PDA

View Full Version : What does i.LINK and a USB connector do?

Grif
04-15-2002, 06:49 PM
You can tell I am not a computer nerd.
I was wondering what these two things do. You can hook them up to the Playstation 2. Someone please help me.

jw_bryant
04-15-2002, 10:48 PM
well, the USB is to connect Key boards and mice and such, but im not exactly sure what the iLink is for. is it a Firewire port?

Boba Rhett
04-16-2002, 01:26 AM
a Universal Serial Bus, or USB, is for connecting peripherals to your PC/console/etc. :)

"It's there so you don't have to crack the case open" :D

I-links are cables used as ways of communication between two things.

pthfnder89
04-17-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jw_bryant
well, the USB is to connect Key boards and mice and such, but im not exactly sure what the iLink is for. is it a Firewire port?

Yes iLink and Firewire are different names for the same connection. iLink is the name Sony came up with and FireWire is the name that Apple Computer uses. But they both refer to an ieee 1394 connector, but since that's hard to say :D Sony and Apple came up with their own names. Confusing huh? :rolleyes:

On the Playstation 2, the iLink port can be used to connect several PS2s together and play multiplayer games like Grand Turismo 3. I've done it before and it can be pretty fun, but you have to have 2 PS2s, 2 TVs, and two copies of the game you want to play so it's too big of a pain in the *** to bother doing.:(