PDA

View Full Version : How Phantom Menace was robbed for an Oscar!

RooJay
04-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Yes, you heard me right, but it's not what you think: The Phantom Menace was robbed of it's Best Costume Design Oscar!
Regardless of what you think of the movie itself, you have to admit that Episode One had some phenomenal costume designs (looks like AOTC does too for that matter!). From the Jedi outfits worn by Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, to the costume worn by Ray Park as Darth Maul, to the fantastic designs worn by the characters in the Coruscant scenes, right down the myriad of beautiful outfits worn by Natalie Portman throughout the movie! What's really disturbing is that it wasn't even nominated in this category! To make matters worse, the Oscar that night went to The Talented Mr. Ripley! Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the costumes used in this movie designed way back in the fifties, by someone other than Ripley's costume designer?! You can even find a lot of that style of clothing at thrift shops! This has always bothered me. I wonder, I am the first person to note this particular injustice? Probably not, but I think it bears further discussion.:mad:

SithDroid
04-12-2002, 07:31 PM
No argument there. Modern clothing (20th century) is quite easy to replicate and can be found at many thrift stores if you actually want vintage clothing. I believe a lot more creativty goes into creating SW, LOTR, Harry Potter, or any sci-fi/fantasy movie costumes. These designers are having to completely make up the designs for this stuff off the top of their head. Queen Amidala's clothing alone is worth an Oscar. On TPM DVD there is a section showing the process that went into making the clothing. You don't see these costumes lying in a thrift store.:D

LTBasker
04-12-2002, 07:34 PM
And when the Neimodian costumes, the Naboo forces, etc., it really should've won. Considering all you had to do for 50's clothing was get some people from then that worked with clothes but Star Wars had to be done from scratch.

JediTricks
04-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Some of Amidala's dresses are actually Asian royalty designs from over 100 years ago with few changes.

Anyway, I don't think they were robbed really, I was not thrilled with the costuming, it was servicable but I thought it missed some of the needs of the film and made some characters look foolish.

LTBasker
04-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Granted they could've put some pants on 3PO, but I thought alot of the costumes were cool, I don't really care for Amidala's dresses though, as that was just too many dresses for a single movie, but I thought Rune's outfit was kinda interesting, especially the Naboo Royal Guards and Coruscant Guards.

RooJay
04-14-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Some of Amidala's dresses are actually Asian royalty designs from over 100 years ago with few changes.

Anyway, I don't think they were robbed really, I was not thrilled with the costuming, it was servicable but I thought it missed some of the needs of the film and made some characters look foolish.

They weren't ACTUALLY "asian royalty designs". They were BASED on clothing worn by royalty in certain asian countries, but they were pretty fantastical at the same time. Besides, costume designs in all movies have to be based on something.

JediTricks
04-15-2002, 12:07 AM
I gotta dunno RooJay, I believe the senate outfit is heavily borrowed from pictures of a Mongolian royal's dress from a National Geographic from like 80 years ago. (Here ya go, story on TheForce.net (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=4577))

Iain McCaig, head costume designer for Ep 1, talked about these Amidala design influences in a different story, but I forget which. The point I was making was that in some of the major costumes for Amidala, it's not as creative as it seems (to me).

RooJay
04-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I gotta dunno RooJay, I believe the senate outfit is heavily borrowed from pictures of a Mongolian royal's dress from a National Geographic from like 80 years ago. (Here ya go, story on TheForce.net (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=4577))

Iain McCaig, head costume designer for Ep 1, talked about these Amidala design influences in a different story, but I forget which. The point I was making was that in some of the major costumes for Amidala, it's not as creative as it seems (to me).

I see your point. Regardless, this is not the case with all the costumes from the movies, and this design is still more fantastic and imaginative than any of the costumes in Talented Mr. Ripley.

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 02:02 AM
Basing an all new design on a historical garment is completely different that recreating an actual piece of clothing. All good design work is based on something, the problem with a lot of CG designs is that no physical limitations are present so designers can throw out real world physics and work completely off their imaginations, which is why many movies have such horrible design work.

I totally agree with RooJay, Ep1 deserved the costume design Oscar more than any movie. It was also robbed of the best visual effects Oscar by The Matrix which stole all of it's visual effects ideas from a GAP commercial.

2-1B
05-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
the problem with a lot of CG designs is that no physical limitations are present so designers can throw out real world physics and work completely off their imaginations

Yep, it may be otherworldly but it has to have that "lived in" look. :)

corporal AMF
05-12-2002, 11:34 PM
You know that Hollywood people don't like GL very much and didn't want to give GL an oscar, so it doesn't matter if it were about clothing, costumes, special effects....I believe it's going to be hard AOTC get a nomination compiting LOTR 1 & 2, People from LA don't like directors from San Francisco

bigbarada
05-13-2002, 04:54 AM
Most of Hollywood hates GL because he can do what they all want to do but can't. He can make movies HIS way with no interference from a studio. People will forgive a lot of things in life; but they will never forgive success.

RooJay
05-14-2002, 04:35 AM
Well said!

skyywalkerr
05-23-2002, 09:14 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Jedi Tricks...I have been trying to find that picture for a LONG time to show a friend who didn't believe me...you rock!

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 07:18 PM
Sure thing, glad I could help. :cool:

chris
06-04-2002, 01:57 PM
I thought Episode 1 was definitely a more deserving movie to win. The costumes were very original. Maybe AOTC will stand a better chance.