PDA

View Full Version : Don't they have CNN in outer space?

icatch9
04-10-2002, 01:04 PM
The core story in TPM is the invasion of Naboo, and how the senate deals with this. The problem is no one seems to beleave the queen that this invasion even took place. Don't they have CNN or something? I mean if Canada invaded England it would be on every channel in the world. What is the invasion of Naboo not news worthy? The Chancelor orders a commision to find out if this really happened. Is this needed, I mean can't you see all the ships in orbit, and all those Battle Droids walking around. It just seems to me that someone else would know about this invasion, not just the TF and the Queen.

LTBasker
04-10-2002, 04:22 PM
In the books and stuff it's called "HoloNET" (I think) and the little camera droids floating around in the Senate gathering were little HoloNET cameras I'd guess.

JediTricks
04-10-2002, 06:49 PM
I would guess Holonet doesn't have any reporters on the backwater world of Naboo. It'd be like Brazil invading Easter Island or seomthing, nobody would notice for a while till someone got the word out. And since communications to and from Naboo had been blocked (I assume), Qui-Gon simply couldn't pick up the phone and call Chancellor Valorum. (Come to think of it, the communications better have been blocked because otherwise the film would have been over in 10 minutes. But if they were blocked, how did Sidious transmit to Theed and how did Bibble transmit out to the royal starship? Ow, brain lock-up! ;))

LTBasker
04-10-2002, 07:22 PM
They were blocked by the Trade Federation so obviously they could unblock probably a certain channel for whenever they wanted to transmit something.

JediTricks
04-10-2002, 11:46 PM
and Bibble's transmission?

icatch9
04-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Sio's transmission was a trick. So the TF probally sent that out. Still your right, Naboo is out in the boonies so it would have taken a while. Plus, it would have been a short movie with no plot. You can come up with your own jokes for that one.

Darth Nihilus
04-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Another thing that bothered me about the Senate's ignorance is why couldn't the Jedi be called as witnesses to testify to the invasion of Naboo? As galactic peacekeepers they would have the same jurisdiction as police.

Beast
04-30-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
Another thing that bothered me about the Senate's ignorance is why couldn't the Jedi be called as witnesses to testify to the invasion of Naboo? As galactic peacekeepers they would have the same jurisdiction as police.
Chancellor Valorum couldn't have the Jedi's testify as to what the Trade Federation was doing. He sent them out without getting senate approval. If the word got out that he was dispatching Jedi's on missions without Senate approval he would have been done for. The Senate would have no doubt held a no confidence vote to get him out of office. Ultimatly, that happened anyway, when Valorum swayed to pressure of the Trade Federation and other parties to send someone to inspect the situation before holding a vote. So either way, his positon was perilous, but his downfall ended with him siding with the majority of the Senate. Either way he was going to loose his position, allowing Palpatine to move in due to the sympathy vote.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-01-2002, 01:17 AM
I would think that the Trade Federation would allow Bibble to transmit out since a response from the Queen's ship would give away their location.

I really don't know what the "trace" Darth Maul mentioned was all about, maybe the Sith could trace the movement of the Jedi or something like that.