PDA

View Full Version : Stoop making resculps!!!!!!!!

scruffziller
04-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Hasbro needs to stop with making multiple vesrions of the charachters with just slight differences. Bring out MORE charachters never relesed!!!!!!!!!

Beast
04-06-2002, 03:22 PM
It depends on the figure, but sometimes re-sculpts are necissary. Compare figures like the E1 Boss Nass and the POTJ version for proof of that. Same goes for the POTF2 abomination Rebel Fleet Trooper compared to the POTJ version. And how about the POTF2 Slave Leia, compared to the excellent POTJ one.

Not to mention how almost every resculpt of Chewbacca, Darth Vader, or Jar Jar Binks was better then the previous versions. I could go on and on, but re-sculpts are not always a bad thing.

Sure they went a little overboard on Luke: Tatooine, Darth Maul, and E1 Obi-Wan Kenobi. But some of those resculpts are vastly superior versions. I don't consider all the Jango Fett's coming out a problem yet, since we are only getting 5 this year. But if they start doing him next year as well, then they need to stop.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 03:29 PM
They can't stop making resculpts until they make a new R2 with the body mold that's currently being used on astromechs and a new R5-D4!

scruffziller
04-06-2002, 04:21 PM
I do agree some of the resculpts and versions are cool like Dagobah Darth Vader and Emperor's rath Vader but Boss Nass
Sacred Place was not nessesary those type versions is what I am talking about.

Beast
04-06-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I do agree some of the resculpts and versions are cool like Dagobah Darth Vader and Emperor's rath Vader but Boss Nass
Sacred Place was not nessesary that version is what I am talking about.
Boss Nass Gungan Sacred Place isn't necissary? I'm not attacking you, but have you compared the E1 version with the charecter from the movie? He's no where near in scale with the charecter from the movie. He's the same height or slightly taller then Jar Jar Binks, and the E1 figure made him a midget. Plus he wasn't at all sculpted accuratly. He was the absolute worst figure in the original E1 figure releases.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-06-2002, 04:44 PM
I agree with JJ on that last one. The E1 Boss Nass was the worst figure in the line.

I don't mind resculpts if they're improvements over their previously released counterparts. I for one would like a lot of resculpts, especially in the Hoth and Endor versions of the older POTF2 guys. Of course it would be nice to say that Hasbro should get it right the first time, but realistically, with the improvements in action figures, like real scan, it wouldn't have been possible to make an accurate Luke back in 95. Even with all the versions of Qui-Gon and E1 Obi-wan, there is still room for a vast improvements. I would personally like better sculpted action-posed versions of Naboo Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

You also have to realize that Hasbro does try to market these towards kids. Kids know who Darth Maul is, and would want an action figure of him. But what 12 year old knows of Djas Puhr?

Battle Droid
04-06-2002, 04:46 PM
Resculps we need,

OOM-9 (with mini Nute and Rune holos, Jar Jar Binks's idea)
Infantry Battle Droid (folds up)
Destroyer Droid (folds up)

Rollo Tomassi
04-07-2002, 09:58 AM
I'm all for stooping resculpts. Yeah, later versions of Vader and Chewie are better than earlier versions, but we didn't think they were better until AFTER we got them. I would have been perfectly content with removable helmet Vader if it meant getting brand new obscure characters like Hem Dazon.

Rogue II
04-07-2002, 11:13 AM
I'm wondering if Hasbro thinks they need to make boatloads of Luke, Vader, R2-D2, and Darth Maul in order to keep the line profitable, and that the sales from these fund the new obscure figures.

If that's the case, I don't mind because some of the new resculpts are much better than the earlier versions. As everyone has pointed out, there are many POTF2 (and episode 1)characters that need resculpts.

However, do we need every background character in the movies? We have 5 versions of Ewoks, 4 different Jawas, and 3(going on 4) Tusken Raiders, is that enough? I've actually had to go back to the movies and watch very closely to see some of the new characters coming out lately and I still haven't found all of them, like Djas Puhr(a little help on that by the way.:) )

Wolfwood319
04-07-2002, 11:56 AM
I like getting cool background characters as figures, but I'd rather have a nice looking Qui-Gon first. If it takes 8 resculpts to get a Qui-Gon right, so be it. I'd take that over one Djas Puhr. Of course I'd rather get a good Qui-Gon and a Djas Puhr at the same time. I agree though that it got out of hand with some of those Tatooine Lukes though.

Rollo Tomassi
04-08-2002, 08:40 AM
Rogue II, that's exactly the case. The "core" characters of Luke, Han, Leia, R2-D2, C-3po, Vader, and Obi Wan usually find themselves into every other wave. These are seen as highly recognizable characters and as Hasbro sees it, they have to keep these characters in figure circulation to "guarantee" returns on the toy line. it's a safe bet kids will buy Luke or Han before the buy Yarna D'al Gargan. (sorry Jargo:( ) This doesn't mean Hasbro won't MAKE the obscure characters (there's hope Jargo!:) ) but they often rely on resculpts of the major characters to increase profits.

