PDA

View Full Version : Who likes "Whose Line is it Anyway"?

Grif
04-07-2002, 12:42 PM
I have been watching it for a couple of years and all of the ones that I have seen are funny. Does anyone else watch it?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2002, 02:27 PM
I've loved it since I saw the British version on reruns on Comedy Central in the mid-1990s! Now it's a little tame since not only is it on network TV, but it's a Disney-owned one. However, Ryan Stiles and Greg Proops are testing those boundaries all the time. Often, the shows are funny, but not really funny. Yet, there are episodes where I cannot breathe from laughing so hard! :eek: :o :D

2-1B
04-07-2002, 02:40 PM
I loved the old British episodes on CC, I think I started watching around 1994/5. :) I liked many of the people . . . Stiles, Mochrie, Proops, McShane, Slattery, Frost were my favorites.

But I don't watch the new Drew Carrey version, nothing personal - I just never got into it. But I have seen Wayne Brady do a few songs, those are awesome!

SithDroid
04-07-2002, 03:08 PM
I started watching the British Whose Line Is It Anyway back in 1993 or 1994, I can't remember. I loved it. The new American version is pretty funny sometimes, but here is what I don't like about the new version:

1) Drew Carrey. He is a horrible host for the show. Why don't they bring back the British Guy. He is so much more likeable. Drew Carrey is also a horrible improver. I hate the end of the show when Drew decides to get up and show off his "improv" abilities. You can definately tell that he is no match for the others on the show.

2) They hardly do any of their really funny skits anymore such as where they show an old movie and they have the guys make up the dialogue to the film. That is hilarious. Plus where they have one person stand behind another person and they become the other persons arms. They need to start doing these again.

Other than that I like it and try to watch it as often as I can.

jw_bryant
04-07-2002, 03:29 PM
i love that one where Colin acts out a scene and Ryan does the sound effects for it. also props is funny.
the funniest one ive seen is where they put the red squid thing on the floor with all the legs spread out, and one of them says, "maybe we should've told the Jester about the quicksand." :D

Dryanta
04-07-2002, 04:17 PM
I like the "american version" better than the british.Alot of the jokes I didn't get.
I enjoy the show all in all.It's the only thing on TV that is even somewhat clever.

LTBasker
04-07-2002, 06:01 PM
I started watching Whose Line not long ago because of the current Whose Line right now then I started watching the reruns on Comedy Central, both shows have their good parts and bad parts. Either way though, when Ryan and Colin do skits together, especially sound effects, it's always great! :cool:

DeadEye
04-07-2002, 10:16 PM
it's a funny show. :)

JediTricks
04-08-2002, 12:12 AM
I really tried to like the US version, but as funny as I think Drew Carey is with stand-up, I think he sucks as host of this show. The UK version is STILL funnier than most of the stuff I see on TV lately though.

2-1B
04-08-2002, 03:55 AM
JT, are you a fan of ALL the UK stuff? Personally, I did not care for the pre-Stiles, Mochrie, et al shows . . . maybe since I was a teenager I couldn't relate to the predominantly British humor. The "older" episodes were not as silly, they focused on more mature themes, like literary humor.

At least, that's how I remember it. :)

pthfnder89
04-08-2002, 12:19 PM
I also used to watch the British version in the mid 90s and I got SERIOUSLY hooked on it. Even got my dad hooked.:)

I loved that one and I think the American version is just about as good. Proops, Stiles and Mochrie were my favs back then so I'm glad they made the transition. And Wayne Brady simply blows them all away! He is literally the most talented Improve comedian I have ever seen. For some reason though, I just didn't like his ABC show at all. Is it still on?

I do miss one of the British women they had on the original show. She had great chemistry with the other cast members. I think they might have had her on the American version once but I can't remember.

