PDA

View Full Version : Huey Snootles and the News...

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 10:56 AM
It really just occurred to me why I don't like the JEDI ROCKS track from the "Special Edition" of ROTJ. It sounds too much like they are going to break out into a rousing Huttese version of "Hip to be Square" or something. The second half of the track (the first part in the film) sounds like something lifted off of Huey's 1988 disc "Small World". If they would have done the arrangement similarly, but had substituted instruments to play those parts, it would have sounded more "alien".

For as "trite" and "80s disco" as "Lapti Nek" sounded, it was still unique and not terrestrial sounding due to some of the instrument sounds.

Anyhow... I just wanted to get this off my chest. I hate this sequence due to the lame song.

Beast
04-15-2002, 12:20 PM
I dunno, I actually prefer the change. In my opinion, it gives the whole scene alot more energy and life. Besides, I always hated that one line of the old song "He's Macho Man." It always made me groan and shake my head. Infact the only scene of the SE's of the movies I didn't care for, was the Greedo scene. But then, most people can say that. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-15-2002, 12:52 PM
Well, this sounds like a fun thread! :) A few thoughts:

Partnr - I can't quite follow you on the Huey Lewis thing (maybe TPM SE will feature "I Want a New Dug" :D ) because it's been soooo long since I heard it. But I will say that I like certain parts of the sequence. The little turtle guy (what's his name?) - I LOVE it when he starts blowing on his . . . instrument thing . . . with that quirky sound just before he has to start over. Joh Yowza, I don't care much for the animation (the "let's look at the inside of his mouth because we have CGI" move was way too much) but I thought the voice was cool.

Binksy - I absolutely hate the Greedo thing, and if it didn't exist I would be fine with the SE's. Well, I hate the sarlacc too but not nearly as much as that Greedo thing. Jabba is groan inducing, only because he looks bad. The scene itself I don't mind.

Partnr - now that you used "disco" and "Lapti Nek" together, I'm getting an image of Kylie Minogue covering it. Damn, she'd make a great Sy Snootles! (well, without the ugliness and all :rolleyes: )

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Yeah... They should have gotten like Moby to do something with Kylie and that would have worked out pretty well! I mean, seriously, both of them had been making music for about 10 years each by the time the "Special Editions" came out.

Gee... ol' Kyles could replace one of the dancers. :kiss:

Really... my point is the new song, while livelier, had too much OBVIOUS brass on it as well as Hammond Organ. Think back to the Cantina Band... they used steel drums and other more standard instrumentations in that one and I think the sound came off as a little more familiar, but not common.

The big problem is that they let Jerry Hey, who is predominantly a horn arranger (sometimes orchestral arranger in pop songs), write the whole song without any input from Williams.

El Chuxter
04-15-2002, 01:21 PM
While I like the second part of Jedi Rocks, the reason I like it--it sounds like a fairly decent blues jam--makes it not fit in Star Wars.

2-1B
04-15-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Really... my point is the new song, while livelier, had too much OBVIOUS brass on it as well as Hammond Organ. Think back to the Cantina Band... they used steel drums and other more standard instrumentations in that one and I think the sound came off as a little more familiar, but not common.

The big problem is that they let Jerry Hey, who is predominantly a horn arranger (sometimes orchestral arranger in pop songs), write the whole song without any input from Williams.

*holding my feeble musically ignorant brain and stepping back* :D Good points, I'm not very knowledgeable about music, but that explanation makes a lot of sense.

Yeah... They should have gotten like Moby to do something with Kylie and that would have worked out pretty well! I mean, seriously, both of them had been making music for about 10 years each by the time the "Special Editions" came out.

I'm actually not familiar with Moby's tunes, other than his Gwen S. collaboration ( ;) ) and the """mix""" (I use that term lightly :rolleyes: )he did of an Aerosmith tune.

As for KM - as long as she doesn't incorporate her cover of Locomotion! :D And with her there, Boba Fett would have survived because I doubt he would have left with the extermination party. :crazed:

I loved it when Ian McKellan referred to Kylie as his "fave disco diva". :happy:

187-Maul
04-15-2002, 02:29 PM
the new song doesn't actually bother me and overall I like the SE more then the original - except that greedo thing but I don't care THAT much about it as many of you guys
why not let greedo be a VERY bad shooter? I don't really care...

Rogue II
04-15-2002, 09:39 PM

I thought she was one of the dancers. Rystall to be exact.

Anyway, I don't really have a prefference between the 2 songs, but I found the animationsin SE of Snoodles and Joh Yowza got annoying. Oh Mr. Lucas, what were you thinking?

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Besides, I always hated that one line of the old song "He's Macho Man." It always made me groan and shake my head.

Uhhh... what song are YOU listening to? I have the stupid SHEET MUSIC for that song and NOWHERE does she sing that. I think you are thinking about "Can't Stop The Music" with the Villiage People. I hate them... now THEY suck!

