PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fake???

TheBigSloppy
04-10-2002, 12:59 AM
I thought the short saber, long tray Obi-Wan Kenobi DID NOT exist. However, someone is selling one on eBay. . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1720937632

Anyone know anything about this supposed variation???

Lord Malakite
04-10-2002, 02:33 AM
Its real. SirSteve has a pic in the archives of one.

ACPin
04-10-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by TheBigSloppy
I thought the short saber, long tray Obi-Wan Kenobi DID NOT exist. However, someone is selling one on eBay. . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1720937632

Anyone know anything about this supposed variation???
This variation does exist. Whether it's a faked one or not, I couldn't tell from the pics provided. So if you're a prospective bidder, buyer beware! I've seen some unscrupulous dealers in some shows in the past do this. You really have to know and trust the source of any figure you buy that will cost you a lot.

BanthaPoodoo
04-10-2002, 02:27 PM
No, it is not a fake. I can guarantee you that.

They made a transition early in the run on the original POTF figures.

I bought all mine with long sabers at a WM. Me and my friend went a few months later to TRU and they had the Short Saber/ Long tray.

I passed on all of them (Luke, Obi, Darth) because I had em and didnt need two!!!

Then went about a week or two later, and all they had was short sabers in short tray. I then thought to myself:

"Self, you may have just missed out on one of the rarest figures! Now go kick yourself.........."

TheBigSloppy
04-10-2002, 02:55 PM
I have to admit that I would probably pay over $300 for this variation. It truly is one of the rarest ones out there - up there with all those Fett errors, Luke SS/LT, Boushh Coll. 1 on purple card and FF Weequay.

I TRIED EMAILING this seller, but an administration error keeps occuring and the message cannot be sent. So his email keeps bouncing back to me. As the saying goes, 'buyer beware.'

ERROR message is as follows:

** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **

The original message was received at Wed, 10 Apr 2002 06:49:05 -0700
from bashir [10.201.2.32]

----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
<nybusiness2001@hotmail.com>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
<nybusiness2001@hotmail.com>... Deferred: Connection refused by mx04.hotmail.com.
Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

icatch9
04-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Why do you guys want these? I mean it just plastic. I just don't understand why you pay so much for a single plasic tray? Please help me understand your reasons.

ACPin
04-10-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
No, it is not a fake. I can guarantee you that.

Just asking and don't take this personal, are you the seller or do you know the seller by chance? If not, why will you guarantee that it is a real SS/LT Obi-Wan?

Originally posted by icatch9
Why do you guys want these? I mean it just plastic. I just don't understand why you pay so much for a single plasic tray? Please help me understand your reasons.
The perceived value of the item due to the scarcity of this particular variation is what makes it a rarity and thus expensive. If you open it, then it loses it's value. Some collectors (mostly completists) just got to have every single figure and its variants. It's also about making a statement about your collection that makes it different from anybody else. More rare, htf figures and variants, the more you can essentially brag about having a better collection. Btw, I don't have this particular variant and don't plan on getting one unless I stumble upon it on retail or sold cheap.

BanthaPoodoo
04-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Nah, not the dealer or have no connection to said dealer. When I said I can guarantee it is not a fake I was going by what you stated in first post:

I thought the short saber, long tray Obi-Wan Kenobi DID NOT exist

Just saying I can gaurantee that a SS/LT Obi-Wan is not a fake item (e.g. it does exist) because I have seen one before. As for if the one the seller has is real??? I have no idea. After reading my earlier post maybe I should have chosen different wording :rolleyes:

(Also the book I have - Star Wars The Action Figure Archive - has pics as well)

(no offense taken either, I knew what you meant :D :D :D )

SithDroid
04-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by icatch9

I used to be into the whole, "I gotta get every single card variant out there," but then I realized, "Why?" The figure is the same. If the figure was different I could understand, but it's not. It's just the stupid plastic bubble. So I gave up on ALL card variations. If I happen to find one in the store, then sure I might buy it, but I'm not going to go out of my way and spend $300+ for something like that on ebay.

Turbowars
04-13-2002, 10:58 AM
Watch the auction you guys, at the last second it's going to sky rocket to 500+ I have seen it go for more, but the market is slipping on these and other POTF2 figures. I would sure love to get may hands on him and Luke LT SS. I'm one of those crazy collectors thats got to have every variant/error out there, but I refuse to pay 500+. I Did break down and buy FF Weequay for 350. Just call me a Wild and Crazy guy! Hey if there wasn't variations and errors, collecting for me would be boring. When you complete something, what else is left to do? I look at it like this. When I restored my 67 Mustang, I go bored, so I sold it and bought a 67 Fastback and now I making it a street rod, tubbed out, 9 inch rear end chopped top etc...... and when I finish I'll probably sell it and start over. With Star Wars figure I don't ever want to sell them so collecting errors and variations keep the collection going. That's just me.

swjunk
04-16-2002, 08:03 PM
The seller of that specific auction is a liar and a thief. I actually own that exact figure and I purchased it from Brian's Toys, which is where that seller stole the picture.

