PDA

View Full Version : Geonosis, my favorite place......

Bosskman
04-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Those new pictures from the Visual Dictornary over at www.darthpsycotic.com have filled my growing desire for all things Geonosis. This is fast becomming, in my opinion, the coolest location in the SW universe to date. Not only do we get that UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE battle between the Clones and the various droids of the seperatist faction, but the arena beasts, the cool villains, and the multiple jedi, man this place rules!!!!!! It all looks so unbelievably cool that there is NO WAY George can screw this one up.

BanthaPoodoo
04-11-2002, 10:16 AM
http://www.darthpsychotic.com/

jawaboy
04-11-2002, 11:21 AM
No, but I bet Rick McCallum could screw it up!

Bosskman
04-11-2002, 12:52 PM
I don't like Rick McCallum. He seems real phoney, you know, like some poser who doesn't like Star Wars at all, only the money. He seems like the stereotypical Hollywood producer. And his use of the F word to try to sound cool - please!! That word only makes you sound cool when there's no effort to say it and the emphasis is on something else, he says it like he's some wannabe bigshot. Look at me, I say the F Word, don't you junior high kids want to be like me? He's got an annoying voice too. He's worse than Jar Jar Binks. Like the SE Jabba from ANH, I just pretend he doesn't exist.

Back on the subject of Geonosis, I think those 3 beasts are gonna be classics like the Rancor and the Wampa. It's cool they come from all new plantes too, and not from the ones EU is always talking about. It makes the SW universe seem bigger and bigger. I hope Geonosis is not revisited in EIII though. In fact, I hope we don't see anymore Coruscant or Naboo either. Tatooine is a MUST though. MORE OWEN AND BERU!

Rollo Tomassi
04-11-2002, 03:29 PM
There's no beachfront property on Geonosis. How cool can it be?

We'll see more Coruscant in III, and a little Tatooine (including Owen and Beru) but not a lot of Geonosis or Naboo, methinks.

Jargo
04-11-2002, 03:52 PM
The beauty of geonosis is that it provides us with a place to finally set our toy Rancors in action against the pitiful band of Jedi. I've started my arena dioram already with what pieces i have left lying around. The Rancor and an Opee vs Eeth Koth and multiple clones of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Plus a whole host of boomer damage battle droids. I've yet to find any AOTC toys so I had to make do but My Rancor is finally happy to have something to do other than eat Gamorreans and Twi'Lek chicks and threaten luke bad hair jedi. :D

Geonosis is just a more humid version of Tatooine. A different colour but the two planets are close to each other so share similar characteristics in climate.

I like the Geonosians, they make me smile. I hate Poggle the lesser with his 'Sebulba overkill' dangly chin thingies. I love the beasties and I love the pseudo art deco/nouveau merged with natural structures feel of the whole place. The arena looks great, like a semi washed away sandcastle inverted. I couldn't care less for any of the jedi and much less the heros. In a sense i wish Padme and Obi and Anakin had been mushed by the beasties but then there wouldn't be a third episode. Oh well. :crazed:

jawaboy
04-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Back to what's really important here...Ricky boy. I have to agree he has quite a potty mouth, especially on the DVD. He seems so smug and slimy, like Jabba, but with bad cologne. I love those segments where he's talking on the phone trying to convince Ewan its gonna be a great film. He's so cheesy and his use of the F word is laughable. I bet he only says it so that Sam Jackson thinks he's cool. I hope his mom watches that DVD and see what a spez she raised. "Radioland Murders". Please!

Jargo
04-11-2002, 08:21 PM
The thing that really put me off Ricky was his pronunciation of jabba as jobba. I'm pretty sure that there's a heck of a lot of Americans out there reading who also use the same pronunciation, but to be honest, I don't care for you either if you pronounce Jabba as Jobba. I would end up grinding my teeth in frustration before quite cheerfully garroting you and dumping your lifeless body in the river.
Similarly Han as Honn, Leia as Layer, and various other mispronunciations garner the same response from me. It's quite quite tiresome and I'm afraid that if you use these mispronunciations then - you must die.
It's quite intolerable of you to develop a bastardised language all of your own, stop it right this instant! if you persist in mangling perfectly good vowel sounds that have stood the test of time for several more centuries than your little country has existed for, then you will unfortunately have to be extinguished rather rapidly. I'm sorry but this is the way it just has to be.
Please don't take it personally but mispronouncers are defective and we really need to weed them out before the rot sets in and the damage is permanent. :happy:

2-1B
04-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by jawaboy
Back to what's really important here...Ricky boy. I have to agree he has quite a potty mouth, especially on the DVD. He seems so smug and slimy, like Jabba, but with bad cologne. I love those segments where he's talking on the phone trying to convince Ewan its gonna be a great film. He's so cheesy and his use of the F word is laughable. I bet he only says it so that Sam Jackson thinks he's cool. I hope his mom watches that DVD and see what a spez she raised. "Radioland Murders". Please!

