PDA

View Full Version : Toys R Us cares?!?!

sith_killer_99
04-06-2002, 12:47 PM
I just got a call from one of those "Telemarketers"!!!!

This was someone from TRU! They asked me a bunch of questions about my last visit (last Thursday).

They said that I will be getting a $5.00 gift certificate for answering the little "survey".

I had to laugh to myself.....FINALLY I get to tell SOMEONE from TRU how I feel about their TOTAL lack of selection in the SW area!

And that's just what I did. Not only that, but they asked me where I go to buy the SW items I can't find at TRU!

HAHAHA! Where else...WAL-MART! Let's face it, better prices, better selection, open 24hrs! Why should I buy anywhere else?

Looking at my (POTJ) collection, I realize that a full 95% of it came from Wal-Mart.

In fact, since Jan. I have bought, from Wal-Mart:

Han and Chewie 25th Ann. set
Luke and Leia 25th Ann. set
Ben and Vader 25th Ann. set
Eeth Koth
Zutton
FX-7
Imperial Officer
Rebel Trooper (Tantive IV Defender)
Queen Amidala (Black Gown)
Teebo
BoShek
R4-M9
Jango Fett (Sneak Preview)
Zam Wessel (Sneak Preview)
Clone Trooper (Sneak Preview)
R3-T7 (Sneak Preview)

Lego:
Jedi Duel with Yoda and Darth Tyranus

and I have found:

Jedi Starfighter (Sneak Preview)All the new LEGO sets except Jango's Slave 1!!!

I'm still not sure weather or not I want the Jedi Starfighter!

Has anyone else noticed that Wal-Mart seems to have been the great supporter of the POTJ line?

Sith Vicious
04-06-2002, 01:57 PM
Hmm. I always give a fake phone number when ever anyone asks for it. Guess someone else is getting my TRU calls. I have two TRUs and two Wal-Marts near me and I can't say either chain has particullarly impressed me. I've barely seen anything since the Shmi Skywalker wave. The 25th anniversary 2 packs are plentiful at both places. I've seen Zutton at both places and Eeth Koth at TRU. I've also seen the preview figures at both places. However I've never seen any of the following at either location:

Jedi Starfighter
Imperial Officer
FX-7 (although I did see him at a Target)
Rebel Officer
Royal Decoy
Bo Shek
R4-M9
Emporer's Wrath Vader
Luke X-Wing
Death Star Escape Han Solo
Teebo

Not a very impressive track record for either store, and I didn't even include the exclusive ships I've never seen.

JediTricks
04-06-2002, 02:03 PM
And this is why I screen my calls.

2-1B
04-06-2002, 02:15 PM
5 years ago when I worked for TRU during school, they always insisted those numbers wouldn't be used to call you. I guess some things change. ;)

I always thought the phone number thing was lame by itself, not to mention the privacy issues . . . so on my last day there I set a store "record" for consecutive non phone # entry, I easily topped 200 straight employees. Oh, they thought I was entering it but a quick "cancel" did the trick. :D It's my understanding that the (since fired) manager was not pleased with my pursuit. :happy:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-06-2002, 05:56 PM
I gotta sound off on this one. TRU rarely has anything before WM or Target. I've hardly ever found anything at TRU that another store hasn't already had at least a month ahead of time.

However, comparing employees from the major SW retailers (WM, Target, KMart, TRU, KB) in terms of helpfulness TRU wins hands down. In my experience WM and Target are very condescending and often flat out lie. KMart's people are nonexistent and KB are just ambivalent.

I've met more employee/collectors at TRU or at least those who know the lines and what is going on then at other retailers. While many could care less, I've come across several who have gone in the back to bring out cases.

Let's not forget that it's often only TRU that will get in clearanced stuff with prices much lower than originally tagged. Who on these forums hasn't benefited from their $10 AT-AT sales and the like?

I agree that the requests for phone numbers are annoying (I often give 555-1212 and so far not one has shown that they've caught on) but isn't $5 worth it if they do call?

Even though I'm really frustrated with the whole crappy distrubution thing right now, I'm glad that TRU is nearby.

OK JT, you can have your soapbox back now. :)

sith_killer_99
04-06-2002, 07:05 PM
I think both TRU and Wal-Mart have their uses.

TRU has the best clearance stuff, prices can't be beat. In fact most of my SW stuff from late 99 to early 01 was purchased at TRU. Swimming Jar-Jar, TC-14, and R2-B1 for $1.97 each, plus many more.

I too have had a TRU stockboy pull cases from the back for me. But that was in Hawaii, now that I'm in Kentucky, the employees seem to be less friendly. No ALOHA spirit I guess.

