PDA

View Full Version : What was the best thing you've passed up and kicked yourself for later?

08-30-2001, 08:41 PM
I got to thinking that this would be good therapy for all of us who have blown our one big chance, or chances, only to regret it later.
For example: My white whale used to be the POTF orange carded Jawas. I was at a Wal-Mart looking for anything new and not expecting much. After spending a few moments searching, a guy comes up and plucks this rare fig right off the peg! We talked for a few minutes and I laughed it off. as We were talking this boy comes up and asks if there are any left. I tell him, "Nope, I looked pretty hard, I think he found the only one, sorry." We all go are seperate ways, and as I'm walking by the aisle just a few minutes later I see the kid walk out with ANOTHER Jawas! I couldn't beleive it - he had obviously stashed one somewhere and came back as soon as we left. I had been out-smarted by an 11 year old! Oh well, I hope he had fun with it.
Other misses: an 80's Micro Machine Falcon (passed it 'cause it wasn't complete) an original A-wing (he wouldn't sell it to me for $20) and a remote controlled sandcrawler (because it didn't have the remote). I ended up buying a bunch of stupid mini-rigs! (I DID get a complete Luke Stormtrooper for $3 so I guess I wasn't all bad!)

PloKoon2385
08-31-2001, 12:07 AM
That stupid Darth Vader with removable helmet! I saw him at Target at retail price and I didn't buy him because I instead bought a Batman 4-Pack!1 ARG!:mad:

Lone Jedi
08-31-2001, 12:18 AM
A few things: AT-ST (U.S. box of course), SOTE Outrider, and the original 1995 X-Wing Fighter in the Green Box. If only I could go back...............

GNT
08-31-2001, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Lone Jedi
A few things: AT-ST (U.S. box of course

The thing about Australia is that all the rare things in america are usually shelf/pegwarmers here!

Worst thing would have to be not picking up the freeze frame fett every time I saw it because I had the first version!

JDMB16A
08-31-2001, 01:53 AM
Agggghhhhhh
Everytime I see that figure I feel like pulling my hair out,......I was lucky to get a few of them and the At-St driver when they first came out...I got a set for the Philp of Rebelscum.com and the extra I got sold to them to members of the Action figure Online Board 8-10.00 each...Not Knowing it was going to be a VHTF figure....I only kept Tie,and Fett...

And the Skiff at target,.....pass on those thinking those are going to be around..Until the Variation on Luke's Hand and I never saw them again.......

Oh Well....................

:rolleyes: JDM...

Obi-Don
08-31-2001, 08:12 AM
A bantha with a sandperson riding for $20.I hate myself!:mad:

OC47150
08-31-2001, 10:33 AM
Sio bibble, pit droids and battle Amidala. I didn't have enough money to get all of them, so I got the hooded Leia instead.

Also regret not picking up the primal scream Qui Gon and the extra Lukes and Tauntauns for $5 each.

JEDIpartner
08-31-2001, 10:42 AM
CTC Stormtrooper. I saw 3 of them and all the rifle racks were warped/bent, so I passed on them.

DUH!:(

pthfnder89
08-31-2001, 10:52 AM
Last year, I was at Target right about the time the Skiffs were first released and they had EIGHT of them all stacked up. That's right, EIGHT!

Well this was before we all found out how horrible Target was going to be with their exclusives, so I assumed that they would still have several the next day. I decided to just get one to open and come back another time for one to keep in box.

I bet ya'll can guess how many Skiffs I ever saw again at ANY Target.:(:(:(:(

Starfig873
08-31-2001, 10:53 AM
mm...I would have to say...the extra COMMtech Stormies that I saw at Toys R us one time...if I'd known just how hard to get they were, I would have tried to build an army of em'

pthfnder89
08-31-2001, 11:01 AM
About 5 months ago though I walked into TRU and found that they had opened about 10 cases of the Stormtrooper CTC wave and they were 1.98 each. I was honestly so happy I think I couldve wet myself, because I had had to order one off the net and it was one of my favorite figures ever.

I picked up about a dozen I think and I still wish I had gotten more.....

Pellaeon
08-31-2001, 11:16 AM
Well, the Jury is still out on this one, but I was thinking of picking up the Eopie/Qui Gon on E-bay when it was going for around $50 bucks. Now its up to $80plus. I'm not going to pay that. I will have to hope that they slip them out to some outlet shops. Otherwise, this completist will be missing this piece.

JediCole
08-31-2001, 12:49 PM
Vintage - Passed on the A-Wing repeatedly because it was released under the Droids imprint and not the new Power of the Force. Even though I opened all of my vehicles, I refused to buy something from Droids. Also the original Skiff. I only ever saw it at Circus World (a now-defunct in-mall toys store), a store notorious for high prices. Decided to wait to find it at JC Penny, Toys R Us, Best, or Sears. Never happened and CW went out of business.

Modern - That is tough to define because pretty much anything I may have missed was because I never saw it in the stores to pass it up in the first place. I wish I had bought all four of the Skiffs that were available when I was at Target one day and the shelves were bare. As I was about to leave an employee rounded the aisle with a basket containing cases of toys including four Skiffs (I bought two, one for me, one for my best friend). But at the same time the guy had two cases of the (at the time) brand new Simpsons figures. I managed to buy two full sets of the first wave in one swoop (again for me and my friend). I probably sould have picked up more than four Fambaas at half price at FAO, but even at half price, those guys add up. But at least Sith Worm got to fill in a blank in his collection.