I am willing to send pictures to anyone interested, from any angle.

Take cake,

Matthew

ACPin
04-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by swjunk
The seller of that specific auction is a liar and a thief. I actually own that exact figure and I purchased it from Brian's Toys, which is where that seller stole the picture.

I am willing to send pictures to anyone interested, from any angle.

Take cake,

Matthew
If what you say is true, why not do the right thing and notify the winning bidder about it? Hopefully he hasn't paid yet and you could save him some grief.

swjunk
04-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Do you think I am an idiot? That was the first and most important thing I did!!!!!!!!!

Take care,

Matthew

P.S. Forgot to let you all know that that seller made a huge mistake in his auction post. ALL Ben SS/LT s have the full ben picture on the back of the card, not the half picture.

TheBigSloppy
04-17-2002, 02:58 PM
You must personally know this person in order for him to have stolen from you. Without naming names, what are his initials?

swjunk
04-17-2002, 03:10 PM
Sorry, I do not know the thief. Using someone elses picture without permission is stealing!! I have been in contact with the winner of the auction and can probably get the name the sellers is using, if you are really interested.

Take care,

Matthew

TheBigSloppy
04-17-2002, 03:38 PM
Just because this person uses a photo from someone's website doesn't mean that that person doesn't actually own said figure. The image is representational; not actual.

TRUE, the item he is selling may not be the actual picture depicted on his auction page - but most sellers that I question on eBay use stock images from various sources rather than photographing or scanning their own item.

Where do you think a majority of eBay sellers get their pictures from? That's right. Sir Steve's picture archive. Rebelscum. Brian's Toys. Other eBay auctions. If using someone elses image is going to save a person time and energy - they are going to use it without question.

You make it sound like he stole the figure from you, but he did not. He is merely using a template that he grabbed from Brian's Toys. Congratulations though. You have a very rare Star Wars variation. Care to sell it?

Whether Brian's Toys has a copyright on said image is another story. Perhaps you should discuss copyright violations with BT. . .

swjunk
04-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Not a thief fine, but had I not stopped the buyer from sending payment, then he would have been. The seller knows nothing about the figure. He shows a picture of the wrong back of the card. SS/LT Bens ALL have the full picture of Ben on the back.

I also disagree with you about using pictures. If you do not show a picture of the actual figure then do not use a picture. Stolen pictures are misleading. 99% of sellers that steal pictures do not even admit it, unless they are questioned.

ebay sucks period, it is such a haven for THIEVES. These thieves are even protected by ebay.

Take care,

Matthew

TheBigSloppy
04-17-2002, 04:16 PM
I merely stated a point about where users get their images - I did not voice an opinion. You can disagree with a seller's practice, but please do not object to an opinion I have not aired.

If you noticed my blurb about how I have to question sellers if image is actual item - you may have inferred that I too am frustrated when sellers use canned images. For those of us who care about variations, we need to see actual item. Nine times out of ten, YES, the image is a template - and yes that sucks. But there is nothing you or I can do about this. . .

. . .other than. . .Don't ask. And don't buy.

TheBigSloppy
04-17-2002, 04:20 PM
DON'T GET ME WRONG
I do appreciate your bringing awareness to this blind collector. $510 FRIGGIN DOLLARS is a lot of dough for one little figure. . .

$300 was my limit. . .

But $510?

swjunk
04-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Have any errors/variations to trade? I have loads!

Here is my email address.

cballard@jps.net

Take care,

Matthew

SithDroid
04-17-2002, 04:31 PM
I have had the same problems on ebay in a similar way. I will name the seller because I believe that many people deserve the right to know about it.

I won two Spiderman Movie posters, the Advance Double-Sided B version with Spiderman on the front crawling up the building and the Advance Double Sided version C with the Green Goblin on it. I assumed that they were US originals because the picture the seller (xenosales) was using was of the original. My cousin also won these from them, but a week earlier and he received them before I sent my money to them. The copies that he got were German reproductions. They looked pretty good, but they were not what was pictured. Because of this I told the seller that I wasn't going to buy them due to false advertising. The company being extremely uptight never returned any of my e-mails and contacted ebay as if I was the one who was in the worng. Finally ebay saw that the seller was wrong once I provided the evidence and the non-paying bidder warning was removed from my account. But this just goes to show that ebay is more likely to side with the seller, than with the buyer. After that little incident the seller changed the image of the posters they offered and put up a disclaimer saying that they didn't know if they were original or not (which is how it should have been in the first place). I guess a lot of people complained to ebay because they had a ton of negative feedback from them about the same poster.

When buying from ebay, just be careful. There are a lot of people out there trying to rip people off.