PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine

Davros224
04-15-2002, 03:59 PM
What happened to the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine figure? Not only is he not listed for release on the 23rd, his pics are gone from the SAGA site? Is the future Emperor going the way of Lott Dodd in the "never to be made" list?

Beast
04-15-2002, 04:07 PM
He's coming, just it will be this summer alongside Orn Fre Taa and a few of the other less kid friendly figures. Hasbro learned in 1999 not to release a bunch of "boring" old men right off the bat, when they released Senator Palpatine at the start of the E1 line.

So they are releasing the more kid friendly main charecters and cool aliens at the start, and then go to more collector orientated figures later on. No worry, he is still coming, just not right away.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Davros224
04-15-2002, 04:16 PM
Well that's their call, but to me Palpy is an important character. And no Darth Sidious figure either? Is he in EP II I wonder?

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Hasbro learned in 1999 not to release a bunch of "boring" old men right off the bat, when they released Senator Palpatine at the start of the E1 line.

So does that mean Dooku is not a boring old fart? I think if I were a young kid he would scare the crap out of me.

If that's the reason why Hasbro is holding back on the Palp. figure, I don't think they know their demographics. 90% of the people buying these figures are guys in their 20's or 30's who grew up with the figures when they were young. I bet I won't see one person buying stuff at midnight madness specifically for their kids and not for themselves.

Beast
04-15-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Davros224
Well that's their call, but to me Palpy is an important character. And no Darth Sidious figure either? Is he in EP II I wonder?
Barely, his only real apperances is at the end of the movie. It's unknown if he shows up in Hologram or not earlier in the movie. There has been no official confirmation as to that. But a minifigure of himm in holographic form is packed in with the Count Dooku: Dark Lord figure. So it was either in the script at one point and dropped, or he does pop up that way in the film. Here is the page from the comic where Sidious appears. Spoiler haters, do not open the following attatchment.

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 04:35 PM
Dude... you said "crap" and "fart" in the same thread! huh-huh-huhuhuhuh...

Yeah... I think they are holding him for the future release. I feel that this is a good idea as well. Seriously... what could you do with Palpatine if you were a kid.... *yawn*:o

Beast
04-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
So does that mean Dooku is not a boring old fart? I think if I were a young kid he would scare the crap out of me.

If that's the reason why Hasbro is holding back on the Palp. figure, I don't think they know their demographics. 90% of the people buying these figures are guys in their 20's or 30's who grew up with the figures when they were young. I bet I won't see one person buying stuff at midnight madness specifically for their kids and not for themselves.
Dooku wasn't going to be released on the 23rd either, originally. And most stores that got their cases in a while ago, probably won't have him in stock for the 23rd either. But Hasbro decided at the last minute to start shipping him with the Anakin: Hanger Duel wave.

And yes, thats the reason. All of the figures from May 3rd in 1999 sold pretty well, but most of the stores had to box up and ship back to Hasbro large amounts of Ric Olie, Senator Palpatine, Darth Sidious, and Chancellor Valorum because alot of them didn't sell. It's also why the stores pretty much forced Hasbro's hand into doing mostly re-sculpts in the E1 line. Because they said they wouldn't order anymore cases if Neimodians, Gungans, or Female figures were going to be included. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Yeah... I think they are holding him for the future release. I feel that this is a good idea as well. Seriously... what could you do with Palpatine if you were a kid.... *yawn*:o

Well, I'm sure someone could do a nursing home diorama with all the old dudes. In one room you could have Palpatine getting kidney dialysis, another could have Valorum getting a sponge bath (shudder!), and a third could be Sidious using his colostomy bag.

Throw in an Abe Simpson and a Hans Moleman figure for good measure too!

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 04:59 PM
okay... you need to stop right there. My mind is starting to cave in on itself.

evenflow
04-15-2002, 05:09 PM
He was one of the cooler characters. I can't wait for him.

