PDA

View Full Version : Saga background cards (merged)

Hellboy
04-13-2002, 01:30 PM
I'm wondering which figures people have been running into more? Those with the background insert or the those without? I want to open a few of my doubles but am afraid to because I have some with and others without and don't know which type is the variant or corrected version.

Jedi_Rainman
04-13-2002, 01:32 PM
The figures with the background cards came out first and then Hasbro scrapped them and made all the figures without them. Everything I have and what I have seen all have no background cards.

JediDan
04-13-2002, 05:41 PM
The only ones i have that have backgrounds are Plo Koon, Tusken Raider, Baby Fett, Cpt. Typho. Does anyone else have a HUGE sticker on the back of their Super Battle Droid???? Mine does over the directions.. About 1/3 the size of the card.

AmanaMatt
04-13-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm going to try and get the figures that came with the backgrounds originally, but which wave or set did they stop with?
I've seen the 2nd set of Coll 2, and to my knowledge, those never had them...

thanks

Dar' Argol
04-13-2002, 06:33 PM
This was the case assortment with the background:

Collection 1
Asst # 848510012
2 x Anakin Skywalker™ (Outland Peasant Disguise)
2 x Super Battle Droid™
2 x Obi Wan Kenobi™ (Coruscant Chase)
2 x Jango Fett™ (Kamino Escape)
1 x Padmé Amidala™ (Arena Escape)
1 x C-3PO™ (Protocol Droid)
1 x Kit Fisto™
1 x R2-D2™ (Coruscant Sentry)

I have also seen a couple of other case assortments that had C-3PO with a background but no other fig had one.

Dar' Argol
04-13-2002, 06:35 PM
This is the set that had the background cards in them:

Collection 1
Asst # 848510012
2 x Anakin Skywalker™ (Outland Peasant Disguise)
2 x Super Battle Droid™
2 x Obi Wan Kenobi™ (Coruscant Chase)
2 x Jango Fett™ (Kamino Escape)
1 x Padmé Amidala™ (Arena Escape)
1 x C-3PO™ (Protocol Droid)
1 x Kit Fisto™
1 x R2-D2™ (Coruscant Sentry)

I have also seen C-3PO w/a background in a couple other assortments for Collection 1.

AmanaMatt
04-13-2002, 07:13 PM
thanks. that's less figures that had them that I realized.

Was C-3p0 in a coll 2 or 1?

I wonder if that was it? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Was the backgrounds the same, or different based on the scene in the movie the character was in?

Wolfwood319
04-13-2002, 07:14 PM
So the figures with the backgrounds is what all you variation hunters will be scrambling for on the 23rd eh?

Good, this gives me somewhat an advantage, in case I run into other people, I'll go straight for those without backgrounds.

I'm surprised Hasbro went with them in the first place. Spending money when they don't have to, that doesn't sound like Hasbro to me.

Dar' Argol
04-13-2002, 07:21 PM
C-3PO is in Collection 1. But there are a couple different case assortments of C1.

The backgrounds are different, sorta. The figs that are Arena Battle are the same. othere then that I think the rest are diff. I really didn't look that hard, I just noticed them this morning.

AmanaMatt
04-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks alot for the info.

boss nass
04-13-2002, 07:44 PM
all my coll. 2 figs have backgounds:confused:

AmanaMatt
04-13-2002, 07:52 PM
AH! Collection 2 wave 1 (or 2 )?

Would you mind listing them (and are they different or similar?)

jobi
04-13-2002, 07:57 PM
My ep2 Tusken Mommy, Boba Fett, Shaak Ti, and Capt. Typho all have background cards.

But, my Plo Koon and Battle Droid don't.

JediDan
04-13-2002, 08:10 PM
Thats probably why Hasbro stopped making them. That extra $.02-.03 to make those backgrounds was cutting into their profit margin. ;)

boss nass
04-13-2002, 08:24 PM
hey does yor battle droid have 2 left arms?

LTBasker
04-13-2002, 08:34 PM
All the figures that have been sighted with backgrounds are all the original 14 figures plus I've seen the background and non-background variants of the Geonosian Warrior on ebay but I haven't seen the other 4 figures from that wave being seen with a background.

