PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro: SLAVE I

JEDIpartner
04-11-2002, 10:35 PM
The first thing I have to say is... this ship is a work of art!!! The paint detail is is beautiful. There is a great look about it with varying shades of the colour to show weathering and wear. Excellent!

There is very little in the way of assembly. The only things that need to be stuck onto the body of the ship are the stabilising fins. They don't automatically rotate like they do on the older versions, but that was hardly a concern for me.

The decals are few, but add a nice touch to the ship. The largest ones go on the thruster ports on the underside of the ship. The hardest ones to put on go in the cockpit. They should have applied these at the factory. It's just difficult to get them inside such a cramped space. I did my best. The final two stickers go on a little triangular panel that spins, exposing one of the flat edges of the triangle with each turn. The "neutral" side blends in with the ramp of the ship. The next face shows the tracking device placed there by Obi-Wan. The third face shows a burned area where the device was either removed or blasted away by Jango.

The clear canopy has a "heads-up" range finder moulded onto it. Very nice subtle touches like this make the ship a gem. Upon opening the cockpit, you have a "V" formation of seats with Jango sitting at the point and two others standing in the "seat" wells behind. Little Boba can be placed in the "seat" behind Jango's left shoulder. There is a little raised platform there so he doesn't fall all the way down.

The "nose" guns swivel and click- a standard feature for most Kenner/Hasbro cannons of this type. The "Secret reveal" missile launcher is most cool. If you press the little gear-shaped knob on the underside of the ship, a little door opens up to expose the missiles, which pop out into view. When you turn the knob, the missiles launch one by one. Four additional missiles can be stored on the underside of the ship so you won't easily run out of ammo. The second "secret" feature is the releasing of the sonic charges. There is a second knob on the underside which releases a little red "bomb". There are four of those neatly tucked into the nose. The drop out one by one as the knob is depressed.

The scuplt gets an A+

The detailing gets an A

The special hidden features get an A

The playability gets an A+

The Overall Score is an A+

Wolfwood319
04-11-2002, 11:14 PM
Wow, I didn't think that this piece would be that good. What is the size comparison to the original one? Also, can 3 figures fit in the cockpit? Finally, how much was it?

I was really looking forward to this piece, but after seeing some pictures I wasn't too impressed. I guess I'll have to get one now though.

JEDIpartner
04-12-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
What is the size comparison to the original one?

It seems to be about the same size as the older versions. I don't have the older ones, but I have touched the older ones, so I know they are all about.

Also, can 3 figures fit in the cockpit?

Upon opening the cockpit, you have a "V" formation of seats with Jango sitting at the point and two others standing in the "seat" wells behind. Little Boba can be placed in the "seat" behind Jango's left shoulder. There is a little raised platform there so he doesn't fall all the way down.

So, yes. Three figures WILL fit in this cockpit. Jango is front and centre and the other two passengers are behind him looking over each shoulder.

Finally, how much was it?

It cost $29.99

If you have the older versions of this ship it will be entirely up to you as to whether or not you should buy this. I feel this version has better features packed into the overall design. The paint deco is also obviously different. I think this is a great companion piece to the Jedi Starfighter.

IcebergSlim
04-12-2002, 12:14 PM
I have a shelf in my bookcase waiting for this vehicle. I have the POTF2 Slave 1 and the 300th Boba Fett and beside it I plan to have the new Slave 1 with Sneak Preview Jango. Old and new Slave 1's, and father and son in shooting poses. It's going to kick a hundred asses.

JediTricks
04-12-2002, 04:57 PM
I can't wait to get this ship, it's been #1 on my list for quite a while. I am just so disappointed with the POTF2/Vintage version which is hollow and has a really poor cockpit.

Great review JP!

Wolfwood319
04-12-2002, 05:01 PM
I didn't like the old Slave I because on mine the landing ramp doesn't stay on when its "flying" and the cargo door hatch doesn't line up with the ship.

I think I'll get the new one just to go with my new Jedi Starfighter at the very least. I think the new Starfighter is scale size from pictures I've seen. I'm very impressed with that.

Darth Evil
04-13-2002, 06:24 AM
I never had the chance to buy the POTF2 version of this ship, so I hope to pick up one of these, hopefully at a good price.

BobaFett
04-18-2002, 04:46 PM
How big is it compared to the old Slave one, do you have to take off Jango's Jetpack to fit him in.

JEDIpartner
04-19-2002, 09:21 AM
It is larger than the old SLAVE I and much more accurate in its detailing and sculpting. Yes... the jet-pack must come off... and there is another thread I started regarding a little hold in the rear of the cockpit where the jetpack can be connected for "storage".

"SURPRISES" link (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6167)

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 04:54 PM
How much bigger, like 5% is what I've heard, is that right?

Obi-Don
04-21-2002, 08:40 AM
I have seen this ship,even taking it out of the box to look at it. It is a very good ship,but I'm not to sure of the price. 30.00 for this IMO is a little high. It has no FX sounds or lights. I will buy it but won't be happy with what I will pay for it. It will look good with Boba's ship.

IcebergSlim
04-21-2002, 03:34 PM
I like this Slave 1 A LOT better than the POTF2 one. Great job, Hasbro!

Sidiously Darth
04-24-2002, 12:03 PM
This is indeed a great toy. It has tons of extras and lots of playability. If you get it at Wal-Mart, the cost is $24.87 + tax. That's cheaper that any other store.:D

Darth Ovori
04-24-2002, 01:09 PM
I like what Hasbro has done to the ship, but the colours put me off...
That combination of Blue and Yellow remind me of the South African police force, not that I have anything against them, it's just such a terrible combination... I remember when living in South Africa, I wished the SAP would change thier colours...

Why could'nt George just paint it like Jango outfit, silver and blue... ???

Anyway your review was great JEDIpartnr, I will pick it up and paint it in Boba's colours as in ESB... And why not, place my 300th Boba in it...

Just one question, doe's it have a stand to display it in flight mode... please say yes... ???

JediTricks
04-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Sorry D.O., no stand for flight mode.

Freedom
04-28-2002, 05:17 PM
I don't see how it's bigger than the POTFII Slave one. It's a little longer.

I wish the cargo bay opened, but I love the cockpit and hidden missile launchers.

JediTricks
04-29-2002, 02:58 AM
I haven't compared, but they seem similar in size.

The cargo bay can't open specifically because of the missile launcher, it takes up that space. I too wish there had been a way around this, but I like it a lot even if it is just a flying cockpit.

Beast
04-29-2002, 03:21 AM
For those of you asking about size comparison, here is a picture from Rebelscum. Hasbro from what I understand, didn't wanna alter the size of the ship to much. The ship is about the same heigth wise, but looks to be a little wider. The pivoting stabalizer wings are also more detailed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks