PDA

View Full Version : Funniest moments (flubs) in SW movies

BanthaPoodoo
04-11-2002, 03:53 PM
What are everyones favorite flubs, messups, or funniest moments from the SW trilogy?

Mine would have to be I think it was Jek Porkins:

"Negati.......... Negative........ It didn't go in....."

I always thought that was so funny for some reason

icatch9
04-11-2002, 04:31 PM
It wasn't Biggs, it was Red Leader who said that. Biggs was dead by then. That was what Red Leader said when he was on his trench run, just befor he got shot and crashed onto the surface.

BanthaPoodoo
04-11-2002, 04:42 PM
oops, my bad:

"It's away!" he screams, and then Red Nine shouts, "It's a hit!" but Red Leader flaccidly replies, "Negati......Negative! It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface."

Wolfwood319
04-11-2002, 04:55 PM
My all time favorite line in any movie, 3PO says to the group, "This asteroid is not entirely stable," to which Han replys-

"Not entirely Stable, well, I'm glad your hear to tell us that. Chewie take the professor into the back and plug 'em into the hyperdrive!"

So good, I love it.

LTBasker
04-11-2002, 05:27 PM
"I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."

"I don't care what you smell, get in there you big oaf!"

"She's rich..."

:happy:

SithDroid
04-11-2002, 05:58 PM
The really bad EXTRA in ESB that says "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?"

I laugh every time I see it. Someone give him an honorary Oscar.:D

Huckleberry Josh
04-11-2002, 09:23 PM
My favorite line is when Han says , "I don't know , fly casual" and his mouth isn't with the words. I crack up every time I see that scene.

LTBasker
04-11-2002, 09:30 PM
For some reason I thought it was just regular quotes, I guess it was cause of Wolfwood's reply. :D

Well there is the "CARRIE!" line from which Mark yelled it instead of Leia after climbing out of his X-wing.

BanthaPoodoo
04-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Yeah, stuff like that where lines dont match up. Or when the Stormtrooper hits his head.

I would like to know some things to look out for that maybe I missed when I saw the movie the first 1000 times!!

chewie
04-11-2002, 10:53 PM
The stormtrooper that bonks his head on that doorway walking into that death star control room that the droids are in.

RooJay
04-11-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
What are everyones favorite flubs, messups, or funniest moments from the SW trilogy?

Mine would have to be I think it was Jek Porkins:

"Negati.......... Negative........ It didn't go in....."

I always thought that was so funny for some reason

That never seemed like a flub to me. I don't get it.

BanthaPoodoo
04-11-2002, 11:59 PM
What I think is funny about it (& what we joked about constantly in my art class in college) is how they cut right in the middle of the guy saying it. I know it was radio chatter, but I think maybe they could have waited to after he finished on word.

Cut right in the middle of negati-------

I dont know, I just think its funny for some reason... :)

JediTricks
04-12-2002, 05:40 PM
I thought the cut was supposed to show who was talking, because the scene cuts away from the war room to the X-wing cockpit of Red Leader. It's even scripted:

INTERIOR: MASSASSI OUTPOST -- WAR ROOM.

Leia and the others stare at the computer screen.

RED NINE'S VOICE: (over speaker) It's a hit!

RED LEADER: (over speaker) Negative.

INTERIOR: RED LEADER'S COCKPIT.

Red Leader looks back at the receding Death Star. Tiny explosions are
visible in the distance.

RED LEADER: Negative! It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface.

The "Carrie!" thing never happened according to Mark Hamill and sound editor Ben Burtt. It's just "hey-ey" according to one version of the story, though a more recent account says yet something else (on purpose).

187-Maul
04-12-2002, 05:47 PM
well actually on my SE video I only can make out a "a-ey"
I hadn't thought of it being "carrie" if I hadn't read it everywhere

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2002, 06:53 PM
The newest Insider (Yeah, I know JT: I still subscribe to it) says that Mark started to say "There she is!" and only the first 2 words came out. He did say that he doesn't amek a big deal about denying "Carrie!" anymore because it would perputate the conspiracy theory! ;)

LTBasker
04-12-2002, 07:38 PM
You definitely hear it ain't "Leia!", and it does sort of have a K sound to it if you listen closely, 'course it was split second they probably don't remember since it could've gotten drained out to them with the big crowd running out.