AmanaMatt
04-13-2002, 09:31 PM
thanks a lot, everybody.

jobi
04-13-2002, 10:03 PM
No, my Battle Droids arms are normal.

boss nass
04-13-2002, 10:07 PM
i must got a rare variation then GREAT

swcollector
04-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Did hasbro do away with them?

I have only seen the first wave of collection 1 and first wave of collection 2 with the background images in the cards.

so these are the only figures that had background images in them?

01 - Anakin Skywalker (Outland Peasant Disguise)
02 - Padmé Amidala (Arena Escape)
03 - Obi-Wan Kenobi (Coruscant Chase)
04 - C-3PO (Protocol Droid)
05 - Kit Fisto (Jedi Master)
06 - Super Battle Droid
07 - Boba Fett (Kamino Escape)
08 - Tusken Raider Female with Tusken Child
09 - Captain Typho (Padmé’s Head of Security)
10 - Shaak Ti (Jedi Master)
11 - Battle Droid (Arena Battle)
12 - Plo Koon (Arena Battle)
13 - Jango Fett (Kamino Escape)
14 - R2-D2 (Coruscant Sentry)

just curious

Beast
04-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Yes, they did away with them, not sure why. Probably just figured they were pretty useless, anyway. After all, they are not fullcolor images of backgrounds from the movie, and can't stand up on their own. If they really wanna include somthing cheap in the packaging, I'll take a stand. :)

I have seen images of Dexter Jettster, Geonosian, Saesee Tiin and Nikto: Jedi Knight with them as well, but those could just be salesman's sample mock-ups. I don't recall ever seeing Jar Jar from the same asst. with a background in any picture.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-22-2002, 05:04 PM
I found Dexter, Geonosian Warrior, Nikto Jedi, Saesee Tiin, Battle Droid Arena Battle, and Jar Jar Senator at Babbages three days ago (they were just sitting there on the pegs! I even asked the guy behind the counter if they were just for display or o.k. to buy, and he offered to bring me more!). None of them had backgrounds. They also had Deluxe Obi Wan, Dooku, and Mace.

JangoFeet
05-24-2002, 06:27 PM
I got into collecting Saga toys a few weeks late, so I kinda missed out on the whole "background" thing. Although today at Target they had a BUNCH of new figs(well, old) and I picked up Jango Kamino Escape and Anakin Outland with those wacky backgrounds, as well as a Boba Fett(no background).
Can anyone tell me why the early figs had these, and now they dont? And are the ones with the background worth more, or just rarer than those without?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Figures #1-16 are the only ones with/without backgrounds.

Lord Tenebrous
05-24-2002, 06:51 PM
It was supposed to be a way to beautify the figure in the card, but Hasbro was dissatisfied by the way the cards would bend in the bubble, so they ditched the idea.

Dexter and the Geonosian Warrior are slightly harder to find with the background card, but for the most part, it has no bearing on trade value, other than something for variation hunters to look for.

LTBasker
05-24-2002, 09:32 PM
Sacul also had a background card but since he's not a basic retail figure, he's not always counted on the background cards. Plus if you want his background, it's basically just a mis-colored small version of the hangar background offered in the Rebel Pilots cinema scene.

If you want to get at least one figure with a background, I'd hunt down the Tusken Mother, I was able to find a couple and open one a few days ago and her background is very nice. The colors are off on all the backgrounds but hers could be passed as "Tatooine morning" setting and it looks like the "tent" in the picture is to scale with her or just slightly off as it is actually taller in the picture than the figure is. If you got multiple of these, they might not look too bad when lined up with each other. :cool:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2002, 09:45 PM
Hasbro said (in person) that they canned the bg cards because of inconsistencies.

JON9000
05-25-2002, 11:07 AM
I went out yesterday and found all of the carded figures except for Dexter. R2 and the Genosian Warrior were a bit difficult to come up with but they are out there. For what its worth, I thought the backgrounds were cool and were worth continuing. The figures do stand out more on the card with the generic card backing only however.

jedi_uk73
05-25-2002, 12:39 PM
I got 4 cards with Backgrounds.

Boba Fett, Battle Droid & Tusken Female.

I know thats only 3 but here's the big one.....

Dexter Jettster with background & PIPE TEXT.

Found it a my local TRU the other day. cost me £5.99. I've seen it listed at a few collectors stores for £18-£20.

Was I happy or what !!!