PDA

View Full Version : So...I opened everything....and...

INDIANA
04-14-2002, 12:51 PM
..I am really unimprssed by most of it. Sorry. There are some highlights, most are one-pose wonders, others are disappointments. Here are just a few comments.

I like the magnets / I hate the magnets.

Anyone expecting these lightsabers to come hurling into a figures hand for across the room better re-think this one. AT BEST your looking at about 1/2 inch before the thing kicks in. Mace windu and Kit Fisto's are a waste of time. NOW...I don't know why they didn't think of this one...If Hasbro put a little magnet on the figures' belts that looked like part of the belt, the lightsabers would stick like magic and look cool.

Metal Lightsabers.....GREAT....PLEASE do weapons soon!!!

Plastic lightsaber blades.....suck...bend too easily...redesign them soon.

Taun We....more plastic in the bubble than the figure. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Paint jobs....I think I had to remove stray pieces of paint from every figure.

3PO looks better than I thought....SURPRISINGLY so does ANAKIN/Peasant. I will probably do a modification to remove the lightsaber and put a regular had there.

I like the blast effects...but they need to be LESS blasty.

I like the saber reflections...again less reflecty.

Keep all the "FORCE" effects...not impressed by a single one.

SBD's blast effect should be BLUE as if hit by a Clonetrooper.

Really wish Obi-Wan fit in the Jedi Starfighter.

Really wish we had a "plain" Anakin Skywalker/Jedi Knight right away....again that fit's in the speeder.

We need a decent Padme right away.

That was my 2 cents. Thanks for reading.

dexter_finster
04-14-2002, 01:18 PM
I agree on all points... (I opened my figures too...)

hango fett
04-14-2002, 03:09 PM
here are the ones i hope to get one out of the pack...

1. mace windu
2. anikan (hangar duel)
3. clonetrooper
4. jango fett (final battle)
5. jango fett (kamino escape)
6. count dooku
7. kit fisto
8. obi-wan
9. qui-gon jinn (jedi master from saga line)
10. plo koon
11. luminara unduli
12.shaak ti
13. sasee tin
14 yoda
15 super battle droid

WML
hango

JEDIpartner
04-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA
..I am really unimprssed by most of it. Sorry. There are some highlights, most are one-pose wonders, others are disappointments.

I didn't think it would be too long before we heard this sort of thing. I've not been a fan of this line since we started seeing the progress models and heard what the gimmicks would be. I was think a great deal of what you have just confirmed.

Thanks for your opinion and your honesty!

Tycho
04-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Which ones are the big disappointments?

I am loving the new figures, so I am going to be hopefully very objective, and brief:

Luminara is not a figure. She is a statue. Nice looking. But so limited it might have been an Epic Force or "Unleashed."

Nikto Jedi - same.

JarJar - salt shaker in spite of actually having molded legs. What was the point? He could have saved money as a salt-shaker.

Taun We is a Bendie figure (I'm exaggerating, but not by much)

Anakin peasant you liked? Not even! The slit is all the way up under his arm and very pronounced on a new figure. This is not 1978! Also, with the poncho on - the way he looks a lot better because of his wide stance - the lightsaber can only come out and point at the ground.

The magnet feature was a cool idea, but as noted, the magnets are mis-powered (?). The gun tends to magnetize to the locking magnet in the box, so the box stays shut and Anakin's hand magnet, though nicely hidden, is too weak to work it. Maybe this will vary. I have 2 and only 1 is loose. I'm not getting many of this figure, though I intend to own up to 22 Anakins or something like that. I'll probably buy 1 more of this figure for 3 total, if even that. The pegwarmer of the collection is right here!

Obi-Wan by contrast, BTW, has a great magnet and his features work fine!!! (Good figure!)

OK THE FIGURES YOU'RE GONNA LIKE!

Geonosian Warrior, with poseable wings, articulated at the waist when I didn't expect it to be, and all other normal articulation. Balancing him is a little more difficult, and there's no holes on the bottom of the feet, but it just takes practice.

Dexter Jettster: Perfection! Plain and simple. You WILL like this figure!

SaeSee Tiin! - This is the way you do a pre-posed ACTION figure if you have to make him posed in the first place. Since we now have 2 different figures of SaeSee - one appropriate for the Jedi Council (even if he can't sit down) - you're going to think this figure of the Jedi pilot seriously rocks!

The Royal Guard - same story. This figure should have been done this well a long time ago. Too bad he only attacks in one direction (sort of). It's a pretty poseable figure, so maybe I have to experiment more with him. I don't have any scene to set these guys up in right now (the old guards suffice to go with my ROTJ scenes) so until Palpatine comes out for E2 ???? Maybe I'll get around to playing with these guys some more, but its the vehicles and all the other stuff that is exciting me the most!

