PDA

View Full Version : Cowabunga, dudes!

El Chuxter
08-30-2001, 07:25 PM
I hope this article (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/305440p1.html) I just read at IGN Filmforce isn't a mere rumor! If it's for real, we might see another Ninja Turtles movie--even closer in tone to the old comic, and CG instead of costumes. I can see the slogan now: "Hey, dudes, this is no washed-up junkie former child star in a costume!" :)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2001, 07:36 PM
"... even closer in tone to the old comic," Does this mean there'll be cussing? I seem to recall that good ol' Mike, Don, Raph, and Leo were quite the potty mouths at times. Will Cerberus show up? How about the robot, you know, ol' What's-his-name (Gizmo? Gearo? Fred?)? I never saw the TMNT movies, because they looked so goofy. If there's a new one, they need to say "this isn't your older brother's movie!"

THE Slayer
08-30-2001, 07:38 PM
Or we could hope it just doesn't suck.

Starfig873
08-30-2001, 09:56 PM
I'm actually looking foreward to this one! Turtles III sucked big time, and since CGI nowadays looks great, I think this could be a cool movie! :)

GNT
08-31-2001, 01:53 AM
Does anyone know if it'll be set after the other movies or a NEW start to the movie ie How they became mutant turtles etc?

As long as I see Shredder I'll be happy :)

Starfig873
08-31-2001, 07:23 AM
From what I've heard GNT, this is a completely NEW timeline with the Turtles. I haven't heard anything about Shredder yet, but I too, want him in the movie! :)

Lobito
08-31-2001, 12:32 PM
As long as they make another great ARCADE with the movie, i remember that arcade really rocked, kinda like double dragon but with 4 guys!!!

Lets see what happens.

El Chuxter
08-31-2001, 12:35 PM
Bel-Cam, I highly recommend watching the first movie. It's pretty close to the old comics (the storyline is a cross between issues 1, 10, the Leonardo one-shot, and the Return to New York story arc). Parents complained about the violence, though, and 2 and 3 were toned down, though #2 is still a fairly good movie. The third one just sucks.

GNT, did you know that the Shredder appeared in only two stories of the original series? He died in his first appearance, and a clone returned a couple of years later. But he became the dominant baddie in the cartoon (except for a completely wrong version of the TCRI aliens that they dubbed Krang), and he's the closest thing to an archfoe the Turtles ever had in the comics.

Did anyone read the comics after it started being published by Image Comics? I picked up one issue, and it was all messed up. Donatello was a cyborg, Raphael wore Shredder's armor, Leonardo had only one arm (though I think this was a result of the final story arc published by Mirage), and Michaelangelo was practically engaged to Horridus from The Savage Dragon. Lousy stuff, and apparently everyone else thought so, since it was canned after less than 15 issues.

JediTricks
08-31-2001, 12:46 PM
Isn't TMNT being put out occasionally by, of all strange things, Archie Comics? I love Archie comics, but this one makes NO sense - I know they were putting out TMNT comics at least at some point in the past few years.

JediCole
08-31-2001, 03:46 PM
I have seen similar news about the Turtles in a more serious, gritty, and mature audience oriented venue on Ain't it Cool News, a sight well known for eschewing rumors, no matter how great they may be or how many hits there presence may garner the web site. If Harry Knowles is reporting this, it is true (bearing in mind that anything in the movie biz is subject to being scrapped at a moments notice (i.e.; Batman Year One, scrapped in favor of World's Finest, who isn't pumped about seeing Cloony's Batman play against Superman in the same movie!).
The report I read suggested something more in keeping with Eastman and Lairds original tales and not the watered down for kids version that gained them popularity and fame. Many felt the pair had "sold out" when their mature property became the stuff of Saturday morning, but I find that a shallow interpretation. Eastman and Laird spent their life savings to produce the premiere issue of TMNT, a gutsy move indeed. I don't begrudge them their success in the least. The Turtles were not the product of a corporate giant like Marvel or DC, engineered to appeal to a predetermined demographic and projected to make a mint. No, those "heroes on the half-shell" came from humble beginings. Like a garage band that now tours the nation and the world, they deserve every iota of thier success.
And we have to bear in mind that without the commercial success of both the cartoons and the previous films, a movie that addressed the harsh and gritty, pull-no-punches original Turtles would NEVER be considered.
Finally, I have to agree with El Chuxter about the first movie, it is actually a pretty good adaptation of the turtles for the big screen and a decent first outing.

