PDA

View Full Version : Slave Leia Bust

bigbarada
04-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Another of my brother's sculpts. This one he made for a friend of his in Hong Kong (the owner of Larbel Plasmablades:eek: ). Really beautiful work!

My brother is also featured as the Customizer of the Week on www.thejawa.com check it out and let him know what you think.

JediTricks
04-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Goodness gracious! I'm not a fan of busts - statues with partial torsos and no arms or bodies freak me out - but that is incredible work. Outstanding! It amazes me how good this is, I can't imagine a SW licensee putting anything this good out on the mass-market.

SirSteve
04-09-2002, 06:26 PM
VERY GOOD WORK INDEED! I would like to get more involved in customizing, meaning displaying talent. Would this be something everything would like to see?

Wolfwood319
04-09-2002, 06:44 PM
That is incredible! Is this the same project your brother was working on last year? I remember a thread about something your brother was working on that was in it's first stage of production or something.

bigbarada
04-09-2002, 08:07 PM
Wolfwood, that project was an Aurra Sing bust that my brother is still working on (he's trying to find a acceptable solution to making the hair look lifelike). The thread where I bragged about that one is in this section somewhere.

He started on this project late last year (he goes to college full time).

Thanks for the compliments, I will try to upload better pictures of his Nikto bust and Grand Moff Tarkin bust. He plans to make busts of Bossk, Barada (yes!!!:D ) and Luke Jedi in the future.

ACPin
04-10-2002, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Goodness gracious! I'm not a fan of busts - statues with partial torsos and no arms or bodies freak me out - but that is incredible work. Outstanding! It amazes me how good this is, I can't imagine a SW licensee putting anything this good out on the mass-market.
I'm with JT on this one and that's an amazing likeness of the princess. :cool:

Originally posted by bigbarada
Thanks for the compliments, I will try to upload better pictures of his Nikto bust and Grand Moff Tarkin bust. He plans to make busts of Bossk, Barada (yes!!! ) and Luke Jedi in the future.
Yes, we'd like to see more! :D

187-Maul
04-10-2002, 10:21 AM
maybe you could tell him to make a darh maul...?:D
looks amazing

stillakid
04-10-2002, 10:30 AM
When you said "Slave Leia bust " I thought you meant....

:D

In any case, it looks really good with her head there too! If he hasn't contacted LucasLicensing yet, he should. They can probably put him in contact with companies that will reproduce his work. No sense in not turning this hobby into a career.

notafinga
04-10-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm working on a Darth Maul bust right now. The likeness of Ray Park is there, as is the design. Thing is, the paint job on that Lea IS AMAZING.
bigbarada, was that Lea bust in the picture from an original mold, or was that the original sculpt? What paints were used?
I have painted mine with acrylic, and on some figures it works well (like Boba Fett). However I find most of the time the paint is dull. (I've painted directly onto the baked sculpy piece)

Can ya ask your brother...

PPPLLLEEEAse!!!!

bigbarada
04-11-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by notafinga
I'm working on a Darth Maul bust right now. The likeness of Ray Park is there, as is the design. Thing is, the paint job on that Lea IS AMAZING.
bigbarada, was that Lea bust in the picture from an original mold, or was that the original sculpt? What paints were used?
I have painted mine with acrylic, and on some figures it works well (like Boba Fett). However I find most of the time the paint is dull. (I've painted directly onto the baked sculpy piece)

Can ya ask your brother...

PPPLLLEEEAse!!!!

The Leia was an original sculpt, made out of a mixture of Super Sculpey and black Sculpey 3, to give the sculpt a dark greyish tint, so my brother could sculpt the details better.
As for paints, he used the cheap Delta Ceramcoat acrylics you can find at any Wal-Mart (about $0.60 per bottle). He mixed the paint to achieve the proper values.
He uses a satin or lusterless topcoat applied in thin layers to fix the problem with the dullness, this also protects the paint itself.
Another thing, make sure you use primer to help the paint adhere to the surface, no matter how small the piece is.

notafinga
04-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Thanx for the reply, bigbarada!

satin topcoat, eh? I appreciate the information:)

notafinga
04-11-2002, 07:44 PM
BTW, I thought i'd give you an idea of what this guy looks like. Don't laugh at the quality, I don't have a photo or a digital camera so this is a quick scan of Maul's sculpted and painted head.

try to enjoy it.;)

187-Maul
04-12-2002, 09:56 AM
looks great notafinga ! you CAN really see the likeness with ray park

bigbarada
04-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Looks good! I like it, notafinga! I've only sculpted a handful of things one being a Barada head that I was going to use to make a 12" Barada figure (it's picture is somewhere in this section). The head came out too big so I pretty much lost interest and went back to drawing.

JediTricks
04-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Man, everybody is more talented than me! :D :crazed:

Err, I mean "Nice work there Notafinga." ;)

RooJay
04-15-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm all for posting custom work Sir Steve, but I hope you could be a bit selective about it. I've seen way too many customs that look like poorly conceived blobs. I want to see the stuff that looks "real" and professional. There's just not enough of this stuff shown on the net that is easily found. No offense to any customizers out there.

Sith Worm
04-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Biggin' whats up long time no type!

Say man can you tell me what your brother uses? Is it like super sculpie or some thing along those lines, and great work...

bigbarada
05-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Hey, Sith Worm, sorry for the late reply, I keep forgetting to check this thread. My brother uses a Super Sculpey and black Sculpey 3 mixture. The only reason he uses the darker Sculpey 3 though is to give the sculpey a darker color and make it easier to sculpt the details.

2-1B
05-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Unfreakingbelievable :D Kudos on not only a fine bust but an incredible Leia likeness!
Man, I would love to see a Bossk sculpt, only then I'll want to get one for myself. :crazed:

Dooku Fett
05-26-2002, 08:58 PM
Wow, that's amaizing! Good job!

Darth Ravenous
06-02-2002, 03:07 AM
Hello, Big Barada's brother here. I am the sculptor of the Leia bust. Just wanted to say, thanks for all the great compliments. :) I am working on a couple more projects. I will post pics when finished.

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Just in case everyone is wondering "who's this bozo taking credit for the Slave Leia bust?" Well, that bozo is my brother. Uh, wait....

;)

Hey, Darth Ravenous, stop on by our Collectors Club thread and say 'hi.'

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 02:11 AM
I'd gush some more about the fantastic work, but my previous gushing is well-documented. :D

Welcome aboard BB's brother, great work!

2-1B
06-06-2002, 02:49 AM
Hi Darth Ravenous, I like the avatar you chose - goes nicely with your bro's Barada shot! I await the pics of your new work. :)