I never saw the Pit Droids 2-Pack (3.75"), Sio Bibble, Admiral Motti, Han Solo/Taun Taun, Trade Federation Battle Tank, Luke/Wampa, Darth Maul 12", R2-Q5, Falumpaset/Battle Wagon, or Eopie/Qui-Gon Jinn on store shelves. Through the help of Sith Worm, Bubba Fatt, and some eBay auctions I was able to buy all of these at or around regular retail prices. With the exeption of the Eopie & Qui-Gon Jinn which eludes me to this day. I have a Fambaa in reserve to trade for one should the opportunity arise.

Cool Han Luke
08-31-2001, 12:49 PM
Last year when the Y-Wings first came out I didn't think that they were that great looking and besides it was the time the 12" Speederbikes were out. One night I was at Target and there were 8 of them sitting on the shelf and I didn't care about them because I already had one and It never crossed my mind that an extra one could have been great trading bait for the future. The next day I ventured into another Target looking for the Speederbike again only to see another 5 Y-wings cluttering the space where the SpeederBike should have been. Ok enough Y-wings , where is the Speederbike?

jedicecil
08-31-2001, 05:24 PM
The first wave of 1995 orange-carded figures. I don't know how many times I passed that huge display at Walmart, thinking that they looked pretty stupid and that the line would definitely be dead after Christmas. In any case, I wasn't going to waste my money on toys. Then the madness began. I got the last orange Luke Skywalker from a bargain bin at Value City, and that was the last one that I have ever seen at retail. I started collecting just in time to avoid having to resort to scalpers.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2001, 11:16 AM
I'd forgotten. I'm no variant collector, but I saw a one-hand no-circle Fett in a K-Mart once. Obviously I did not buy it; well I did bye-bye it.

TeeEye7
09-02-2001, 04:02 AM
I passed on Amidala with ascension gun *sob*.....I'm still too traumatised to go on.......:(

dukes
09-02-2001, 05:00 AM
Would probably have to be the UK version of the AT-ST with Stormtrooper or UK Tie-Fighter with Stormtrooper or whatever they were.
Another has to be Orange Carded Boba Fett with nothing on either hands.......

Rollo Tomassi
09-02-2001, 11:28 PM
A friend and I saw the EU figures (Thrawn etc)at a gaming store so they were a wee bit higher in price and I told him to wait on them because I was thinking the SOTE stuff was around forever, this stuff would be too. We never saw them again. Well, we eventually got the figures we wanted but we had to pay thru the nose to get 'em (I don't think he ever got everybody he wanted.) Fast forward a few years, my friend is at target and sees the Skiffs are on sale. he comes home and tells me, but by the time I get there, pfffft. All gone. But the sales sign is still up, so I ask for a raincheck on two of them. I still have that raincheck slip....

The One
09-03-2001, 01:35 AM
A girl, not an action figure girl, just............... a girl :(

The One
09-03-2001, 01:44 AM
Now if you want to get technical, probably one of the most stupid things I did was to pass up the Weequay on freeze frame, you know, the one that went from retail to like $200 plus overnight. Anyways sometime a couple years ago, like right when they came out, everyone knew it was gonna go up, it already had started selling for more, then on yakface's page they had them at $7.00 a piece, listen to me, $7.00 a piece, he wrote on the website jump over there, they arent lasting long, well hey, I figured if one site has them, usually a few more follow, then the scalper/resale price drops, right? WRONG, a couple months later it was a $200 plus figure. I don't know how much it goes for these days, but I'll bet it's alot more then $6.99 :mad: yeah I'll definitly bet that. I knew I should have bought it then. Just out of curiousity did anybody else see that or do the same thing? My friend saw it, he bought a few, and for whatever it was 20-30 bucks he spent, he had 2 to keep, and the others he had bought, he traded off, and let me tell you, he didnt get 20-30 bucks worth of stuff in return :mad: he got like $400-$500 worth of stuff in return. I remember most was expensive but not so popular stuff that he had missed that never wanted to pay the prices for, other was hot new figures, YOU GET MY POINT, I should have bought the dam WEEQUAYS on the freeze frame carddddd. By the way, Pathfinder, your Target post was very funny ;)

Lobito
09-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Han, Chewie and the Emperor minted coin editions.

JediCole
09-04-2001, 07:27 PM
JediCecil,
Did you ever get the orange carded originals? Or do you still need them? I have found that some people have better luck than I do finding the new stuff (like Shmi Skywalker and the X-Wing Pilot Luke I want) but were too late for the orange cards (or even other later releases), so I have plenty to trade 1:1 for newer stuff...

OC47150
09-05-2001, 07:13 AM
I passed on ascenion gun Amidala, too. I cry myself to sleep every night about it.

Question: Is your local Target still carrying SW merchandise? There are seven Targets in my area, and two of them have rezoned for Christmas and there is no peg space for SW. I have to drive 20 minutes or so to find a Target with SW. Just wondering.

TeeEye7
09-05-2001, 07:32 AM
I haven't been to Target in over six weeks. Old Ben and Tusken Raiders were languishing on the pegs for months before that. I haven't been very aggressive in seeking out the new figs, either.....