PDA

View Full Version : Who will read book?

Cotasnoova
04-05-2002, 11:02 PM
I was wondering what the break down is of people who will read the AOTC novel before the movie comes out...anyone?

Sith Vicious
04-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Not me. I may buy it before the movie comes out, but it will stay on the shelf until I see the movie. I know I can resist the temptation, because I did with TPM.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 12:57 AM
I won't :) Not because I'm worried about spoilers, rather if I read something I really like that isn't in the film, I may be disappointed.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2002, 02:18 PM
I did what Sith Vicious did for TPM, so I too think I can resist the urge to sneak a peak before AOTC. Hey, you know those "Can't Eat Just One" ads that Frito Lay had for Lay's Potato Chips? For probably 3-5 years, I would only eat ONE chip per bag, letting anyone else finish it off. Take that, advertising geniuses who came up with that one!:p

JEDIpartner
04-14-2002, 10:59 AM
I have never waited... I've either gotten the book or the comic adaptations for all the films and it's never spoilt my enjoyment of the films. I guess I'm just odd like that.

jw_bryant
04-14-2002, 01:04 PM
if i get it, i'll read it. i want to have a general idea of whats going on; the book doesnt follow exactly along with the movie. for instance, in the Episode I novel, theres actually two podrace scenes, and you hear of two in the movie, but you never actually see the first one.

Lobito
04-16-2002, 06:35 PM
Nope, i'll read it after i watch the movie. "First things first".

Sidiously Darth
04-16-2002, 08:12 PM
I think I'll hold off until I've seen the movie. I read TPM before the movie and I think it spoiled it a little for me. I'll go ahead and buy it though.:D

2-1B
04-25-2002, 02:46 AM
Okay, I picked it up and indeed planned on waiting. Then I thought, hmmm I know the first few chapters aren't in the movie, so maybe I can look at those. And now I'm 7 chapters in, I don't think I will stop. I'll look at it as an experiment - I'll compare my experiences of "no early read" (TPM) vs. "early read" with AOTC, and if I really think it was bad for me to read it early, I still have Episode III to go into somewhat fresh.

No spoilers follow: So far I think I have a decent handle on what will be in the movie and what won't be. It's strange to read a line straight out of the trailers, and sometimes dialogue seems to go on for longer than what George will allow on screen. So far there's nothing major plot-wise that I haven't read about online before, so I don't think I can be too spoiled by it. Also of interest to me is one or two minor character/costume descriptions that seem to be different.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-25-2002, 11:31 AM
The only books I've bought in hardback (others I've received as gifts: Bakura, Courtship, Darksaber) are the Thrawn duology, SOTE, and TPM. I plan to pick up the AOTC one today, but I have a few other SW books (Jedi Quest 1 & 2) plus other books that I can afford to wait a bit. Oh by the way, I have some midterms and finals coming up too! :(

dr_evazan22
04-25-2002, 05:09 PM
I picked it up and am reading it. I've read all the spoilers already, so what would be the point of not reading a book? Plus, like Caeser said, there are some things in the book that aren't in the movie. Overall, the book just gets me more hyped for the movie!

sith_killer_99
04-25-2002, 06:25 PM
I am on page 72 right now.

Sith Vicious
04-25-2002, 08:18 PM
I'm almost tempted to go ahead and read it after the Anakin Hangar Duel figure spoiled one of the big surprises for me. :frus:

Eternal Padawan
04-26-2002, 09:48 AM
****SPOILERS******

I'm up to page 86. I agree with Caesar in reading stuff that might be in the movie and stuff that might not be. Like the scene where padme is brushing her hair and wearing the slinky night gown and suddenly she thinks Ani might be watching her in the vidcams. The relationship between Padme ans Anakin is explored much deeper in the novel, than it possibly could be onscreen, so I will believe these two get married at the end of the film. From their first meeting, there is internal thought for both characters suggesting mutual attraction. It will be cool to see that progress thru the rest of the book and to see it on film. I also liked how the Approaching Storm dovetails into this with the Ansion connection.

I also liked the beginning chapters with Shmi, Owen and Cleigg. it would have been cool to see the ambush with the wire at the Tusken Camp on screen. One thing I noticed already. in the novel it says the Lars are moisture farmers for several generations, while in the Visual dictionary it says Cleigg moved from Coruscant in a dead end cubicle job to live on Tatooine. Hello! Continuity...

