PDA

View Full Version : Pod Racers: Another Plea!!

Beast
04-13-2002, 04:10 PM
I know there have been a few threads about pod racers, and how we all want more. But the fact we are getting Teemto later this year, made me look at my list again. And there is a serious lack of pod racer pilot figures. So far since 1999 we have only gotten 3 of the 18 racers. Teemto will be the 4th, since I refuse to even count the Anakin that comes with his racer as number 4, as it was a horrible figure.

The POTJ Anakin really should have included his pod race helmet. Atleast then the figure would have had some redeeming qualities. Come on Hasbro, start doing 2-packs since the bubbles have so much extra room. Just pack a small charecter in with a larger charecter. Here is the charecters that still need to be made:

Pod Race Pilots:
Aldar Beedo
Anakin Skywalker
Ark "Bumpy" Roose
Ben Quadinaros
Boles Roor
Clegg Holdfast
Dud Bolt
Ebe Endocott
Elan Mak
Mars Guo
Mawhonic
Neva Kee
Ratts Tyerell
Wan Sandage

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthMaulSithLord
04-13-2002, 05:12 PM
It would be nice if they made packs of a Podpilot with a Pit- or similar droid and chucked in a toolbox with some accessories, like the ones seen in the Asian 2-packs. I'd also like to see 2 more podracers w/pilot pack-ins. A set with Ben Quadinaros and his speeder w/electronic sounds would be nice.

PS: i thought Sebulba sucked and i really loved that Anni figure. The likeness is dead-on IMO.

:)

RooJay
04-15-2002, 08:52 PM
More missed opportunities in my opinion. Hasbro could've and still can stand to make lots of money on these guys. Especially if were given each of their pods as well.

SithDroid
04-15-2002, 10:50 PM
I'd like to see all the Pod Race Pilots made as well. I'd really like it if they started packing them in with their actual Pod Racers. I mean, how are you supposed to have a pod race with only two podracers. It is kind of lame. Release all the pods and the pilots please Hasbro.

Wolfwood319
04-15-2002, 11:16 PM
The chances of Hasbro releasing all the pods are zip to zilch. I would like more Pods though, at least pods for Ody and Gasgano. Of course I'd like Hasbro to release a bunch of new vehicles. But I would like a few more Pods and racers. Maybe a Pod 2-pack.

Eternal Padawan
04-15-2002, 11:58 PM
I agree that you don't need ALL 18 pods. But a few of the more stand out vehicles, like Mawhonic's green engined jobby, and Teemto's donut shaped cockpit, and BenQuad's four engined ship and pods for Gasgano and Ody, would make pod fanatics happy for a good long while.

evenflow
04-16-2002, 10:47 AM
I think a few would be cool, but not all have to be made. There are so many cool characters n the Star Wars Universe that should be made first.

El Chuxter
04-16-2002, 12:08 PM
Heck, Ben Quad could be a deluxe figure with the little fella, his cockpit, and a working parachute. :)

DarthMaulSithLord
04-16-2002, 12:48 PM
Hasbro could release 2-4 Podracers each year. For starters i would like to see these (each comes w/electronics & 2 Pit Droids w/tools)

- Ben Quadinaros w/Pod.
- Teemto Pagalies w/Pod.
- Gasgano w/Pod.
- Ody Mandrell w/Pod.

Retail price: $24.99 each.

Also, they should be scaled down to match the other two that are already out. If they made them to scale now it would look ridiculous.

:D

Jargo
04-16-2002, 02:49 PM
Not really feasible to release the pods but the pilots could be made. Not all of them because god alone knows it's taken them long enough to get round to making a couple more ewoks. Ben Quadinaros is a likely candidate and Anakin with pod helmet.
Those two would probably make it to a 2-pack but the others are far too obscure.

DarthMaulSithLord
04-16-2002, 02:55 PM
I don't want to be sarcastic, but most of the Star Wars figures released nowadays are obscure.