The only show I actually had to turn off was an early episode when they had "Mimi" from the Drew Carey Show on. Now I think she's hilarrious on Drew Carey, but she was absolutely horrendous at improving. She mostly sat there and didn't say anything and when she did, she got NO laughs from the audience. Thankfully they stopped asking on friends who can't do the show:)

2-1B
04-08-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I do miss one of the British women they had on the original show. She had great chemistry with the other cast members. I think they might have had her on the American version once but I can't remember.

Josie Lawrence? I think that's whom you refer to. I do believe she did the American show a few times. :)

JEDIpartner
04-08-2002, 04:39 PM
They are really like twins separated at birth. Both are similar in many ways, but shaped by their environemts. It is true, Caesar, that the humour is stemming from two entirely different mindsets. I am a huge fan of British Comedy (Dawn French is a personal favourite) and either you get it or you don't. The same thing holds true for the Monty Python shows/films.

Fulit
04-08-2002, 05:08 PM
I absolutely would not watch this show at first; don't know why. Then, circumstances demanded that I have to sit w/ my 3 year old (whose B-day is today, Happy B-day, Ike!) during the mornings, and he demanded to watch "Whoose Line An-way". After initially dismissing it, I found myself laughing, and now I don't miss an episode if I can help it. Another example of the son being smarter than the father, I guess, in this case anyway.

Darth Cruel
04-08-2002, 06:00 PM
extend past the American (Drew Carey) version. But I watch that one whenever I can. It is the funniest thing on the tube right now. At least to me it is.

JediTricks
04-08-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
(whose B-day is today, Happy B-day, Ike!) Happy Birthday Ike! (Say Fulit, does the top of your kid's head detach from the rest at the mouth like a Canadian? ;) J/k, South Park reference, see attached image)

Caesar, having not seen all the UK stuff, I can't guarantee accuracy on my answer, but I haven't disliked any of the UK ones I've seen, though the earliest ones with Mike McShane were a bit weaker than later eps.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Whose Line is such a great show! I've seen the British version and I think there's no comparison. Maybe it's the cricket jokes or the talk about willies or whatever, but the American show is much better. The British host may give a better presentation, but Carey is so dopey it's good fodder for jokes by the comedians.

I haven't watched the show for a few months due to the last two Survivors coming on at the same time, but I've heard that the quality has somewhat diminished. The sound effects skits were really funny before they started having the audience members do them. Now all it is are Stiles and Mochrie bagging on two old ladies who can only make lame noises.

The best one hands down is the lame video dating service one when they just put on hats and pretend to be making the world's worst dating service video. Wayne Brady is also the cog that makes the whole show go. His singing and impressions are always dead on.

The one thing about the show that disturbs me is Greg Proops. Whenever I hear him talk, all I can think of is that dopey podrace announcer in EP1. "I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt."

Fulit
04-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Happy Birthday Ike! (Say Fulit, does the top of your kid's head detach from the rest at the mouth like a Canadian? ;) J/k, South Park reference, see attached image)

Thanks for the nod, JT! Poor little guy's too small to read the Forums, or I'm sure he'd say thanks too. Ha!, we've been making jokes related to South Park for 3 years now, (Kick the Baby, etc., j/k, like we ever would) but no one ever got it, mostly 'cause we're surrounded by people who think South Park is a city-run place in SouthWest Little Rock (Gangsta-ville). Hi-larious. Anyway, yep , even after 3 years, I'm not the only one who equates "Ike" w/ "South Park", funny you should mention it. But his head still doesn't detach, no matter how we pull at it! :crazed:

JediTricks
04-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Well, I saw a really unfunny ep of the British version today, and it had Ryan Stiles and Josie Lawrence and it was still really lousy! I'm guessing it was a fairly early one for Stiles, so that'd make it '89. The other 2 guys seemed so serious about their improv and they forgot the humor aspect, it totally threw the show off.

Fulit, keep pulling, I'm sure it's just on there tightly to keep him from looking Canadian. ;) :D It's weird how on the show, Ike now is the same age but in kindergarten and last week, he went and told on his brother - it's like they're trying to give the kid an evolving personality.