El Chuxter
08-31-2001, 03:59 PM
JT--
Archie published a mini-series and then a regular series entitled Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures during the Turtles' heyday. It was toned down for kids (with Krang and the multi-colored headbands), but still quite enjoyable--and not entirely in the brainless way the TV cartoon was enjoyable.

JediCole
08-31-2001, 04:06 PM
Right you are, Jedi Tricks, Archie Comics did in fact publish a TMNT comic, "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures". Archie Comics' version was published simultaneously with Mirage's standard (original) Turtles comic, but Archie took on the TMNT cartoon Turtles ("Adventures" had become the standard term for any comic based on an animated series, i.e.; "Batman Adventures" based on his animated series). This allowed the Turtles to reach two different audiences without Mirage having to sacrifice the integrity of the original by publishing companion versions. Also the wholesome Archie Comics imprint avoided confusion on the part of parents buying the book for thier children. Esentially there were two Turtles "universes" out there, the original, dark and dirty, black & white independant comic version and the bright, colorful cartoon version that came back to its origins through the venue of Archie Comics.
Hope that helps.

GNT
09-01-2001, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
GNT, did you know that the Shredder appeared in only two stories of the original series? He died in his first appearance, and a clone returned a couple of years later. But he became the dominant baddie in the cartoon (except for a completely wrong version of the TCRI aliens that they dubbed Krang), and he's the closest thing to an archfoe the Turtles ever had in the comics.

I know he appeared in the first two movies. In the first one he fell off the building and into that machine (?) and are you saying that for the 2nd movie he was a clone or did somehow he survived after falling into that machine?

Why didn't they have Bebop and Rocksteady in any of the films?

Its been so long since I've seen them and thank god that it'll be a new start :)

JediTricks
09-01-2001, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
who isn't pumped about seeing Cloony's Batman play against Superman in the same movie! Me. I thought George Clooney was the worst of all Batman actors in the past 50 years (thus discounting the 1940s serial actor).

I didn't know about the Archie ones running at the same time as the Mirage ones, in some of the Archie Digests from the late '90s, they have ads for new TMNT comics, so I thought they came afterwards.

JediCole
09-01-2001, 10:03 AM
JediTricks,
I have bad news for you. George Cloony is under contract for not one but two more Batman films. World's Finest being the first.

For my money, in costume, George Cloony looks more like Batman than Batman himself! Plus, you may be judging Cloony by virtue of the dreadful film that marked his entry into the franchise. A poor and convoluted story, an almost cartoon fantasy approach, and terrible directing all around led to the demise of "Batman & Robin" and almost the entire Batman franchise. Tim Burton is the kind of director one can let loose on all aspects of the production,
Shoemaker proved that he is most certainly not.

GNT,
El Chuxter is suggesting nothing about the Shredder in the movies, but is merely pointing out that, like so many comic characters that wind up capturing the imagination of filmmakers who adapt them, appeared in only two issues of the comic. His point? Shredder, in the comics, was not exactly what you would call one of the major focal points of the series. Yet he was tapped as the primary villain for the cartoon and the films. Who knows under what circumstances Shredder reappers in the second film, having not seen it myself, I hesitate to speculate.

As for Bebop and Rock Steady not appearing in the films, I would suspect it is a matter of licensing. This is where things get a little tricky in the tangled web of legal matters. Mirage Studios, Eastman and Laird own the TMNT license lock, stock and barrel. However, when they sold the cartoon production rights to Surge (I believe that was the company) Marketing, the production company owned the right to use any existing characters at that point for the cartoon (i.e.; the four turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Casey Jones, etc.) and could supplement them with characters of thier own creation (i.e.; Krang, Bebob, Rock Steady, Baxter Stockman, etc.). When Playmates licensed the property for the master toy license, they bought the rights to Surge Marketing's catalog of characters and often cross licensed with other independant comics studios for thier characters to supplement the line (i.e.; Usagi Yojimbo, Panda Khan, etc.). Now, when it came time to make a feature film, it appears that the studio took the cheaper route of licensing the catalog of Mirage Studios owned characters, thereby having access to the aforementioned characters and April O'Neil. It appears that the visual reference colored masks were the only convention "borrowed" from the cartoon, but since they did not purchase the rights to the cartoon characters, the beast-man henchmen were shut out of the production.

