PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Anthony Daniels!!

Beast
04-13-2002, 10:51 PM
I am a member of Media Plays club, where you get points and special magazines for being a member. And the latest magazine from them had a interview with Hayden Christensen and Anthony Daniels. I am typing up the A.D. one for now, as the Hayden one is even longer, and I will do it when my fingers relax. :D Enjoy!!

Same Suit, Different Movie
Anthony Daniels isn't a master of Star Wars trivia, but the man who plays C-3PO is getting used to the whole droid thing.
By Stephen Lynch

You may think a movie series as expensive as Star Wars could afford a few upgrades. But no. When Anthony Daniels climbed into android C-3PO's skin for Episode II, it was the same constricting, suffocating shell he'd first worn more then 20 years ago.

"I would look at Hayden [Christensen, who plays Anakin Skywalker] with his beautiful clothes, and think, "I want his role;" Daniels admits, in a familiar woebegone British accent. Even R2-D2 got an overhaul, "and if 3PO realizes that, he's going to be very, very hurt. He's suffered enough."

C-3PO seems to be made to suffer. That's his lot in life. And Daniels' lot, much to his suprise, is to play the most put-upon, persnickety cyborg ever to grace the screen. During the original 1977 film, "I'm saying, 'Hello, I am C-3-P-O', and thinking it was just rubbish, silly. I didn't think it would work at all," he says. "I was proved so wrong."

Just how wrong he was became apparent when Daniels found himself returning, four films later, to the same set in the Tunisian desert that kicked off the first Star Wars. This time around, we'll meet Luke Skywalker's future foster parents, Owen Lars and Beru Whitesun, and learn a little about what pushed Anakin Skywalker to become the evil Darth Vader.

"I also get to do something I've always wanted to do, something you've never seen C-3PO do before....," Daniels says, before he's cut off by a representative from Lucasfilm. "I can't tell?" the actor laments. "Let's just say it's out of charecter...but it becomes his charecter."

Daniels does let slip that 3PO gets his skin in this episode, though it looks more ramshackle than in later chapters, with silver and gold junkyard parts. In The Phantom Menace and early parts of Attack of the Clones, C-3PO is an animatronic creation operated by Daniels and other puppeteers. For those early scenes, the gangly android was attached to the front of Daniels' body, mimicking his movements, and Daniels was later erased, "like some awful Russian way of redefining history."

Fans can also look forward to a scene in which C-3PO is somehow maimed or decapitated, a feature of almost every Star Wars movie.

"George [Lucas] is a decent person, but he has a strange predilection for dismantling C-3PO," Daniels says. "It's like pulling the wings off flies. He does it every chance he can."

Though Daniels considers this "slightly cruel," he understands what makes it a series mainstay. "3PO has no sense of humor- that's like his main source of comic potential." he says.

As one of the only actors to appear in every Star Wars movie, Daniels has made peace with the fact that C-3PO is his signiture role, even if he's still trying to figure out the plot line. When Lucas told him he was constructed by Anakin, "I thought, "How lovely, because Alec Guinness was so kind to me on Star Wars, it was great to be created by his charecter."

Of course, Guinness played Obi-Wan Kenobi, "and Anakin is the other one," Daniels says, sighing deeply. "I only just figured out making this one, that, oh, Amidala is going to be {Princess Leia's] mom."

While he may not know as much as the fans do, Daniels does have moments that make all the suffering in the suit worthwhile. "Parents come up to me with their kid, and they look at [me] with such disintrest. And [I] tell them to close their eyes and..."- at this point he breaks into C-3PO, a deeper, more polite British voice than Daniels' own- "...and their faces just light up. I cannot tell you the joy that gives me."

LTBasker
04-14-2002, 03:56 AM
Hmm... I wonder if they used repainted pieces from the old 3PO props like they did with Luke's speeder for Episode 1 or just made them again. I'd guess they made them again since Daniels is probably sized differently than he was back then.

I'm pretty sure we already know about what happens to 3PO don't we? Well he's not the only one getting dismembered obviously. :D

2-1B
04-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Binksy, when did you get that issue? I'm a member too, but I haven't received it yet.

Beast
04-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Binksy, when did you get that issue? I'm a member too, but I haven't received it yet.
A week or so ago, I believe. Infact I also took my new signiture quote from the issue. I just find it funny as heck that Anthony Daniels thought that Obi-Wan was the one that built him. And that he didn't realize Padme was momma Skywalker until this film. He's a great guy, I just love british actors. :D What did you think of Hayden's brother's reaction to him getting cast?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
04-14-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm wondering what scene he is referring to that is supposedly so out of character. I'm thinking it was the part where he hugs Padme after she puts his coverings on; but, oops!, that's already been cut out and rewritten. Poor guy, his one shining moment gets left on the cutting room floor. :)

Jargo
04-14-2002, 05:08 PM
The 3PO suit is the ROTJ one repainted. It was featured in an article on the official site some months back. Can't remember who was being imterviewed but it was one of the FX crew or the costumiers. Anyways the reason Daniels is saying the suit felt the same for him is because it was the same suit. He had to slim down to get into it again. :) Can you imagine, Anthony Daniels having to diet!!! That's like asking Calista Flockhart to diet. :crazed:

JEDIpartner
04-14-2002, 07:16 PM
:eek: "Oh, my!"

Yeah... A.D. needs to be on a diet like Camryn Manheim needs a doughnut! Threepio has always been a favourite of mine. I read that article as well and thought... "Great! Now we get to see him as we like him... With 'coverings and all'... "

:D

Wolfwood319
04-14-2002, 07:28 PM
I just got this issue yesterday, this is the second issue in a row with a star wars article. The last one, with Pearl Harbor on the cover, had an article about E2 as well.

I also liked the anime review in this issue. Most nice, IMO.