Jargo
04-16-2002, 03:18 PM
The ones from the original trilogy may be obscure to new fans but for most of us we've had 25 years to get to know just who is who. The cantina creatures are not obscure really. The podracers were seen for a tiny moment or two and only then in the DVD cut scenes. They are obscure in that if you asked an average fan to point at a random pod pilot and name them they wouldn't be able to. Save for gasgano, Sebulba, Ben Quadinaros, Ody mandrell and Anakin. Teemto is a bit obscure too but he has a cute appeal which makes him marketable in a kids oriented year. When he hits in July the kids will still be reeling and hyped from the movie and he fits their demographic perfectly. The others are too weird to sell well from a marketing strategy POV.
Another Anakin would sell well this year but only if packed with something cool like another pod pilot. The pilot with the next highest profile is ben Quadinaros who featured quite prominently in the actual movie of TPM. He also has the cute appeal factor which sell well to kids as I have previously mentioned.

Point is, Hasbro won't put a lot of effort into making new vehicles with a new movie out and afterwards when they can think about the other vehicles a bit more they wouldn't consider making any more than two tops. It's not commercially viable to make thousands of essentially the same vehicle with slight differences. There's only so much they can do. It's more likely they would make landspeeders or swoop bikes, fighter craft or villain ships. Signature vehicles of recognisable characters. not some pod racer from the background that nobody saw in the movie.

Obi-Don
04-21-2002, 08:15 AM
I to would like a few more pods made. I don't think it all 18 need to be made but if they did I would buy them. I don't know where I would put them,maybe move some furniture out?

DarthMaulSithLord
04-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Good idea!!!

*throws out his bed and the can*

:p

Beast
06-29-2002, 09:19 PM
Since new loose pictures are showing up of Teemto Pagalies, and causing quite a bit of excitment in the Saga forum. I decided that now would be a good time to knock this back up to the top to discuss getting more pod racer aliens. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
06-29-2002, 09:45 PM
I was quite peevish with that last post but it does make sense.
I'm not against new pod pilots. I'd quite like to see ben Quadinaros and Ratts Tyerell in a two pack. Mars Gou and Dud bolt together. Ark Bumpy Roose and Mawhonic, Anakin (with removable helmet and dirty face) and Aldar Beedo, Kitster and Wald. What? They aren't pod pilots? Oh, i just thought that they might count as pod mechanics for Anakin....... (worth a try) :D

All pod pilots could pack with power packs and tools and engine performance test screens. Obviously removable helmets and goggle all round.
The accessory packs that were so short lived from the episode one line could be re-utilised as accessories for pod pilots 2-packs, so everyone has a chance of getting those cool bits and pieces.
I don't see a need for all the pod pilots but definately some more.
And if there's to be new racer pods then please let it be Teemto's because the donut shaped cockpit is so cool! :) Sorry, I'm totally biased towards Teemto right now after seeing properly how they did him.

YAY! Bring on the pod pilot 2-packs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Tenebrous
06-29-2002, 10:36 PM
At $25, the pods were never a great sell, but pilots can be put in just about any scene you want.

my picks:

* Ratts Tyerell with Podrace Balloon
* Mars Guo with Podrace Cam Droid
* Aldar Beedo with Power Droid
* Mawhonic with electronic Starting Light and Lap Indicators
* Boles Roor with Jawa
* Dud Bolt and Neva Kee
* Wan Sandage with Pit Droid and power source
* Ark "Bumpy" Roose and R5-X2

Beast
12-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Decided to give this another kick to the top, seeing how the Pod Race poll is doing. I still think Hasbro should do two 2-packs of Pod Pilots a year. Just pair them up in larger and smaller sets, and release them. We still need a decent Anakin Skywalker: Pod Racer also.

Still silly that after all the lil kiddie Ani's that we got, we never got one with a removable race helmet. Do a screen scene from the Pod Race, that way you can take care of some often requested figures. C-3PO: Pod Race Flag Bearer, Anakin Skywalker: Pod Race Pilot, Kitster, and Wald. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks