 12:06 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that continues to support the site. I have never said that none of the other sites were not informative because indeed they are. Each site has that something unique from others. I just hope that you continue to make SirStevesGuide.com as one of your stops when it comes to a Star Wars web site. We've been around since 1995 and like everyone, we have had our ups and downs but we plan on doing what we do best. So, again, on behalf of the entire Staff at SSG, THANKS FOR LOOKING!

stillakid
04-09-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Tycho

Someone's going to spoil the fact that Anakin becomes Darth Vader in Episode Three? - Ooops. Sorry. I was bad...:rolleyes:

I'm with everything that's been said regarding unofficial fan sites...except on the subject of spoilers. Filmmakers of all kinds spend thousands of hours and spend millions of dollars to create something that they hope will bring entertainment and enjoyment to audiences everywhere. As much as it is art, it is also a business venture. They are creating a very very expensive product...one product only that has to sell. Unlike a company that makes pots and pans or mattresses, movies (especially at this time) have exactly one weekend to prove themselves. Why? Because approximately 75 to 80% of revenue is generated from overseas distribution. Foreign buyers look to US first and second week box office totals to decide what movies their going to buy and put into theaters. If some over-zealous fans decide to evaluate a film before it's even finished based on sketchy third-party unverified information, they could essentially kill a movie before it hits a screen.

Now Star Wars is a slightly different franchise, with an enormous built-in audience, but even that isn't enough to recoup all the expense. They need the non-fans to see the movie mulitple times as well. While it may be unfounded, the fear is that unofficial spoiler information could hurt potential ticketsales. From the outside, it may sound like a silly fear, especially when talking about a franchise like Star Wars, but for the guys who are actually spending the money, they have every incentive to do everything possible to ensure the success of the movie.

Don't agree? Why don't some of you guys drop $100 million to make a movie then come back here and tell us how you feel about people bagging on your film before it's even finished?

stillakid
04-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that continues to support the site. I have never said that none of the other sites were not informative because indeed they are. Each site has that something unique from others. I just hope that you continue to make SirStevesGuide.com as one of your stops when it comes to a Star Wars web site. We've been around since 1995 and like everyone, we have had our ups and downs but we plan on doing what we do best. So, again, on behalf of the entire Staff at SSG, THANKS FOR LOOKING!

But aside from the spoiler thing, I consider SSG my unofficial official fanclub. Everything else is just fringe noise.

The Private Universe
04-12-2002, 08:30 AM
I don't come here often, and I can't be considered a SSG fan, however on this I totally agree that there should NOT be an official fan site, stupid idea... The only reason it would be done is for increased advertising income. I know who the sites are, and I have heard this all some time ago, from several sources, and I believe them. This is no rumour or attempt by SSG to stab another site and cause trouble, nope... it's TRUE! The problem is SSG has made a few enemies that will use this against SSG, and more fools them.

I think some sort of protest should be made to LFL before this goes TOO far and we are taken over by power hungry webmasters. From what I understand it is teh Site A that has made the suggestion to LFL and not LFL's idea... lets hope that they can see it for what it is, and say NO!

The internet is like a playground, and in that play ground most kids can play nicely together, but then there are the bullies... In the real world the bullies never get made prefects, so lets hope these bullies don't either...

Lets spread this news around this news around the net, so LFL can hear what the fans think of an official fan site! A big fat NO!

Pete

SirSteve
04-12-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by The Private Universe
I don't come here often, and I can't be considered a SSG fan, however on this I totally agree that there should NOT be an official fan site, stupid idea... The only reason it would be done is for increased advertising income. I know who the sites are, and I have heard this all some time ago, from several sources, and I believe them. This is no rumour or attempt by SSG to stab another site and cause trouble, nope... it's TRUE! The problem is SSG has made a few enemies that will use this against SSG, and more fools them.

I think some sort of protest should be made to LFL before this goes TOO far and we are taken over by power hungry webmasters. From what I understand it is teh Site A that has made the suggestion to LFL and not LFL's idea... lets hope that they can see it for what it is, and say NO!

The internet is like a playground, and in that play ground most kids can play nicely together, but then there are the bullies... In the real world the bullies never get made prefects, so lets hope these bullies don't either...

Lets spread this news around this news around the net, so LFL can hear what the fans think of an official fan site! A big fat NO!