JEDIpartner
04-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I'm wondering if Hasbro thinks they need to make boatloads of Luke, Vader, R2-D2, and Darth Maul in order to keep the line profitable, and that the sales from these fund the new obscure figures

Part of what's going on also is to keep attracting new buyers. My friend's son JUST discovered STAR WARS (with my help, of course) last year. He is 8 years old and had a hard time finding some of the "old" sculpts. My friend was able to get her son a new Han, Luke and Leia just so he could have AT LEAST 1 of each of the OT characters. For as much as I hate resculpts, I can see the necessity of them. How would you like to be a kid and NOT have Luke or Han? That would totally suck. I know I certainly wouldn't want to pay a "collectors" price for a figure just so my kid could have it and "destroy" it from play.

Jargo
04-08-2002, 05:47 PM
On the contrary Jedipartnr, as a kid I hated the human characters and craved the alien background characters. Which luckily there were plenty of in the vintage line. I would have taken a Cane Adiss figure over a Hoth Han any day.

I can see the need for a toy company to secure returns with every wave. It would be suicide not to include some core character. but it's the choices that are screwy. So many Darth Maul's are not necessary when it was quite apparent that his role in the movies is marginal and nominal. A high quality Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan with superb detailing and in a new pose and possibly with their robes hoods up would have got me interested. but another maul with some lame ever so slight sculpt difference is just ludicrous. The carded version of the final duel Maul is ever so slightly different from the twin packed one with Obi-Wan who is ever so slightly different than the soft goods Obi-Wan and they all should never have been made. It was overkill and thankfully Hasbro realised that after sales slumped.

Hopefully despite the plethora of jango resculpts already, we won't see too many resculpts clogging up collections apart from maybe five or seventeen Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme figures......

Wolfwood319
04-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Jargo is right on that last one. With the originals, "soft-goods,'' and the early POTJ incarnations of Obi-Wan and Maul, it did get a little annoying.

But for the majority of POTJ, we hardly got any resculpts. Only 2 Lukes, both of which were original. 1 Han that is considered by many to be the best to date. 2 chewies, one so-so (dejarik) and the Mechanic Chewie that is the best sculpted Chewie yet. 2 Leias. So it seems that in a movie year, you can look forward to a handful of resculpts of the major characters, but later on they get sparse. So again, I don't mind resculpts when they're better than their predecessors, but in cases like "soft goods" obi-wan, etc. I think that we'd be better off without them.

I too had hopes for this Qui-Gon, as they have yet to produce a good Qui-Gon, IMO. I still will probably get this one, only to have a 2-handed robed Qui-Gon for my scenes. But I'm not as impressed as I'd like to be.

Rogue II
04-08-2002, 07:56 PM
Since I only collect OT figures, I'm not concerned about the Episode 1 or 2 figures.

I can understand why Hasbro made so many Darth Mauls, he's cool looking just like Boba Fett was back in 1980. Think about it. They both had very few lines, each are in a couple scenes, and roles were "nominal and marginal" as Emperor Jargo put it. If Empire Strikes and ROTJ came out in today's market, they would be cramming us full of Boba Fett. Then again, they probably will in Episode 2 & 3.

I think the majority of kids do want the main characters. However, with other figures like GI Joe, Pokeman, Lord of the Rings, Power Rangers, and all of the Superheros, why would they want figures from movies that came out 25 years ago?

Of the 4 nephews and cousins in my family under the age of 12, 1 has a passing interest in Star Wars, 1 is a Darth Vader fan, and the other 2 really don't care and would rather play with their toy cars or whatever.

I wonder what kind of info Hasbro has about the demographics of the people who buy their Star Wars products.

RooJay
04-09-2002, 04:31 AM
If anyone at Hasbro sees this: DO NOT STOP MAKING RESCULPTS! Please. Just be more selective. We don't need more Tattooine Lukes, Qui-Gons, Ep. 1 Obi Wans, or Darth Mauls, but there are plenty of other figures that I think need a second go. Here's my list of figures that need redoing:

Jedi Luke (one as he first appears at Jabba's palace with a cloth cloak [and maybe with an endor helmet and cloth poncho thrown in to cover the bases] and one as he appears during the final duel aboard the Death Star with the gray flappy thing on his shirt down that can hold his lightsaber with both hands.)

Imperial Officer (I know this is a new one, but he's not wearing the right style of uniform and this would give you a chance to offer him in the gray color)

Hoth Han (with the right color [blue] poncho and hood up like he appears most often in this costume)

Bespin gown Leia (Princess collection version wasn't near goos enough)

Wedge Antilles (in Snowspeeder gear with removeable helmet of course; I must for all pilot figures in my opinion)

Wicket (the first wasn't accurate enough and was WAY too tall!)

