PDA

View Full Version : Yellowing Stormtroopers, there IS an answer!

Taichi
04-06-2002, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but I'm sure if it isn't that somebody will move it.....

also, I'm not sure if anybody has discovered this method, but if you have, I apologize for wasting your time....

now on to the lesson:

Star Wars figures are made of two materials, the first, is regular plastic.......I'm not sure what the name is, but it is used in making the bodies of the figures.....but it's too brittle for making arms and legs....

the second, is PVC, which is the bendy plastic the figures arms legs, and head are made out of (And some accessories)

this is a low-grade plastic, that is prone to breaking down....and the white plastic is the wost, because as any SW collector knows, it's prone to yellowing....

well, the simple fact is, that it CAN be reversed!

yellowing occurs in the breakdown of the plastic, through sunlight bleaching (and artificial light bleaching), and through handling....the oils will draw it out.....and the PVC will also absorb it....

here's what you do......RE PLASTICIZE IT!!!

This is a tip from my MEGO collecting brethren at other forums, and shops....

buy a can of tool dip.....this is just LIQUID PVC!!!, coat the part in it, and then peel it back off, this will re-plasticize it, and also CLEAN it.......it may take several applications, but it will happen!, I have restored ALL my POTF2 Troopers (And Han and Luketroopers) using this method......and it even works on the vintage ones!!!!

I hope this helps!!!

SirSteve
04-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Excellent tip!

Taichi
04-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks, SirSteve.....

I used to come here with the old forums, but I must say, I like the new UBB format MUCH better!!!

It's good to be back!