BobaFett
04-14-2002, 06:18 PM
I don't know why I thought this was so funny. It's when Darth Vadar's with all of the bouny hunters and one of his men
"bounty hunter's we don't need that scum" his troop replies
"yes sir", why did he say anything at all it didn't make much sense. I guess he was saying he agreed in a formal manner

2-1B
04-14-2002, 06:46 PM
When the skiff is rocked and Han goes overboard, the stunt double is holding the rail with his arm as he falls feet first. But then they cut to a close up of Harrison sliding head first until his feet stop him from taking the plunge.

That really bothers me, I can't ignore it when I watch that movie.
:(

BanthaPoodoo
04-14-2002, 08:14 PM
Just found a few more while watching the movies today (had me a back to back three pack!!!)

When Dr. Evazan says "I dont like you either!" his words dont match his mouth.

Also when Darth Vader is talking to Tarkin in the conference room he is finished talking but he is still waving his arm all around.

(and on a side note, it did sound like Carrie to me.....)

RooJay
04-14-2002, 09:58 PM
Also when Darth Vader is talking to Tarkin in the conference room he is finished talking but he is still waving his arm all around.

I have also noticed this Poodoo! It's always cracked me up too!

About that whole "Carrie!" thing: I think we've already had this matter settled by several sources from Lucasfilm and even by Mark Hamill himself (you know, the guy who actually said the line?) that he did not yell "CARRIE!".

JediTricks
04-14-2002, 11:50 PM
BobaFett, I think by "Yes sir", what that officer was getting at was "OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! WHY WOULD ANYBODY QUESTION LORD VADER'S DECISION, YOU SOON-TO-BE-STRANGLED MORON?!?" but he had the sense to hold his tongue. ;)

Caesar, I never noticed that one. I think you can see Anthony Daniels shoes sticking out the C-3PO feet from time to time in ANH though.

BanthaPoodoo, a lot of the ANH looping appears very sloppy, but I never noticed that particular instance before.

As for Vader's looping, it's definitely cutting things close in several places. I like when Vader says "... a presence I've not felt since..." and he storms off less than a half-beat after the last word there, like the idea of Obi-Wan being there is so frightening that he has to run and tell Tarkin right away. :D

BanthaPoodoo
04-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Found one more:

The big black ominous blob next to the emperor's eye in ROTJ. What the heck is that? I just can't bear to watch it cause my eyes are drawn to it & I lose concentration on what he is sayin!

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 02:11 AM
Since no one's mentioned it...

One major very obvious flub is when the Death Star is about to blow up and you can see a Y-wing with Wedge, Luke and Han as they're fleeing but it never shows that Y-wing retreating during the key attack, did it get it's directions wrong and went the LONG way around Yavin? :D

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 11:02 AM
Found one more:

The big black ominous blob next to the emperor's eye in ROTJ. What the heck is that? I just can't bear to watch it cause my eyes are drawn to it & I lose concentration on what he is sayin!

I've mentioned that little problem before. It's not as noticeable in the SE version of ROTJ as, I think, they fixed the colour/brightness issues. I wish they could have fixed that a little better though. It is so damn distracting- like Palpatine's got a big, black amoeba sucking on his right temple. Weird!!!

BanthaPoodoo
04-15-2002, 11:07 AM
This Isnt really a flub but a question:

I have always wondered, if the Death Star can destroy planets, why did they wait to go around the planet (you know, eta is 5 minutes) Why didnt they just blow that planet up? Then they would have a straight shot to the Rebel Base? This has always puzzled me.

