PDA

View Full Version : crystalizing vintage figs?

AdmiralPiett
04-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Has anyone noticed that some vintage figures have a tendency to crystalize? Some of my figures such as Teebo, 4-Lom (the tan figure, not Zuckuss), and others are starting to develop a sugary looking coating around parts of them (legs, shoulders, etc.). I was wondering if anyone else has had figures crystalize on them.
Admiral Piett

Rollo Tomassi
04-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Someone once posted that their Imperial Dignitary's arm was "frosting" up like that. I think it we decided it had something to do with the plastic that certain factories over in Asia were using towards the end of the run. It certainly doesn't happen to all the figures because mine are fine and I played with them pretty rough (bathtub, left outside, etc) so environment and exposure weren't a factor. Sucks that you have so many that are doing that. Sorry, bud. :(

P.S. I'm right across the Mississippi River in Iowa! Welcome to the forums! Here's your complimentary basket of duct tape!

2-1B
04-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Piett, are these figures on card?

skyward72
04-12-2002, 09:36 PM
I have seen a couple carded figures with a dusty mold accumulating. The cards in question had cracks in the bubble or the seal had come loose.

AdmiralPiett
04-12-2002, 09:53 PM
No, none of these guys are carded. They're all loose. Actually, I always keep my vintage guys in little ziploc baggies when I'm not displaying them. I never noticed them crystalizing before though. I only noticed it recently. I thought maybe keeping them in bags with no air might have been what's causing it but now I guess it's just bad plastic quality used during production. It just freaks me out to think about waking up someday and finding a pile of sugary stuff on my ewok village that used to be teebo!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2002, 09:58 AM
AdmiralPiett, you aren't the one who spread all those anthax letters, are you? :eek: ;)

Unfortunately, toys aren't meant to last forever, as in the well-known phrase: "You can't take it with you, even in Star Cases." You may just have to buy new ones, sorry... :( :greedy:

Eternal Padawan
04-13-2002, 10:06 AM
A thread in the old forum (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=15&PID=4219)suggested setting them in the sun for awhile and the "frost/crystal" would dissappear. You have nothing to lose by trying.

2-1B
04-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Cool - I started that thread (under an old name)! I never saw that advice, so if anyone is here that once used the name "slickone" . . .

-originally posted by slickone- I wonder if our advice worked out. I know if I posed a question and was helped I would at least reply if the solution worked or not.

I apologize, I never saw the replies. :( To answer the question, no I have not tried the sunlight trick. With Spring in the air, I'm thinking about it. :)

he-ro
04-15-2002, 03:06 PM
I have a couple MOC Imperial Dignitaries that are "frosting" on the legs. Oh, well, the cards and bubbles are beautiful though.

LusiferSam
04-15-2002, 06:44 PM
This is some kind of break down in the plastic. As the chemical bonds break down over time their form new bonds that are more stable. I don't think there is a way to stop it. I wouldn't try putting any of your figures in the sun. The sun is a likely source of the problem. The best thing to do is put them in a cool, dark, and dry place.

LusiferSam
03-22-2003, 08:58 PM
Rather then start a new thread about frosting, I figured I'd bring this one. While doing a check on my vintage figures I found my Imperial Dignitary had some frosting on his legs. Like many people I was shocked and checked most of my other figures for this. Any way he's cooling his jets in my freezer right now. If this slow down the crystallizing (or stops it) I'll post again.

stillakid
03-22-2003, 11:46 PM
All my vintage seem to be just fine. Then again, they've spent the vast majority of the last 25 years inside Darth Vader cases inside cool dark closets. I just bought a vintage display stand, but now I'm afraid to actually pull the figures out and use it.

Kidhuman
03-23-2003, 12:38 AM
I have 80+ vintage figs and none of them have any crystalizing effects on them. I have them in the Darth Vaders collectors case also and the rest in a shopping bag. I also keep them in a cool closet. Maybe temp has something to do with it since Stillakid and myself keep them in similar conditions. or it could be that we use kid somewhere in our names:confused:

stillakid
03-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I have 80+ vintage figs and none of them have any crystalizing effects on them. I have them in the Darth Vaders collectors case also and the rest in a shopping bag. I also keep them in a cool closet. Maybe temp has something to do with it since Stillakid and myself keep them in similar conditions. or it could be that we use kid somewhere in our names:confused:

:cool:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Nothing on mine either, carded or loose, just some yellowing of some bubbles and stormtrooper legs.

I used to keep my loose ones in a cardboard shoebox and they were fine. I graduated to those special made plastic boxes about 5 years ago and they seem to be doing fine too and as a few others noted, mine are stuffed in a dark, dry closet as well :( How sad!!!

LusiferSam
03-23-2003, 06:13 PM
After checking the rest of my figures, I've found that only figures not original mine have any frost on them. Because they have only been mine a short time (I only started to complete my collecting 4 years ago) I can't say how they were stored before I got them. I can say that all are now stored in my basement in cases (Vader, 3P0, ect). The basement stays pretty cool and close to a constant temperature. Since none of my original figures are frosted (and they have lived in the basement for close to 15 years) I'd assume its nothing I'm doing.

LusiferSam
04-20-2003, 08:40 PM
I thought I'd give an update on my frosted figure. To start I cleaned the crystals off, as well as washing the whole figure, with a q-tip and some plain water. And I keep him (this is the Imperial Dignitary) in the freezer for the last month in a zip lock bag. I have yet to see any new frost form, so at this point I'm going to say what I'm doing is working. But because I think this is a long term affect I'm going keep him in the freezer and see what happens.

LusiferSam
10-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Time for another update on my frosted freezing figures. About a week and half ago I took my Imperial Dignitary out of the freezer and let him rejoin the rest of my vintage figures. So far he has been frost (crystal) free since I cleaned him back in March. Next I'm going to try this on my Death Star Trooper (as he's frosted pretty bad) to see if I get the same results.

Turbowars
10-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Time for another update on my frosted freezing figures. About a week and half ago I took my Imperial Dignitary out of the freezer and let him rejoin the rest of my vintage figures. So far he has been frost (crystal) free since I cleaned him back in March. Next I'm going to try this on my Death Star Trooper (as he's frosted pretty bad) to see if I get the same results. I have heard of collectors getting rid of their MOMC Vintage collection because of this. They were afraid if they kept them any longer they would be worth anything. I also was thinking about starting a 3 3/4 Joe collection, but I was told that the rubber bands have been breaking and the figures fall apart in the bubble. Man, I'm glad I only have 4 vintage carded figures, not that I could afford more anyways.:)