PDA

View Full Version : Life as a house

THE Slayer
04-14-2002, 12:54 AM
Now that this is out on dvd has anyone picked it up? I rented it and pretty much liked the movie. It was funny, well funnier than I ever expected. And what was with Hayden's opening scene, scarfing? I won't elaborate due to adult content, but hey.

2-1B
04-14-2002, 01:15 AM
I've been singing its praises since I saw it in December, and I was delighted to buy the DVD on March 26th. The movie is good, not great. But I think Kevin Kline and Hayden deliver superb performances. :) I'm excited for HC's turn in AOTC.

Oh, there is definitely some adult content! :D

If you rented the DVD, I recommend the behind the scenes features, they aren't too long but it offers a bit of insight.

bigbarada
04-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Just watched this movie today and I was really impressed with Hayden's performance. Makes me even more excited to see AOTC.:cool:

derek
04-22-2002, 08:17 PM
i watched this film the other day, and i have to agree with the reviews i've been reading by my local newspaper: "american beauty ripoff"

it was an OK film, but unlike american beauty, it's secondary characters were very undefined. i felt some of them were just thrown in to fill time. the performances were good, and i have a lot of hope for hayden post star wars, but this would of been a better film if it had only concentrated on the father son relationship.

2-1B
04-23-2002, 04:43 AM
I agree that the secondary development was vague and should have been scrapped, but to call it an "American Beauty ripoff" is harsh. derek, what do you see as the similarities? I see some minor ones, but I don't think of them as anything major.

derek
04-23-2002, 05:36 PM
caeser,

i wasn't a big fan of american beauty. i thought presented a very cynical view of what the american family. but, with that said, i think "life as a house" is the kind of film that got the green light because of "american beauty's" success.

both films had:
adult/teen relationship
sullen teens
aloof parents
teen girl exploring her sexuality
portrayed the young male character as a disfunctional freak
life changing events for the main character

"life", though, did have a somewhat positive ending, where "american beauty" portrayed any overly-hetrosexual male as a closet murdering homosexual.

again, i would of ditched the secondary characters and concentrated on the father/son stroy.

oh, and scott bakula was in both movies!:crazed:

2-1B
04-25-2002, 02:33 AM
Okay derek, that's fair. I was ready to pounce on the idea of the teen/adult thing because I was thinking of Kevine Kline/Jena Malone but then realized that the point is in reference to Mary Steenburgen's character. All of those similarities apply, I just think they are all minor points, points that I think should have been scrapped with your suggestion of the minor characters.

It's just that to me the 2 father characters are so completely different, Kline and Spacey were both good but playing different directions. When I think of American Beauty, I can't draw comparisons between these two.

Well, let me split hairs on one thing - yes, both male teens are portrayed as "freaks", but I would add the word "creepy" to my description of Wes Bentley. :D

Eternal Padawan
04-26-2002, 09:59 AM
Jason Robards was in both films, too! When I saw LAAH, I immediately thought American Beauty-Lite. But I made that comparison in a good way. I just love the dialogue. How you can tell everybody is thinking about something else because the conversations are so disjointed like real life. There were some odd sequences, but overall I had it in my top ten for the year.

I don't think American Beauty was trying to peg all overtly-heterosexual characters as homosexuals. Just that one. Chris Cooper did an excellent job of rounding that character out if you go back and watch it. The scene in the truck when Wes says "I hate them! they make me want to GONK!ing puke my guts out.' the look Chris Cooper throws him is amazing when you realize he's both hurt and proud and confused by his son in that second. Excellent.

2-1B
06-06-2002, 01:46 PM
I was alarmed to learn that Jenna Malone was only 16 when they filmed that movie. I knew Hayden was 19/20, but she was only 16. :eek:

Jedi Clint
10-14-2002, 01:43 AM
Having never been in that situation, I'm not sure I can say that I would have given the house to some stranger after all that went into it, even if my grandpa had wronged her and her family. Maybe there was too much emotional baggage in that house for Sam. This movie had me feeling, and it has left me thinking. IMO, that is an excellent combination.

mini-rock
10-14-2002, 02:59 AM
My wife bought the DVD 'cause she thinks Hayden is HOT :rolleyes:, but I was surprised by Life as a House, and Hayden really is awesome in this. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I didn't see any similarities with American Beauty.