PDA

View Full Version : ESPN makes fun of Star Wars fans

Wolfwood319
04-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Over at ESPN.com, they have a "what were they thinking" amusement page, in which they come up with amusing little quotes to go along with someone's "bad idea." Now they have one about the fans already standing in line for AOTC.

Funny how an entire industry devoted to grown men playing games and having no real world consequences whatsoever makes fun of Star Wars fans. Its like High School only on a larger scale.

Here's the link (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/thinking/020410/starwars.html)

JEDIpartner
04-11-2002, 11:22 AM
Yeah... I read that this morning. What a bunch of chuckleheads... the jocks picking on the "nerds". Oh, well... idiots.

...then again, I don't think too much about those people standing in line either... I'm not slagging on them, but it kinda does make the rest of us look like total fools.

Rollo Tomassi
04-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Ha Ha. The Jokes on them. There ARE chicks in that line...

Why would ESPN make fun of movie fans? ESPN is owned by Disney, one of the biggest studios in the country. Go back to watching NASCAR, you twits.

2-1B
04-11-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm not surprised. This "conflict" will last for a loooooooooong time, with the masculinity of sports always being praised while the "geekiness" of fantasy/sci-fi/toys will be an easy joke to make.

Meh, I'm a fan of both. ;)

RooJay
04-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Over at ESPN.com, they have a "what were they thinking" amusement page, in which they come up with amusing little quotes to go along with someone's "bad idea." Now they have one about the fans already standing in line for AOTC.

Funny how an entire industry devoted to grown men playing games and having no real world consequences whatsoever makes fun of Star Wars fans. Its like High School only on a larger scale.

Here's the link (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/thinking/020410/starwars.html)

When the Raiders first came back to Oakland I remember fans standing in line for HOURS for the CHANCE to buy a "permit" that would allow you to purchase a season ticket. Everyone has his/ her vice!

Lone Jedi
04-13-2002, 01:16 AM
You've all brought up good points. Here's my input:

If people want to stay in line for 100+ days in the freezing cold for a movie, fine, more power to them. It puzzles me as to why others focus their negativity towards these hard core fans by telling them to "get a life" when what they are doing isn't hurting society in any way (some people even raised money for charity for Episode I by being sponsored for waiting in line). The people who really need to "get a life" are the Star Trek geeks that picketed across the street from one theatre during Episode I with signs reading "make trek, not war." I don't mean to seem hypocritical about the negativity topic, but COME ON NOW, what they did was just plain LAME! Anyhow, this is not a post about SW vs. ST, so I'll drop it.

I guess Star Wars (or in this case, its fanbase) will forever be an example of how something immensely popular, yet somewhat elitist, will always be attacked, be it by movie critics, sports networks, late night shows, or disgruntled magazine article authors with nothing better to do.

Battle Droid
04-13-2002, 01:30 AM
So people don't wait for large amounts of time to get tickets for Sports games?

What's the difference? Star Wars films are better than Sports. LOL

2-1B
04-13-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Lone Jedi
The people who really need to "get a life" are the Star Trek geeks that picketed across the street from one theatre during Episode I with signs reading "make trek, not war."

I've also seen a sign that read, "Kirk not Kenobi". :D

I think their protesting was good natured. :)

Fulit
04-13-2002, 01:03 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, or if anyone saw this, but they featured those two guys waiting in line for 104 days on Headline News the other day. At the end they asked them two trivia questions, 1. What color is the Senate interior? They didn't know, but neither did I so.....but then Question 2 was "What is the name of Princess Leia's Corellian Corvette?" They just sat there going, "Uh". I couldn't believe someone would sit out there like a fool, waiting to see a movie that they claim to be huge fans of, but not know this simple question. I was yelling "Tantive IV", "Tantive IV"!, but you know, they couldn't hear me.

Jargo
04-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Lavender. And grey. :)

jawaboy
04-13-2002, 01:52 PM
I remember when Episode I came out people were standing in line forever. Then, a few weeks before it opened, some of the theaters started advanced ticket sales. Those poor saps ended up having to order tickets over the phone like everyone else. I bet the same thing happens again this year. If I owned a theater and people were out in line waiting to get in for 100+ days I'd probably do telephone advanced ticket sales too just for the fun of it :-P