Beast
04-15-2002, 11:48 PM
Well, if she doesn't actually sing that line, it sure the heck sounds like it. Infact its become a long running joke with me and alot of people about the original version of the song from Jabba's Palace. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
04-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Okay... well- I'm telling you right now. She doesn't sing that in the song... You can go about your business. Move along... move along...

Maybe I'll be really geeky later on today and type out the lyrics to BOTH songs... :D

Eternal Padawan
04-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Okay... well- I'm telling you right now. She doesn't sing that in the song... You can go about your business. Move along... move along...

Maybe I'll be really geeky later on today and type out the lyrics to BOTH songs... :D

here's hoping...:rolleyes:

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 10:10 AM
I for one don't like either version that much. I think it would've been better to have Huey Lewis and the News in ROTJ than the Rebo Band. I just never liked the music at all, whether it be the old or the new.

I didn't like the old version because it wasn't very good music, and I don't like the SE version because it tries too hard to be music.

But that Back to the Future soundtrack was good. ;)

Jargo
04-16-2002, 06:09 PM
I don't really recall lapti Neck or whatever the heck it's called as i didn't have a video player until five years ago so never owned a ROTJ video. I saw it a couple of times but never owned a copy. never had the soundtrack either. Probably get called a heretic now won't I?

Anyways, i like Jedi Rocks for the first bit but the part where they break off into a jazz riff just makes me wish for a big editing suite to rip that crap off the CD and mix it all away. Similarly i hate the extra portion of the cantina band number. it starts off okay then goes all wrong. way too real world. And the steel drums bother me something chronic. UGH!

Possibly the most awkward and clumsy and least proper english reply I've ever typed. I must be tired.......

JediTricks
04-17-2002, 03:07 AM
I plain ol' hate Jedi Rocks, both the cinematic and music versions. Hate hate hate.

JEDIpartner
04-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Do you really like it that much JT? :happy:

JediTricks
04-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Even less!

Taichi
04-29-2002, 04:56 PM
Man, SW fans are totally afraid of change.....

I liked Jedi Rocks.....

I loved the entire SE, including the Greedo shot first scene.....

maybe I'm just pandering to the pretty stuff they added, but I loved the SEs......and thought they were an excellent addition to the SW universe......

187-Maul
04-29-2002, 07:13 PM
not every SW fan is afraid of change, taichi
some forumites (don't remember who) want to change the hole space battles and stuff
that would IMO be a wrong change to the OT - I like the SE cause they didn't CHANGE anything (ok,ok jabba but that was kinda necessary and some lines), they only ADDED stuff which is pretty cool :)

JediTricks
04-30-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm not afraid of change, just afraid of BAD changes. I like some of the SE changes, like Vader's shuttle comments in ESB, but not this one - "Jedi Rocks" is really yucky IMO.

Taichi
04-30-2002, 06:29 PM
And we're all entitled to it......

I think that it would be a disservice to those who are fans of the original versions, however, to not get a chance to own those versions on DVD......

I think they should include all three versions of the movies on the DVD releases......

Original uncut theatrical version (CBS FOX EDIT)

Special Editions

UPDATED Special Editions

187-Maul
04-30-2002, 08:14 PM
yeah that would be the easiest way to do it

man I can't wait for the OT DVD set although it'll take about 3 and a half years from now until we'll finally see it

El Chuxter
05-31-2002, 01:13 PM
I have transcribed Lapti Nek as well as I could figure out:

I turned in a Guernsey
So? Hocky chicky his-jow, ooh?
OW! I'm caught between two superstars
Could jazzman exert his eyes?

Jimmy touched my mommy
Could Nate be under Zima?
Eh, Lapti Nek's a nothing

Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, who you think we are?
Lapti Nek
Keep your hat on it, just keep it there
Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, Zabu's all you get
Woah!

I turned in a Guernsey
Jimmy touched a mobile
Would you make me some more Zima?
Eh, Lapti Nek's a no fun
Well don't pick any superstar

Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, 'cause you think we are
Lapti Nek
Keep your hat on it, just keep it there
Lapti Nek
Woah!

Man zoos his eyes!

Jimmy touched his mommy
Well, main New York is zoomin'
Eh, Lapti Nek's a no-pan

Lapti Nek
Better run to Jacque, who you think we are?
Lapti Nek
Keep your hat away, just keep it there
Lapti Nek
Man zoos his eyes!

Woah!
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Wow!

Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Lapti Nek, Lapti Nek
Wow!

Jedi Rocks coming soon. :crazed:

JediTricks
06-01-2002, 02:55 AM
Smokin' the "Gungan Green" again Chux? ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2002, 11:25 PM
I dunno, I kinda like Jedi Rocks. I can't even find a stinkin' mp3 of it, though, and it MAKES ME MAD!!!