PDA

View Full Version : New Snowspeeder

KiValleyTiger
04-06-2002, 04:35 PM
I was able to get the new Snowspeeder yesterday. I missed the original one so I could not compare it. It is a nice vehicle, I wish the damage effects are removeable stickers so we can get the clean version. I'm a little bit disappointed with the figures, especially Luke. I might be wrong, but this fig. is exactly like the original X-Wing Luke with a very small differences here and there. I thought the reason of Hasbro making POTJ line is to get a more propotional figure. Why not using the mold from the latest X-Wing Luke, I don't understand???? And Dack looks like the original Wedge (from the carrying case). Any one else has comments?

Beast
04-06-2002, 04:49 PM
It's not exactly the original Luke: Snowspeeder Gear. Note: I refuse to call that figure X-Wing Gear. Because it was molded with the heavy jacket with thick collar on. The arms and legs are from that version, the chest is from the Wedge figure from the cinema scene and the groin piece is an all new sculpt. The collar is just a small piece that is held in place by the head.

The reason they didn't use the new Luke: X-Wing Gear, is because of the fact the figure needed to be in a more bulkier outfit, like they wore on Hoth. Not to mention Luke was a little less puny by the time ESB rolled around. The POTJ Luke: X-Wing is pretty much a movie specific version of his X-wing outfit.

By the way, here is the differences between the 1995 Luke: Snowspeeder Gear, and the version that comes with the POTJ Crashed Snowspeeder. :)

1995 "X-Wing" Luke: Light grey boots. Torso has hose sculpted on it. Leg straps painted white, no other straps. Chest computer has two blue lights. Brown belt w/ buckle. Collar is sculpted to body, is not well defined.

POTJ Snowspeeder Luke: Dark grey boots, bullets not painted. Torso hose a separate piece. Straps painted grey, also runs down body from chest computer thing. One blue and one red light, plus sharper sculpting. Grey belt, no buckle. Collar is a sepratly molded piece.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
04-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Actually JJB, I don't they ever called it "Luke: X-wing Gear" I think it was just "Luke: Pilot" but I could be wrong.

The new Hoth pilot Luke looks much better than the POTF2 version, although one thing they got wrong again, is the visor isn't there. They should've at least taken the helmet thing from the POTJ Luke and for the heads instead of making alot of head detail they could've just put on the face and then the rest of the head would be wrapped in that fire-suit hood. (I guess it's a fire suit, either that or long underwear.)

Beast
04-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Actually JJB, I don't they ever called it "Luke: X-wing Gear" I think it was just "Luke: Pilot" but I could be wrong.
The 1995 figure was released as: "Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Fighter Pilot Gear". Here is a picture from Sir Steve's archives of the carded figure. Sir Steve doesn't have a good picture of the orange carded version, but the green card carried the same name. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-06-2002, 06:15 PM
Well even using the POTF bodies they could have at least used the POTJ head so he didn't look like a mong. What is with that staring into nowhere space head? Looks like the kind of guy you'd give a wide berth to and walk on the other side of the street to avoid being talked at. Dack looks ok in comparison but again with the bad molded on helmet he looks duff. They could have used the Wedge head from the cinema scene with slight alteration and a new helmet deco. Got nothing against the bodies because they do after all have to fit the snowspeeder cockpit and the figures tend to rattle around in there so the bulkier body is good in my opinion. But the heads..... Yeesh! *shudder*
The snowspeeder itself which I saw pics of unboxed and from multiple angles last night is just superfly! I have to get one now. I gave my nephew my POTF version because at the time I was pushed for space and wasn't collecting anything Hoth. But since then I've been hunting for a good price on the POTF one but may have to settle for this instead and customise to my requirements. Great looking deco too I don't mind the battle damage or wear and tear look when it gets done properly like this. I just hate seeing blaster streaks up a ship that are just a big splotch of black spray done by a trained monkey - or untrained I guess... :D

fourtwo
04-06-2002, 06:27 PM
that dack is pretty smooth looking

KiValleyTiger
04-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the explanation and the attachment, JJB. I forgot about that he was on Hoth:

The reason they didn't use the new Luke: X-Wing Gear, is because of the fact the figure needed to be in a more bulkier outfit, like they wore on Hoth.
But they should make the figure shorter, as tall as the Luke X-Wing. And I agree with EJ, they should use the new head (we don't want to use old Leia head anymore, right?).
Probably Hasbro should call this Clone Luke ;).

GeneralKenobi
04-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Jargo, I gotta ask this question and forgive me for my ignorance...What the heck is a mong?

Jargo
04-07-2002, 01:51 PM
(Mongoloid) Originally the term was a big insult infering that a person had the intelligence level of someone with Downs syndrome. (which was on the erroneous assumption that Downs syndrome sufferers were unintelligent) This was back in the non PC 70's. But over time that changed so it now simply refers to anyone and anything as just bad, stupid or useless. This Luke looks like a Mong because he looks stupid and vacant like he has the attention span of a May fly.
I was at school with someone who looked like the POTF Luke and he was a daydreamer who stared vacantly out of the windows for hours at a time. He usually had a spaced out on medication look to him. Maybe I should have said Luke looked spaced out on medication instead? Anyway - he still looks crap. :D A carded Luke Hoth with an all new sculpt would be great. Or maybe just a generic Hoth rebel pilot with POTJ quality detailing and a removable helmet to show the inner cloth cap the pilots wear. maybe it could be a Dack or Zev Senesca or Hobbie Klivvian or Wes Janson or........... :happy:

GeneralKenobi
04-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info...I'll have to remember that term for future use.

Jayspawn
04-07-2002, 06:41 PM
I'm still looking for it.

mista_carrot
04-09-2002, 11:03 PM
Ugh...What I hated most about the older POTF2 rebel pilot heads was the fact that the helmets were so damn small. How can their heads even fit in those things? If Hasbro isn't going to give us removeable helmets they could at least give us helmets that are scaled correctly.

JEDIpartner
04-10-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Maybe I should have said Luke looked spaced out on medication instead?

Or he looks "tranqued" as in "tranquilised"... :D