Wal-Mart has the best new stuff at the best prices. As I said before, 95% of my POTJ collection is from Wal-Mart.

I still hit TRU for the "Exclusives" I got the new AT-ST as well as a few TIE Interceptors when they hit.

I used the extra TIE's to trades for a B-Wing and a Y-Wing. :D

Target and K-Mart seem to get much less SW merchandise than Wal-Mart.

And KBtoys.....forget about it.

Sith Vicious
04-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Well I'd have to agree that the customer service is better at TRU. I can't say I've benefitted much from their sales. They've never had anything good for $1.97 when I've gone. I hear tons of stories about people getting armies of Commtech stormtroopers, but my TRU only had pegs of Greedos, Hans, and Lukes. They did have the Royal Starship for $50, but that's about it.

PCofmisfittoys
04-07-2002, 01:30 PM
As a TRU manager I ill shed some more light onto the subject. The phone numbers are used for many reasons. Where a store draws from in an area and also the people that give numbers get ads that are not widely put out. Those 5.00 coupons go as high as 50.00 during certain times and I've seen people come in and buy 300.00 worth of items with them alone. Also in the grand scheme of things you can complain to them about SW items all you want but SW is is not a destination item for any retailer anymore. Like Diapers and formula etc are. The private labels and high margin items are the key items. SW has no margin for any company and like most things it is for a small target audience overall.
Most TRU stores done carry a large selection of SW items because Hasbro hasn't shipped out times to fill the orders. Walmart and Target also have a less selection , and Walmarts get trucks daily where some TRu stores only get one a week.
I shop all three, because Walmart has layaway etc. and thank god TRU/Target doesn't . it's funny to hear people rave how much they love WalMart when they are driving other local comanies out and also there employee base is so large that the " Cherry Picking " that everyone loves to fall back on in an arguement , is 100 times greater at TRU.
Sure there's cherry picking going on i'm sure , but not SW..it's too common and other items are much more harder to locate. As a manager I try to work with collectors that come in to get what they need , be it SW or GiJoe. Although the snot nosed kid collector that comes in with an attitude that they run the place will get no special attention from me or my staff and they are often pegged to be someone to look out for. I believe it it's funny that people complain that dont try to be nice and ask questions about things or get to know the staff better so that they can get great items. Networking helps everyone..and if you dont network you'll always be that idiot that goes into Walmart every morning hoping to get that new figure.
I have made great relationships with collectors coming in and also other store managers to help myself and others. Displays are my pasion , so networking is a must...see you in the Isles. the balcony is closed.

JediTricks
04-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Ever since that lawsuit where Hasbro and TRU were accused of working together to commit market tampering, it seems like Hasbro's popular products get to TRU last instead of first, and I think this may be a concious effort to distance themselves from that "evil corporations consipiring to rip you off" image. I can honestly say that in the last few years, I have found less than 10% of my NEW Hasbro products at TRU whereas before the lawsuit, over 50%.

I think they should stop asking for phone numbers and start asking for zip codes if they want look less intrusive. Also, I really think they should ditch the current obnoxious "Concept 3000" floorplan (the X-islands) and go back to aisles.

Dave_Cameron
04-08-2002, 08:49 AM
Oh, is that what they call their floorplan? I think it's a terrible idea. From a retail standpoint it must be a complete nightmare! I can't imagine the shrinkage in those stores is going to be lowered by this! It only makes life easier for people who pilfer and steal things. They have provided them with more places to hide. Idiotic.

PCofmisfittoys
04-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Yep Tricks , the " x " was a pretty lame idea. I've went all over the country doing remodels and everyone agreed with the layout being stupid. I feel it was an idea before Elyers term of boss. The new kid central look will be even better, but overall you can never satisify SW fans..eithers there's not enough , or the the pricing is too high, or there's not one around...Collectors love to complain about something..( see im complaining about the complainers..lol)

El Chuxter
04-10-2002, 05:06 PM
So that's what the phone numbers are used for. I thought maybe it was a sales tracking thing like Target recently admitted to doing.

$5-$50, eh? I think I'll stop telling them I don't have a phone. :)

JediTricks
04-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Hey now, I think the current TRU floorplan is something ALL toy buyers can agree to complain about, not just SW collectors. ;) I never loved the Concept 2000 floorplan till Concept 3000 came into the Azusa TRU (first store to get both floorplans that I knew about, really sucks for that store because they're ALWAYS remodeling that place and then having to start over).

Chux, of course it's sales tracking! Just like your supermarket membership card giving you discounts, TRU tracks your purchases so they can better focus their advertising efforts to get you to buy more which streamlines costs which indrectly lowers prices. I don't even have a big problem with this sort of thing, I just wish TRU had a faster way of doing it than the current method.