PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart - The Midnight Hour

Freedom
04-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Just talked to my friendly Memphis, TN area Wal-Mart Toy dept. mgr. She says Toy dept employees have to come in at 10 pm on April 22 to put out the new toys. Then she has to guard the shelf until midnight. She says the items won't ring up until their register clocks hit midnight.

I told her I'd be seein' her at 11:45pm. She really thinks people like us are crazy.

By the way, she still won't sell me a Tie Bomber.

SuperBattleDroid88
04-13-2002, 09:49 AM
I'll probably arrive at my Wal-Mart at 11:30pm..............
I just wonder if there are a lot of collecters around here....
I know one Wal-Mart employee told me that there is a lot of Hot Wheels collectors here but never said anything about Starwars....
I guess I'll find out in 10 days....................................... :rolleyes:

I just hope there're is not a bunch of Scalpers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frus:

jad
04-13-2002, 11:34 AM
I know what you mean.

I don't think there are too many collectors in my area. And my local Walmart is having a midnight opening for the Ep II toys. The Preview figures have been selling around here, just not super super fast.

So hopefully there won't be too many folks arriving at midnight and i'll be able to shop slow and casual. I know exactly what I want, but i'd like to be able to shop calmly and look for the best paint versions of each figure I want. And just be able to enjoy shopping and looking at everything.

I plan on arriving at 11:30 p.m. to make sure people aren't lining up :)

If only 10 days could be 1 day ;)

SuperBattleDroid88
04-13-2002, 12:54 PM
Yeah just in case I'll arrive early................
I want to get the best paint detail and not rush to get them........
What an eventful night this will turn out to be!!!!!! :)

sith_killer_99
04-13-2002, 01:05 PM
11:30?

11:45?

I plan on arriving @ 6:00pm!!!! I want to watch them put out all the figures.

I am also calling in advance to find out who will have the biggest shipment!

hehehe

aharry
04-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Still haven't decided if I'm going to Wal-Mart or TRU. The guy at my local TRU told me that the plan was to get a few shopping carts and fill each cart with one type of figure each. That sounds easy enough for me. But that was about a month and a half ago and he probably didn't realize that there would be 27 figures released. Probably won't really know until the night of the 22nd when I venture around town and see what place looks the best.

SuperBattleDroid88
04-13-2002, 01:16 PM
So when are they going to start stocking them up?
I want to watch them stock the figures also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

CrossWizard
04-13-2002, 01:32 PM
Back in 99' my local TRU did something similar to that, they divided figures into those big cage like metal bins, in one bin there was Obi Wan, Qui Gon, anakin, Mace, and the 2 Padmes, another bin had Maul, Sidious, the Battle Droids, Palpatine and Vallorum, and the last bin had the freaks(Jar Jar, Watto etc.)

Dar' Argol
04-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Freedom
By the way, she still won't sell me a Tie Bomber.

Have you checked the "TIE Bomber for sale" thread in The POTJ forum? I posted the E-mail that was sent down. Now it does not say "The TIE Bomber and SS are ok to sell" but it does say about putting all other SW items on the sales floor.

Freedom
04-13-2002, 05:11 PM
As of 4/12, she says they haven't received any notice to put those items out yet.

Dar' Argol
04-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Tell her to check the E-mail again. It does not say"put the TIE out" but it does say, and I quote "Any other Star Wars item without this case marking may be put to the sales floor immediately."

Tell her it was the last line of the E-mail concerning SW AOTC. If you have to print the post out and show her. Or tell her to contact the "POS Hotline" and ask them.

Maybe she never saw the cases as they were most likely put out at night. So therefore, she cannot tell if the cases had the markings on them or not. You could always go for the "Green Back vs Blue Back" arguement:confused:. Just trying to help you out Freedom:(.

steve3p0
04-13-2002, 05:42 PM
i might consider going if i knew for sure they would have everything out and i wouldn't have to hang out at walmart until 2am hasseling the store clerks to bring out the merchandise.

on the other hand, i hear stores are sitting on hundreds of cases, so perhaps going right at midnight isnt a necessity and everything that's there then will still be there the following afternoon.

SuperBattleDroid88
04-13-2002, 05:45 PM
I'm going because I want to see what it is like....
I never have been to one..................
I was going to go the following morning...... but..... Why not go when they bring them out and be one of the first to get them......
I also hope they bring them out on midnight too..........
All that waiting until midnight and they don't even have them out yet.... I would be mad!!!!!! :mad:

therock0603
04-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Hey Freedom. I live in the Memphis area too. About 2 weeks ago, the American Way Wal-Mart and the one on Goodman in Olive Branch had the first wave of collection 2 figures. I took the opportunity to get them. Got 3 at American Way and 3 at Olive Branch. Both of them have taken them off the shelves now though. At Olive Branch, it rang up as "Sale Not Allowed," but the woman didn't care and tried some numbers until she figured out ones that would work and sold them to me. Yay. So the person you talked to... was she toy dept. manager for the whole area or was it just a singe store? And which Wal-Mart?

Freedom
04-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Rock,

It was actually the Millington store, but I figured it would be standard throughout the Memphis area.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 11:45 AM
For those of us who have 24/7 supercenters, I wonder if they'll let us get them before 12 am, but not let us actually pay for them until the midnight hour. I'd like to get to the store at 11 and see if they'll let us put them in our carts and then kick it for an hour. I'd like to be there for midnight madness, but don't want to put up with any nonsense. There's always one or two people who have to grab everything or just push their way through and keep others from getting what they want.

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 11:49 AM
I plan on going to the SuperCenter here before midnight, getting some stuff, then dropping by TRU to check out if they have any of those cool certificates and maybe get a couple Battle Droids or something to get the certificate and then going back to Wal-Mart later in the day to put the more expensive stuff in lay-a-way.

he-ro
04-15-2002, 12:24 PM
When I went to my local Wal-Mart, all they had were Tusken Raider with Child, Plo Koon, Boba Fett, Shaak Ti, Battle Droid, and Captain Typho. I hope they get addittional assortments, otherwise I'm goin to TRU.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by he-ro
When I went to my local Wal-Mart, all they had were Tusken Raider with Child, Plo Koon, Boba Fett, Shaak Ti, Battle Droid, and Captain Typho. I hope they get addittional assortments, otherwise I'm goin to TRU.

All they had...LOL :D

Freak man, a lot of WMs haven't ever accidentally put out EP2 stuff yet. I think if you've found anything before 4/23 you're pretty fortunate. They'll have everything by midnight madness so don't sweat it. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 09:48 PM
I think the best idea to avoid total madness and chaos at MM is for the employees to hand out the figures. What they should do is have everybody get in a line and walk past a employees who have either a single type of figure or a few types. They'll have a sign telling you what they have and you tell them what you want from them. They give out only one of each figure per person per trip through the line, that way you are more likely to get what you want. If you want duplicates either bring a friend or go through the line more than once or just wait until the crowd dies down.

Of course the stores won't do that because they won't want to spare all those employees for the twenty or thirty minutes that it will be going on. Plus they'll want to see us fighting it out a la Gladiator for the Count Dookus.