RooJay
04-15-2002, 08:49 PM

I hear ya Mandy! I think Hasbro is way out of touch with their key demographic! I know lots of kids, and none of them count Star Wars toys as favorites (not even when Ep. 1 came out), and few of them have many Star Wars figures at all. Furthermore, I can't recall when the last time I saw someone under the age of 18 buying or asking their parents for Star Wars toys was. Their assumption that they make most of their money on Star Wars from kids has always seemed WAY off base to me. How could that be true knowing that LOTS of collectors make a habit of buying more than one of each and EVERY figure? I'm all for toys for kids (I do acknowledge the fact that their money HELPS keeping the product coming), but this line has always been, and should always be, aimed at the collectors who grew up loving Star Wars.

DeadEye
04-15-2002, 09:02 PM
True...but Dooku uses a lightsaber and kicks a lot of butt!

Rogue II
04-15-2002, 09:58 PM
not[/b] for themselves. [/B]

I think that Hasbro is trying to market this first wave for the kids. But, I don't understand how they can possibly think that they can compete with other action figures like Spiderman, Pokeman, and all those other toys kids seem to like. Since the POTF2 line first came out, I can count the times I've seen kids looking at buying them on 1 hand. Hasbro really needs to conduct a customer survey. Then, hopefully, they will realize that there is pretty much no market for Star Wars in the 5-12 year old age group.

Now, what would a kid do if they got a Palpy figure? Can anyone say M-80 or Bottle Rocket?

Mandalorian Candidat
04-15-2002, 10:12 PM
I've heard that the Palpatine figure is very similar to the Jedi ones like Anakin and OB1 with magnets. However instead of attracting lightsabers his figure attracts a can of prune juice and his walker accessory. :)

Rogue II
04-16-2002, 07:55 AM
I heard that there was an alternate ending to ROTJ. Vader and the Emperor turn Luke, and since there can only be 2, Palpy retires and moves to Florida. They even had the action figure planned out. Bermuda Shorts Palpatine with metal detector, and golf cart accessories. The figure even came with removeable sunglasses and a 2000 ballot checked with Pat Buchanon's name instead of Al Gore's.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I heard that there was an alternate ending to ROTJ. Vader and the Emperor turn Luke, and since there can only be 2, Palpy retires and moves to Florida. They even had the action figure planned out. Bermuda Shorts Palpatine with metal detector, and golf cart accessories. The figure even came with removeable sunglasses and a 2000 ballot checked with Pat Buchanon's name instead of Al Gore's.

Are you sure about that? I heard that the actual alternate ending was that Palpatine is just about to destroy Luke when he looks up at his watch and notices that it's almost 4 in the afternoon. He turns off his force lightning and says "Damn, I'm late for dinner. Wednesday is the Surf and Turf special." He then boards his Coupe De Ville and heads off down to Denny's going 20 MPH. :D

SirSteve
04-16-2002, 11:29 AM
http://www.myfigures.com/pa/index.html?item_id=29053

Jayspawn
04-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Darth Sidious is in Episode II. Remember, he's a phantom menace. Palpatine is a very cool figure and he'll be out later this year. I can't wait for him!

"I have got to get me one of those"

Rogue II
04-16-2002, 12:10 PM

Are you sure about that? I heard that the actual alternate ending was that Palpatine is just about to destroy Luke when he looks up at his watch and notices that it's almost 4 in the afternoon. He turns off his force lightning and says "Damn, I'm late for dinner. Wednesday is the Surf and Turf special." He then boards his Coupe De Ville and heads off down to Denny's going 20 MPH. :D

Must have slipped my mind. I think as he was heading to Denny's at 20 MPH (with his turn signal on the entire way) he remembered he couldn't stay too long because he had to catch the 6pm showing of MADLOCK. He was also considering buying an RV and touring of the galaxy.

bigbarada
04-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Jar Jar makes a good point that many collectors don't realize. The retailers pretty much have Hasbro by the cajones. They (the Wal-Marts, Targets, TRUs) decide which figures will get made and which ones will sell. So if you are sick of Hasbro making resculpts, don't complain to Hasbro since they would love to make every figure from the films. Complain to the large retail stores, since they are the ones who decide which figures we want.