LTBasker, I'll have to look at that. I bet that is funny!

chewie
04-15-2002, 11:18 AM
The reasoning for the Death Star not destroying the main planet & Yavin IV was simply because the Empire felt that they were invincible in the Death Star. Which for the most part was a correct assumption on their part. They didn't have to appear too hasty in removing the rebel threat since they weren't really a threat against the Death Star at all.

Darkross
04-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
It wasn't Biggs, it was Red Leader who said that. Biggs was dead by then. That was what Red Leader said when he was on his trench run, just befor he got shot and crashed onto the surface.

Red Leader said it...but Biggs didn't die until after Wedge pulled out.

Biggs: "Hurry Luke...they're coming in much faster now!"

Darkross
04-15-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
The really bad EXTRA in ESB that says "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?"

I laugh every time I see it. Someone give him an honorary Oscar.:D

That was Hobbie who said that! I agree a very dumb thing to say!

Darkross
04-15-2002, 11:56 AM
OK...

I've got the mother of all flub ups!

Watch Return of the Jedi...the scene where Luke is playing bumper cars with the bikerscout. If you look closely, you will see that Luke is wearing his black glove on his left hand (THAT's RIGHT....HIS LEFT HAND). You first see it from the side and then when the camera shows another angle (Luke and Bikerscout) side-by-side. They must have filmed this scene next to a mirror and the camera-man got confused as to which one was real???

BanthaPoodoo
04-15-2002, 12:02 PM
I also like watching the TIE Fighter pilot thats doing the little pimp walk behind Vader when they are about to go out and fight the X-Wings. I think this is another case of an extra trying to get a little more noticed with a bit part (and you know what it worked!!! :))

2-1B
04-15-2002, 12:08 PM
Darkross, I've not noticed that flub with the speeder bikes, but my first guess would be that they reversed the image because they preferred the opposite angle. That's happened in other films, TPM for instance (Obi's braid). :)

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Just like ol' Fettster's antenna/view scope thing on his helmet in the one ROTJ scene where they reversed the image cause they prefered the lighting being on that side of him rather than the original side.

SithDroid
04-15-2002, 03:47 PM

I've always noticed that and wondered why it was there also. My only guess is that part of Ian McDiarmid's makeup must have not covered that spot and it was really noticeable, so they tried to cover it up with the floating black blob.

Darkross
04-15-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid

I've always noticed that and wondered why it was there also. My only guess is that part of Ian McDiarmid's makeup must have not covered that spot and it was really noticeable, so they tried to cover it up with the floating black blob.

Me too...now that I think about it...that has always bothered me too!

Hellzer
04-15-2002, 05:56 PM
One of my favorite flubs that hasn't been mentioned yet is in ESB after Han Solo gets tortured by Vader in Cloud City. When the two Stormtroopers are dragging Han back to the prison cell and drop him on the floor, Han's left arm catches the helmet of the one trooper and accidentally twists his helment half-way off his head. The worst part is the poor shlub just turns around and walks out without even fixing it. I thought these guys couldn't even see through the helments when they were on correctly.

RooJay
04-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Found one more:

WOW! I forgot about that one! That's always bugged me too, and I've always wondered if there was something about the make-up on that side that we weren't supposed to see (like a feature Lucas decided to edit out at the last minute, or maybe just a mistake that was caught in editing.).:confused:

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Hellzer
One of my favorite flubs that hasn't been mentioned yet is in ESB after Han Solo gets tortured by Vader in Cloud City. When the two Stormtroopers are dragging Han back to the prison cell and drop him on the floor, Han's left arm catches the helmet of the one trooper and accidentally twists his helment half-way off his head. The worst part is the poor shlub just turns around and walks out without even fixing it. I thought these guys couldn't even see through the helments when they were on correctly.

Maybe it was the same Stormtrooper who hit his head in ANH and since he obviously doesn't seem to notice things that happen with his head. I guess he's just not really head-strong. :D

JediTricks
04-15-2002, 09:21 PM
BanthaPoodoo, Yavin is a gas giant, I don't think the Death Star's superlaser could destroy that type of planet; only solid objects.