I highly recommend reading this, whether you wait until after the film or not. It's good stuff. The best SW book I've read since Cloak of Deception.

sith_killer_99
04-26-2002, 12:08 PM
I agree, and Cloak of Deception was an AWESOME book.

Eternal Padawan
04-27-2002, 07:45 AM
I 'm up to page 129.

Ohhhhhhhhh baby! If HALF of the Coruscant Speeder chase is in the movie, it is going to ROCK. I was giggling with giddy anticipation of seeing this on the big screen from start to finish.

"Not good. Not good!"

Bosskman
04-27-2002, 04:12 PM
I've read the novel one already and I'm 50 pages in for my second read. If the movies s half as good as the book I think it will surpass ESB as the best SW film ever!!!! I love how they go into Owen and Beru. That's something I've always wanted to see. They're characters form ANH that have gotten so little attention until now. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't get into any details but the stuff surrounding ol' Nute Gunray is pretty cool too, and so is the treatment of Boba Fett. Cloak of deception WAS awesome. I read it twice. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was pretty good too. I liked it because it expanded, not only on Maul himself, but also on Gunray and Palpy/Sid. The twist at the end was perfect too.

BanthaPoodoo
04-28-2002, 12:54 AM
Im all the way to Chapter 19!!!!! & let me tell ya, Jango Fett is one bad MF!!!!!!! I wont spoil it for anyone, but there are some cool things he is going to be doing in this movie.......

Also you may want to be sure that you get a First Edition AOTC Hardback because as I am reading it, I saw a few typos & grammatical errors that slipped through...... These always get fixed on the next printing causing the secondary market value to increase slightly......

I cant wait for this movie to come out!!!!! It is going to shatter all kinds of records I think......

Eternal Padawan
04-28-2002, 11:59 AM
It only has value in the secondary market if I decide to sell it, which I won't.

Up to page 194. Noticed something odd/awkward. on page 115 mace, Obi Wan, and Yoda are walking in the Jedi temple (like in the trailer)Mace says "The boy has exceptional skills." Obi Wan says "his abilities have made him...arrogant."

Fastforward to page 167 when Obi Wan is about to take off in his jedi Starfighter and he's talking to Mace. Guess what? Mace says "The boy has exceptional skills." and Obi Wan replies"his abilities have made him ...arrogant."

This is gonna be awkward if they repeat the same dialogue only about twenty minutes later in movie time. I think maybe George was moving some dialogue around during shooting and Salvatore got it into both the original place and the rewrite place. Weird.

Anyway, the book rocks and the mushy stuff might give Titanic a run for its money on the romance front. It's also interesting to read the dialogue from the trailers in the context with the dialogue around it. The "Excuse me, M'lady I'm in charge of security line" makes much more sense the way he's saying it when you read the dialogue before it.

More updates as they occur.

2-1B
04-28-2002, 12:47 PM
YES YES YES to E Padawan's opinion of the "security m'lady" line!
I just read that part last night and thought, "okay this is awesome because in the trailer it DID seem kinda silly." Now I just hope George includes Padme's earlier line in the movie to back me up here. George could cut it to have Padme say she's going to the Lake Country, only to have Anakin chime in with that line. Bad move, Georgie, please do this rght! :(

I'm so glad I decided to read it. I'm around 150 pages in, and it's so fun. Looks like most of the spoilers I've believed for the past year and a half are true for the most part, and it's cool to put them into their proper sequence (for the most part). I think I'm enjoying the book more now than I could after I see the film.

E Padawan, I'd like to address your evaluation of the Zam chase, which I agree with. In reading the sequences, my first impression is that the elevator stunts Anakin pulls sound like it won't be in the movie. I LOVE the idea of seeing Zam Wesell tapping her fingers on the speeder, waiting for that droid to return . . . I really hope that's in the movie.

Other thoughts before I log off to read more . . . Jango & Boba fishing is great, I'm pretty sure that is not in the movie.

Oh, and you talked about Padme in her room with Anakin watching her - some of those scenes come off as believably sensual, I agree the movie can't contain their inner thoughts but I hope a few bits make it in, like Padme covering up with her robes and such.

