PDA

View Full Version : Vader on Death Star II

Arrogant Arse
04-12-2002, 03:42 PM
At the beginning of Return of the Jedi, we see a Lambda-Class shuttle drop out of a Star Destroyer, and fly over to the Death Star, which Darth Vader gets out of. Did that shuttle drop out of a regular Star Destroyer, or did it drop out of The Executor. I thought that the Executor was "Vader's ship." If it was, what was he doing slumming on a regular Star Destroyer? And how did the Emperor and his entourage get to the Death Star. Did they take the Shuttle all the way from Coruscant, or wherever?

Just wondering.

Any body have any thoughts?

(Can you tell I've seen this movie too many times?)

JediTricks
04-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Interesting question. I don't know the "answer", but probably the Star Destroyers were used to ferry Vader from his SSD (which was probably busy in other actions) and the Emp from Coruscant.

I've never noticed Vader to be too attached to the Executor really, in ESB he was using it to head the fleet actions, but in ANH, he was using a Star Destroyer to track down Leia's Rebel Corvette.

El Chuxter
04-12-2002, 04:48 PM
If Vader's in charge, he could be doing inspections or whatnot on another Destroyer. I know the Executor is definitely around later on in the film.

JT, I don't think that the Executor was built in ANH, so he would've used the Devastator (or another Destroyer) as his flagship. If he even has enough actual political clout to have a flagship. I've always perceived him as being more of a bogeyman, an unofficial enforcer for Palpatine--sorta like the Emperor's Hands from various novels--until Palpatine disbands the Senate in ANH. There are several scenes and comments in ANH that point to Tarkin (if not others) outranking Vader.

LTBasker
04-12-2002, 06:44 PM
Yeah, like Leia's line to Tarkin about him holding Vader's leash. :D

I think the Lambda Shuttles have hyperspace capability, so the Emperor's shuttle could've possibly taken him from Coruscant to the DS2, although they could've gotten ferried part of the way by a Star Destroyer for a "pit stop." :p

hamsterboy
04-13-2002, 01:18 AM
I have a thought. Could the Emperor have been on the Super Star Destroyer? Vader would be on a regular Star Destroyer so not to tip everyone off that the Emperor was there. Just a thought.

JediTricks
04-13-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by hamsterboy
I have a thought. Could the Emperor have been on the Super Star Destroyer? Vader would be on a regular Star Destroyer...That makes the most sense, the Emperor would be given the most protection possible via the SSD, and the flagship of the fleet would be ferrying the top man rather than just Vader. Obviously, the Emperor takes precedence over Vader's traveling needs.

Chux, I honestly don't know if the SSD was built before ANH's events or not. It obviously wasn't covered in the films, so I suppose it's up to the EU.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Chux, I honestly don't know if the SSD was built before ANH's events or not. It obviously wasn't covered in the films, so I suppose it's up to the EU.

According to one of the post #10 Marvel Comics books, the Executor was being built prior to Empire (maybe even before 1980 and Episode V) as the next "super weapon" thingie. I think.

JediTricks
04-14-2002, 10:53 PM
Let me put it as gently as possible, in my list of EU reality, Marvel's versions of events are right down at the bottom of the list along with Decipher's CCG cards.

Darkross
04-16-2002, 10:37 AM
My guess on the matter is that while Vader's ship was the Executor, he may have boarded another SD when the Emperor dispatched him to DS II. That way the Emperor could travel on the SSD from Coruscant to DS II. I don't imagine that the Emperor would have traveled from Coruscant on just his shuttle even though it is capable of light speed, but it is not very well equiped or shielded. Therefore, I say that the Emperor arrived at DS II via SSD "Executor".

DarthMaulSithLord
04-16-2002, 04:18 PM
I think it's the Executor Vader's Shuttle drops out off, but i am not sure.

According to the CD-ROM Behind The Magic, it is rumoured that The Emperor's personal Shuttle is equipped with a cloaking device. So yes, it probably made the trip from Coruscant on it's own.

:)

Darkross
04-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
I think it's the Executor Vader's Shuttle drops out off, but i am not sure.

According to the CD-ROM Behind The Magic, it is rumoured that The Emperor's personal Shuttle is equipped with a cloaking device. So yes, it probably made the trip from Coruscant on it's own.

:)

Maybe so about the cloaking device...but Vader's shuttle drops out of an Imperial Class Star Destroyer...not the Executor!

Starfig873
04-17-2002, 11:47 AM
I just kinda thought that he used a normal Destroyer because, well...the Executor is reeeally hard to miss don't you think? :p
And Moff Jerrijerrod seemed surprised and startled at Vader's arrival, sooo maybe that was the whole idea behind not using the Executor in the first place? Make it a suprise visit to make Jerrijerrod be on his toes maybe?

"sir the Executor is out there"
"Wha? Eep! It must be Vader!"
See? That takes away all the surprise.
Where as this: "Sir there's a Star Destroyer out there"
"Mmkay....aaand?"
"They launched a shuttle..."
"aaaand?"
"Lord Vader is on board"
"Urk"
Much better I think. :)

DarthMaulSithLord
04-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Saw your art page. Damn good Star Wars drawings! I love that Sebulba, the Raptor and the two creatures from "The Truce Of Bakura". It's a Rogue Squadron book, right?

I am really impressed!

:eek:

187-Maul
04-19-2002, 08:18 AM
just checked it too and WOW that sebulba looks great !