Obi-Wan Kenobi - ok granted there will be better figures of our hero Obi-Wan coming along, but this figure (Coruscant Chase) is pretty darn good. He can't double-handle a lightsaber, but he does look cool (and fit) in Anakin's speeder and the Jedi Starfighter. (though we know other Obi-Wan figures will come along and be better). Still I'm not disappointed. Obi-Wan is pretty poseable too - and this is important as he's going to be my favorite hero character in Episode 2!

I haven't had time to open a lot of my other duplicate figures yet, as I dug into the ships totally! (I'll discuss that in another thread), but meanwhile other people here can review the figures I didn't get to yet.

Oh man this is getting to be a good year!

IcebergSlim
04-14-2002, 07:13 PM
You don't like the figures in general, but you liked the Anakin?!? Wow.

evenflow
04-14-2002, 07:33 PM
I havn't seen any up yet besides the pics, but i really lookinf forward to the Royal Guard.

DarkArtist
04-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Consider yourselves lucky, New Jersey hasn't even seen the new figures yet. All of my family and freinds have been on the lookout but nothing yet. Guess I will have to wait until Midnight Madness!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Oh no! How dare we wait until the legal release date to buy the figures . . . *Gasp!*:crazed:

LTBasker
04-14-2002, 11:31 PM
I would have to agree with everything except: the lightsaber energy blasts are uglay. :D

Thanks for the reviews though! Any chance on using the Geonosian Warrior's staff to prop him up?

Tycho
04-15-2002, 12:06 AM
He won't look like he's fighting with it if you use the staff that way.

It is better to use your patience ;)

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Too bad they did come with clear plastic stands so it would like they're flying. Holes in the feet would've good for this, you could have some on the ground walking while others were on stands (by pegs on foot pieces on the stand) and that would make an awesome diorama.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 12:19 AM
I found six of the basic figures yesterday and thought they looked great. since I haven't taken them out yet, I have to bow to Indy's and Tycho's reviews. I thought they all looked great except for Padme Amidala-Hollywood Blvd. Ho Disguise.

I liked the R2 sculpt, but the sound is really low. I don't know if it is due to a poor 'speaker' or the battery is low. It also doesn't look like you can replace the battery. I like the whole magnet idea, but it looks like they're too small to have them do really cool effects.

Is it just me or does Kit Fisto look like a Rasta alien from some cheesy 50's sci-fi flick. "People of earth, I have come to bring you the gift of alien ganja." :)

Tycho
04-15-2002, 12:27 AM
I don't have a Padme I'm ready to open yet, but it is ridiculous that you will not be able to position her gun arm down at her side.

I may only keep one for my Arena scene (in which case the figure stays on my carded wall "carded" for a while - as I don't really keep figures in a carded set - I just like to admire them packaged for a few months or so...)

But I would have to hope we get a "normal Padme" from the POST-Arena Battle (she'll still have the ripped shirt and animal wounds, but not be stuck with her arm in the air when you assemble a scene AFTER the great battle). Resculpt alert!

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Please Tycho, don't jinx it. :) I hope this one's like the original QA from EP1 so we get better ones later, like QA Coruscant, Throne Room, Royal Decoy, etc. It is so out of proportion that it looks like it has on a mega wonder bra, or at least two pair of tube socks.

JediTricks
04-15-2002, 01:17 AM
MC, I am 99% sure that R2-D2 (and all SW toys with packed-in batteries) have removable/replacable batteries.

subMERGE
04-15-2002, 06:59 AM
Unlike most, I actually liked Padme. I thought it was a great figure. I could also feel this way as I'm biasis since Padme is one of my favorite characters.

hango fett
04-15-2002, 11:39 AM
she is also a pretty good looking character too, but thats for another time...only 7 days to wait for me :(

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 11:44 AM
I do have to admit that the facial sculpt and detailing seems to be rather accurate...

...especially in comparison to the DELUXE OBI-WAN facial sculpt and detailing. By the by... how IS the Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase face? Does anyone know/have an opinion if they have gotten it?

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I do have to admit that the facial sculpt and detailing seems to be rather accurate...

...especially in comparison to the DELUXE OBI-WAN facial sculpt and detailing. By the by... how IS the Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase face? Does anyone know/have an opinion if they have gotten it?

I don't think that real scan got a very accurate likeness of Ewan. When you look at it you can obviously see that it's supposed to be OB1, just not Ewan as OB1. The hair color's also lighter than it should be. I have both the OB1 sets, but I can't picture how they compare to each other at the moment. They do look slightly different however.