From Empire Online via TF.N:

"EO: I was wondering since Episode I goes to such great lengths to appeal to children, will your colorful language in the documentary result in a different rating for the film or for the box?

Jim Ward (VP Marketing): Well no actually all that stuff does have to get submitted in different countries around the world. But all of that has been through the appropriate filters. But I think certainly we try to walk that fine line of doing what the censors would need us to do but also being true to the moment of what was happening. And certainly when you saw the producer of a motion picture and he had that horrible storm, you’re going to say a few things along the way."

:p No mention of Rick's more relaxed use of profanity though . . .

This is from the press conference for the DVD, Rick talks about it a bit . . .
http://www.theforce.net/episode1/rickmccallum.shtml

Bosskman
04-11-2002, 09:49 PM
He says jobba a whole whack of times, I can't freakin stand it!!!!!!!!!! It's Jabba! JABBA!!!!!!! As in FLAB, CAB and DRAB!!!!

RooJay
04-11-2002, 10:02 PM
I hope it's not too late to point this out, and even though this IS the spoilers section, I think it should be stated that these scans contain MANY...MAJOR spoilers. If your concerned with not wanting to know TOO much, please BEWARE.

By the way, I loved seeing those scans, and now my heart aches with anticipation for AOTC!

RooJay
04-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Bosskman
He says jobba a whole whack of times, I can't freakin stand it!!!!!!!!!! It's Jabba! JABBA!!!!!!! As in FLAB, CAB and DRAB!!!!

Actually Bosskman, in ROTJ itself the name is pronounced "JAHBAH" as in "job" and "70's supergroup ABBA".

bigbarada
04-11-2002, 10:05 PM
Cool pictures from the Visual Dictionary, you're right Bosskman, Geonosis rocks! (Okay - bad pun:rolleyes: )

I love the Nexu, he just creeps me out! Scares the crap out of my nephew too.:evil:

The Waterworld thing with (El) Kamino kinda bothers me. (The idea of the polar ice caps melting and flooding the planet is bogus, since water displaces itself evenly and contracts when it melts. Test it on a glass of ice water to see if the water level changes when the ice melts.) However, I can look beyond it. Besides I doubt we'll be forced to sit through the ancient history of (El) Kamino and Geonosis.

Loving the Clonetroopers more and more. In fact, I might even like these outfits better than the OT Stormtroopers.:eek: Only time will tell.

Dexter is one of the coolest aliens I've seen in the prequels thus far! Can't wait to see him onscreen.

Jargo
04-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by RooJay

Actually Bosskman, in ROTJ itself the name is pronounced "JAHBAH" as in "job" and "70's supergroup ABBA".
C-3PO pronounces it the correct way. JABBA as in stabber jabber grabber. Not Jahbah. Jahba is the lazy way of speaking and not correct. ABBA is also pronounced ABBA not Ahbah. Okay i'll give an inch on the ABB thing because the Swedish do bend the vowel sound slightly but nowhere near as mangled as harrison Fords utterances. Ghastly - simply ghastly!

Job is pronounced Job not Jahb. Only a wide mouthed frog would say jahb. It must be this too many teeth californian thing. I've noted that many americans in the sun drenched state have incredibly wide mouths with enormous teeth like JarJarBinks and his gigantic mouth. It's the incessant grinning thing. talking and grinning at the same time like Hollywood actors do must increase the width of ones face and increase the size and amount of teeth one has. Farah Fawcett Majors is a prime example of the grinny face. 200 teth in her mouth and all the size of a car. Jim Carrey is another one. Joan Rivers....the list is endless. It's these horrible horrible freaks who have taught the rest of you to speak with such dreadful anunciation and pronunciation. bad examples one and all they must be exterminated forthwith!

bigbarada
04-12-2002, 01:06 AM
jobba jobba jobba jobba jobba jobba

:D:D:D:D

RooJay
04-12-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO

C-3PO pronounces it the correct way. JABBA as in stabber jabber grabber. Not Jahbah. Jahba is the lazy way of speaking and not correct. ABBA is also pronounced ABBA not Ahbah. Okay i'll give an inch on the ABB thing because the Swedish do bend the vowel sound slightly but nowhere near as mangled as harrison Fords utterances. Ghastly - simply ghastly!

That's not the way I heard 3PO pronounce it. Guess I'll have to go back and check it out. So aside from that, where did you learn how to properly pronounce the name? I have seen all the films hundreds of times since seeing them in the theater during their original release, and I have always known it to be pronounced JAHBA (and AH-BA!). Don't EVEN get me started on the whole British "aluMINium" and American "aLUminum" thing!