Darkross, there are a LOT of frame reversals in SW, there are some in Ep 1 even though they had all those magical computers that can fix anything.

Dryanta
04-15-2002, 09:44 PM
My favoirite flub?HMMMM......
Episode one.
The black blob on Plapatine has always driven me nuts.You all are right when you say it's distracting.Can't help but stare at it to see what it's going to do next!

Lone Jedi
04-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Something that always makes me lose my composure is when Han "comforts" Leia when she is shot in the shoulder on Endor. He's more than happy to "lend a hand." If you don't know what I'm talking about, watch that scene carefully and watch Han's right hand. :cool:

One thing that seems really cheap (if you notice it) is that the same constellation of stars is seen moving behind Palpatine's throne in ROTJ, since the Death Star is rotating. I'm always fixated on one trio of stars that appears in one of the window panes.

Ponda Baba's severed rubber arm also bothers me.

BanthaPoodoo
04-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Man, I just watched ROTJ the other day and missed it! Guess this'll give me an excuse to watch it again!

Here's another quick question....

Why did Luke & Han get medals, but Chewbacca didnt? He helped just as much if not more than Han & Luke did (I mean after all he told Ben he was copilot of a ship & that got the whole ball rollin!)

stillakid
04-16-2002, 02:45 PM
ha ha ha....and then, and then the guy says...hee hee, he says...wait (breath)...okay, I'm okay...the guy says "Midichlorians!" BWAH HAH HA!!!!!!! HOO HHHAAAAAA HHAAAA HAAAA!!!!!!

stillakid
04-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Why did Luke & Han get medals, but Chewbacca didnt? He helped just as much if not more than Han & Luke did (I mean after all he told Ben he was copilot of a ship & that got the whole ball rollin!)

Chewy did earn the medal hands down, but the French judge was caught cheating, so the points were disqualified.

SithDroid
04-16-2002, 03:15 PM
Chewie got his medal at the MTV movie awards a couple of years ago. It took a while, but he finally got it.:D

RooJay
04-16-2002, 04:54 PM
While this is not technically a flub, I've always got a kick out of the perfectly styled, over-hairsprayed, pompadour coif on the rebel that walks between Han and Leia in the hallway of Echo base at the beginning of ESB. What was that guy thinking?!:crazed:

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 03:03 AM
Lone Jedi, Han cops a feel off her in ANH as well, in the garbage masher, it's pretty blatant. I hear he does in ESB as well, but I never saw it. I guess Harrison Ford is just "handy with the ladies". :D

I also never noticed the infamous "black blob" on the Emperor, but I've heard about it so much that I always look for it.

I don't think Chewie got the medal because he wasn't the pilot, it was Han that was captain of the Falcon and decided to turn around and help save the day. We didn't see Chewie even shoot a quadlaser.

stillakid
04-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I don't think Chewie got the medal because he wasn't the pilot, it was Han that was captain of the Falcon and decided to turn around and help save the day. We didn't see Chewie even shoot a quadlaser.

Could it be that those weren't "award" medals at all, rather a kind of "promotion?" Luke certainly got upgraded from naive farmboy to an officer after that, and we know that Han makes it to "Commander" at some point. Chewy, well Chewy is just that lovable mutt we all love to have around. Fetch boy.

2-1B
04-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Hmm, good idea 'kid. There's no proof that Han leaves the rebellion any time soon because by the time ESB rolls around he still hasn't paid Jabba. So I assume he hangs around for quite some time (Ord Mantell, etc.).

Eternal Padawan
04-17-2002, 04:00 PM
The blobs (right by his temples) are covering up two tiny lightbulbs that are casting that malicious light/shadow across his eyes. ILM covered up the actual light source with the blobs. You aren't supposed to watch the movie 500 times, so noone thought the audience would notice.

RooJay
04-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
The blobs (right by his temples) are covering up two tiny lightbulbs that are casting that malicious light/shadow across his eyes. ILM covered up the actual light source with the blobs. You aren't supposed to watch the movie 500 times, so noone thought the audience would notice.