Great book. :D

Bosskman
04-28-2002, 05:44 PM
I remember those two similar conversations between Mace and Obi Wan too, also, there's a lot of the same kind of dialogue between him and Anakin during the chase. "I don't like it when you do that" "Sorry Master". I thing this will be fixed in the movie too.

BanthaPoodoo
04-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Finished the book this morning, & let me say that it was fantastic....

In agreement with everyone when you say it is nice to be able to add the dialogue (and action) from the trailers into reading this book. The trailers make a lot more sense (and make the movie see even more great) when you can put them in the right order.

I think GL likes to do that in every movie, have one line be repeated over & over (EI - you assume to much, ANH - I have a bad feeling about this, etc)

5 stars to RA Salvatore!!! Excellent book.....

Eternal Padawan
04-29-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Bosskman
I remember those two similar conversations between Mace and Obi Wan too, also, there's a lot of the same kind of dialogue between him and Anakin during the chase. "I don't like it when you do that" "Sorry Master". I thing this will be fixed in the movie too.

Obi Wan sounds like a broken record, criticizing everything Anakin does and Ani is repeatedly rolling his eyes saying "yes, master"

I'm not sure about the elevator scenes. It wouldn't take that long to drop them in the movie.

I also think the "fishing" scene might be in there, at least part of it, becaue it explains that Jango is the clone template through the dialogue. of course, they might explain it again when Obi Wan shows up, so that scene might not be there after all. I haven't read that far.

2-1B
04-29-2002, 01:17 PM
I finished it last night, what a fun and believable story. A bit of concern was the ending though, I would have liked some elaboration on those end scenes. It felt like the epilogue was just kinda plucked from the movie screen, I could have used some Anakin/Padme dialogue. The Sith sequence is great, just so short that it left me wanting more. 3 years will be a long wait! :D

A great book, and it should be a great movie! Just a few weeks 'til I can say for certain . . .

:)

Eternal Padawan
04-30-2002, 12:22 AM
Up to page 292.

Love the scene on the freighter where R2 swipes the porridge and the bread. Good comedy there.

The knock down, drag out, fistfight with Obi and Jango was WICKED. That'll play sweet on the screen.

Obi Wan bounding down the side of the Mesa on Geonosis should look pretty cool, too.

I also liked how it cut to Yoda when Anakin is opening the can of whupass on the Tuskens. I hope that happens in the movie.

Here's a bit of dialogue that everyone will be discussing on May 17th. Mace and Yoda talking to each other.
Yoda:"Blind we are, if the development of this clone army we could not see."
Mace:"I think it is time to inform the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished."

Intriguing...

And how come Luke never asked Owen and Beru about the gravestone in the front yard marked "Shmi Skywalker"?

BanthaPoodoo
04-30-2002, 12:56 AM
LOL!!! Good point!!! I havnt ever thought about that!?!

I guess it's the same reason C-3P0 didnt recognize Tatooine, I mean, after all, he was built there!

Eternal Padawan
05-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Finished. Pg 336. Clonetroopers on speeder bikes! Whoohoo!

And I like how Sidious and Dooku are maneuvering the Jedi into a postion where they do not trust the senate, which will backfire when they are caught "keeping an eye" on them and the Senate finds out and its an excuse for Palpatine to brand them outlaws and let the "purge" begin.

2-1B
05-02-2002, 01:32 AM
About the gravestone comment :D

Did it say anything about a monument in the novel? I can't remember. I was browsing the AOTC storybook in the children's book aisle at Wal-Mart, and they show Anakin kneeling before what appears to be a tree stump, kinda like a cutting block for firewood. My impression was that it is a grave marker of some kind, but I thought there was a second one too.

So I'm not certain what we'll see on screen.

thoughts?

Eternal Padawan
05-02-2002, 02:20 AM
It said there was a black marker in the sand next to a couple more (?). I've also seen photos where Anakin is kneeling in front of it and the others are standing in a semi circle behind him.

But seriously. Clonetroopers on Speeder Bikes! Friggin' cool!Bring on THAT action figure :D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-08-2002, 11:01 AM
I realized I finished the novel and didn't comment on it.
Plusses:
Much insight into Shmi, and the Lars family
Not much detail of the fight scenes (so it'd be better when you see it on screen)
Obi-Wan's pre-spaceship flight research on Kamino
Jango's thoughts

Minuses:
Not enough development of the Naberrie (Amidala?) family (but I know why...)
Dialogue being virtually identical to the film