JT, I would think that Hasbro would make R2 that way, but if you look at the packaging it doesn't say you can put in replacement batteries, or even what the batteries are in R2. The Jango deluxe figure does say it accepts replacement batteries and says which ones they are and how many are required. I haven't opened my R2 yet, so I don't know if there is a place to insert them.

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Is the Geonosian Warrior worth looking around for early or is it one of those figures which is good but better if you wait? :)

If there isn't a way to replace the R2 batteries now, there will be. Just wait for the batteries to eat through. :D

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidate
The hair color's also lighter than it should be. I have both the OB1 sets, but I can't picture how they compare to each other at the moment. They do look slightly different however.

Yeah... the hair is WAY too light. I bought a great colour from the Testors model paint line and it is MUCH better! The colour is FLAT BROWN. It's not really BROWN brown. It's almost a light reddish tan. I repainted the DELUXE OBI-WAN'S hair and beard, leaving just enough of the blonde showing and it looks MUCH improved.

Tycho
04-15-2002, 03:58 PM
The Geonosian Warrior is one of the coolest army builders to collect!

So please wait and see if there will ever be any of them left after I get 25 of them! Thanks. :D

(by sarcasm is almost as evil as my premeditated intent for April 23! Heh-heh-ha-ha-ha!)

Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase is a good likeness, I think. It's the Deluxe Figure that strangely looks like Ben Afflick or whatever. This could be great for a Jay and Silent Bob figure collection though. With flipping action features, Ben Afflick might be able to take on Mark Hamill as the arch villain Crock-Knocker! Yeah!

Too bad Padme, with all her attributes, doesn't look more like Shannon Elizabeth as "Justice" the Boo-Boo Kitty-F.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 04:40 PM
That Padme is suffering from Marvel-itis. Just look at the bosoms at all the X-Men chicks and tell me they weren't designed to be Victoria secret mannikins. I know she's not a 14 year-old in this movie, but a 36 DD? Who designed this figure? Bob Guccioni's magazine designer?

Jedi_Rainman
04-15-2002, 08:40 PM
I bought an extra Padme and opened it, first ever figure to open. I got slave Leia, but now I got a slave Padme and she is all chained up...lol

Tycho
04-16-2002, 03:06 AM
Jedi_Rainman. Would you mind reviewing the figure. I haven't opened mine and I'm scared I'll only want one and will require a resculpt of Padme to make her do anything but shoot in the arena. The figure doesn't appear that useful for the rest of my scenes I need her in that outfit for.

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 03:44 AM
I learned to appreciate the vintage Vader over time because I had no other choice. I've also learned to appreciate the Outland Peasant Anakin, for now. When the Hangar duel Anakin comes out I will probably drop my Peasant Anakin in a box and forget about him forever. I can be comforted in the fact that I didn't spend any money on this Anakin, as I got him in a trade for a Bespin Escape Leia I had laying around. The "make-up chest" is a really nice accessory that would almost make the figure worth buying simply for diorama purposes. Except that I don't build dioramas.;)

Final verdict? He sucks, he's terrible, probably the Monkey Face Leia or R5-D4 of the Ep2 line; but I still like him.:D

INDIANA
04-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Everyone has..and is entitled to..their opinion..

The Geonosian Warrior looks good, but has 2 BIG set backs. There are no holes in his feet to stand him, and he DOES NOT stand well. He kind of balances on 3 toes and if the wind blows or you even THINK about opening those wings...forget it.

Taun We and the Battle Droid ARE bend-ems. VERY soft and rubbery. My Battle Droid fits nice on the REAL stand and STILL kind of bends over.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-16-2002, 11:16 AM
I'm surprised everyone's so down on Farmer Anakin. I think it's a nice figure. The likeness is pretty good and you can remove the poncho to pose him better. It comes with that huge case, so you can put other stuff in there besides the included blaster pistol.

I know many people are down on the integrated lightsaber, but I really like it. It's a neat throwback to the vintage line. What I would like to know is why did Hasbro make that figure the only one with a lightsaber like that and not another Jedi or sith figure? You would think they would do at least the Count Dooku or OB1 figure like that too, just to be somewhat consistant.

Jayspawn
04-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Right on INDIANA! Bust those figures open. Thats what I'm gonna do when I get mine on the 23rd. I agree with you on the Padme. We need a new one, one thats not stuck in that stupid pose.

INDIANA
04-16-2002, 12:43 PM
I too was not totally disappointed with the Anakin. Take off the poncho and he's better to pose. The likeness is good. I will probably custom him without a lightsaber.

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 12:51 PM
The sarcasm intended in my Peasant Anakin post was totally lost due to the fact that I was half asleep while I was typing it. What I meant to imply was that while this figure was not perfect and has a few glaring flaws, I still like the figure and he is one of my favorites in the line.