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. I have contacted LFL regarding the issue and that's about all I can do other than try spreading the word. The only other thing is to just get those of you with Star Wars web sites to help spread the word!

InsaneJediGirl
04-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Having my own SW "FanSite(Ezboard)"..I'll add my two cents on this.

The only offical Starwars Fan Site should be Starwars.com.I thought it was the offical fan site?Or am I mistaken?Making
offical Fansites would create a melay of "Who would get the "offical" title",with SW Fansites fighting it out to the death.

Unoffical fansites are the best..where else could you get spoilers?Long live SSG :D and down with "Offical Fan Sites"

Commander Antilles
04-12-2002, 02:29 PM
As a administrator at the TFN message boards, who saw a link to this thread at the Jedi Council, and since a number of people seem to be taking potshots at TFN, perhaps someone could show me why they think TFN is throwing it's weight around to be named the "official SW site?

The Private Universe
04-13-2002, 04:27 AM
I think you have got that a little wrong... From what I gather and understand it's 'Site A' who actually own the site you mentioned, who are trying to convince LFL that they should be the official fan site, not the official site... I understand that their idea is to clean up the rest of the sites and eventually be the only fan site... LFL isn't doing this, it's Site A... That's the way I have heard it, and pretty much what is said here.

CA I know you and that you enjoy many many sites, you are a real part of the online SW community, and I am sure you wouldn't like to see it end up as just 1 official fan site?

I have no problems with the site being discussed here, I only have problems with how they treat the other fan sites and what they are trying to do. If they lived and let live this whole fan site community thing would be so much better. However they are like a bully... If you can't beat them buy them, if you can't buy them bully them... that is no doubt the slogan the staff use :) I wish we could all just play nicely, but some can't...

You need to see the big picture... and not look upon this as an attack, because it's actually trying to defend what we all enjoy in order to preserve it!

Pete

JHC
04-13-2002, 03:22 PM
First of all lets be honest here. The sites in question here SSG and Rebelscum are not really fan sites at all. Both are large online media publications that deal with Star Wars. Both have paying advitisers. These are businesses and if the webmasters of either site tell you otherwise they are lying. Both sites are always going to try and get the scoop on the news in hopes to attract the more readers so that they can then attract more paid advitisers and and then get more money. This is the way it is and that is not a bad thing. These sites cost alot of money and time and it would be ridiculous to expect they do it for free. This whole official Star Wars site is also ridiculous because there is already an offical Star Wars site and that is StarWars.com. That doesn't mean other sites can't get offical news and if one site does a better job at that then they are going to more than likely the dominate site. It that simple.

Jargo
04-13-2002, 03:25 PM
S'just a big ****ing contest really. Either that or penis envy. Sorry but the whole affair is a joke. Yay!

I'm rather curious to know why rebelscum and TFN. simply seem to be one and the same site already. rebelscum posts news items that originally appear at TFN and TFN's collecting pages are almost exclusively made up of rebelscum articles. This would indicate that the sites have indeed merged but haven't quite got round to consolidating their sites into a single super site yet. It can only be a matter of time.
I hope somehow they do consolidate and merge completely. It would make my internet journey shorter having to wait for one site to download instead of two. It would mean having to wade through stories and articles only the once instead of seeing them duplicated on each site.

But at the end of the day, I only visit those places the same as I visit the official site - for the pictures, to skim read the articles. I never stay there for more than a minute at a time. This place I can stay all night. News gets discussed here and I link to places from here more than anywhere else. The forums here are ninety percent relaxed and friendly and without uptight posturing that can be found elsewhere.
I haven't ever seen Steve attempting to brainwash anyone. Steve doesn't seem to contribute much to any thread. Much less dictate an opinion. Does this mean we're all like Moonies or something? Because we never see Steve in pictures and we don't know his name and he speaks from afar, this makes him a cult leader? Jeez, half the politicians in the world could be accused of that!
As to the original issue of a big official 'fansite' let them go ahead if they so desire. I like being a non official fan better. I've never ever been tempted to join the official fanclub or bought from the official online store. I never read official press releases. Dullness incarnate is all that is. Screw 'em! that's what i say.

hc37180
04-13-2002, 06:36 PM
You want to know what is really funny about you Sir Steve.... People dont have to try and make you look bad, you do it all on your own.

