PDA

View Full Version : How Many People Actually Play With the Figures??

IcebergSlim
04-15-2002, 03:04 PM
There seems to be a dislike for the figures that are in static poses, since they don't have a high "play factor". So my question is, who plays with the figures, and who just has them for display? I'm curious since I don't know anybody who actually plays with them.

BanthaPoodoo
04-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Well, being 25, I dont play with them (although the kid in me sure finds it hard sometimes) I look at them as works of art really.

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 03:10 PM
I do... I play with the figures. Sorry- I can't help it. It's far too much fun and a great stress reliever. It helps let the mind wander and the imagination grow!

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 03:12 PM
I play with them as much as I can. :D I just remembered though, when I was little and I would get stuff like Batman figs and they'd have gimmicks in them like pop-up arm action or something similar to some of gimmicks on the AOTC figures after awhile I got bored of the figures cause I wanted to play with the figure, not the gimmick.

CrossWizard
04-15-2002, 03:13 PM
I do not play with my figures as I did when I was a child, like making stories, giving the figures dialogue etc., but I do like to sometimes have the figures in my hand, probably pose it, look at it, and change their accesories.

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 03:17 PM
That's the best part though! Lightsaber noises, blaster shots, ricochets, yells, ship fly-bys, etc. :D

JEDIpartner
04-15-2002, 03:18 PM
slightly older thread HERE! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5502&highlight=plays)

DeadEye
04-15-2002, 04:02 PM
I recalled having posted in that one... But yes, I once played with my Star Wars figures for five and a half hours...NO BREAKS AT ALL. Not even to the bathroom... I was wound up, I guess. :crazed:

But it had a movie-quality storyline, and it lasted long enough to be a whole new trilogy of Star Wars movies. Trouble is, I can barely remember what it was about...:(

evenflow
04-15-2002, 04:12 PM
I will buy a couple that i want to open. I really wont consider it playing, but i will be checking out the features and stuff.

hango fett
04-15-2002, 04:16 PM
i'm 15 and a half and i do both display them, and play with them. wheres the harm in that? i'm not under 4 years old and i won't try and but the lightsagers in my mouth...

Jargo
04-15-2002, 04:41 PM
Yes and yes. I display everything loose so that i can play with them. I'm 34 and determined not to turn into a boring old fart who wears grey and sits in a bar playing dominoes. I want to keep my mind active and the creative juices flowing until I'm old and incapable of going to the bathroom on my own so I play with my figures and make the noises and battle it out with goodies versus baddies and sometimes make up stories for the characters to act out. I've usually got a couple of figures with me when I visit here so that as I wait hours for a page to load I can play. People who don't play are repressing something deep inside. They aren't whole people. Play is the most therapuetic pastime there is. Unwind your mind and let the play be free.

Battle Droid
04-15-2002, 04:48 PM
Mine mostly collect dust on the shelves. Though I admit I play with them ever once in a while.

Evan Nash
04-15-2002, 05:17 PM
I open all of my stuff, but I don't play with them.

I think the reason these figures appeal to people to much is because it's like having your own miniture version of the actual character. Kinda like it's alive, but really not.

I just display them all in my shelf. They are fun to look at and admire.

Unit-01
04-15-2002, 07:04 PM
I have a WILD imagination. I have like 20 unwritten novels in my head (not SW ;) ). When I used to play with my figs I PLAYED with them. I might just fool around with them once in a while but not get into it. Guess it's because my room is full of so much junk there's no where to do it :( . I made the cantina out of these old blocks I had. Took pictures but my Grandma has them, guess I won't be seeing those :D . I've been dying away so to say. I tried getting back into it but I would set them up (like a Hoth battleground) and be done in 5min because I got bored.

Sith Lord 0498
04-15-2002, 07:30 PM
I don't usually play with the action figures. That's a big reason why the static poses don't bother me. I prefer to think of them as miniature statues and, as someone posted earlier, as works of art (except of course the crappier looking figures).

But I do play with the ships and the lightsabers. My fiancee and I had a couple lightsaber duels going this past Friday night when I snagged the Dooku and Anakin sabers off a pallet in K-Mart and got through the register w/o incident. But I'll fly the ships around just for fun--especially the TIE Interceptor (b/c it's my favorite ship) and the Jedi Starfighter b/c it's small enough to handle easily and the pop-off wings are really cool.

So...the short version: I play with the ships and sabers but not the figures

Although that deluxe Darth Tyranus is strangely addicting... :)

Jedi_Rainman
04-15-2002, 07:37 PM
I have all my figures in protective cases so they stay clean and don't bend or get bent up!

IcebergSlim
04-17-2002, 09:43 AM
I don't know if I should laugh or cry

JEDIpartner
04-17-2002, 10:48 AM
You could always not ask questions to which you don't want answers.

Starfig873
04-17-2002, 11:21 AM
I'd be inhuman if I didn't play with these plastic buggers :D

And I've said time and time again how I'll make the lightsaber noises and blaster noises. :) That's just me.

Now Action Fleet...wow, I had such a good time with those. I built whole bases from rubbermaid containers and had my X-Wings and A-Wings attack it. And remember, I'm 18 too ;)

JetsAndHeels
04-17-2002, 12:30 PM
The ones I open I usually keep displayed on shelves and the like, but yes I do play with them sometimes. Especially the vehicles and ships, because I do open all of them. It is a great stress reliever, like JEDIpartnr said, and it helps me escape the world and get away sometimes. To open them and not do anything with them would be a waste!!

Bosskman
04-17-2002, 08:07 PM
I play with mine from time to time but when I do I don't re-enact the movies, I put them in all sorts of weird situations and sometimes my figures act out of character with their movie counterparts. The alens are my fovorites to play with, they've all stolen the Falcon at one time or another. (for some reason most of my scenarios revolve around staling the falcon) I also take the opportunity to enhance my hatred for characters like aurra sing. She usually ends up dead evry time, sorta like Kenny from South Park. That's the way I've always played. Mostly though I just display them on shelves and re-arrange tham from time to time. Strange thing is, the more I re-arrange them, the better my displays look. I hate it when they get dusty though, especially the vehicles with stickers.

Wolfwood319
04-17-2002, 08:11 PM
This is like the ump-teenth thread about this, isn't it? This has happened a lot lately as well, methinks. I guess its too much work to look through other threads.:rolleyes:

Yes, I play with them. They are toys, and thus I use them for what they're for.

NesteaFett
04-17-2002, 11:31 PM
Well, being 19 and in a dorm room is hard. My roomate is mad because he's experiencing the "Attack of the Clones" all too much. They're everywhere. But, as I said, it's hard to play with the figures when you're in a dorm. However, I'll be going home in a few weeks and I can feel a whole day of play coming about. I've got all the new figures and can't wait to try them out on the carpet.

mark2d2
04-18-2002, 12:32 AM
Guilty as charged. Commtech Greedo especially. He's eagerly awaiting his new TIE BOMBER. And both R4-M9 and R3-T7 have been getting alot of use as well . . .

he-ro
04-18-2002, 08:43 AM
I don't play with the figs, but I do play with the vehicles. I mainly display my figs/store them, and display AND play with the vehicles.

Quite-Gone Jim
04-18-2002, 09:14 AM
Like a lot of other people, I primarily display the figures, but play with the ships (Especially when I'm feeling really stressed). But every once in a while, I do play with some of the figures:D