JediTricks
09-01-2001, 11:10 AM
Granted, Schumacher is a terrible human being for making "Batman & Robin" such a horrendous film, but Clooney was totally wooden in the Bat-costume and totally... well, CLOONEY when he was being Bruce Wayne. I didn't feel ANY of that charisma that Michael Keaton brought to the role in 1989, no charming, humorous playboy facade hiding a core of deep-rooted pain, anger, and seething for vengence, all I saw with Clooney was his standard performance without any undertone whatsoever. As for his look, it's my opinion that Val Kilmer had a much better Bruce Wayne look, and every actor who's worn the cowl since '89 has looked just lost in latex. And not that this is a newsflash, but Clooney ain't getting any younger, and he was the oldest-looking actor to play the part since season 3 of the TV show. ;) Plus, do you really think audiences will flock back to the actor who played the lead in the WORST BATMAN MOVIE EVER? I don't even think Warner Brothers is that stupid, though the very production of "Batman & Robin" should tell me otherwise. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2001, 11:53 AM
Uh, I still don't know the name of the robot. Is it Gizmo? That sounds about right. I think it was from an outer space issue. He had a one-shot issue, too, right?

El Chuxter
09-03-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Uh, I still don't know the name of the robot. Is it Gizmo? That sounds about right. I think it was from an outer space issue. He had a one-shot issue, too, right?

I think you're talking about Fugitoid. I remember him being kinda cool, but don't remember much about him. :)

JediCole, Baxter Stockman and his Mousers appeared in issue #2 or #3 of the original series (I'm pretty sure it was #2, since it was April's first appearance as well). However, he was absolutely nothing like the fly mutant from the cartoon.

And for the record, Clooney looked the most like Batman of the actors since 1989, but Keaton did a better job (partly because his movies had better scripts and direction). Also, I have no idea how he looks, but (if he looks as Batmanish as he sounds), Kevin Conroy, the voice from the Animated Series, should be the next Batman.

Fulit
09-03-2001, 07:22 PM
Hmm, if they do make a new one, I wonder what crappy, flash-in-the-pan, B.S. rap "artist" they'll have do the soundtrack and appear in the film. ;)

JediTricks
09-04-2001, 09:30 AM
No accounting for bat-taste, eh Chux? ;) I'll just chalk that one up to "personal tastes" for ya.

Kevin Conroy actually does have a good look for Batman, IIRC, but more like the late-80s comics style of Batman, not the '90s cartoon one(s). He's already getting pretty old in hollywood terms (46) to play the Bat, and Warner seems to want a big name as the character in any film.

JediCole
09-04-2001, 11:12 AM
Love him or hate him, it looks like you are stuck with Clooney for at least two more Bat-films. For the record I think that Clooney is the most Batman-like in costume. However his Bruce Wayne fell quite short. In all fairness to he and Val Kilmer, they both had a poor Bat-director. As far as overall appeal, my money is still on Keaton. And believe me, when I heard he was awarded the role I was tempted to pass on the first movie all together. And I think that Warner Brothers felt most people might think that way too, look who got top billing! But as the date of the premiere approached, the idea of Keaton ("Mr. Batman" as he was being maligned at the time) as Batman began to grow on me. And I found that I did indeed love him in the role and looked forward to Batman Returns. Of course Nicholson was the ideal choice for the Joker and buzz is that he is keen to reprise the role (hopefully in World's Finest). I had long before the first Batman film cast Danny DeVito as the Penguin so I was thrilled that he got the role.
So for those of you who think that I prefer Clooney to Keaton, there you have it, I simply do not. But visually, in costume, as Batman, Clooney had the look. And speaking of early fan resistance to Keaton as Batman, and it was widespread, making the post-facto love of Keaton in the role (my own included) all the more ironic. Before its release almost everyone hated that he was going to don the mantle of the Dark Knight Detective. Afterward, and moreso in the wake of two subsequent Bat-actors, everyone pines for Keaton in the role. I bring this up in reference to the (rumored) unlikely choice to play Superman opposite Clooney's Batman in World's Finest, John Travolta. I think that if this is true, his casting would meet resistance that will rival that of Keaton's. I must admit I find him an unusual choice, but I think that his performance could grow on audiences the same way Keaton's did. My dream version of World's Finest, regardless of who plays Superman would be to pit the pair against Nicholson's Joker and Lex Luthor played by Christopher Walken!

El Chuxter
09-04-2001, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
And for the record, Clooney looked the most like Batman of the actors since 1989. . . .

:eek: Good lord and butter! Did I make such a heinous typo? I meant Kilmer looked the most like Batman! Clooney looks like a bad 1990s version of Adam West, without the camp appeal.