...but I digress, what does it matter between fellow fans? I say "po-TAY-to", you say "po-TAH-to", let's call the whole thing off!;)

Bosskman
04-12-2002, 07:19 AM
Who the hell says's po-tah-to? Here in the maritimes we say pa-tay-ta. BTW Jargo, Jim Carry is a Canadian but he's also a sellout so that would accout for his california BS. I hate Jim Carrey. He's as phoney as tubesteak!

PS, I know many people from Newfoundland and they pronounce "job" as "jab". Proving my original Jabba point.

Jargo
04-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Well, I'm never terribly serious on this whole Anglo vs America thing. So please don't think i'm having a go. It's just a little fun.
basically the correct pronunciation is however GL himself says it seeing as he makes the names up. But then you have to count the actors mispronouncing things. take Alec guinness for instance, he says things one way and harrison ford says them another in ANH despite Alec attempting to sound more transatlantic so that Americans could understand him. His clipped English accent always comes through - EEvill instead of evul. English people don't speak in clipped accents anyway these days as most have adopted the transatlantic mushiness of a mangled vowel sounds accent. There doesn't seem to be any rules to star wars names though You say Boosh and I say Bowsh You say Jahbah and I say Jabber. It's interesting and the only thing to argue about is ordinary words. and the fact that Americans don't speak English. They speak American. :)

Rollo Tomassi
04-12-2002, 01:51 PM
I've always maintained that I speak American.

What was this thread about again? Certainly not Stacy Keebler, who unfortunately is "Forbidden" now...

I think McCallum is just more annoying in general, so everything he does seems more annoying than if somebody else did it. If I said Jobba, you'd overlook it, but when he says it, he's a chimp.

Which he is. "Duuuuuuuuuude"

bigbarada
04-12-2002, 02:31 PM
RicMac is such a pogue, like totally!

Jargo, if your ears are so sensitive to mangled pronunciation, then you must have been digging for pencils to stick in your ears when Nute Gunray first opened his mouth in Ep1. I know it annoyed the hell out of me! Jar Jar and Watto didn't bother me at all, but those Niemoidians were like fingernails on car paint.

JEDIpartner
04-12-2002, 02:55 PM
They remind me of a Malaysian copier salesman I used to know. :D

Anthow... back to the subject. Geonosis looks like it is going to be one heck of a place! It looks like a cross between Tatooine and how we have come to envision Mars in films. The architecture is fascinating as well. I like the way it DOES have an insert hive look about it... like a giant termite mound. The interiors look pretty creepy. I can't wait!

BanthaPoodoo
04-12-2002, 02:58 PM
where are those droi---de---kaaaaas!

it's queeeeen aaaaamidddaaaaala herseeeeelf......

They got on on my nerves too...

Jargo
04-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Natalie made me want to gouge my brain out with her growling grating nasal scratchy voice. I liked Rune and Daultay Dofine. They didn't bother me because the accent was softer. Nute and Lott Dod made me cringe. partially because they looked crap. Nute still looks crap, especially with his new hat. And Gilramos Libkath is just the Daultay Dofine mask reused I'm pretty darn sure. Interestingly, the Neimoidian I thought was a pilot with new duds on is actually a nightclub patron as seen in a recent pic which I will post as soon as I can locate it in amongst the millions of pics I downloaded last night.

Geonosis looks like sloppy poopy gone hard to me. Like a Mr. wippy ice cream all swirly and soft and then left to go dry in the sun and covered in dust. And the Geonosians are sort of like ants and wasps all mixed into one. But Poggle looks like a cross between Nute Gunray and Sebulba. I hate his design. The ordinary Geonosians are so cool with their wings and those silly faces and the weird way the sort of hop around. Kinda creepy too. :)

Jargo
04-12-2002, 04:22 PM
And here it is. The smaller pic is from the on location interview Ahmed best did with the extra and the larger pic is a new shot from the nightclub as Anakin searches for Zam among the crowd.

Bosskman
04-12-2002, 04:29 PM
I actually like Nute Gunray in a strange way. He's so paranoid, he's the classic bad-guy-being-manipulated-by-a-badder-guy. The nemoidians in general I think are cool, they sorta remind me of the ROTJ Imperial dignitaries. I never liked the EU idea of the Battle Droids being made to resemble nemoidian skeletons, so I'm glad it was fixed in the films that they're modeled after the Geonosians. I remember, back before TPM coming out, that some sources like the toy STAP packaging said that the battle droids looked like their makers. That was before we saw the nemoidians on film so I was confused when the movie came out. Then I saw the TPM concept art for the nemoidians and they looked exactly like organic battle droids. The idea was scrapped for the movie though and the EU explanation was invented. I always thought it was a shame. Now that the Geonosians are here I can put those bad feelings aside and my love of the prequels is growing. (yes I DID like TPM overall, just not Jar Jar and most of Qui Gon and Anakin)

RooJay
04-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Bosskman
Who the hell says's po-tah-to? Here in the maritimes we say pa-tay-ta. BTW Jargo, Jim Carry is a Canadian but he's also a sellout so that would accout for his california BS. I hate Jim Carrey. He's as phoney as tubesteak!