Darth Evil
04-16-2002, 02:21 PM
I want a new Palpatine figure, he's one of my favourite characters, hopefully he'll be released soon.

Mandalorian Candidat
04-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Jar Jar makes a good point that many collectors don't realize. The retailers pretty much have Hasbro by the cajones. They (the Wal-Marts, Targets, TRUs) decide which figures will get made and which ones will sell. So if you are sick of Hasbro making resculpts, don't complain to Hasbro since they would love to make every figure from the films. Complain to the large retail stores, since they are the ones who decide which figures we want.

HUH?? WM is picking our figures? I find that really hard to believe. Their suits are going to sit down with Hasbro and say make this one and that one? Hasbro is the friggin manufacturer, they're the ones making the figures. I don't buy that they would want to make every figure from the films. What proof is there that the retailers are dictating the products?

If Hasbro wanted to, they would make the figures and just sell them on a website directly to consumers without the distributors and retailers. They do their market research and know what people want. The retailers can only accept or reject to carry a particular line. They can't say they'll only take certain cases or assortments. When they order a certain collection, they can't specify to only get a specific wave. They get what they Hasbro gives them.

By that logic, cereal makers don't make the decision as to what they make, the retailers do. Car manuacturers don't design the cars, the dealerships do.

I'm not jumping down anyone's throat. I'd just like to know what proof there is that this alleged practice is going on.

Beast
04-16-2002, 06:26 PM
The stores do in a way, make the choices in whats gets made, they did with Episode I. They state that they won't buy anymore figures from Hasbro if they include female figures, cause they don't sell as well...and Hasbro cancels Shmi and Sabe.

They tell Hasbro that they don't want anymore figures of Neimodians clogging the pegs, or they quit carrying their product, and that led to Hasbro cancelling Lott Dod and Holo Nute.

They also told Hasbro that they didn't want anymore figures of Gungans on the pegs, due to how badly the E1 Boss Nass and Jar Jar sold. So, Hasbro cancelled the Gungan Warrior.

They are also responsible for the fact we didn't get all that all that many Jedi's in the E1 line. Thanks to them stating that they only wanted predominatly main charecters. They are also the reason Maul was done so many time, cause they knew that each new version of him sold really well. :(

Stores weild alot of power in what gets produced, if TRU, Wal-Mart, and other major retailers tell Hasbro they will stop ordering their product, Hasbro sadly has to listen, as thats a majority of their marketshare. Luckily most of the cancelled items from the E1 line did show up later in the POTJ line. And we should be getting Holo Nute and Lott Dod this year. Thank the maker. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
04-16-2002, 08:28 PM
JarJar is right (NEVER thought I'd EVER have to use that phrase! Based on the character I mean, and not the poster!) Stores ulitimately have a say in what we are offered and can effectively kill a line by under-ordering (anyone remember that really cool second assortment of Skeleton Warriors figures that never hit? How about the Simpsons Springfield Main Street Playset that was cancelled because retailers didn't order enough?) We don't get vehicles regularly anymore because of this; although we consumers need to share in the blame for what is produced and what is not by passing on these types of items when they do hit retail.

IcebergSlim
04-16-2002, 09:58 PM
Why do some people expect every figure to be out on the 23rd?

Tycho
04-17-2002, 01:55 AM
Because I've gotten 22 of them that have shown up on E-bay, though I bought mine at Wal*Mart.

Another forums-user here Nestea Fett, has gotten 27 of them from retail stores.

E-bay has demonstrated that up to 32 of them are circulating. Check the Saga Toys thread "I can't believe we're getting over 30 figures" for the complete list of what's been found and what we've witnessed being scalped. Those are good clues and that thread will have more to come.