I attach an icon of shame, since it's difficult to change them for only one post. :)
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/images/avatars/Sy_Snootles.gif

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2001, 02:53 PM
Fugitoid! Yeah, that's it. I know I can alway scount on El Chuxter to know everything. Now, where is that paper I misplaced? ;)

So, the I.O.S. are not yet dead...

master jedi
09-04-2001, 03:20 PM
I heard about this new Ninja Turtles movie a long time ago at darkhorizons.com(i think) but was too lazy to post anything about it.

If they are making it I sure hope the fighting doesn't suck as much as it did in the first three movies.

Brave Sir Robin
09-04-2001, 10:01 PM
A CGI turtles flick would kick some serious ***! Especially if they had some of the awesome animation like in Shrek and Final Fantasy, and not the shellbacked Barney suits they wear in the old films.

Brave Sir Robin
09-04-2001, 10:08 PM
as for Batman, I think that Tim Burton, Micheal Keaton and Danny Elfman should get on it right now. Clooney is a great actor but Batman and Robin sucked beans, the friggin cartoons were darker and spookier, and Keaton just makes a better Bats. If Burton were to do something with The Scarecrow as a villain, I think you've got a winnah!

I think that an Usagi Yojimbo should appear in the Turtles Film. yep. uh huh. thats right.

GNT
09-05-2001, 01:23 AM
For me I like Val Kilmer the most as Bruce Wayne/Batman for me he does it as playing the character it was a pitty he didn't do B&R :(

El Chuxter
09-05-2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
If Burton were to do something with The Scarecrow as a villain, I think you've got a winnah!

Yes! Burton definitely has a thing for scarecrows in his films, so he should make Batman 5 with the Scarecrow. Who should play the good Dr (not Frasier) Crane? How about another Burton stalwart: Jonny Depp?

It'll never happen. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2001, 12:29 PM
I forget: was Scarecrow a qiuet, plotting villian, or one of those crazy, loose cannon ones? If it's the first, Christopher Walken would be great. For the crazy one, I'd go with Damon Wayans.

Other Bat-Villians not yet used:
Killer Croc
Clay Face
Tweedle Dee and Dum (NOOOOOO!!!!!!)
Man Bat (or was he a good guy?)
King Tut ( :p )

Burton was the ONLY good BM director, and Keaton was probably the best BW/BM combo.

master jedi
09-05-2001, 02:17 PM
I sure hope that Burton doesn't do to Planet of the Apes what he did to Batman. That would just be a crying shame.
I heard that they're going to make another Batman movie called Batman One or something like that.

In this new Turtles movie I heard that people are going to get killed during the fight scenes unlike the fight scenes in the first movies where people just got beaten up.

THE Slayer
09-05-2001, 03:59 PM
TMNT. Hey maybe you'll get chinese coreography a la, The muskateer,, lol. Honestly though I think it should be done Final fantasy style.

Batman,, Clayface would be cool with the scarecrow but he'd be all cgi and I would rather see the return of Pfifers catwoman or a decent poison ivy,, like in the cartoon. But Burton still gets my vote.

and about burtons other summer flick,, POTA. His version combined with Hestons actually comes ever so close to the novel. His ending was right on the money,, but the character development wasn't.

DarthQuack
05-14-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't believe a word you say Chux.

DarthQuack
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Who loves Michael Bay (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/28/cowabunga-michael-bay-to-revive-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/)? :)

El Chuxter
05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh, no. No. Sweet God in Heaven, no. :(

JediTricks
05-28-2010, 07:53 PM
My new theory is that Michael Bay is out to ruin all our childhoods since, as an adopted child, he didn't get to enjoy his biological parents buying him great toys. After he ruins TMNT, it'll be on to MOTU. I'm sure he wishes he could have been the one to ruin GI Joe, but one man can only wreak so much havoc at one time.

Lord Malakite
05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
After he ruins TMNT, it'll be on to MOTU.
Don't know about that, his TMNT involvement indicates he is working with Viacom at the moment. He might try to ruin Power Rangers first before moving on to MOTU given the Saban/Nickolodeon thing and Saban wanting to make a new Power Ranger movie.

Time for one of those Conan O'Brien SAT questions.

Michael Bay is to "classic kids shows" as
A. Uwe Boll is to "video games".
B. Bruce Kalish is to "Power Rangers".
C. Jay Leno is to "The Tonight Show"
D. David Spade is to "anything he is put in".