PS, I know many people from Newfoundland and they pronounce "job" as "jab". Proving my original Jabba point.

Now Bosskman, let's not get started insulting each others place of origin. Have you ever even been to California? Not L.A., but California? Besides, you don't even want to get me started on Canadians!:p

Hey Emperor Jargo, what about all the characters who are speaking Jabba's own language (Huttese for the uninformed) that pronounce it like I do? What about them, huh?:D

Jargo
04-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Now don't be gettin' cocky son. tell me, Why do so many Californians grin so much? I don't trust people who grin all the time. I don't trust people whose gums can be seen when they smile either. I don't trust people who have a gap in their front teeth you could park a limo in. I don't trust people who drive around in limos. I don't trust anyone rich enough to afford a limo. I don't trust anyone with more than one credit card. I - oh, never mind......

Saying Jahbah with a huttese accent isn't the same as saying it in English. There's a different sound to it. It's somewhere between the two like Bib Fortuna says it. But getting back to Ricky McC. That interview Caesar pointed us to - Ricky basically says "f***you! cuz george don't care what you think and I don't care what anyone thinks, as long as I get my Oscar and get paid handsomely for this event and get to eat at expensive restaurants on the expense account....DUUUUUUUDE!"

What the hell was this thread about again? Is ewan wearing a wig in this movie? Cuz if that's his real hair then he really ought to sue LFL for defamation of character. That hairstyle looks so ghey. Seriously it's a campy coiffure. Like Quentin Crisps only not purple. give him the blue rinse to make him look more like Alec guinness and he'll start to look like Quentin crisp i'm telling ya... :crazed:

Bosskman
04-12-2002, 08:58 PM
I got nothin against California, or even L.A. for that matter. Some freinds of mine and I tried to drive there once bu we only got as far as New York City (THAT took us about a day). It would have taken us a couple of months to get there and back and since we all had jobs (except for that weird chicK) we had to stop. Its not americans cadadians don't like either, it's canadians who move to the states and come back thinking they're soooooooo much better than the rest of us for doing it. (people like Carry, and Celine Dion). There's also the whole east coast-west coast thing too, we don't like people who go to BC anymore than those who go to CA and we prefer those who go south to Boston or NY than those who go east to ontario (canada's most reviled province by everyone except ontarians). I got a lot of relatives who have gone all phoney and snooty after moving to Ontario and when they come back here everything is crap compared to there. Most people I know who are FROM Ontario however, are really nice. The Boston states, or what you americans call New England, are seen by us Maritimers (the the inhabitants of the three Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island) as just like home to us and most of us have families who live there. Hell, my mother lived half her childhood years in Boston. Anyways I can't wait to see Nute Gunray become a crispy critter on Geonosis.

PS watch the Sopranos and hear what Tony has to say about his sister going out west, you Yanks got no business pointin fingers at us.

gibbyhayes
04-13-2002, 10:59 AM
I can drive fifty miles away and hear people speak differently from me. Across the galaxy there's going to be some variations of pronunciation. Jabba, Jobba, either, either, neither, neither... (you know where this is going).

If you care that much, goto my 'Lucas Pronunciation Contest' thread and be heard (Saesee Tiin = sassy teen?)!

RooJay
04-13-2002, 03:19 PM
I don't know any Californians who grin too much Emperor Jargo. Even if I did, I would imagine it's because they are so happy to live here!:happy: Also, Jargo is it true that instead of saying "wake up" the british are known to say "knock up"? As in "My sister is still sleeping." "Well then go knock her up!". Just something I'd heard.
By the way, I don't knock anybody from anywhere. People come from where God put them.:p
What's stranger is that one of my best friends in the world was born and raised in New York an hour or so outside the city, and he was raised with what one might think is a California accent! He says everyone from where he was born talks like that except the people from the city! Weird.
Oh yeah, one more thing, Rick McCallum seems like a nice guy in general, but when it comes to Star Wars he's a jerk. Pretty obvious to me that his reverence for Star Wars is insincere at best.

Jargo
04-13-2002, 03:53 PM
God is a misnomer for 'get out clause'. :happy:

Rick McCallum doesn't have a sincere bone in his body. That's why he's a producer. Sincerity gets you nowhere. :Pirate: ARR!

Don't take it so seriously. It's only words. ;)

Geonosian
04-17-2002, 07:15 AM
Geonosis will be creepy and awesome. I love the Geonosians. I really hope to see them fight!
Poggle looks preety cool to.
I really can not wait to see Geonosis on the big screen!.