Lobot (try smaller and less dynamic!)

Snowtrooper (again: smaller, but a bit more dynamic than the original)

Emperor Palpatine (not dark OR mean enough; although I'm sure we can all wait 'til Ep. 3 for this one)

Vader (this time the definitive version with removeable helmet, better likeness and armor sculpt, cloth cape and skirt, better/ more articulation, new style lightsaber, and properly scaled. Just do it right and we'll all be happy.)

Chewbacca (in scale for a change, and maybe with more articulation so he can hold his bowcaster right. The 25th anniversary version is a step in the right direction!)

Uncle Owen (I know it's a long shot, but your carded Aunt Beru came out so nice that it's a shame we don't have a comparable Owen. The first one you guys made is only barely passable!)

Dr. Evazan (C'mon now! Hasbro...C'mon!)

Adi Gallia (the first was pathetic and not even close!)

Dengar (Hey, what're you guys tryin' ta push on us? I would like to think the first one sat on the pegs because he was so awful and inaccurate. Bounty Hunters should sell better than that, and they should certainly look better!)

R5-D4 (you KNOW what I'm talking about!):mad:

...but, of course, by ALL means DO NOT make them IN PLACE OF new characters!

Wolfwood319
04-09-2002, 04:59 AM
Can't argue with any of your choices for the most part. I to agree that there are a lot of older POTF2 figures that I wouldn't mind resculpts of to be on par with the current quality of POTJ/Saga.

But the sad thing is too, with all the resculpts of Qui-Gon, TPM Obi-Wan, and some others, there still isn't a good Qui-Gon or TPM Obi-Wan out there. And I'm sure we'll get loads of resculpts of AOTC Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme too.

Other possible resculpts I'd be interested in;

Luke Dagobah- one of the first Lukes we got in the new line, never been resculpted

2-1B- I'd like to get an updated and accurate version of him to go with my Bacta Tank and FX-7

Hoth Rebel Soldier- old POTF2 sculpt just doesn't look right with new figures

Luke Hoth - Too bulky, can't do much with the one we have now

Now, please keep in mind, these are just figures I'd be interested in seeing resculpted.

Rogue II
04-09-2002, 07:01 AM
I'm for all cloth capes/robes on any future character. Like on the last Lando from POTJ.

Hey, Uncle Owen is poseable, if you like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.:D AH AH AH AH, Stayin' Alive.

You figure the they made 3 POTF2 Hoth Lukes, they would have got one of them right. (Carded, w/ Wampa, and w/ Tauntaun). But I am sure that there will be plenty of more Lukes on the way, starting with that new Bespin Luke.

Lets try to stay away from getting any more Ewoks. 5 is enough. Yub Yub!

I'd like to see more droids (besides R2-D2 and C-3PO!) I'm going to have to go look at my 2-1B again, I didn't think he was all that bad, but since POTJ has raised the bar for new sculpts, maybe he does.

Darkross
04-09-2002, 10:35 AM
I love that new Luke Bespin Duel figure. Nice pack-ins too! I can hardly wait for this one to hit the shelves! Still waiting for an Emperor's Wrath Jedi Luke, and Endor Capture Jedi Luke! Those are my votes! Would be nice to have a new snowtrooper too.

RooJay
04-09-2002, 05:12 PM
Wolfwood319, I'm with you regarding the Dagobah Luke! The others I can live with though.

jobi
04-11-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I'm wondering if Hasbro thinks they need to make boatloads of Luke, Vader, R2-D2, and Darth Maul in order to keep the line profitable, and that the sales from these fund the new obscure figures.

If that's the case, I don't mind because some of the new resculpts are much better than the earlier versions. As everyone has pointed out, there are many POTF2 (and episode 1)characters that need resculpts.

However, do we need every background character in the movies? We have 5 versions of Ewoks, 4 different Jawas, and 3(going on 4) Tusken Raiders, is that enough? I've actually had to go back to the movies and watch very closely to see some of the new characters coming out lately and I still haven't found all of them, like Djas Puhr(a little help on that by the way.:) )

he was in the cantina in ANH

bigbarada
04-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Dagobah Luke is a much needed resculpt, but pack him with Yoda since the bubbles are now so much bigger. Who knows, maybe for ESB's 25th?

A new, more accurate 2-1B packed along with the medical console he used. Should be designed to fit in perfectly with Bacta Luke and FX-7.

A resculpt of the TIE Pilot is a must!!! He looked good in 1996, but he just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

SNAYSON
05-07-2002, 02:46 PM
resculps are cool, BUT bring on the figures not yet made! At least keep the realease of resculps to a minimum and give us the characters not yet made into figures!:D