Interesting. What's your source?

stillakid
04-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by RooJay

(whispers)
some guy named, Eddie...:sur:

BanthaPoodoo
04-17-2002, 11:51 PM
LOL.......

You would think that they would have been more creative with "THE BLOB" in the Special Editions of the movie. I mean they spent millions on the other techno tricks but didnt correct "THE BLOB" Guess what the narrator says on the VHS is wrong, it is not really the "definitive vision of George Lucas" because somehow I doubt he would want a "BLOB" hovering over the dark lords brow.....

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Stilla, I think Solo goes from "private sector Captain" to "Rebel General" without the rank of Commander because I don't remember anybody calling him that and his rank pins didn't match Luke's on Hoth. It's still a promotion, just not commander.

Eternal Padawan
04-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by RooJay

For the life of me I cannot remember where I read/heard that. It's one of those things when you see it, you go AHA! I know it's true. I just don't remember where I got it from. Perhaps it was on the Behind the Magic CD-Rom

2-1B
04-18-2002, 01:05 AM
I've never heard the light bulb cover up theory before, but it sounds plausible. I'm reminded of the use of vaseline on the camera lens to smudge the image beneath the landspeeder in ANH.

scruffziller
04-18-2002, 06:12 PM
One thing that always bugged me was that weird flap of skin that covered the emperor's eye in ESB on the hologram. What the heck was that.

RooJay
04-18-2002, 06:18 PM
YEAH! I wonder what is the EU explanation of the difference in the Emperor's appearance in ESB and ROTJ? For that matter, what's the official, in continuity explanation from Lucasfilm? When I first heard work had started on the Special Editions I thought for sure that Lucas was gonna fix that! Maybe he'll do it for the DVD.

LTBasker
04-18-2002, 06:25 PM
I watch ROTJ today, Han does indeed go for Leia's chest on Endor, but that's not the ONLY time in the movie! When they're in Jabba's Palace right after Leia frees him from the carbonite and Leia begins helping him up, his left hand goes for a grab. :rolleyes:

Anyone else notice how Luke is wrapped up tightly by Boba Fett but doesn't have any trouble getting out between scenes and doesn't even need to throw the rope aside because it just vanished? Also, if you think about it, how did 3PO and R2 get on the skiff in less than 2 seconds after being picked up by magnets? Especially 3PO considering he was upside down. ;)

BanthaPoodoo
04-19-2002, 12:39 AM
Better yet, why does a skiff need magnets?? Are they all the time going around hunting for metal objects buried in the sand? Is it Jabba's way of showing everyone how rich he is by having a flying metal detector?

Eternal Padawan
04-19-2002, 09:52 AM
The Skiffs are designed for hauling cargo between bigger ships. They can pick up metal cargo containers with the magnets. There's probably also a opening in the center of the ship to load stuff through (including upside down droids).

The real question is why aren't R2 and 3PO's memories fried by a powerful electro magnet?

RooJay
04-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Their processors and memory are shielded somehow?

Eternal Padawan
04-21-2002, 09:46 AM
How about the scene where Han is doing Leias dialogue with his lips in ESB? That one always cracks me up.

A funny scene every time I watch it: The AT-AT targets the main power generator on Hoth and somebody yells "Fire!" and then they shoot a single solitary Echo Base trooper running for his life before blowing up the generators. Poor shmoe...

scruffziller
04-25-2002, 08:15 PM
I like it when R2 zaps the Ewok and that frog-like creature that was outside of Jabba's palace that ate that creature and burps loudly. SO FUUUUUUUUUUUNNYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody know what the name of those creatures were?

scruffziller
04-25-2002, 08:57 PM
I also found the part where those 2 ewoks dive into the cockpit of the AT-ST walker and start beating him down and then Chewie throws him off. Hilarious!!!!! Then they are driving the AT-ST blowing up other At-Sts and stormtroopers. And the little black haired ewok is just chuckling his hiney off. It was classic.