God Save The Queen!!

Tycho
04-13-2002, 07:11 PM
People with one post here would really know...

Will the previous post and my response to it be deleted? I don't know. I really don't want to be involved in this thread. But when it comes to taking constructive criticism, this site is pretty magnanimous.

I do want it known that were such a post made about any of our members, I would delete it immediately. Childish behavior that is inconsiderate of others need not be tolerated. We should have a higher standard here.

But when we express ourselves in a forum, those who read what we write will evaluate it with whatever evidence or logical argument the initial forums poster makes.

I saw nothing of that sort to merit consideration in the last post I just read.

I only involved myself in this because I saw a dispariging remark made only out of spite, and I moderate the polls forum (though I did not create this particular poll or want to start this).

Again, I have 2 good friends at Rebelscum, one who is local, now a partial owner of that site, and a person I frequently hang out with and collect my figures with. And my getting along with them has nothing to do with websites and who's posted what online. I do not care to be involved in this.

The bottom line is that several websites are competative and their top webmasters have taken issues with each other. I don't really care as life goes on. The next Star Wars items supposedly being produced will be things like the Boxed or Carded Ephont Mon, the first production shots of the 12" Max Rebo Band pairs, etc. I'll go look at whatever site has pictures of them, and then discuss the TOYS, not the websites which posted them.

Everyone posting in this thread seems to be obsessed with discussing these said sites. I'm staying out of it as much as I can, so please respect my wishes and post something intelligent if it is going to be critical. Provide some information or some kind of suggestion, or quit wasting the rest of our "oxygen!"

All of you are on these sites to discuss HASBRO in the first place. The sooner you relax and get back to it, the better you will feel.

I'm really sick of having to read all this junk!

JHC
04-13-2002, 09:07 PM
"I'm really sick of having to read all this junk!"

This junk was started by your own boss so maybe if you don't like it you should take it up with him.

RooJay
04-14-2002, 07:53 PM
In light of some of the recent posts in this forum, it seems as though a few people out there are actually jealous of the poularity and loyalty this site has garnered.
Also, as Sir Steve has never done anything to harm me personally (and I honestly can't imagine what he might've done to anyone else!), I don't understand the seeming need by certain people to attack his character. This site is fun and very informative. Yes, the news posted on this site HAS to come from somewhere, and just because a particular news article might have originated on another site does not give that site the sole exclusive right to report it. This gets right to the heart of the issue in my opinion. Information regarding fan interests belongs to ALL fans, and is considered free game to report on by my reasoning.

stormie
05-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Okay, my head is spinning. All this double-speak about site "A" or "the force" or "a wise man" etc. is making me really curious as to the actual relationships/owners of all the main collecting sites out there. Does anyone want to give a quick, unbiased family tree of all the main sites? Here's what little I know so far:

Rebelscum and TheForce.net are owned by the same guy...which purchased (?) collectstarwars.com and merged it with Rebelscum a few months back.

Yakface.com is run mainly by Adam Pawlus? Any other connections?

Not sure about Artoosnews.com or TheJawa.com...any connections?

Any others that I left out? What was the site that SirSteve mentioned earlier, that shut down?

It really doesn't matter who owns what to me, it's just simple curiosity as to the interrelationships of a lot of the sites.

Oh yeah, sorry for resurrecting this thread. Curiosity got the better of me. ;)

The Private Universe
05-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Other relationships... Well Adam Pawlus used to be a Rebelscum staff member, whether there is any 'connection' still I have no idea... If I were to be bold I would say Yakface would be on the shopping list ;)

ArtoosNews and TheJawa, no connection as far as I understand, they are just a group of fans reporting news and being there for tha fans, both great sites that deserve much respect.

I honestly wish all the fan sites could play nicely together, and get on, but sadly there is an element of greed that stops that happening... Shame as it is the fans who suffer. I would like to just get on with the daily webmaster type stuff, but I get too much haressment from certain parties who threaten to smear me and damage all I have tried to do for my visitors, just because I have done well... I have a word for them but I am a gentleman.

I just hope that the fans, and the official bodies see them for what they are before they ruin the Star Wars internet community for us all... What happened to the Star Trek sites beign shut down could happen to the Star Wars ones... Don't let those who seek power have it!

Pete

Oh, just had a look at your site, brilliant stuff :)